[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - The Great Train Robbery

The Great Train Robbery

The Great Train Robbery

Postby kitchenwonder » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:47 pm

I regularly check out the offerings on Amazon.com and eBay. Today I found:
The Great Train Robbery Audio CD – Audiobook, CD, Unabridged by Michael Crichton (Author), Michael Kitchen (Reader)

It's available for pre-order - to be released on October 6, 2015! :rose: :rose: :rose:
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Re: The Great Train Robbery

Postby amiga » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:07 pm

Great find! I was hoping he'd do another audio book, but figured he was probably done doing them.

Something to look forward to. :waiting:

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby kitchentease » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:52 am

Excellent news! Thanks for sharing.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby Wolesley » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:06 am

Well, now I'm beginning to think The Man's a workaholic! This is great news!

Lesley :foyle1:

ETA: I've pre-ordered my copy! :biggrin:
There ya go, Michael, money towards a new string on the Fender guitar. :rofl:
Wolesley

Postby amiga » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:19 am

"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:59 am

:thumbsup: ... but hold on a sec ...

I see that Amazon is now also listing Michael Kitchen's recording of Thomas Hardy's Two On a Tower as available in MP3 CD format, but I'm wondering if the info is correct, as one of the reviews that gives the recording four stars states 'This is narrated by Peter Joyce of Assembled Stories not "Michael Kitchen" as in the other review.' Mr K did record the Hardy novel, though, so I'll make enquires.

Seeing that also has me wondering if the info is correct re The Great Train Robbery, as the Crichton book was published way back in 1975. Seems a bit odd for it to have been recorded now. I'll ask about that, too.

Something else I've noticed is that on both of these items the reader's name isn't on the cover of the CD cases, which it is on the other Brilliance Audio MP3-CD releases of Michael Kitchen recordings, e.g. the Dibdin Zen novels.

ETA: Still waiting for info. After frustrating conversations with a couple of people who didn't appear to understand what I wanted to know or why I wanted to know it, someone at Audible is going to contact somebody-or-other somewhere to try to find out who the reader is. What a lot of faffing about!
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby kitchentease » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:40 pm

I hope this truly is MK reading this book. When I downloaded the MK version of "The End of the Affair" from Audible, the narrator was Colin Firth. I finally found a cassette version with the added bonus of the photo of MK I use as my avatar.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:51 am

Have had an email from Amazon to say that they were following up my query, but the wording of the email was rather confusing, so I replied to clarify. Received a very quick response to say that they do now understand and will get back to me in due course.

In the meantime, I've checked the website again and found that the audio download version of Two on a Tower is indeed Mr K - a sample can be played ... . Presumably, the MP3 CD version is the same recording. I also checked the reviews again and now realise that the person who said the reader was someone else was actually referring to a different recording! Looks promising for that one, then. :smile:

No audio sample of the recording of The Great Train Robbery is available, but here's hoping for good news about
that one, too.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby vicky » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:54 pm

Thanks for trying to sort out the name of the reader on these recordings, Lynne.
We'll just carry on hoping that the voice on The Great Train Robbery is actually
that of Mr.K.
vicky

Postby mohairMK » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Yes, thanks for all the effort, and let us know what you find out about the recordings. Gotta keep The Man in DIY tools! :D
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby amiga » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:54 pm

Bubbe made an inquiry on FB to Audio Factory yesterday and received this reply. She wasn't sure how to post it here, so here goes...

Yesterday at 3:45pm
Is there a new audiobook narrated by Michael Kitchen-and is it available now?
11Unlike · Comment

Audio Factory It's to be released via an American company in October/November. Follow our page and you'll see an announcement upon its release.
Unlike · Reply · 1 · 11 hours ago

Amiga
amiga

Postby mohairMK » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:33 pm

Sounds like it's The Man who narrates it... :thumbsup:
mohairMK

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:08 am

Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:37 am

Hope this turns out to be true. I like Kitchen audio. More bang for your buck (book? :pleased:) There's never enough MK in screen productions, whereas with audiobooks, it's total immersion :cool:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby mohairMK » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:15 pm

mohairMK

Postby bee » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:54 pm

There is no one else...
bee

Postby amiga » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:08 pm

amiga

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:19 pm

Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:52 pm

This must mean that he's still in the market for a bit of pocket money. So he'll be back in other stuff :D
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby vicky » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:26 pm

Many thanks, Bee. This is very good news. So glad he's still in business.
vicky

Next

Return to Voice