Alibi

Alibi

Postby menopausalgoddess » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:37 pm

OMG, this is brilliant - love the way MK is thumping the photograph on the fridge lol.

I'm taking caps as I watch if anyone wants me to post them let me know or I can put a link to the album.
Some crackers!

He's a natural comic, and I didn't expect I'd say that - more, more more.

:rofl:
menopausalgoddess

Re: Alibi

Postby amiga » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:26 am

Alibi might just be on the top of my list. Lost count of how many times I've seen it, and every time he makes me laugh out loud throughout. While he is a brilliant dramatic actor, I think he loves
to make roles comedic when they are not necessarily meant to be that. I think he's hysterical in Dandelion Dead, not exactly a comedic subject, but his portrayal of the Major is comedic genius, in my opinion.

While I love Christopher Foyle, I just wish someone would write a role like Alibi for him again.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby menopausalgoddess » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:14 am

Hi Amiga

I've just finished watching and capping it - it took forever, a 2.5 hour film and then capping on top of that but it's worth it - I've got some beauties!

It was a good film, I'd love to watch it again without the stop/start I did.

I was thinking though, at the end in the confessional, he was just SO Foyle - don't know if it was because he had the blue suit on - just that the expressions and the feeling was Foyle.

Ah well, got to be up early, just uploading caps then off to bed it's 2.15am here!

Ke
menopausalgoddess

Postby menopausalgoddess » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:16 am

One of many ... for my new friends!

menopausalgoddess

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:10 am

Thanks for the lovely cap, Ke. Greg Brentwood in Alibi is my favourite of Mr K's many performances that I've seen, Foyle included. It's a terrific production all round and it's a joy to see Mr K and the wonderful Sophie Okonedo working together.

If you don't already know, you will be interested to learn that the production company AKA Pictures that made Alibi was the same one that had previously made Reckless, and Paul Abbott, who wrote both scripts, wrote Alibi with the intention that Michael Kitchen would play Greg. The following is from the Alibi publicity release dated April 2003, which you can find on TMKS - The Michael Kitchen site ...
    AKA knew they wanted to work with Michael Kitchen again ever since they made Reckless. Producer Judith Hackett says: "I think everyone was quite surprised to see him play that slightly comic role, and he loved it and felt it was a relief not to be playing some stiff upper lip gentleman, which of course he does brilliantly, and this is really the first chance we have had since then to work with Michael in a role written for him."
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby menopausalgoddess » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:58 am

If you fancy a look at my screen cap exploits here's the link

http://s19.photobucket.com/user/lindkaa/slideshow/ALIBI

It'll ask for a password, it's the same for all MK based images on there - the surname!

Enjoy

:ugeek:
menopausalgoddess

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:39 pm

Great stuff, Ke.

Capping's addictive, isn't it. :D
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:18 pm

Fun, Caps, Ke.

Having trouble seeing the quiet CF in the manic Gregg. Guess I'll be forced to watch it again :lol:

Thanks

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby menopausalgoddess » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:31 pm

Lynne - indeed it is, I'm already planning tonight's viewing - at work at present.

Amiga - It's the mannerisms/expressions etc just at the end of Alibi that remind me of Foyle - might be just me and the late hour (2am) when I watched it.

Started on the audiobook of Wuthering Heights on way in to work tonight - he said some very rude words indeed, good job I was sat at the traffic lights lol.
menopausalgoddess

Postby vicky » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:39 pm

Thanks for all those wonderful caps from Alibi. He gave a really
stunning performance as Greg Brentwood, and looked pretty
good, too. So pleased that you enjoyed watching it. I've seen it
quite a few times, and it never loses its magic.
vicky

Postby Samfan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:21 pm

Does anyone know of anyplace to get a cheaper price for Alibi than Amazon? Amazon has it for $49.99 (!), and Amazon-UK has it for BP52.00 (!). I checked Ebay, but they don't have it. I know its on youtube, but I'd rather have the DVD (the better to watch it on my new large-screen TV; I could try getting youtube on it--its a 'smart TV'). Why is it so expensive anyway? Barnes & Noble online has it for $69.97! And, sad to say, I just discovered that Netflix must not have it now, because I had to put it in my queue under 'save,' not under the normal 'queue.'

Almost $50.00 is too steep for me for any DVD, even if it has MK in it. I did just spend almost $30.00 each on The Guilty ($29.24) and Mobile ($27.26), and I preordered FW S. 7 for $34.99, but that is about as high as I'm willing to go.

Also, has anyone seen the 2004 version (American, I think) of The Guilty, starring Bill Pullman? Here's the description from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Guilty-Gabrielle-Anwar/dp/B000056WRB/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1378847394&sr=1-2&keywords=The+Guilty

The Guilty and Mobile arrive tomorrow. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow evening? :wink:

Thanks! :wave:

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby amiga » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:33 pm

Just saw this on Ebay....don't know if it's still available. It's used in good condition....but it's only $16

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Alibi-DVD-/46423791

Amiga
amiga

Postby Samfan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:57 am

amiga wrote:Just saw this on Ebay....don't know if it's still available. It's used in good condition....but it's only $16

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Alibi-DVD-/46423791

Amiga

Thanks Amiga! I just bought it :biggrin:

I don't know why I missed it when I searched for it this weekend.

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby amiga » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:09 am

Great! Glad I found it. I've never had a problem with buying a used dvd, so hopefully, good means good. :smile:

Amiga
amiga

Postby Englishfan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:17 pm

Alibi! FABULOUS! :thumbsup:

And I do love Dandelions, too. I love it. I know not everyone loves Hanging Gale, but I sure do.

Alibi makes me laugh harder each time I see it! :rofl: Love the CAPS and info that the part was written for him.

WHERE IS THE PAUL ABBOT AND WHY DOESN'T HE WRITE ANOTHER PART FOR MR. KITCHEN?! :waiting: Anyone know?

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby Samfan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:19 am

I rewatched Alibi again tonight, and really enjoyed it.

Alas, my mom did not. We started out watching it together, and in the beginning she got so nervous about the cover up that she had to leave the room. Then, she got so irritated with the stories that Marcy and Greg were telling, that she gave up on it.

Oh well, everyone has their own tastes.

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Wolesley » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:35 am

Oh, too bad, Samfan - but your Mom's right - it is a rather serious crime they're trying to cover up!

But MK plays 'terrified' so beautifully - their scene together in the car, when Marcey first gives him the pills, that alone should have won him the BAFTA, the Emmy, and any other awards out there! Absolutely my most favourite bit of acting, ever! (I hope he didn't get too lightheaded filming it, with all that hyperventilating!) :rofl:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby FancyFoyle » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:55 pm

Wolesley wrote:But MK plays 'terrified' so beautifully - their scene together in the car, when Marcey first gives him the pills, that alone should have won him the BAFTA, the Emmy, and any other awards out there! Absolutely my most favourite bit of acting, ever! (I hope he didn't get too lightheaded filming it, with all that hyperventilating!) :rofl:

Lesley

Oh Lesley, I could not agree more! I'm so glad I've found this forum, even if only to get this much needed validation! His performance in "Alibi" is (IMHO) his best. Granted, I have not seen everything he's ever done, but his portrayal of the twitchy, neurotic, and ultimately very p!$$ed-off character of Greg Brentwood is spot-on!

One of my favorite scenes between MK and SO is just after Marcey discovers Martin's body and has locked herself in the bathroom, looking for weapons and trying to open the window. Meanwhile, Greg is outside the door, riffling through her handbag and asking questions about where Martin's hands were on his wife's back. I think that scene set the semi-comedic tone of the film and establishes the bond of trust between the two characters that builds from there. The chemistry between the two is WONDERFUL and I so wish there could be a sequel!

Incidentally, I read your "sequel", Lesley. Just brilliant! Makes me want to dust off my copy of Microsoft Word and write me own fanfic.

When I get time.....
Martha
FancyFoyle

Postby amiga » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:09 pm

Couldn't agree more with everything that has been said. Alibi just might be my favorite MK role. No matter how many times I watch it, I laugh all the way through. I always remember his comments on the character...."Michael Kitchen describes his character as: "Devoted, hard working and generous in a single minded, self centered, naïve, neurotic kind of way: a bit like me," he laughs. I wonder now much of MK is really in the character. Good thing for the devoted, hard working and generous part, because single minded, self-centered, naive, and neurotic would probably drive you nuts :rofl:

MK has the amazing ability to be hysterically funny in one scene, and then do an incredible piece of dramatic acting in another. He does it in Alibi and also in Reckless to name two.

Amiga
amiga

Postby jewell » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:09 pm

Eugene! Tunnel!
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Next

Return to Film & TV