The Making of!

The Eternity Ring (July 1946); The Cage (August 1946); Sunflower (Aug/Sept 1946)

Re: The Making of!

Postby kitchenwonder » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:51 am

Blink and you will miss MK as Himself! :obsessed:

YouTube: Making of Foyle's War Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRILl_rFxU8
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:42 pm

kitchenwonder wrote:Blink and you will miss MK as Himself!

Don't start me on this one, kitchenwonder: it has always at once disappointed and irritated me. Laughingly described at the time as the "introduction" to the "making of" documentary on the FW5 DVD set, the two-liner is the only contribution Michael Kitchen has made to any of the DVD releases. It seems to me to have been done rather grudgingly, probably after a lot of badgering by Greenlit, who will have been aware that FW devotees were puzzled as to why everyone else and his Uncle Fred had chipped in some sort of comment on the DVDs, while the star of the series had remained silent. :-?
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby HarrietVane » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:01 pm

Lynnedean wrote:
kitchenwonder wrote:Blink and you will miss MK as Himself!

Don't start me on this one, kitchenwonder: it has always at once disappointed and irritated me. Laughingly described at the time as the "introduction" to the "making of" documentary on the FW5 DVD set, the two-liner is the only contribution Michael Kitchen has made to any of the DVD releases. It seems to me to have been done rather grudgingly, probably after a lot of badgering by Greenlit, who will have been aware that FW devotees were puzzled as to why everyone else and his Uncle Fred had chipped in some sort of comment on the DVDs, while the star of the series had remained silent. :-?

At some point my aunt and uncle, who were FW fans before I got into it, were talking up the special features on the dvds and saying there were interviews with MK. I'd done the tiny bit of research necessary to know how The Man feels about publicity, so I had to restrain myself from shouting YOU'RE WRONG THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE.
HarrietVane

Postby amiga » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:50 pm

And he still remains silent. I find his not making one comment on the end of the defining role of his career very irritating. I don't find his "privacy" issues an excuse.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby newfan » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:23 am

I too wish it was easier to learn more about MK. However, I think that his aversion to publicity is refreshing and somewhat admirable. I get so tired of seeing the "celebrity" junk that comes out of Hollywood. It seems to me to be quite nauseating. Perhaps MK wishes for himself and his family to lead somewhat "normal" lives. If you read his wife Rowena's health and beauty articles in "by the dart" she sounds so down to earth and "normal". Very refreshing.
newfan

Postby amiga » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:43 am

I have no problem with his reluctance to talk about his private life. He has every right to that. While I would definitely not want to see him on chat shows, I do think an occasional comment in print about a current project would not infringe upon his personal privacy. He has done it in the past, and just feel a last comment on FW would have been appropriate.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby HarrietVane » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:18 am

amiga wrote:I have no problem with his reluctance to talk about his private life. He has every right to that. While I would definitely not want to see him on chat shows, I do think an occasional comment in print about a current project would not infringe upon his personal privacy. He has done it in the past, and just feel a last comment on FW would have been appropriate.

Amiga

I tell myself that there's been no "closing comment" on FW because he's open to reprising the role. Wishful thinking, but it pleases me to ponder it.
HarrietVane

Postby kitchenwonder » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:37 am

HarrietVane wrote:I tell myself that there's been no "closing comment" on FW because he's open to reprising the role. Wishful thinking, but it pleases me to ponder it.

Ooo! That gives one hope! :foyle1:
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Postby kitchentease » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:15 pm

amiga wrote:I have no problem with his reluctance to talk about his private life. He has every right to that. While I would definitely not want to see him on chat shows, I do think an occasional comment in print about a current project would not infringe upon his personal privacy. He has done it in the past, and just feel a last comment on FW would have been appropriate.

Amiga

Agreed on all points, Amiga. For all we know, he may have loathed playing Foyle since he gave that last e-mail interview. However, some public acknowledgement of the rest of the FW people, on its demise, would have been gracious and they certainly earned it.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby mohairMK » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:29 am

HarrietVane wrote:I tell myself that there's been no "closing comment" on FW because he's open to reprising the role. Wishful thinking, but it pleases me to ponder it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby vicky » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:55 pm

I agree with Amiga and Lynnedean on this one. Those few grudging words
spoken by MK showed a discourtesy to the loyal supporters of Foyle's War.
No-one expects him to give personal interviews, but this was about the series
in which he starred, and would not have intruded on his privacy in any way.
vicky

Postby Wolesley » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:17 am

Well, I still wonder if the Rights House video of Mr. K playing the FW theme on electric guitar wasn't meant to be an extra feature on the final DVD set, but then wasn't used.
Whether Acorn thought the video wasn't up to quality standards for the DVD, in terms of picture quality OR performance (ahem!), or whether MK himself changed his mind, we'll never know. But how on earth did it get posted on YouTube?! And with whose permission?

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby amiga » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:28 am

Didn't know it was done by Rights House. Looks more like it was done in a room in his house. Good question, how did it get on YouTube. He was tipping his hat to someone.

Amiga
amiga

Postby kitchenwonder » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:34 am

Wolesley wrote: But how on earth did it get posted on YouTube?! And with whose permission?
Lesley

I saw the video on his son's site. Since I recently lost all my files, including my Favorites, I'll have to look for it...if it is still up. :biggrin:
kitchenwonder

Postby amiga » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:39 am

kitchenwonder wrote:
Wolesley wrote: But how on earth did it get posted on YouTube?! And with whose permission?
Lesley

I saw the video on his son's site. Since I recently lost all my files, including my Favorites, I'll have to look for it...if it is still up. :biggrin:

Still up, just watched it, again!

Amiga
amiga

Postby kitchenwonder » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:22 am

amiga wrote:
kitchenwonder wrote:
Lesley

Still up, just watched it, again!

Amiga

Did you watch it on his son's site or from the YouTube posting? :asking:
kitchenwonder

Postby amiga » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:43 am

kitchenwonder wrote:Still up, just watched it, again!

Amiga

Did you watch it on his son's site or from the YouTube posting? :asking:[/quote]

Watched it on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyLI91MJ2-g or search Michael Kitchen guitar

Amiga
amiga

Postby kitchenwonder » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:05 am

Haven't located Jack's site where I saw his dad's video. I'll keep looking...off and on. I think it may have been there originally, then someone (?) posted it to YouTube for all of us to enjoy! :biggrin:

While searching, I found this site containing clips of Jack's music...in case you are interested: http://www.jack-kitchen.squarespace.com/just-music/ I've enjoyed listening to it! :whistling:
kitchenwonder

Postby Wolesley » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:02 am

amiga wrote:Didn't know it was done by Rights House. Looks more like it was done in a room in his house. Good question, how did it get on YouTube. He was tipping his hat to someone.

The video was posted by "TRHFW8", which has been taken to be The Rights House, Mr. K's agent, but not made by them. It's the only thing ever posted by 'them.'
I agree, Amiga. I think he made it himself, and I'd wager it's his own home music studio. And he quite possibly sent it to his agent, perhaps for the DVD extra feature. But I just can't imagine Mr. K giving his permission to post it. Quite the mystery, really.

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby starlight » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:57 am

Wolesley wrote:
amiga wrote:Didn't know it was done by Rights House. Looks more like it was done in a room in his house. Good question, how did it get on YouTube. He was tipping his hat to someone.

The video was posted by "TRHFW8", which has been taken to be The Rights House, Mr. K's agent, but not made by them. It's the only thing ever posted by 'them.'
I agree, Amiga. I think he made it himself, and I'd wager it's his own home music studio. And he quite possibly sent it to his agent, perhaps for the DVD extra feature. But I just can't imagine Mr. K giving his permission to post it. Quite the mystery, really.

Lesley

I like the theory that it was meant for issue with the DVD. The tip of his hat to "the audience" at the end is a clue.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

PreviousNext

Return to Series 8 (March-April 2013)