[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - Shylock Is My Name

Shylock Is My Name

Shylock Is My Name

Postby amiga » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:25 pm

New audio book read by Michael Kitchen. Release date February 9.

http://www.amazon.com/Shylock-Is-My-Nam ... d=&sr=

Thanks KF

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Re: Shylock Is My Name

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:28 pm

Amazon seems a bit confused about this item. On Amazon US, alongside the title at the top of the page is a dialogue box containing the message that it's no longer available. A release date is given, but only in the product details lower down. Amazon UK does not list an audio version, only the hardback, paperback and Kindle editions.

The book sounds very interesting, but if the audio recording is released on 9th Feb, it looks as though it will be available only as a download from Audible. If that's the case, it rules me out. I don't subscribe to Audible, and don't wish to do so just to obtain one particular title. I'd have to wait to see if it comes out on CD at a later date.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Wolesley » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:12 pm

Yeah, it tells me it's not available "for you." Sounds like the soup nazi from Seinfeld. :rofl:
I'll investigate further.

I searched around a bit and got very excited when I saw this -
http://www.amazon.com/Y-Life-Michael-Ki ... 268&sr=1-5
from debut novelist Michael Kitchen! But no, not our MK. :sad:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby amiga » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:34 pm

"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:40 pm

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:03 pm

Lesley, I think the reason you and I got the "not for you" message was because we followed Amiga's link, but we're not in the US. I've just gone directly to Amazon.com and signed in on there - it will know I'm not in the US but that way it sees me as an Amazon.com customer (well, anyway, I know what I mean by that ...). Now the message does not appear when I call up the Shylock item.

There's no mention of Michael Kitchen's name anywhere on the page, and, curiouser and curiouser, the info as to various versions available is different from that which Amiga is seeing. Mine says:
Kindle $7.26
Hardcover $18.75
Audible $25.43

It also says "this item has not been released yet and is not eligible to be reviewed" and then proceeds to display several reviews!

What on earth ...?
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:13 pm

amiga

Postby Wolesley » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:08 am

Amazon Canada lists the book, but not the audiobook. I joined Audible a while ago, but a search for the title yields no results. Probably because it hasn't been released yet. I'll keep checking.

I find Audible very good, Lynne, even getting a 'pair' of interesting books in a two for one credit deal. Only problem is now I have four audiobooks in my 'to be listened to' stack, six ebooks in my 'to be read' e-stack, as well as eight physical books on my bedside table! :eyeroll: :biggrin:
So many books, so little time.

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Englishfan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:10 am

The teaser made available for the book has my attention.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:23 am

Lynnedean

Postby Englishfan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:28 am

Englishfan

Postby Wolesley » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:22 pm

I've heard one can make a decent income being paid by writers to post positive reviews on various sites.
But I did read many of the reviews of this book, and found them very thorough and properly critical. Not sure I'll enjoy this book, other than listening to MK's lovely voice.

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Englishfan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:06 am

Englishfan

Postby amiga » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:26 pm

Getting ready to order this with an Audible free trial. Includes two free books. I've never listed to an audio book narrated by anyone but MK. Anyone have any suggestions for another voice that would be easy on my ears?

Amiga
amiga

Postby Lynnedean » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:00 am

Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:38 am

amiga

Postby Lynnedean » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:32 am

Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:16 pm

I realized last night that I hadn't downloaded Train Robbery. I bought the CD and transferred it to my laptop and iTunes. Since no CD seems to be available for Shylock, I'll have to see how the downloading goes. Unfortunately, CDs seem to be going the way of VCR tapes.

Let us know if you come up with an alternative. Thanks.

Amiga
amiga

Postby amiga » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:19 pm

Book review of Shylock in my newspaper this morning

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainmen ... 18031.html

Amiga
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:15 pm

Interesting review. Thanks!
Has anyone been able to buy the audiobook?
I am still getting the message box on the right side of the page saying, "This title is not available for you."

Lesley :o(
Wolesley

Next

Return to Voice