Unman, Wittering, and Zigo (1971)

Unman, Wittering, and Zigo (1971)

Postby Samfan » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:27 pm

I rented this off of Amazon Prime today, and just finished watching it. MK played a student at a British boarding school (his name was Bungabine). Apparently a bunch of students went in together to kill their Lower B Form teacher, and then threatened his replacement. I believe we are to wonder who actually did the killing, or if it was all an accident. Its one of those movies where I will need more than one viewing to know what is going on.

This was one of MK's earlier works. He had a small part. I don't think I would have been interested if he had not been in it. Anyone else watched this one?

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Re: Unman, Wittering, and Zigo (1971)

Postby Wolesley » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:06 pm

I own it, but have only watched it twice, as it is a disturbing, creepy story.
I'm not a fan of films that present children wielding malevolent power over adults (well, nor the reverse :|). As a teacher, I fear they could give young people bad ideas. :rofl:
Hated the threatened rape scene, which perhaps was not originally in the story.
David Hemmings acted well.
Apparently this had been a 1958 radio play originally.
Interesting background on the play: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unman,_ ... g_and_Zigo

Main redeeming feature was seeing MK acting his heart out as a baddie, at a tender age.

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Rhonllor » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:32 pm

Wolesley wrote:
Main redeeming feature was seeing MK acting his heart out as a baddie, at a tender age.

Lesley

I couldn't agree more! Rather disturbing story, but good performances. And very young Kitchen is so cute even though his character was reprehensible.

Rhonda
Rhonllor

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:33 pm

Wolesley wrote:I own it, but have only watched it twice, as it is a disturbing, creepy story. [...] Hated the threatened rape scene, which perhaps was not originally in the story. [...] Apparently this had been a 1958 radio play originally.

I heard a broadcast of Giles Cooper's play on BBC radio way back when (can't remember exactly, but it will have been sometime in the 60s). I found it only interesting, not disturbing. When years later I saw the film, I was rather surprised, as that was rather different and indeed disturbing. I shouldn't really have been surprised, as it's par for the course for film makers to take liberties with original texts (think how many of your favourite novels and plays been ruined in that way). You're right about the threatened rape scene, Lesley: the play contains no such scene.

Note: Good second-hand copies of the drama script can be obtained from various online sources (AbeBooks .com or .co.uk have them at very low prices).
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:52 pm

So are we to assume that Wittering committed suicide from the bullying from the other lower B form boys, or that they killed him? And, did they kill Unman and Zigo--or were they also bullied and left the school?
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Return to Film & TV