[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - Beyond Recall

Beyond Recall

Beyond Recall

Postby Samfan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:07 pm

I was just on Amazon UK, and found an abridged version [cassette tapes] of Beyond Recall, by Robert Goddard. It was read by Martin Shaw. It was tempting (I like Shaw), but I think I'll hold out for finding a full version read by MK. I had forgotten about this 4th Goddard book read by MK.

Anyone listen to the abridged version read by Martin Shaw?

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Re: Beyond Recall

Postby amiga » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:38 pm

I've been looking for books read by Martin Shaw, having listened to all of MK's countless times, but really don't want cassettes. Wish it was in download or CD's.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby vicky » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:08 pm

Samfan, I'd hold out for the unabridged version read by Mr.K. It's a really good one, but then I am biased. I only have it in cassettes tapes, but hope to find
a CD version.
vicky

Postby Samfan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:05 pm

Just discovered that Amazon UK did have the unabridged version (The MK version)--I had to do more clicking to find it. Sold through one of their Marketplace vendors. I just ordered it. Estimated delivery May 1-May 13. Just enough time to finish Caught in the Light :ugeek: Yes, they're in cassettes, but I can deal with that.

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Mon May 05, 2014 10:46 pm

Just received Beyond Recall in the mail today. I'm looking forward to start listening.... :biggrin:

Samfan
Samfan

Postby amiga » Mon May 05, 2014 10:52 pm

I'm listening to it, again, and enjoying every bit as much as the first time.

Wonder if he'll ever do another one. I have most of them and I sure could use a new one.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Samfan » Mon May 05, 2014 10:56 pm

Samfan

Postby Samfan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:48 am

I'm really enjoying this so far. I think I'm about 3/4 the way through. I did get lost in some parts (i.e. Chris' conversation with Miriam). It's just getting better and better.

:thumbsup:

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:36 pm

I just finished Beyond Recall yesterday morning. I really liked it. Much like R. Goddard's other stories that I've listened to, it's about a basically good person who gets himself into a bit of trouble. The plots against him and his family from "Pauline" and "Emma" remind me a bit of the revenge plot from Caught in the Light. I'm proud to say I actually caught on to "Emma" before it was mentioned in the story that she was in league with Constantine (sp?). I don't often cotton onto those things.

Here is Goddard's comments from the "Behind the Book" section from his website:

"The convolutions and dramatic possibilities of the law are prime material for novelists.

Some of those possibilities are no longer available to us thanks to the onward march of reform. Laudable as those reforms are, it does mean we can’t have contemporary plots turning on simple issues of disinheritance the way our Victorian forebears did and the abolition of capital punishment has taken some of the sting out of fictional murder. (US authors have a big advantage over us there, of course, much to our chagrin.)

But the law is a dense forest, with many trees still standing. The plot for Beyond Recall originated in what suddenly struck me one day as an obvious question. It’s a well known legal principle that you can’t benefit from the proceeds of a crime of which you’ve been convicted. So, someone convicted of murder can’t inherit the estate of their murder victim. A will to that effect would be set aside and the rules of intestacy applied to find an alternative heir. But what happens if, years after such an event, the murderer is found to have been wrongfully convicted? Is the old will reinstated? Does the alternative heir have to return or repay what they inherited?

The answer, I discovered, is YES. And in that yes a story stretching over many years and several generations was born. Nobody wants to have to give up a fine house they’ve lived in or – worse – repay money they’ve already spent, effectively swapping places with hard up, disgruntled relatives they’ve got used to ignoring. Some people would go to great lengths to avoid such a nightmarish outcome. Just how far they might go is the story told in Beyond Recall."
(source: )

I recommend the book. MK's reading was, as always, delightful.

Samfan
Samfan

Postby amiga » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:33 pm

I also recommend it highly. Intriguing plot that held my interest throughout. Of course, I could listen to MK read the obituaries, but this did have its own merits. :smile:

Amiga
amiga

Postby BookwormKate » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:59 pm

Just finished listening to this while on a trip, and really enjoyed it! Not only MK's reading (of course) but the story was great. Also, it seemed like a happier ending than some of Goddard's other books. This one is my favourite of his so far I think. Would really recommend it!
"You could do with a good chat then..."
BookwormKate

Return to Voice