House of Cards (& To Play the King)

House of Cards (& To Play the King)

Postby starlight » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:08 am

I wonder if the rest of you have seen this forthright interview with Ian Richardson. It appeared in The Washington Post in 1994, following the release of To Play the King:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 00a404a36/

The whole article is worth a read, but this paragraph about the casting of the king set me speculating:
The king is played by Michael Kitchen, whom Richardson described as "our last choice, really. One actor turned it down because he was very friendly with certain members of the junior royal family. Another turned it down because he was recently knighted and thought it would be inappropriate. Another turned it down because he wanted to write. But we ended up with a miraculous fit."

Bravo for the compliment to MK's king :pleased: But who, then, were the three actors who declined the part? :puzzled:
  1. One actor turned it down because he was very friendly with certain members of the junior royal family.
    My best guess would be Anthony Andrews (born the same year as MK), because Princess Anne is godmother to his daughter.
  2. Another turned it down because he was recently knighted and thought it would be inappropriate.
    This is a knotty one. I went through all the actor knighthoods between 1981 and 89 and only came up with Michael Hordern ('83), Anthony Quayle ('85) and Rex Harrison ('89), all of whom were too old for the part.
  3. Another turned it down because he wanted to write.
    Too difficult.
Does anybody have any information to share about this?
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Re: House of Cards (& To Play the King)

Postby ayresorchids » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:56 am

Great detective work!
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Re: House of Cards (& To Play the King)

Postby kitchentease » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:23 am

Starlight wrote:
The whole article is worth a read

Excellent find, Starlight. He certainly believes in the dirty tricks department.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Return to Film & TV