New Doctor Who

What you are watching, reading, listening to or creating when MK's not on the telly.

Re: New Doctor Who

Postby marigold » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:09 pm

I've never watched even an ep of Doctor Who as I'm not a sci-fi fan. Some of my children gave my late husband discs starring David Tennant but we never watched. I loved Tennant in Broadchurch and note (at least in his Wikipedia entry) that, like MK, he never discusses his personal life with media (well, MK never discusses anything, sadly.) Still not convinced I'd like DW but open to persuasion. :noidea:
marigold

Postby Samfan » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:48 am

marigold wrote:I've never watched even an ep of Doctor Who as I'm not a sci-fi fan. Some of my children gave my late husband discs starring David Tennant but we never watched. I loved Tennant in Broadchurch and note (at least in his Wikipedia entry) that, like MK, he never discusses his personal life with media (well, MK never discusses anything, sadly.) Still not convinced I'd like DW but open to persuasion. :noidea:

If you have Netflix, start with the newer years, with the ones starring Christopher Eccleston as The Doctor. You'll catch on. I'm not a big sci-fi fan either. I like these newer DW eps because they are not so 'sci-fi' to me.

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:10 pm

Have just watched ... correction - sat through, thoroughly bemused ... the latest episode of Doctor Who. Oh dear.

The show has been losing viewers, big time, and I'm not surprised. As I said in a previous post, it's now way too dark and cerebral, and no longer the fun show it used to be. I thought last week's episode was bad enough to scuttle it altogether, but tonight's took the biscuit! I had thought that rumours about plans to change the format, or even end the whole thing, were just that - rumours; but it surely can't continue the way it is, so perhaps not.

Whether or not the show changes format, I suspect that Peter Capaldi has decided that his Doctor has done enough time travelling, and will leave the TARDIS. From what he said earlier this year, he and all those involved in filming the series have been finding the work very exhausting, so it wouldn't be surprising if he called it a day. If he does walk, I do hope that he can take with him the satisfaction of having had the opportunity to play a character that he idolised in his early teens, and is not too disappointed that he came to it a touch too late.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:35 am

I was just thinking almost the same thing last night, Lynne, after watching this latest episode. These shows use to be fun. That's why I got hooked on them. Now they're just too dark. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but I kept thinking sbout the Greek legend of Sisyphus, doing the same thing over and over again for eternity. Was this The Doctor's own version of Hell or grief?

Hope next week's finale and the Christmas special are better. I have a friend at work who is very excited about seeing River Song again, and I am, too.

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby MrsJohn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:45 pm

O dear

I was such a big fan of "New Who" - starting with 9, then 10 and 11 but I couldn't really get into the seasons with Capaldi (NOT his fault, it's the writing) - but now a friend said this season is MUCH better so I was about to try it... but from what you write, it didn't change at all for the better. I guess I'll just rewatch Eccleston's and Tennant's seasons :-?
MrsJohn

Postby Samfan » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:51 pm

You know, I read where Peter Capaldi and Steven Moffat criticized the BBC for showing DW later at night, since so many families, including kids, like to watch it. But really, these latest ones are so dark, that they are really not for children, I think.

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:46 pm

Samfan wrote:You know, I read where Peter Capaldi and Steven Moffat criticized the BBC for showing DW later at night, since so many families, including kids, like to watch it. But really, these latest ones are so dark, that they are really not for children, I think.

It's obviously what the BBC thought, too, Samfan, so they changed to the later time. I'm wondering what on earth the season finale is going to be like, and, for that matter, what Steven Moffat will have put in the Sherlock Christmas Special, as he seems to be in a very odd place these days (the Sherlock will see the boys back in the right period, by the way, and that doctor will be sporting a Watsonian moustache).
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:27 pm

Season's finale ... too many words, w-a-y to many words. Plot? Don't ask me, cos I haven't a clue. :puzzled: Finale of finale ... I thought I was confused enough by the time we got there, but it seems that where the 12th Doctor is concerned, you can never be confused enough. Someone please tell me - do we now have two Doctors and two TARDISes ... er, TARDI (well, how would you pluralise TARDIS)?

Whatever that blinkin' episode was all about, the short clips of the Christmas Special that followed gave the impression that that episode, at least, will be a return to the old fun days. Oh, I really do hope so!
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:40 am

So now Ashildr and Clara are BFFs? At least until Clara really dies, I guess. And will next season have The Doctor chasing Ashildr through time and space?

I feel like I came in the middle of something in this episode. Which I guess I have-with all the stuff about the Time War. I'm not sure that it would have helped if I'd been able to see all of the Classic Episodes from the beginning.

Looking forward to the Christmas special and the return of River.

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:51 pm

On a more festive note, here are some DW-themed gift ideas:

http://mashable.com/2015/12/04/doctor-who-gift-ideas/#wGJwSUGAPPql

Not sure I'd like a string of Weeping Angels on my Christmas tree, but the lamp looks really cool.

Also, you know you're a DW fan when, while sitting in church and your minister uses the word "regeneration" (one of the steps in the sequence of salvation), you immediately think of Doctor Who.
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:01 pm

Agree about the string of Weeping Angels, Samfan. The idea of including one of those horrifying "angels", let alone a whole string of them, in an array of Christmas decorations appalls me. Angels are, of course, part of the Christmas story, but they are the complete opposite of the murderous DW characters!

Re your reference to what happened in church, I reckon your minister would be rather startled to learn that when referring to Wesley's Order of Salvation, he/she had inadvertently redirected the thoughts of someone in the congregation to Doctor Who, especially as the word "regeneration" has a very different meaning in that context. :lol:
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:01 am

Lynnedean wrote:Agree about the string of Weeping Angels, Samfan. The idea of including one of those horrifying "angels", let alone a whole string of them, in an array of Christmas decorations appalls me. Angels are, of course, part of the Christmas story, but they are the complete opposite of the murderous DW characters!

Re your reference to what happened in church, I reckon your minister would be rather startled to learn that when referring to Wesley's Order of Salvation, he/she had inadvertently redirected the thoughts of someone in the congregation to Doctor Who, especially as the word "regeneration" has a very different meaning in that context. :lol:

Well, if one had a year-round 'themed' tree (i.e. Valentine stuff in February, Christmas in December, St. Patrick in March, etc.), one could have a a Doctor Who-themed tree during the week in November leading up to Doctor Who Day. The string of Weeping Angels would be great, then.

And about regeneration. Yes, regeneration in DW means something totally different than a step in the order of salvation. Our minister even had a nice "Ordo Salutis' chart on the overhead, complete with Bible verse references. I noticed one person snap a picture of it with his iPhone, and I was tempted, but before I had worked up enough nerve, the minister had moved on and the chart was gone. I found the chart here: http://mikecorley.org/2015/09/08/the-order-of-salvation-ligonier-ministries/.
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:55 am

A Doctor Who themed tree for November ... you're beginning to worry me, Samfan. Hey, just had a thought: why not include a Michael Kitchen themed tree in your tree calendar - October, perhaps? :lol:

Re regeneration, the Wesleyan order I referred to is not quite the same as the one in your link - it's shorter and has a different theological starting point. But I won't go into that, as our Admin Lesley would clobber me for talking religion on the open forum. :D
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:31 am

Lynnedean wrote:A Doctor Who themed tree for November ... you're beginning to worry me, Samfan. Hey, just had a thought: why not include a Michael Kitchen themed tree in your tree calendar - October, perhaps? :lol: ...

Well, after theses last couple of eps, I'm not too enthusiastic about Doctor Who. There are reruns, I guess, to keep me enthused. At least he got a new sonic screwdriver. An MK-themed tree: tiny trilbies, tiny Robert Goddard book covers, pics of MK as various characters he's played over the years.

Samfan
Samfan

Postby kitchentease » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:02 pm

Love the idea of an MK tree. Could we add wee waders and a beautiful horse or two?
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby Samfan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:14 pm

kitchentease wrote:Love the idea of an MK tree. Could we add wee waders and a beautiful horse or two?

:lol:

Perhaps a smaller cross-stitch version of this fisherman to go on the tree:

http://www.artsanddesigns.com/cgi-bin/viewDetails.pl?catnumber=411150934

....and a flyfish reel ornament:

http://www.amazon.com/Replica-Fly-Fishing-Reel-Ornament/dp/B006HL5S5I

:waders:

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:23 pm

Have just had time to catch up with the Christmas episode of Doctor Who on the BBC iPlayer. Absolutely loved it! It was back to the fun days - just what I'd been longing for - and the reappearance of River Song made it perfect. There's a look between River and the Doctor that melts the heart. Delicious!

So, at last it's a :thumbsup: :D
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:12 am

I had recorded the Christmas special from BBCA and just got done watching it.

I laughed through most of it. It was great having just River and The Doctor with no other companions. Such great one-liners from River Song!

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:04 pm

Steven Moffat is leaving Doctor Who after season 10 (which will air in 2017, after the 2016 Christmas Special), and Chris Chibnall (Broadchurch) will take over as writer/producer. And now, Peter Capaldi will probably be leaving after season 10 as well:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/peter-capaldi-leaving-doctor-who-7245477

And finally, Doctor Who will no longer be streaming on Netflix come February. Too bad. But, this happened with Foyle's War back in the summer of 2014. It disappeared in July, and came back a month later in August. So hopefully, Doctor Who will be back streaming on Netflix in the not so distant future.

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:53 pm

Samfan wrote:Steven Moffat is leaving Doctor Who after season 10 (which will air in 2017, after the 2016 Christmas Special), and Chris Chibnall (Broadchurch) will take over as writer/producer. And now, Peter Capaldi will probably be leaving after season 10 as well

I guess we knew it was on the cards. I was dismayed when Peter Capaldi climbed on board the TARDIS, but he quickly proved himself to be a great choice as the 12th Doctor and I'll now be sorry to see him go. Is he jumping, or is he being pushed, I wonder? Sounds suspiciously like the latter. Of this I'm sure - if the new writer/producer brings in a female Doctor, I'll certainly be jumping ship!
Lynnedean

PreviousNext

Return to Watching, Reading, Listening, Creating