Armand Gamache novels

What you are watching, reading, listening to or creating when MK's not on the telly.

Armand Gamache novels

Postby kitchentease » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:32 am

Gamache ( the protagonist in Louise Penny's Three Pines mystery novels) is fast becoming my favourite Foyle substitute. Like Foyle, he is quiet, intelligent, thoughtful, compassionate, not an alcoholic, drug addict, nor divorced... His dearly beloved wife is alive and they live in a picturesque village in Quebec, Canada. If you don't already know these novels, do give them a try. They are filled with interesting characters and lyrical language. The plots can be somewhat contrived so, if solving the mystery makes you tick, they aren't for you. CBC made Still Life, the first novel, into a TV movie with Nathaniel Parker playing Gamache, but it completely missed the boat for me. Don't be tempted by the movie, read the books instead.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Re: Armand Gamache novels

Postby Wolesley » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:42 am

I agree! And the author is a hoot to listen to, if you ever get a chance to see her in person giving a talk. She's a former radio host on the CBC. :Canadaflag:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby kitchentease » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:04 pm

Glad to know there's another fan on QE, Wolseley. Agreed, she's a very entertaining speaker.
kitchentease

Postby jewell » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:12 pm

Okay, you sucked me in and now I can't put "Still Life" down.

But a question; I thought I researched and found out that "Still Life" was the first novel in the series? Is it? There are many references to other cases - the disastrous 'Arnot' case keeps cropping up - am I reading in the correct order?

I really like the character, Gamache. He's so warm and fuzzy and full of steely resolve.

Thanks for the recommendation!

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby kitchentease » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:41 am

Still Life is the first novel, Jewell, and, yes, Gamache does have a past that unfolds through the series. So glad you are enjoying it.
kitchentease

Postby jewell » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:27 pm

Finished "Still Life" and liked it a lot - even got in a row with the SO about wanting to read instead of watching something with him!

I may have to wait for the next book - this month seems to have me very short financially. But it's nice to have a guaranteed good read waiting for me.

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby Samfan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:26 pm

I discovered Louise Penny's Gamache novels this winter. I am just finishing up the second book, A Fatal Grace. I love all the characters (I love series where we get to know the characters and their pasts). I really want to visit Three Pines and sit in front of that fire in the bistro!

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Wolesley » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:04 am

I love this series and the author! I’ve just finished listening to the audiobook of The Long Way Home for about the third time, read by Ralph Cosham. He is the best reader, and came to be called 'the voice of Gamache' by many fans. He recorded the first ten books, then, sadly, he passed away.

Louise Penny spoke in Vancouver when The Nature of the Beast debuted, and again when her latest, Glass Houses was published. She was witty and charming at both appearances, and I will certainly go to hear her when the next book comes out.

Samfan, I'll meet you in Three Pines as soon as we can find it on a map! :biggrin:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Samfan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:28 am

Wolesley wrote:Samfan, I'll meet you in Three Pines as soon as we can find it on a map! :biggrin:

I wish! On her website, Louise Penny says Three Pines is inspired by some communities "in Quebec's Eastern Townships. Knowlton, Sutton, North Hatley, Georgeville - to name a few."

I just started the third book, The Cruelest Month, just in time for April and Easter. I love escaping into a book and feeling as if I'm really there. That's how I feel with these books.

I now have Google Translate bookmarked on my iPhone, set to French-English, so that I can look up some of the French phrases and names. On her website, Louise Penny has a pronunciation guide for some of her books.
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Wolesley » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:32 pm

Enjoy!
I was born in Québec, but in an English speaking neighbourhood, and my family moved when I was five, so I didn’t learn much French until grade six (sixth grade) through grade twelve, on the west coast. I never became fluent, but at least my ear (and eye) is tuned to the language.
The books have only recently been translated into French in Québec, IIRC, so I hope they are well-received there.

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby kitchentease » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:10 pm

Wolesley wrote:
Samfan, I'll meet you in Three Pines as soon as we can find it on a map! :biggrin:

May I join you? On this grey, wet day, the cozy fire in the bistro is particularly enticing. :wave:
kitchentease

Postby Wolesley » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:40 am

Bien sûr! :biggrin:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Samfan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:43 pm

kitchentease wrote:
Wolesley wrote:

May I join you? On this grey, wet day, the cozy fire in the bistro is particularly enticing. :wave:

Wash windows and yard work on a cold, cloudy day; or, coffee by a fire with friends in a bistro? I'm off to the bistro!
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:37 pm

A sentence about Gamache that could also be applied to Foyle:

"He carried calm with him as other men wore cologne" (from A Rule Against Murder [paperback, p. 7]).

I just started the fourth book after just completing the third. I better slow down. I want them to last!

Samfan
Last edited by Samfan on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Samfan

Postby Wolesley » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:44 pm

Beautiful description! :biggrin:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby djdenver » Thu May 17, 2018 11:51 pm

Ralph Cosham was definitely the voice of Armand Gamache! I don't often listen to audio books, but with this series, I listened to each and every one until Mr. Cosham's death. Rather than try to adjust to a different voice, I will return to reading the last several books from cover to cover, hoping to hear Mr. Cosham's voice in my head.
djdenver

Postby Samfan » Sat May 26, 2018 12:22 am

I think I've been reading too much Gamache. We were sitting around the table the other day in our new house, eating homemade corn chowder soup with crusty bread. It was rather cool and rainy out. I thought that if we turned on the gas fire and sat around it eating, it would be like eating at the Three Pines bistro. (I'm currently reading The Brutal Telling).
Samfan

Postby Wolesley » Sat May 26, 2018 7:03 am

That sounds perfect, Samfan!
Penny’s food descriptions are such a treat. Whenever she is asked if she’s a good cook she always replies, "No, I’m a great eater!" :biggrin:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Samfan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:05 pm

Another quote about Gamache that could be applied to Foyle:

"They walked away from the B and B and toward the hill out of Three Pines. Beauvoir took off his jacket, but the Chief kept his on. It would take more than a merely warm day to get him to walk around in his shirtsleeves" (From A Trick of the Light, p. 93 [hardcover]).

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Wolesley » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:16 pm

:foyle5: Very apt! :foyle1:

Lesley
Wolesley

Next

Return to Watching, Reading, Listening, Creating