[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - The Great Train Robbery

The Great Train Robbery

Re: The Great Train Robbery

Postby amiga » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:26 pm

That's a long time. I got mine within a week. Can't believe the demand is so overwhelming. Probably only made a few QE members :lol:

I am enjoying it, but don't think it will be one I listen to multiple times as I have others. Still worth it, as it's nice to hear his voice in something new.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby kitchentease » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:57 am

Groaning at the Canadian delivery dates too, Lesley. CBSA must have built an invisible shield to prevent that drone delivery to your balcony. :wink: The CD was supposed to be my birthday gift, I'll have to download it from Audible if I want it on the day. A fan can only be expected to delay gratification so far. :obsessed:
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:30 pm

Amazon UK's promised delivery date was spot on. My timing, however, was not, so I was out of the country when the audio book arrived. Have only just found time to start listening, and have to say that, while I always enjoy Michael Crichton's writing, I'm not finding Michael Kitchen's reading of this particular book as easy on my ears as his other recordings. To me, he sounds rather hesitant, even jerky, as though he is constantly thinking about where to place the emphasis with regard to this or that word or phrase, or had perhaps forgotten to take his specs when he went to the recording studio.

Just me?
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:15 pm

Guess I'm just so happy to hear his voice saying new words that I hadn't noticed. Isn't my favorite one.

Was going to ask....how is he doing with accents?

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Samfan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:19 pm

"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby amiga » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:37 pm

His voice does sound a bit gravely, which doesn't bother me. I recall some reviews in the past on other books where he was accused of reading too fast. Almost as if he was rushing through. Maybe he was trying to slow it down; although I don't think it necessarily requires a faster pace. At any rate, I'm enjoying listening to him.

I also find the information on Victorian times interesting. Have just gotten to the actual train robbery. I've listened to quite a few of his books multiple times. I don't think this will be one of those. Nothing to do with his reading, just the book itself.

Amiga
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:47 am

I guess Amazon was toying with me, saying the delivery would be in November, because my copy arrived today! Now to dig out something portable that will play the CDs! :pleased:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby flybybee » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:42 pm

flybybee

Postby amiga » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:17 pm

My stand alone DVD player plays CD's, but MP3's do not play in my car.

Downloaded the CD's to my new IPod Touch and I've actually been motivated to walk! Only MK is capable of making that happen :lol:

Amiga
amiga

Postby Samfan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:33 pm

I guess its the story I'm not thrilled with. Its just not as gripping as the Robert Goddard books that MK reads. If it hadn't been for MK reading it, I probably would not have bought this audiobook.

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby amiga » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:23 pm

amiga

Postby Wolesley » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:36 am

I had composed a message on the weekend to moan about how much trouble I'd had learning how to get the chapters from the CD into iTunes on my PC and onto my iPhone, but then to add insult to injury my iPad, or this message board, decided to throw away my post. I've been sulking ever since. :foyle3:

However, I've been listening to the book, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it! I'm at Part 3, and I love all the historical details, the names of all the various criminal professions, and the details of planning the robbery. Fascinating!
Also I'm finding MK's voice entirely acceptable in his pacing and expression. Thought his Irish accent for Pierce in disguise was just fine. Actually, I didn't realize this was a fictionalized account of the robbery, though I should have clued in, by the name of the author. (Dinosaurs haven't actually been cloned yet, right? :rofl: )
My one-hour commute to and from my second school, on Mondays and Wednesdays, is much less tedious now that I have this to listen to! :foyle1:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby amiga » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:08 am

Sorry you had so much trouble. After much persistence, I finally got it on my IPod.

I finished the book yesterday, and in the end, did enjoy it. The criminal professions were fascinating to hear about, and the actual carrying out of the robbery, was unbelievable.

Thought MK did a good job and I enjoyed listening to him.

Amiga
amiga

Postby Samfan » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:02 pm

I finally finished the story. It took taking the long way around to places in my car and working on a knitting project this week to do so. It didn't help that I started it in October, left it alone, and then came back to it in the last few weeks. I found the story hard to stick with--but some of the historical facts about the time period were interesting. And it became more interesting once the train robbery actually started (like Amiga told me it would :wave: ). Just not my favorite time period, I guess. I did buy Shylock is my Name, so I'll have to start that one of these days.

I even liked listening to MK read the credits at the end.

Samfan
Samfan

Postby amiga » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:14 pm

amiga

Previous

Return to Voice