Alibi

Re: Alibi

Postby Wolesley » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:03 pm

jewell wrote:Eugene! Tunnel!

My most favourite line of all! I often say it in my head when about to drive through a tunnel! :rofl:
(Or out loud if I'm alone in the car.)

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby ayresorchids » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:05 pm

Wolesley wrote:
jewell wrote:Eugene! Tunnel!

My most favourite line of all! I often say it in my head when about to drive through a tunnel! :rofl:
(Or out loud if I'm alone in the car.)

Lesley

Yes! And the way he recites the phone number in a jumbled rush, and his eyes bug out just before he does so...

Another favorite car scene pops into my mind: Richard Crane trying to remember the names of the couple coming over for dinner:

" I KNOW! I know I know...
I haven't a bloody clue, actually... "
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby Samfan » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:52 pm

I'm rewatching Alibi. I noticed that the wallpaper in Greg's bathroom looks a lot like the wallpaper in Foyle's sitting room.

:lol:

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby ayresorchids » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:56 am

Samfan wrote:I'm rewatching Alibi. I noticed that the wallpaper in Greg's bathroom looks a lot like the wallpaper in Foyle's sitting room.

:lol:

Samfan

And it also shows up in The Railway Children !
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby Anglophile » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:05 pm

Rather intrigued by all these stellar reviews of Alibi, I watched it on YouTube a couple weeks ago.
(Thank you kind person who posted it on YouTube!)
It started as a casual "Eh, I'll just watch Part 1 and see how it is." 5 (out of 11) parts later I looked up and realized it was 2 am.
Needless to say I loved this movie :D MK played a perfect nervous wreck, and Sophie Okenedo was brilliant. (Was anyone else forcibly reminded of Foyle and Sam in that "It was special, wasn't it?" scene? Especially when he says something like "I know I'm a bit flaky but I'm not deluded - I'm old enough to be your father!") Those of you with Alibi signatures picked the best quotes, too. :D
I also very much enjoyed the 2 epilogue fanfics I found - the end of the movie definitely left you wanting more.
"Why have you brought us to shelter in the fuel dump, Andrew?"
Anglophile

Postby Lynnedean » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:31 pm

As you'll deduce from my avatar, Anglophile, Greg Brentwood is top of my list of favourite Michael Kitchen performances. :D

In case you're wondering why the drama appears on YouTube in 11 parts, it was because YT puts a limit on the lengths of videos that new subscribers may upload; after a while, video lengths are extended when certain conditions have been met.

If you ever want to check any of the plot points or dialogue in Alibi, you'll find a transcript in the ALIBI in detail thread at the top of this sub-forum. :smile:
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Anglophile » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi Lynnedean,
Such recommendations were the reason I watched it to begin with; after Foyle I was baffled by the notion that anyone could prefer MK as another character. Now I get it! After even-keeled Foyle it's such fun to see him all over the place in Alibi.
Thanks for the info about the parts. I actually prefer it being posted in short, 15-min clips; I would've been a bit daunted by one 2 1/2 hour YT video. Plus this way it's much easier to find your favorite scenes and watch them over and over again. (Not that I would be guilty of that, cough cough.) Thanks for the transcript too!
"Why have you brought us to shelter in the fuel dump, Andrew?"
Anglophile

Postby starlight » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:18 am

This cropped up in Google Alerts today: David Richards, who directed Alibi, has died.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news- ... cer-battle

We also have him to thank for directing Reckless: The Sequel and most of Reckless.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Lynnedean » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:03 am

starlight wrote:This cropped up in Google Alerts today: David Richards, who directed Alibi, has died. [...]

We also have him to thank for directing Reckless: The Sequel and most of Reckless.

David Richards also directed the FW episode Killing Time.

Mr K obviously enjoyed working with him. In the Alibi publicity release (April 2003), he is quoted as saying: "Paul Abbott is up there with the very best screen writers around of which there are precious few. This is the third time I've worked with him, and the first time since Reckless that he, myself and David Richards have been able to work together again. Depending on the outcome of this, it's probably one of the best and most successful working arrangements I've experienced, with lots of give and take, plenty of flexibility, loads of suggestions with everything pretty much wide open and adaptable up to the final take." The Michael Kitchen Site: Alibi publicity release, April 2003
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:10 am

Thanks for that information, Lynne. Sad to note that MK and David Richards are close contemporaries. It's no age to go.

And both spent formative years in Coventry, so they must have had some tales to share. :)
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Lynette » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:33 pm

I'm delighted to report that the Acorn streaming service has recently loaded Alibi. Husband and I watched it last night; it was the first time I'd seen it in over a decade.

I remembered the plot, but he didn't, and it was fun to watch him trying to work out everything. Also nice that it was such a clear image; my only previous viewing had been on a very fuzzy recorded DVD a kind friend in England sent over. The story was just as powerful as it was back in 2003; it has aged well.

I don't know if the Acorn streaming service is available outside the USA, but it now includes The Hanging Gale, Dandelion Dead and Falling as well as Alibi and the entire run of Foyle's War -- and, of course, a lot of productions that don't include MK. And they seem to have added quite a few Canadian and Australian programs along with the British ones (even The Brokenwood Mysteries from New Zealand). Not bad for $5 a month!
Lynette

Postby amiga » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:49 pm

I recently watched it again on Acorn, as well as the others. So much easier than getting up and popping in the DVD. :smile: It just never gets old. He is a delight to watch and is sorely missed.

Love Acorn. Lots of good stuff, some streaming at the same time that they are in the UK.

Hope 2018 brings us something new from the old boy.

Amiga :rudolfbig:
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby jewell » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:07 pm

Is it the complete version? Film begins in Marci's office? And includes the bath scene?

Inquiring minds and all.

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby kitchenwonder » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:45 pm

jewell wrote:Is it the complete version? Film begins in Marci's office? And includes the bath scene?

J

I believe it is the complete version. But it begins as the caterers are driving to the Brentwood home for the anniversary party. And, yes, the bath scene is there. :lol:
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Postby amiga » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:46 pm

Yes, I agree. I believe it is all there, unless we actually saw him in the tub! :lol:

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Lynette » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:28 am

Not to disagree, but it did begin in Marcey's office, as she's rumbling the benefits seeker telling her an elaborate whopper about a child in hospital.

And we got the bath scene too -- "I don't do baths, I do showers".
Lynette

Postby kitchenwonder » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:22 am

Lynette wrote:Not to disagree, but it did begin in Marcey's office, as she's rumbling the benefits seeker telling her an elaborate whopper about a child in hospital.

And we got the bath scene too -- "I don't do baths, I do showers".

You are correct! My bad!
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Postby jewell » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:37 pm

amiga wrote:Yes, I agree. I believe it is all there, unless we actually saw him in the tub! :lol:

Sorry, but that's "Freud", not "Alibi" - and well worth a peek!

Good to know it's the complete version, it makes so much more sense than the chopped up one.

Is the Acorn site like Netflix, where things come and go? I just don't think I can fit Acorn watching into my life right now, but it would be nice to see a clear version of "Alibi" in the future. Is it on there to stay, ya think?

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby amiga » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:14 pm

jewell wrote:
amiga wrote:Yes, I agree. I believe it is all there, unless we actually saw him in the tub! :lol:

Sorry, but that's "Freud", not "Alibi" - and well worth a peek!

J

Yes, I've peek, quite a few times! :lol:
amiga

Postby kitchenwonder » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:17 am

The "bath tub" scene in "Alibi" is left up to the imagination. And I have a good imagination. :biggrin:
kitchenwonder

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV