[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - Painting the Darkness

Painting the Darkness

Painting the Darkness

Postby Samfan » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:28 pm

This morning, I just finished listening to Painting the Darkness, by Robert Goddard. MK was, as usual, his brilliant self in his reading of it.

As was usual with Robbert Goddard's novels (admittedly, I've only read 2: Caught in the Light and Set in Stone), there were a lot of twists. It kept me guessing until almost the end: was James Norton James Davenall, or not? The explanation of how Norton, Quinn, and Melanie (sp?) pulled off the sham was facinating. I actually found myself feeling a bit sorry for James Davenall/Norton, and also for William Trenchard.

On Goddard's website, in the 'behind the books' section for Painting the Darkness, Goddard indicates that this story was based on a real case:

The inspiration for the plot of Painting the Darkness was the extraordinary real life mid-Victorian mystery-melodrama of the Tichborne Claimant. As is often the case, fact is altogether more bizarre than fiction can afford to be. How Arthur Orton, aka Roger Castro, semi-literate 24-stone butcher from Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, was able to convince half of England that he was actually Roger Tichborne, well-bred, high-toned heir to a baronetcy, conveniently (for Orton) missing, presumed drowned, is hard for us to imagine now. The claimant to the Davenall baronetcy in Painting the Darkness has much more going for him, not least the distinct possibility that he may be genuine.
Orton’s pursuit of his claim ended in a fourteen-year prison sentence for perjury. The end of my story is, suffice to say, very different.

Here's the URL for the whole article in the 'behind the book' section:

Of the three Goddard stories that I have listened to now, I think this was my least favorite, maybe because of the time of the setting (1800's) (although, I got more into it as the story went on. The last third I especially found interesting [the audiobook from Audible is broken into 3 parts].).

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Return to Voice