The African Queen

The African Queen

Postby Samfan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:32 pm

Has anybody listened to MK's reading of this? How's the story (I've never read it)?

I got credits to spend on Audible....

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Re: The African Queen

Postby jewell » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:43 pm

I purchased the CD's but am waiting for a long trip to listen to it. MK keeps me awake while I drive and since driving and sleeping are not compatible I save him for then.

Wuthering Heights did not work, got sleepy anyway, but all of the other books he has read have kept me awake and interested.

My answer is, how can you go wrong? Michael Kitchen reading a C.S. Forester classic, it can't be bad. Then again, there is the precedent of Wuthering Heights...

Oh, I'd go for it anyway!

You do know it's the same story as the Humphrey Bogart/Katherine Hepburn movie of the same name?

FWIW,

Jewell
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby Samfan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:57 pm

Thanks Jewell. I'm downloading it right now. I don't know if I'll listen to it now, but hey, like you said, can't go wrong with an MK reading.

I've seen parts of the movie, a long time ago.

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby jewell » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:31 pm

Samfan wrote:Thanks Jewell.

To quote my fav detective:

Pleasure.

:foyle5:

Jewell
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby Sunshine » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:41 pm

I love his reading of The African Queen! Had the privilege of listening to it on an Amtrak trip two years ago. :thumbsup:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:43 pm

You'll enjoy the book more if you're not very familiar with the 1951 film of The African Queen, Samfan. Humphrey Bogart didn't fit the part of Charlie Allnutt, so it's best that you don't have a picture of him in your head as you listen. (I'd have loved to have seen an actor called John Slater in that role; he'd have been perfect for it, but he was never a big name in cinema.)
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:36 pm

SPOLIERS

I just finished listening to this story this morning, and to my surprised delight, I really enjoyed it. The romance was sweet, and many parts of it were very exciting. I did get lost in some of the technical details of the boat (i.e. how the boiler worked) and the torpedo (how Allnut made the detonator), but that really didn't detract from me being able to follow the story.

I didn't like it that it ended so abruptly; I would have liked to have found out what happened with Allnut and Rose.

MK was of course very good with the reading.

Samfan
Samfan

Postby kitchentease » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:22 pm

Oh how I loved this audiobook. You can almost hear MK smiling as he reads it. The tenderness in his voice describing Rose and Charlie's developing relationship turned me :mushy: . While researching fossils from the cretaceous period in a museum on Vancouver Island in August (Yes, I'm not the fossil in this part of the world!), I came across an exhibit detailing the story of the World War I Battle for Lake Tanganyika, briefly mentioned, with place and vessel names changed, at the end of the book. The real story is as entertaining as the novel. The leader of the expedition Geoffrey Spicer-Simson was more than a little eccentric and, until this sortie, had had a less than spectacular naval career. He sounds delightfully eccentric to me! You can read about him here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Spicer-Simson
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby Sunshine » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:09 am

Love MK's reading of this, too. Thanks for the info, Kitchentease! :thumbsup:

Sunshine

Postby BookwormKate » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:43 am

Really enjoyed MK's reading of this book a few years ago (must listen again!). It was very exciting in places and the sweet romance was lovely. Thanks for the link, kitchentease!
"You could do with a good chat then..."
BookwormKate

Postby mohairMK » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:51 am

All this interest in "The African Queen" read by MK, made me go look for it online, and I found a new copy of the CD's! When I listened to the clip...I melted out of my chair! MK has the loveliest of voices. I can't wait to get it!

I happen to like this Bogart/Hepburn movie, so I hope it won't detract from my enjoyment of the story. I'll just concentrate on The Man, and it will all work out in the end!

Will revisit this after listening to it...
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby Sunshine » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:56 pm

I'm not distracted either by my love for the movie or my love for MK's reading of the book. :mrgreen:

Sunshine

Postby mohairMK » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:00 am

Sunshine wrote:I'm not distracted either by my love for the movie or my love for MK's reading of the book. :mrgreen:

Good to know! :thumbsup:
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby jewell » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:46 pm

SPOILER ALERT

I sincerely think the movie ending is much better than the book's ending. The book just seemed to trail off...

Rarely do I think they get something better in the movie than in the book, but just this once they did.

IMO

J

jewell

Postby kitchentease » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:58 am

I agree with you, Jewell, it does sort of tail off but I can imagine that's exactly what would have happened. Their big adventure over, Rose and Charlie settle into boring bigamy far from the influence of their respective families. :lol:
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Return to Voice