[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - A History of Britain

A History of Britain

A History of Britain

Postby bellis » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:21 pm

Has anyone watched "A History of Britain"? It doesn't appear under MK's entry on IMDB but he's listed as doing a reading in four of the episodes in the entry for the series

The are 15 one-hour episodes and some dedicated person has posted all of them on YouTube in 157 videos!

Some of them have been deleted but the ones MK is credited on - Beginnings, Conquest!, Nations and King Death are still there.
bellis

Re: A History of Britain

Postby bee » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:39 am

Oh yeah I did a couple of years ago (still have the box set) and enjoyed it very much (though Mr. Schama could have spent a little more time on the War of the Roses, one of my favourite time periods). :thumbsup:

I read somewhere that after the series ran for the first time, there was a sudden increase in the number of history students at university, little wonder at that. Well too late for me, but along with FW and the discovery of author Sharon Penman it certainly led to a huge interest in (mainly) British history and monarchy and a long string of historical novels and the odd non-fiction one. In the same vein, I enjoyed David Starkey's "Monarchy" series.

As for MK's participation it is wonderful as ever but minimal. He reads a couple of lines in each of the four episodes that you mention. Something to look forward to when watching the series, but if you are "only" in it for that, you can safely stick with the Youtube videos...
There is no one else...
bee

Postby bellis » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:12 pm

Thanks for your reply, bee. Following your recommendation and the mainly positive reviews I've read , I've put the first couple of DVDs on my rental list, having also become more interested in history inthe past few years. It'll also make a change from Nordic noir which I've been indulging in recently!
bellis

Postby Jillybean » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:54 am

Whole episodes of A History of Britain were loaded onto YT a few months back by the Documentary Channel. It seems only 7 of the 15 were loaded, but luckily those included the episodes Mr K was credited to :biggrin:

I hope you can get them in your country:

There's something about you fascinates me...
Jillybean

Postby mohairMK » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:45 am

"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Return to Voice