The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Postby Samfan » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:28 pm

I just finished listening to "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and other Tales of Terror." I really liked MK's voice in these, particularly the first 2 stories ("Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" and "The Body snatchers"). To me, his voice sounded rather "gravelly" (particularly in the first story), which I liked; however, at times I did feel like saying, "clear your throat!"

Spoilers Below

My least favorite story was the third one, "Olalla." It was just hard for me to follow, and I admit I didn't listen to it as closely as I did to the other stories. I did keep thinking that this was a vampire story, especially when the mother bites the narrator's bleeding arm, but vampires are never mentioned. Although, a wikipedia article about the story mentions vampires:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olalla_%28short_story%29

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Re: The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Postby bee » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:36 pm

Samfan wrote:My least favorite story was the third one, "Olalla." It was just hard for me to follow, and I admit I didn't listen to it as closely as I did to the other stories.

Oh boy, I LOVE Olalla. I remember very well listening to it for the first time a couple of years ago and being completely blown away by the strange, atmospheric and savage beauty of the story, the power of the writing and the incredible brilliance of the reading. Not that I didn't like Dr. J, it is absolutely fantastic, but Olalla was new to me (what a beautiful name/title by the way), so I was quite overwhelmed... :thud:

Overall, one of my favourite audiobooks read by Mr K.
There is no one else...
bee

Postby Samfan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:59 pm

I listened to Olalla again. Still found it hard to follow. Maybe it just Stevenson's style of writing. Liked MK's reading, of course. Maybe if I listen for 3rd time one day I'll finally 'get' it completely.

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby vicky » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:34 pm

I wouldn't usually listen to stories in the horror genre, but I was, as usual,
completely captivated by the wonderful voice of Mr.K which made this rather
weird, haunting tale of Olalla a joy to listen to.
vicky

Return to Voice