Caught in the Light

Caught in the Light

Postby Samfan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:40 pm

Just ordered the unabridged cassette audiobooks of Caught in the Light off of Amazon. Can't wait to start listening!

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Re: Caught in the Light

Postby amiga » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:32 pm

One of my favorites, Samfan. Enjoy!

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Samfan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:03 pm

WOW!!

I think I just found my new favorite audiobook read by MK (and a new favorite author to check out--in print or in audio format). I had to listen to this only on my car cassette player, as my portable Sony Walkman was making MK sound a bit like Darth Vader (even the women's voices) :eek: . Consequently, I found myself making excuses to run errands :lol: Otherwise, I would have finished it much faster (it was one of those books that I could "just not put down").

SPOILERS

This book really did have a lot of twists! I was at first convinced that Eyres (spelling?) really did have some sort of "connection" with Marian Esguard. And when it became clear that it was all some sort of 'set up', I was a bit upset (this was all "much ado about nothing", I thought). But then I quickly found myself fascinated in finding out how all of the present characters related to each other (Eyres, Ian, Conrad, Niles, Daphne, Isabelle [deceased], and the bookseller).

The ending was really very sad, with Amy being killed. But, I was happy to see that Ian (whom I had really started to like as a character) seemed to be able to work through it and go on.

The background about Marian Esguard was so convincingly real that I just now looked her up to see if she really existed. She did not, but on Robert Goddard's website, there is a 'behind the book' section that discusses some of the reasoning about why he wrote a certain book. He noted that 50 years before Talbot invented photography, a woman named Elizabeth Fulhame was experimenting with photographic techniques, but had to give it up because of scientific indifference. He based Marian Esguard on her.

Throughout this book, I kept thinking to myself about how clever Goddard was to make all of these historical figures and present day figures fit together. Although, now I know that the historical happenings really did not take place; but still, WOW, what a great imagination. I know this is true of a great many authors, but I just really thought that particularly of Goddard.

Here's where Goddard talks about Caught in the Light: http://www.robertgoddardbooks.co.uk/behindthebooks_caughtinthelight.html.

So, that's my opinion of this book. I now want to read more of Goddard's books (or listen to them).

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby amiga » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:18 pm

Thanks for link, Samfan. Definitely one of my favorites for all the reasons you stated. Listened to it for the third time not too long ago.

Beyond Recall and Set In Stone are also very good.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby jewell » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:44 pm

Thanks, guys. I don't need to be spending money and I just ordered "Set in Stone". :-? I did hold myself back from "Beyond Recall" but it's on my wishlist.

Caught in the Light is one of my favorites, too. He is such a terrific narrator!

Jewell
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby Wolesley » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:43 am

This is a superb narrative! I, too, listened to it in the car when I was commuting about 40 minutes from work to home (I would not listen to it in the mornings, as it was too engrossing, and I am not a morning person :biggrin: ). I've listened to it several times over the past few years. Each time I feel just as confused and betrayed that the historical aspects are not true! It is done so convincingly! Wonderfully well-written!

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby dogstar » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:15 pm

Thanks for that link, Samfan. MKs recording of Caught in the Light led me to discover Goddard, and I've enjoyed many more Goddards since then, although MK's reading of Caught is my favorite so far.
Dogstar

"However, I'm richer and you're happier, and I think I know what's best."
dogstar

Postby Samfan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:48 am

I forgot to add in my original post about "Caught in the Light": The whole elaborate revenge plan reminded me of the revenge plan in "Mobile."

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Pers » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:38 pm

I listened to Caught in the Light after Chris sent me a snippet from the first chapter - then I listened to the other 3 Michael's recorded (Painting the Darkness being the fourth one which no one seems to have mentioned here).

I am now working my way through Goddard's books - he's my new favourite modern author. I love how twisty and suspenseful his plots are...

I particularly enjoyed the Harry Barnet trilogy which I've just read - and despite knowing that John Thaw had played him in the TV movie version of 'Into the Blue', I found myself picturing Michael in the role instead! If you get the chance, check out Into the Blue, Out of the Sun and Never Go Back.
Pers

Postby jewell » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:50 pm

We all know which "snippet" Chris sent! Yowsa!
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby ayresorchids » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:48 pm

jewell wrote:We all know which "snippet" Chris sent! Yowsa!

Heh. Yes, the one that almost made me wreck the car...

:biggrin:
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby Pers » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:02 pm

jewell wrote:We all know which "snippet" Chris sent! Yowsa!

Heh, yes! :whistling:
Pers

Postby Samfan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:30 pm

I've just started listening to this for the second time. Even though I've listened to it before, I'm enjoying it just as much as I did the first time (over a year ago now, so I don't remember all the details).

I don't think I'll ever learn how to pronounce "Chichester" though. :lol: :puzzled:

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:11 pm

When MK reads the part of Nile, he almost sounds like Maccoby (French Drop).

Samfan
Samfan

Postby FancyFoyle » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:43 am

Oooooooo, Caught In The Light.......one of my personal favorites. You can't go wrong with MK reading a book by Robert Goddard.

You know, I used to think MK could read the phone directory and make it sound bloody great, but then I downloaded "Ratking" by Michael Dibdin.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Even Himself couldn't make me get into this book. I have tried and tried, but ugh! It's so boring! What am I going to do? I can't let it defeat me! Has anyone listened to this book? If so, please tell me it gets better!!! I'm well over half-way through it and I feel like I wanna slash my wrists.

Please, someone! Give me some hope!
Martha
FancyFoyle

Postby Wolesley » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:41 am

I've found with the Michael Dibdin books that the author got better and better as he continued the series. Ratking was the first Aurelio Zen book and, yes, the weakest. Blood Rain is my favourite. It was a shame when Dibdin died, much too soon.

But, you know, you don't have to finish any book you don't like - it's not homework! :biggrin:

Lesley (School librarian by day...)
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby jewell » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:08 pm

FancyFoyle wrote:Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Even Himself couldn't make me get into this book. I have tried and tried, but ugh! It's so boring! What am I going to do? I can't let it defeat me! Has anyone listened to this book? If so, please tell me it gets better!!! I'm well over half-way through it and I feel like I wanna slash my wrists.

I felt this way with Wuthering Heights. Pure unadulterated torture that even The Man couldn't help.

My sympathies.

Jewell

jewell

Postby Lynnedean » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:05 pm

jewell wrote:I felt this way with Wuthering Heights. Pure unadulterated torture that even The Man couldn't help.

Yep, me, too, Jewell. Not being a fan of the Brontes' writing style (hard to believe, I know, but some of us just ain't, folks), I'd never got past page one of any of their books, but when Mr K recorded WH I had to listen, of course. Unfortunately, even with That Voice it sent me to sleep, just as Ratking did to Martha. Since then, I think of the book as Withering Heights.

Caught In the Light, as with each of the Goddards, was a totally different experience, being thoroughly absorbing.

A recommendation, Martha, in case you haven't found them yet - the Goodfellowe series by Michael Dobbs. Great novels; great recordings. Not a moment's zzz in any of 'em. :smile:
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby ayresorchids » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:41 pm

One problem I've found I have (and as a fan, I feel a little guilty about it) is that I cannot lie down and listen to Mr K read at all. His voice is far too soothing, no matter how appealing and fascinating the book, and I am quickly sound asleep. (Helpful with insomnia, although I then have to re-locate my place in the book!)

Happily I have recently figured out how to download Audible.com books to my smartphone via that app, and use Bluetooth to listen to them over the radio in my car. My commute is made much pleasanter that way, though I still have to pay close attention to the road when he gets reading something rather breathless and sensual in the first person (which seems to characterize parts of all the Goddard books I've encountered so far)... :eyeroll:
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby Jillybean » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:59 am

Ok ladies, thought this was the best thread as the word 'insomnia' appeared. I had no pepsi or coffee yet I still had a bout of insomnia last night. Anyway, I ended up making new iPod icons which was either a stroke of genius or the saddest thing to do at 6am (maybe both). Even the Listening to the delightful MK didn't help, I'm not keen to try tablets (herbal or otherwise) and all the new asmr videos are irritating - so if anyone has any ideas...... please share!! :sad:

Here is the fruit of my early dawn creativity / silliness:

Last edited by Jillybean on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's something about you fascinates me...
Jillybean

Next

Return to Voice