Book reading on BBC Radio 4 Extra: Amsterdam

Book reading on BBC Radio 4 Extra: Amsterdam

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:57 am

I've been waiting for this for a very long time! In 1999, the BBC broadcast in ten 15-min parts a reading by Mr K of Ian McEwan's book Amsterdam. At long last, it's now being repeated ...

BBC Radio 4 Extra
Episodes 1-5, Monday 10th to Friday 14th
- broadcast at 2pm UK time then repeated at 2am next morning
Episodes 6-10, Monday 17th to Friday 21st
- broadcast at 2pm UK time then repeated at 2am next morning

You'll find it on the BBC radio iPlayer, which is now called Sounds (renamed in an attempt to sound more "with it" to attract younger listeners!) ... https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001hgl

Happy listening, folks! :D

NOTE: I said yesterday that there was a problem with the playback cutting short, and that I'd reported it to the BBC. I've now edited out that comment, because the BBC were very quick to respond, and the episode now plays in full. :D
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Re: Book reading on BBC Radio 4 Extra: Amsterdam

Postby amiga » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:01 pm

Listed to this yesterday. So great to hear something "new" from our man. Annoying that it cut off.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:53 pm

amiga wrote:Listed to this yesterday. So great to hear something "new" from our man. Annoying that it cut off.

The fault has been corrected now, Amiga, so if you go back to it, the episode will play in full and with no annoying announcements at the beginning. Many thanks to the BBC for their speedy response. :D
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:33 pm

Just listened to Episode 2. All fixed. Thanks, Lynne.

I'm really loving his reading of this. If he's given up acting, wish he would at least do audio books.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby vicky » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:06 pm

Thanks for this welcome news, Lynne. I've followed your link, and have just
listened to the first two episodes.. It is lovely to hear those golden tones again,
and I am looking forward to hearing the rest of this story, read by my favourite
narrator.
vicky

Return to Voice