Two On A Tower

Two On A Tower

Postby Wolesley » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:34 pm

Decided to sign up for the Audible 30-day free trial today in order to get this book. Just started listening to it. What do others think of the story and the reading?

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Re: Two On A Tower

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:48 pm

Excellent reading (recorded 1999) but miserable story! I'm not a fan of Thomas Hardy, and Two On a Tower is an example of why. :eyeroll:
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Wolesley » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:03 am

:rofl: Yeah, I think that's why I stopped so early in the recording to ask how others liked it, Lynne. I was hoping it gets better.
Well, his voice is lovely, and at least there's more plot than a phone book. :biggrin:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Rhonllor » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:38 am

I haven't been able to finish this one. I love MK's reading, but the story has done nothing for me so far. But I have listened to just about everything else I have been able to get my hands on. (Have had no luck getting any of the Goddard ones in the US.) Guess I'll have to start relistening. Gotta start my day with some of the Man's lovely voice while commuting!

Rhonda
Rhonllor

Postby Samfan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:32 am

I remember liking the story, but if weren't for MK reading it, don't think I'd ever have finished the story. I'm just not used to 19th century literature. I had to keep rewinding because my mind drifted.

-Swithin reminded me of the quintessential scientist: focused on his work and gadgets.

-A few times (like when he got bad news--he couldn't see Lady Constance for some reason), he was sad, but immediately cheered by the thought of some astronomical event.

I remember not liking the ending.

So yeah. Not my favorite book read by MK.

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby amiga » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:44 pm

I got through this one only because it was early on in my listening to MK's audio books. Tried it again later on, and just couldn't make it through. One of the very few that I haven't listened to many times

I'm now listening to Heart of the Matter again. I love this one. Story is interesting and I love all MK's voices.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby kitchentease » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:22 pm

The plot and characters are not my favourites, but Hardy describes the sense of wonder at discovering the universe from a scientific perspective that the Victorians experienced so well. Almost two centuries on, we are so saturated in science and technology that it's almost impossible to imagine how that must have felt. I like to imagine that the countryside Hardy describes is dear to MK's heart too, since he chooses to live there.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Return to Voice