[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - They Fought in the Fields

They Fought in the Fields

3: The French Drop(Feb '41);Enemy Fire(Feb '41);They Fought In the Fields(April '41); War of Nerves(June '41)

2: Fifty Ships (Sept '40); Among the Few (Sept '40); War Games (Oct '40); The Funk Hole (Oct '40)

1: The German Woman(May '40);The White Feather(May '40);A Lesson in Murder(June '40);Eagle Day(Aug '40)

They Fought in the Fields

Postby bellis » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:04 am

This news item reminded me of the parachute which Barbara Hicks made into dresses

The clip from the Antiques Roadshow which featured it can be viewed here
bellis

Re: They Fought in the Fields

Postby Wolesley » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:10 am

Fascinating - and my late mother-in-law lived in Redditch at that time! She probably would have joined the ladies, too!

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby ayresorchids » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:05 pm

Taking a close look at the opening scenes of this episode, I noticed for the first time that the Home Guardsman--who greets the team when they come to investigate the death of the German parachutist--is also a clergyman.
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:58 pm

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:19 am

It always amazing to me that no matter how many times these episodes are watched, there always seems to be something new to find. I trust you have both watched this episode a few times. :lol: :lol:

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby starlight » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:23 am

Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:19 pm

For the last couple of months, for various frustrating reasons, I haven't had much time to myself, but I did take time out to ask one or two people about this question, because it was nagging at me. When no one appeared to know, I sent an email to the Imperial War Museum. Obviously, the folk at the IWM have been very busy, too, because I've only just now received a reply. Seems that the admin of the Worthing website has got his facts wrong or they were particular to his location, because the IWM historian is "fairly sure" that members of the clergy were allowed to join the HG, and says that Norman Longmate's book The Real Dad's Army: the Story of the Home Guard, published by Arrow Books, contains a photograph of a clergyman doing rifle drill. So, presumably, it was a matter of choice or the particular policy of this or that Christian denomination (if the latter, neither Anglicanism nor Methodism has a clue as to the answer!).

Now I'm wondering about other religious bodies, but I don't have the time right now to enquire any further!
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:41 pm

starlight

Postby ayresorchids » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:59 pm

ayresorchids

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:26 pm

Lynnedean

Postby ayresorchids » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:30 pm

hee. Ever the trouble-maker...
:biggrin:
ayresorchids

Postby historianheidi » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:21 pm

The Worthing article goes on to say that several members of the clergy signed up regardless, so maybe the church turned a blind eye and eventually the home guard decided that they needed all the volunteers they could get.
historianheidi

Postby starlight » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:21 am

starlight

Postby Samfan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:52 am

Just watched this episode again, and it dawned on me just how much poor Foyle was getting 'flack' from women. I didn't realize how much Barbara Hicks ragged on him, until toward the end at the chestnut tree and then the bench. And Joan, too, giving him a hard time. :lol:

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Wolesley » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:03 am

Wolesley

Postby jewell » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:59 pm

In addition to what Lesley said - and for an example of that, car headlights - I think that the blackout was to hide populated areas from the German bombers.

A small light here or there in the hinterlands was probably not indicative of a good target. I imagine the blackout was encouraged in the country, for solidarity purposes if for no other, but there could be virtually no enforcement. When your nearest neighbor is a half mile away, the blackout depends on only you.

Early morning musings from yours truly.

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby mohairMK » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:00 pm

Thanks for the replies to my question about the lanterns, Lesley and jewell! You both make sense and it makes the situation more clear to me. :wavehello:
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Return to Series 1 (2002), Series 2 (2003), Series 3 (2004)