[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - Falling - Regarding Henry

Falling - Regarding Henry

Falling - Regarding Henry

Postby starlight » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:17 pm

Last edited by starlight on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Re: Falling - Regarding Henry

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:23 pm

Starlight, I can't contribute any deep insight into the drama, I'm afraid. I never analyse fiction to that extent - little crit here and there, but that's it. I don't get any pleasure peeling layers off the onion. Boring to some, I know, but that's me. :eyeroll:

Will say, though, that I agree with the reviewer: I've never understood why Daisy would be attracted to Henry as he presented himself. To me, he was altogether too creepy from the off; there were warning lights flashing all around him. All I can think is that Daisy was lonely and that made her rather less than discerning in Henry's case, or that Mr K misjudged the playing of the character, or that's how the director wanted it played.

Re the asides to camera, it's an Andrew Davies thing - e.g. Urquhart in House Of Cards.

Incidentally, going by the Radio Times report of the making of the drama (can be found on TMKS), Elizabeth Jane Howard thought Penelope Wilton had misjudged the reading of her character, thinking her a little too drippy! (Apologies for not giving exact quote and reference; I'd look it up, but my eye is on the clock - second ep of new Sherlock is on in fifteen minutes! ... ...)
Last edited by Lynnedean on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:31 pm

OK - great start from Lynne. Anybody out there NOT watching Sherlock? :rofl:
starlight

Postby dcfoylefan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:35 pm

Ok, I just saw Falling for the first time last week. I'm so smitten for MK I would have followed him just about anywhere. Even with all that creepy, jangly, here-comes-a-bad-guy soundtrack in the background.

I can't help it. He's just so stinking cute. And in flannel shirts? I can hardly help myself.

Felt the same way about The Guilty too. He couldn't have been more dreadful to poor Doc Martin's wife, but when he stuck his hands in his pockets and sidled up to her...Sigh.

This, among a thousand other reasons, is why I am not a film critic.
aka britishdetectives.tumblr.com
dcfoylefan

Postby kitchentease » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:27 pm

I tend to agree with James Walton, Starlight, I didn't find MK plausible as Henry. Firstly, IMHO he doesn't really do accents that well and, as Henry, he wobbled between public school and something less "cultured." That works for the character (at least the back story Henry tells) but I found it annoying. Secondly, much as there was melting, drooling on this site and KF's over the bedroom scene, I don't think there were any sparks (even temporary role-playing ones) between MK and Penelope Wilton, and it showed. Reading your analysis, perhaps the blame does lie more with direction/script than MK's acting but, apart from the "Asian babes" scene which is truly a classic, I give this one a thumbs down - sorry :obsessed: MK fans :sad:
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby Jillybean » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:21 pm

I don't agree that MK didn't play Henry as charming or plausible (when being nice) but I do think that the character of Henry was not meant to be realistically charming or plausible.

As viewers we were 'in the know' of Henry's Alfie-type character, which is presented fairly early on with the fourth wall asides. Therefore what Daisy saw as a charming local gentleman, we were meant to see an obsequious, morally bankrupt, creepy chappy.

If it was the director's intention that MK play 'nice Henry' as creepily as he could then he did an incredibly good job :thumbsup:

Not being biased in the least :wink:
There's something about you fascinates me...
Jillybean

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:02 am

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:40 pm

starlight

Postby mohairMK » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:20 am

"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby Wolesley » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:28 am

Wolesley

Postby mohairMK » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:06 am

mohairMK

Postby starlight » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:48 am

starlight

Postby jewell » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:02 pm

Henry Kent is a psychopath, plain and simple. He doesn't see the need to change because there is nothing wrong with him. He believes that other people are either like him or are weak and put there for his exploitation.

I too, believe there are many of these types among us. We don't recognize them because we can't conceive that they don't have the same feelings as we do.

Read about Ted Bundy, or watch the show Dexter, a psychopath who learned by rote to act like a normal person.

MK does an exceptional job playing a psychopath and looks fantastic doing it. I am a big fan of Falling - at least of all the scenes MK is in. (For whatever reason I especially detest the "flashback" scenes - gratuitous sex, anyone?)

I take it as a black comedy. Really, his monologue on love in the opening scene is a howl, especially watching it after learning about Henry. And it plays so well because the character believes what he's saying. He loved Daisy and doesn't understand what went wrong.

Just my opinion.

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby Wolesley » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:34 pm

Wolesley

Postby kitchentease » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:54 pm

To add to this discussion, there is an interesting analysis of "Falling" as an example of a relationship between a co-dependent woman and narcissistic man here . Apologies if this has already been posted under another thread (it's several years old) but I couldn't find it.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby starlight » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:05 am

starlight

Postby mohairMK » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:14 am

mohairMK

Postby marigold » Sat May 21, 2016 3:28 am

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot but Falling is currently available on Acorn TV as part of the Friday Features. If you haven't seen it and get Acorn, worthwhile, even for MK in this creepy role, swilling vodka and behaving (adorably) badly. About as far from super moral Foyle as it can be.
marigold

Return to Film & TV