FW6-3: All Clear

Detailed summaries

FW6-3: All Clear

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:47 pm

FW6-3: All Clear (revised)

Wednesday, 2nd May 1945

Asleep in the back of a taxi as it is driven through Hastings, Major John Kiefer of the US Army dreams of a devastating military action at sea. He is in the water amidst the bodies of dead soldiers, and the surface of the sea around him is on fire with burning fuel. Suddenly standing before his commanding officer, he is ordered to make sure that the bodies are found, and, ignoring his protests, the CO tells him firmly "There will be no funerals. No next of kin. Nothing ever happened here." Kiefer wakes as the image of a hideously wounded soldier appears in front of him.

The taxi pulls up at the Majestic Hotel in Hastings where Kiefer wearily checks in. As he signs the book, the receptionist smiles and says brightly that she supposes he's on his way home and will be glad to get back to his family. Kiefer responds in a surly manner, but he immediately apologies for his behaviour, saying that he's tired.

In his room, he sits down heavily in a chair, throws his cap onto another and puts his head in his hands.

As Sam Stewart walks through Hastings, a man asks if she wants to buy any red, white and blue bunting at two shillings and sixpence per quarter yard "and you don't need coupons!" Sam declines, saying the price is outrageous. The man says she won't find any in the shops.

She enters the office of the Ingleton Advertising Agency where she has an appointment for a job interview. She had thought the job was that of secretary, but Ray Ingleton is looking for someone who can also write snappy advertising slogans. "We're looking for someone with imagination. Someone willing to grasp the nettle."
Sam immediately replies, "Oh, that's me! I'm willing to grasp it."
Ingleton asks her to give him a slogan of six words that he can't resist and that will persuade him to take her on.
Sam struggles to come up with anything, then finally pronounces "Sam Stewart – she gets the job done!" She smiles triumphantly, but Ingleton is unimpressed. He sighs heavily and points out that her slogan has seven words.
Sam sags in her seat.

Paul Milner has taken his wife Edith to local doctor Henry Zeigler for a check-up on her pregnancy. After examination, he says that all is well and asks if she has a bed at St Mary's hospital. Edith says that she has, and that St Mary's was where she had been working.

The doctor asks if they have chosen a name, and when Edith replies Winston, says it's the fourth one that week. Milner, not looking overly happy with the name, says they're still thinking about it. Edith frowns.

Walking arm-in-arm on the way home, Milner remarks that he couldn't be happier. Edith comments on nappies costing one coupon each, and says she's concerned about clothes. When Milner says that Sam is going to a make a romper suit out of an army blanket she isn't impressed. "That's a fine start in life, an old blanket."
Her husband replies that at least the child will be born in a world without war.

As Detective Chief Superintendent Foyle enters the Hastings police station, he passes uniformed policemen carrying a filing cabinet out, and finds packing cases and office chairs stacked in the reception area. Sergeant Brooke explains that they've started moving stuff out, saying that he can't believe the station is to close, and commenting that the new building on Wilder Road is a bit of an eyesore. As Foyle heads to his office, Brooke tells him that Mr Griffiths, a local councillor, is waiting there to see him.

At that point, Milner comes into the station, and Foyle asks after Edith. Milner, smiling happily, reports that she's just been to the doctor and all is well. Brooke says that being promoted to detective inspector and becoming a dad isn't bad going for a week's work, but Milner says he hasn't had confirmation of the promotion yet.

In Foyle's office, Griffiths tells the DCS that the matter concerns the victory day celebrations. He says there will be large numbers of people out on the streets day and night and that the Council has responsibility for certain issues. He has been asked to chair a committee concerned with all aspects of public order and safety, which, due to lack of office space, will meet in the museum. He tells Foyle that he is to be on the committee and that the first meeting is to be at ten next morning, which Foyle considers to be rather short notice.

At the Majestic Hotel, the owner Martin Longmate is interviewed by a journalist from the Chronicle, because he is to stand for Parliament at the next election. Asked if he is expecting the next election to be soon, he says that many Conservative MPs are urging the Prime Minister to end the coalition. He says he plans to a hold a big street party to celebrate the end of the war, which he will pay for personally, and he rejects the suggestion that some people might viewed it as an attempt to bribe the electorate.

As the journalist leaves, Longmate's secretary tells her boss that the committee meeting is tomorrow at ten o'clock and that it has been moved to the museum. Longmate says it would be good if she would attend and take the minutes.

In the police station, Sam gives Milner the item of clothing that she has made out of an army blanket for his expected baby, telling him apologetically that it didn't come out quite as she'd hoped. Milner has a hard time recognising the homemade gift as a romper suit, but does his best to sound delighted to have received it.

Sam asks "Any news on the move yet?" and he replies that he still hasn't got his promotion. Sam suddenly thinks of something and asks Milner if, in the event of him going to Brighton, he thinks he'll need a driver. She's disappointed when he says he doesn't think he'll be given a car.

In his office, Foyle is just finishing reading a copy of the Hastings Chronicle, the front page of which carries news of the death of Adolph Hitler, when Sam looks into his office to tell him that she's back. He asks about the interview, and she tells him that it didn't go well. She says she doesn't know what she'll do after the war. "This place is closing down. You're retiring. Milner's transferring to Brighton. We've been together so long, I feel I'm losing my family."

Foyle fishes a pamphlet out of a pile of papers, saying that it might be of interest to her. He says it's about an organisation called SSAFA, the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association that helps returning servicemen, and that they're looking for volunteers. "It could be right up your street."
Smiling, Sam takes the pamphlet and says "Right, sir. I'll breeze along." At the door, she turns and asks her boss if he might reconsider retiring.
He replies firmly, "No thank you."

On walking up to his front door, Mark Griffiths discovers that someone has pinned a picture of a tiger to it. He is greatly upset. His mother says she knows nothing about the picture. She is concerned about her son, and says he hasn't been the same since he got back and that she wishes he'd tell her what happened.

Next morning. Outside Foyle's home on Steep Lane, the street is strung with red, white and blue bunting. Inside, as he prepares to leave for work, Foyle listens to a live radio broadcast from Germany. The reporter says "I'm in the village of Luneburg and I'm watching the German Army coming in to surrender. German tanks, guns, a multitude of lorries, and infantrymen in their hundreds have been arriving, bringing with them beaten men. In the midst of these defeated soldiers comes a huddle of RAF released prisoners, cheering as they go by. It's what we've been waiting for: the end of the German Army in the north."

As Foyle and Sam walk to the Wolseley, Sam says that she can't understand why there's no official announcement that the war is over. Foyle doesn't understand it, either.

The DCS tells his driver to take him to the museum, and as they get into the car, Sam tells him that she has arranged to see someone at SSAFA that afternoon.

Dr Henry Zeigler has gone to the museum to attend the victory day committee. In reception, Michael Brown, assistant curator, queries the doctor's surname as being German. Foyle walks in as the doctor explains that he's Austrian and says crossly that he doesn't see that his nationality is any of his business.

Foyle and Zeigler go upstairs to the committee room, on the way passing glass cases displaying various objects.

In the committee room, Griffiths introduces Zeigler to Martin Longmate. The doctor says he believes that they've met, and when Longmate says he doesn't think so, says he's sure he knows the name. Longmate replies that he may have read about him in the press, as he's standing for Parliament.

Griffiths explains that Janice Hylton is he there to take the minutes.

The final member of the committee arrives. It is John Kiefer, and he and Foyle express surprise at seeing one another. Foyle says he thought Kiefer had been transferred. Kiefer explains that he's back, and tells the other members that he's with the 215th US Engineers who built the airbase at Hawthorn Hill.

At the mention of the airbase, Zeigler grins, commenting "That monstrosity!"
Kiefer takes exception to the remark: "Well, it helped us launch the invasion into northern Europe and win the war, but, y'know, I'm really sorry if it spoiled the landscape."
Ziegler apologises, indicating that he meant no offence.
Kiefer, too, says, sorry, adding "It's just that it took a lot of the blood, sweat, toil and tears your Mr Churchill goes on about." He is in an ill temper.

Down in the lobby, Brown speaks to Sam, who instead of waiting in the car, has come into the building. He tells her angrily that one of the committee members is a Jerry, and says that Germans should be wiped off the face of the earth.

At the meeting, Griffiths is concerned about public order offences, saying that park benches are being taken for bonfires. Kiefer remarks that it's typical of the British to come through a world war and then start worrying about park benches. Griffiths reminds him that there are many GIs in Hastings and they're not known for their orderly conduct when it comes to street parties.
Kiefer accuses him of having it in for the Yanks. He says that the end of the war had actually been announced on US bases a week ago, and that they didn't have any problems.
Longmate queries "A week ago?"
Kiefer admits that it was an error but again makes his point by saying that the GIs didn't lose their heads. Looking at Griffiths, he adds flatly "No dead bodies."

Longmate says that there will surely be public order offences, but after five years people deserve a chance to let their hair down. Foyle asks about the planned street party, and Janice responds, saying that it will be the largest in the south of England. Longmate explains that he's just doing his bit, seeing as he wasn't able to fight.
Zeigler asks, "You weren't fit for active service, Mr Longmate?"
When Longmate replies that he had a problem with his eyes, Zeigler queries "Your eyes?"
Longmate confirms it.

When off duty, Sam goes to SSAFA's base and is welcomed by the supervisor Anne Calder, who tells her that they need all the help they can get. Anne explains that thousands of returning soldiers are searching for their families because people have moved, many having been bombed out, and families are searching for wounded or missing servicemen. She says that people have different needs such as clothing, food, housing, and some just want someone to talk to. She warns that some of the men are more damaged than anyone understands.

That night, Kiefer has nightmares about the deaths at sea of hundreds of soldiers, and challenging his CO when told it's no one's fault. He wakes in a sweat and takes a drink of whisky.

Friday, 4th May 1945

Returning soldier Edward Hylton is warmly greeted at the door of his home by his wife Janice, who is overjoyed to see him. Janice kisses him and throws her arms around him, not noticing that her husband is very hesitant and doesn't even smile.

At the police station, Brooke tells Sam that a prospective MP is advertising in the newspaper for a personal assistant. She says she'll give him a ring.

In Foyle's office, the DCS tells Milner that at the committee there was a lot of talk about nothing and no action taken at the end. "So more or less as expected, really." He telephones the Majestic Hotel and asks for Major Kiefer, and, as he waits, tells his sergeant that there is to be another meeting tomorrow.
When Milner queries a meeting being held on a Saturday, Foyle replies somewhat sarcastically, "We have to be prepared for every eventuality, it seems."
Milner says, "VE Day, that's what they're calling it. Victory in Europe."

In their home, Edward and Janice Hylton sit at the kitchen table, talking. Edward explains to Janice that he didn't let her know about his return because he got out at only the last minute. She asks where he was, and Hylton tells her that it was an island called Ist.

Janice goes to him and gives him a hug. When she sits on his knee and he puts his arms around her, he remarks that she feels different. When she asks him what he means, he replies "I dunno. Put on weight." He says it suits her, but adds, "It's funny, though."
Janice says that he has changed too, and that after four years it's like meeting him for the first time. He smiles and, saying that there's a lot of catching up to do, begins to undo the top button of Janice's blouse. She immediately pulls away and stands up, saying "Not now! Got to get to work."

Her husband asks if she's serious, and she says that of course she's not going to work but that she has to call in to let Mr Longmate know.
Hylton asks who Longmate is. Janice explains that he's her boss, reminding him that she told him in a letter about Longmate giving her a job at the Majestic Hotel.
Hylton surprises her by asking in an accusing tone, "Is that all he gave you?"
Janice, laughing it off, tells her husband not to say things like that, and suggests that he go with her to the hotel to meet her boss, saying that he might be able to help him.

Hylton asks why he should need help. Janice replies that he needs a job. "The war's over, Eddie. We need to start again. You made it. That's all that matters, and we're together."
Hylton doesn't look convinced.

Griffiths is in a medical consultation with Dr Zeigler at Zeigler's surgery. He is told that his blood pressure is very high and asked when he last got a proper night's sleep. When he replies that he can't sleep, Zeigler says that he must rest, and asks what it is that he has on his mind.

Obviously agitated, Griffiths replies, "I'm being persecuted."
"Persecuted?"
"Because of what happened. It was horrible. But it wasn't just me!"
The doctor tells him to calm down and that he's not making any sense, but Griffiths' agitation increases. "Why are they blaming me?"
Zeigler says he needs to calm down. He prescribes a sedative and tells his patient that he should miss the next committee meeting.
Griffiths states adamantly without explanation, "It wasn't my fault. I don't deserve this!"

At the Majestic, Janice introduces Hylton to Longmate. Longmate speaks to him in friendly manner, but Hylton is somewhat morose. Longmate says he imagines that Hylton will find it hard to adapt to life in civvie street, and Hylton replies "I just need a bit of time to myself, sir. With my wife."
Longmate tells Janice to take as much time off as she needs, and tells Hylton, who is a carpenter, that when he's ready there will be work for him as a joiner at the hotel.

As the couple leave the hotel, Hylton jumps at the sound of car door being slammed shut.

Sam goes to the Majestic for the appointment she has made to see Longmate.

At Foyle's request, John Kiefer calls on him in his home on Steep Lane. The Major presents him with a bottle of whisky and suggests he open it. Foyle says it's a little early for him, but Kiefer says it's not for him, so Foyle pours him a drink. Asked about his son, he tells Kiefer that Andrew is in Malta and hasn't been heard from for some time.

The American asks why Foyle wants to see him. Foyle assures him that it's not official business, saying that, as Kiefer was back in Hastings but hadn't been in touch, he was wondering if everything was all right. Kiefer assures him that he's fine and is glad to be back.

Foyle asks about him having been in Devon. Kiefer confirms that he was. Foyle then asks if he did any fishing there, and when Kiefer replies that he didn't get the chance, says, "Well, listen, I'm going out tomorrow. Interested?"
"I thought we were all meeting again tomorrow – the goddam committee."
"Well, the goddam committee is in the afternoon. We've still got the morning."
Kiefer looks weary as he declines the invitation, saying that, over the years, he's lost the taste for fishing and for a lot of things. Abruptly, he stands and puts on his cap to leave. "You know what? I just want to go home! That's about the size of it."

Sam is interviewed by Longmate at the Majestic. She explains about being seconded from the MTC as a police driver. Longmate asks her if she is interested in politics, and she immediately replies enthusiastically, "Absolutely!" However, when then asked for her views on Beveridge's idea for a national health service, and Labour's plans for public ownership, she has to admit that she knows nothing about politics. All she can say is "It seems to me that we trusted Mr Churchill to bring us through the war and we ought to trust him now with the peace."

Longmate praises her honesty, saying it can be a rare commodity in politics, and invites her to have lunch with him the next day. When Sam demurs, he explains that they have to know if they can get along, so he's proposing a less formal meeting. Sam says that she's not free for lunch as she'll be working at SSAFA, but she accepts an alternative suggestion of dinner at seven.

At home, Hylton is quiet and doesn't eat his evening meal. He says he's not hungry. Janice tells him that it's the best tinned salmon and that she can't remember the last time she got a tin, as she's never had enough points. She admits that she was given it by Longmate, but says he gave it to her for her husband. When she says Longmate has looked after her, Hylton asks sullenly what that's supposed to mean. Janice replies, "He's given me a job. I had to do something while you were away." After a pause, she asks if this is how it's going to be. "You've come back, but it's like I hardly know you."

Hylton says he has an upset stomach and has made an appointment to see Dr Zeigler the next day. Janice says that he should let her take care of him. Hylton, glaring at her, replies that if she cares, she can start by telling him what it is she's keeping from him.

Mark Griffiths arrives home and finds on the hall table a large envelope addressed to him. His mother tells him that she didn't see who delivered it, as it was left on the doorstep. As Griffiths opens the envelope, sand cascades to the floor, and he begins to sob.

Saturday, 5th May 1945

As Foyle is trout fishing in the river, Andrew approaches and calls out "Dad!" Foyle turns, and smiles on seeing his son. The two men walk together back to Steep lane.

Over a glass of Kiefer's bourbon, Andrew tells his father that following an acute attack of sinusitis that put him in hospital for four days he's been sent home and won't be flying any more.
Foyle says "So you're out of it."
Andrew replies, "Yeah. I made it."
Foyle smiles with pleasure.

Andrew recalls with sorrow the men he served with who didn't make it. "They were my friends and yet it's like I hardly knew them. Here one day, gone the next. The best of the best."
Foyle asks if he's wondering why them and not him.
When Andrew says he wonders it all the time, Foyle suggests that perhaps he was the better pilot. Andrew replies that the opposite is said: that the ones who knew what they were doing were the easiest to bring down, and that the ones who cut corners and didn't go by the book got away with it because the Germans didn't know what to expect.

Andrew asks his father if he is definitely leaving the police, and Foyle replies that he can't wait. Andrew then enquires after Sam, and when his father queries why he's asked, says he was just wondering.
Foyle comments about him having met someone else. Andrew says it didn't work out with Kate, a girl in the WAAF with whom he had thought he was in love but wasn't. He tells his father that he had hated Debden and had missed his Spitfire.

When Foyle tells him that Sam is helping at SSAFA, he says he may look her up. Foyle remarks curtly that he hadn't been very kind to her.
Andrew replies, "I know. Stupid bloody war." He asks, "Do you think it was worth it, Dad?"
Foyle says "Well, we've all paid a price, some more than others, but I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever. And I'm very glad you're back."

In his home, Mark Griffiths answers the telephone and hears a male voice say "It was just a few numbers. More then seven hundred American boys died because of you."
Griffiths insists he wasn't responsible, and hangs up the phone.

On the sea front, John Kiefer leaves the phone box from which he has made the call.

Edward Hylton goes to SSAFA. It is Sam who speaks to him, but she doesn't find it easy, because he is very low in spirit. He declines the offer of a cup of tea. He looks very unhappy and when Sam remarks that he must be glad to be out of the Army, he says he's not sure that he is. Sam says that she doesn't know why people aren't more cheerful now the war is over.

Hylton says he was told SSAFA could help him find work. Sam gives him a booklet containing information about what they can offer. "University grants, training programmes, employment schemes, that sort of thing." She asks if he is all right for money. He says he was given eight weeks paid leave and that he has a house but is thinking of moving away from Hastings.

Sam suggests he visit the resettlement advice office. When also telling him about the married families club, she asks if he's married, but she gets no response. She explains that it's her first day and, apologising for not being of much use, asks Hylton if he'd like to speak to someone else.
He shakes his head. "No. I've got nothing to say."

Sam asks if being back is really so bad. Hylton replies that he doesn't know where he is any more after four years behind the lines doing what they did, all of them together, and then suddenly being told that it's over and everyone has to go home and start again. He asks "How are we meant to do that? How are we meant to put it all behind us? … Cup of tea? Married families club? Half my mates got killed out there. Maybe they were the lucky ones."

It is now afternoon. In the lobby of the museum, assistant curator Michael Brown slams down his newspaper after reading an article headed "Britain enraged by new Nazi horrors".

Upstairs, at the second meeting of the public order and safety committee, Dr Zeigler comments on the Government's slowness to make an official announcement that the war is over.

Griffiths says that on the day of the announcement, all public houses are to stay open until midnight. He has trouble finding the relevant official notification, and when explains that he hasn't been sleeping well, John Kiefer remarks, "That's too bad."
The councillor goes on to report that more supplies of whisky and gin have been distributed across the south coast, the bottles being marked 'not to be sold until Victory night'. Addressing Foyle, he says it must be ensured that the injunction is adhered to. Foyle says he doesn't see how that can be done, and comments that officers could be sent into the pubs but the chances of them coming out again were pretty slim. Kiefer grins.

Milner collects Edith as she comes from Zeigler's surgery after having been examined by a nurse. His wife says that everything is fine.

As they are walking home, the couple meet Janice and Edward Hylton. Edith greets Janice by name, but the woman denies knowing her. Edith reminds her that they met at Dr Zeigler's, but Janice says she's mistaken. Edith starts to say "But you were …" but stops when she realises something is wrong. She apologises and says she must have mistaken her for someone else, and she and Milner move on.

Hylton questions Janice about the encounter. His wife is adamant that she does not know Edith, but Hylton points out flatly that Edith knew her name. Janice says she has errands to run, and suggests Hylton goes home. As she leaves him, he watches her with a very sour expression.

In the museum, the assistant curator walks along a corridor on the upper floor, stopping briefly near the meeting room.

As the meeting draws to a close, Longmate excuses himself, saying that he has to organise the victory party. He says the whole town is invited, and promises enough liquor for everyone. Kiefer reminds him that it's not to be sold until Victory night, and looking at Griffiths, he adds "We wouldn't want to be sending out the wrong signals."
Foyle notices the look.

Longmate goes to the door.

As Sam stops the Wolseley outside the museum, Janice Hylton walks past to the building.

As the meeting breaks up, Zeigler asks to speak to Foyle privately at the police station that afternoon. Kiefer says he's tired and needs some shut-eye, and leaves for his hotel. Griffiths remains seated, his head in his hands. Dr Zeigler inquires if he's all right, and he says he is, but he doesn't look it.

From a display case somewhere in the museum, someone takes a large knife.

Kiefer leaves the museum just ahead of Foyle. When the DCS emerges from the building, he is surprised to find Sam waiting for him, because it is Saturday, but he is grateful for the transport. As he gets into the Wolseley, Janice Hylton walks past.

Zeigler is next to leave the building. Griffiths isn't far behind. He's lost in thought and doesn't respond when the curator wishes him good day.

As Zeigler walks home down a narrow alleyway, he meets someone coming the other way, and smiles in recognition.

The day is sunny and the buildings in Hastings are strung with celebratory red, white and blue bunting. Sgt Brooks, off duty and not in uniform, is walking along the street when he sees two boys coming towards him pushing a wheelbarrow. In the barrow, they've got an effigy of Adolph Hitler, and Brookie challenges them as to what they're doing with it. When they tell him that they're going to burn it, he responds "Good lads! and happily walks on.
Turning a corner, he sees a street vendor with a display of Union Flags and bunting on a table. He is about to buy two flags, but becomes very angry when told the price - very small ones five shillings, larger ones two pounds. He says angrily that people died for the flag, and accuses the seller of profiteering.
The seller is not concerned. "What you gonna do then - arrest me?"
The man is not so smug when Brooke replies "Yeah, that's exactly what I'm gonna do!" and shows his warrant card.
With a cry of "Oh, bloody hell!" the vendor up-ends his table, tipping the contents over Brooke, and runs off with the sergeant in hot pursuit.

After quite a chase, the fugitive darts down an alley and immediately encounters another man stumbling drunkedly towards him. He narrowly misses him, and runs on, but Brooke can't avoid a collision. The seemingly drunken man slumps against the wall, groaning. It is Henry Zeigler, and Brooke's hand becomes covered in blood as he tries to stop the doctor falling to the ground.

As Kiefer leaves his hotel, Sam, in civvies, arrives for her dinner with Longmate. Over the meal in the hotel restaurant the aspiring politician tells her that he inherited the hotel when his wife died during the London bombing at the start of the war. He says he wants an assistant who will stay close to him and be someone he can trust, and Sam comments that it's not exactly what he said in his advertisement.
Longmate asks about her previous work, and when she mentions driving for DCS Foyle, says he knows him.

Janice Hylton enters the restaurant and approaches her employer, saying she needs to speak to him. He looks discomforted by her arrival, and tells her that it is a private dinner and that he can't talk now.
Janice looks pointedly at Sam, saying angrily to Longmate that she knows exactly what he's doing. Ignoring the other diners, she insists loudly that she must speak to him.
Turning his attention back to Sam, Longmate explains that Janice is his present secretary "who, as you can see, is a little distraught..." He then goes on to say that he doesn't think Sam would be right for the post, and, apologising, walks out of the restaurant with Janice.
Sam sighs and finishes her glass of wine.

Sunday, 6th May

In 31 Steep Lane, Foyle is getting ready to leave the house, and Andrew expresses surprise that he's having to go to work. Foyle explains that a doctor called Zeigler has been murdered. He says the man is Austrian "but as English as you and me."
Andrew, chuckling, says, "Poor Dad, it could only happen to you."
His father dons his overcoat. "What do you mean?"
"The whole country preparing for a giant knees-up and once again you're stuck with the body in the library."
Foyle takes a bite out of a piece of toast he's taken from the breakfast table, grabs his trilby, and as he leaves, says dryly, "It was in the museum."

When Foyle enters the police station he finds it festooned with Union flags and colourful bunting. Brooke tells him that they were "an absolute steal" and says they're getting ready for the big announcement.

Foyle asks if Zeigler had spoken to him. Brooke replies, "Not a word, I'm afraid, sir. Just my luck, really. If he'd said who stuck the knife in, we could have all gone home.

Foyle apologises to Milner for calling him in on a Sunday. The sergeant tells his boss that he knew Zeigler. Consulting a file, he says the man was unmarried, and had come down to Hastings from London the previous year.

Foyle reports that the last conversation he had with him was about him wanting to see him, and the two men wonder if the doctor was killed because of what he wanted to talk to Foyle about. Milner also wonders if the name might have been taken to be German. About the murder weapon, he says it hasn't been found, but it was something with a long, curved blade.

There is a tap at the door and when the caller is invited to enter, Sam bursts in.
"Is it true that someone's been murdered?"
Foyle gives a knowing look and says, "Perhaps."
Sam is excited. "I'll get the car!"

Foyle and Milner go to the museum and are led upstairs by Brown. The curator grumbles crossly at being dragged into work on a Sunday, and Foyle says dryly "Yeah, it's so inconvenient to get yourself murdered on a weekend, isn't it." He comments that Brown didn't much care for Dr Zeigler, and reminds him that he said Germans should be wiped off the face of the earth. Brown takes it as an accusation, and is shocked.

Foyle notices that one of the items is missing from a display case containing knives, and that the case is not locked.

In response to the DCS's questions, Brown says that he was at the door when the meeting broke up, and that Kiefer was the first one to leave. He says he then went along the corridor to "answer a call of nature" and that the next person he saw was Griffiths. He didn't see the substitute secretary leave.

On their way out of the building, Foyle and Milner agree that the use of a knife taken from the museum would indicate that the murderer was one of the committee members. Milner says that Zeigler's appointment book showed that the doctor had seen Griffiths on Friday, and that the notes listed blood pressure and stress, and a prescription for sleeping pills.

Foyle and Milner go to Griffiths home. They find ambulance men carrying out the body of Mark Griffiths, and are told that he committed suicide with an overdose of sleeping pills. Foyle asks who authorised removal of the body, but the ambulance men don't know.

Eunice Griffiths confirms that a note she found on the kitchen table was written by her son. Milner reads it out to Foyle: "It wasn't me. I wasn't responsible. I'm sorry, I can't live with this."

Eunice says she doesn't know to what her son was referring. She says that her son hadn't been the same since his return from duty with the Royal Signal Corps in the west country, and tells of his receipt of the envelope full of sand, and the picture of the tiger pinned to the door. She says her son believed that he was being watched.

In their home, Hylton tells his wife that he turned up for the doctor's appointment but the man wasn't there.
Angrily, he demands to know about Edith. When Janice again denies knowing her, Hylton shouts that she's lying, and strikes her across the face. He immediately apologises.

Sam is on duty at SSAFA and is not pleased when Andrew walks in. As though a serviceman looking for advice, he says that he already has his twelve pounds and his demob suit but that he has a problem and needs someone to talk to.

Sam is cool with him but not dismissive. They sit down at a table and Andrew explains his 'problem': "I was in Hastings for a while. My squadron was only a couple of miles away. And while I was there, I sort of fell in love. Well, no 'sort of' about it. I met this girl and the two of us walked out for a time. And then I got sent up to this training centre and I was promoted to Squadron Leader. But I hated it there and the fact is I must have been a little bit out of my mind, because I behaved like a complete cad. I broke it off with this girl. I didn't even have the nerve to tell her face-to-face. I wrote her a letter and told her that I'd met someone else, even though I knew the someone else wasn't a patch on her, and of course it didn't last very long.
And since then there hasn't been a day when I haven't regretted what I did and wished I could somehow undo it, and take back the hurt I know I must have caused. And that's why I'm asking your advice, you see, because I'm still looking for a way."

"I'm not sure there is a way, Andrew."
"But if I saw her and told her what a fool I was, and begged her on my knees to consider?"
"I don't think that she's the sort of girl who'd like begging."
"Do you think she'd at least consider?"
"Consider what?"
"Well, just seeing me, spending time together, just being friends."
"Well, you'd have to look in the leaflets - see what they advise."
"You don't have a leaflet about love."
"No, but I've quite a few on desertion."

After a short silence, Andrew says, "Yes, well, thank you, anyway, and stands up. "You know, Sam, in all this time you've hardly changed at all."
"Really?"
"But I have."

Sam says nothing as the downhearted Andrew leaves.

Monday, 7th May 1945

Sam and Milner have called to collect Foyle from his home on Steep Lane. As the Wolseley pulls away, a boy outside the house studies the front page of a copy of the Evening News, which declares:
    GERMANY SURRENDERS
    Eisenhower's H.Q. Announces The News Officially
    ALL BRITAIN AWAITS BROADCAST BY MR. CHURCHILL

As Foyle and Milner arrive at the Majestic, Sam tells of her interview with Longmate. When she says she didn't think she'd got the job, Foyle says it's probably for the best right now.

In the lobby of the hotel, the policemen meet Kiefer on his way out. The American tells him that he's got his eighty-five points which earns him a ticket on the Aquatania heading back to New York. Foyle says he's not sure that's going to be possible, and tells him that Griffiths is dead. Kiefer is surprised at the news.
The men sit down in a quiet part of the lobby to talk. When Kiefer learns how and when the Councillor died, he asks Foyle why the man would have committed suicide. Foyle replies that he thought the Major might be able to tell him. Kiefer suggests that, as Griffiths and Zeigler died on the same day, perhaps Griffiths killed the doctor then regretted it and took his own life.

Foyle's tells him about the note that Griffiths left, in which he'd written "It wasn't me. I wasn't responsible." Kiefer sees that as a confession. He says he didn't know the man before the committee was formed, and Foyle remarks that for someone the Major had never met, he seemed to have quite an effect on him. Kiefer says that he was a boring head of a boring committee.

Foyle asks Kiefer how he came to be on the committee. Kiefer says he volunteered and that he was just killing time after his return from Devon. When Foyle asks what he was doing in Devon, Kiefer becomes annoyed and asks why the third degree. He prepares to leave, but Foyle says he can't let him go.
Kiefer challenges him. "You think you can stop me? I have a wife. I have two sons that I haven't seen in over three years."
Foyle shakes his head. "I'm sorry."
"I thought we were friends, Christopher."
"Well, so did I."

As the conversation ends, Janice Hylton informs Foyle that Longmate is ready to see him.

Foyle and Milner go to the hotelier's office. Janice Hylton stays after seeing them in, but, when the DCS indicates with a look that he wishes to speak in private, she leaves.

In response to Foyle's questions, Longmate says that he first met Dr Zeigler at the committee and was never a patient of his. Foyle reminds him that he had told Zeigler that a problem with his eyes exempted him from active service, and asks what it is, as he doesn't wear glasses and had no problem reading at the meeting.
Longmate admits having lied and that the real reason was angina. When he explains that people would be unlikely to vote for someone with a weak heart, Foyle asks, pointedly, if he thinks they'd sooner vote for someone who lies.
Longmate says the next election may be tougher than anyone thinks and he just doesn't want to give his opponents any ammunition. He says he's well enough to stand for Parliament, and that he wants to serve his country and is not going to let the chance pass him by.

On the way out of the hotel, Milner tells Foyle that the woman in Longmate's office was a patient of Dr Zeigler. Foyle asks if he knows what she was being treated for.
Milner replies, "No, but I have a pretty good idea."

Back at the station, Sam is with Foyle and Milner in the DCS's office.
Milner reports that he could find no information about Griffiths' military service because it was hush-hush, but that the man had indeed been in the west country, and Foyle notes "As was Kiefer."

Changing the subject, he asks his sergeant if the expected letter regarding his promotion has arrived. Milner says that there's still no news, and, as Foyle prepares to go out, asks permission to speak with Janice Hylton while he's away. Foyle gives it.
Sam asks where he's going, and, donning his overcoat, her boss replies, "London. You're about to run me to the station."
Sam asks, "Can I ask why you're going to London, sir?"
Foyle replies that of course she can, and leaves it at that.

Three o'clock that afternoon, in London.

Foyle meets with Hilda Pierce in a park where there are very few people around. Hilda says that she was very surprised to get his call, and asks how things are in Hastings. Foyle says that, as in London, people are just waiting.
They sit together on a park bench. Hilda discloses that Churchill and Stalin are negotiating the exact moment to announce the end of the war, but says she can tell the DCS that there will be an announcement on the wireless that evening. "The Ministry of Information is going to announce that there'll be an announcement tomorrow. In other words, the announcement of the announcement. It's good to see the spirit of Colonel Blimp still alive and well!"

She comments that Foyle wanting her help makes a pleasant change, and he says that as she was so very unhelpful on two separate occasions during the course of the war, he thought he'd give her the opportunity to make up for it.
Hilda smiles and says, "Point taken."
Foyle explains that he needs information about something that happened in the west of England, perhaps Devon, last year or this, involving the Americans, perhaps on a beach, and he gives the name Mark Griffiths of the Royal Signals.

Hilda agrees to meet Foyle in Kingly Street in Whitehall at five o'clock. She comments that people everywhere are celebrating the end of the war while she and Foyle are still stuck in the shadows.
Foyle says, "I thought you liked the shadows."

Back in Hastings, Milner speaks with Janice Hylton in her home while her husband is asleep upstairs.
He says that when she met Edith in Zeigler's surgery she was heavily pregnant, and he asks about the baby. Janice says the child is being looked after by her mother and that her husband doesn't know about it but does suspect that something isn't right. She fears that if she tells him, he'll kill her.

Milner asks Janice if the reason she went to the museum was to see Dr Zeigler. She replies that it was to see Longmate, and admits that the hotelier is the father of her child and was going to make arrangements for an adoption. She says she bitterly regrets what has happened and that she loves her husband, and doesn't want to lose him.
She explains that when her husband mentioned he was seeing the doctor, she panicked and went to see Longmate at the museum, but he'd already left.

Milner tells Janice that he now has everything he needs to know, and he leaves. After he's gone, Hylton walks into the room and says calmly that he heard everything. Janice is in tears. He takes her hand, tenderly.

In Whitehall, Foyle keeps his appointment with Hilda Pierce.
She remarks that he likes to inhabit dangerous territory but warns that this time even he should tread carefully. "I stuck my neck out for you and I have to say I felt a very cold breeze indeed."
She tells him that an exercise called Operation Tiger took place on Slapton Sands in Devon, but that the official verdict is that nothing happened there. Handing Foyle an envelope, she warns "You never spoke to me, I never gave you this, and it would be better if nobody ever found out you knew anything about it … Just remember, a war always hides a great many dirty secrets. This has been a long war, and this secret's very dirty indeed."

Back at the police station in Hastings, Milner tells Foyle about his conversation with Janice.

As the two men walk through the lobby, they find Sgt Brooke and several constables enjoying the comic strip "Jane" in the Daily Mirror newspaper. Foyle has seen it and remarks that they've probably noticed that she hasn't a stitch on today. Brooke cheerfully says that he supposes it's to mark the end of the war.

Brooke tells his boss that he and the lads are going to Wildham Road to take a look at their new HQ, and Foyle says they should.

As they are leaving, Edith Milner comes in and gives her husband an envelope. He reads the contents and announces triumphantly, "I've got it!"

He thanks Foyle, and as Foyle congratulates him, Edith, calling out in pain, goes into labour.

Brooke has left and Sam is at SSAFA, so there's no one to take Edith to the hospital. Foyle tries telephoning the hospital but can't get through, so makes a decision. He takes a car key from the key case on the wall and drives Edith and Milner to the hospital himself.

Tuesday, 8th May 1945

In the Majestic, Foyle asks Kiefer about Operation Tiger. The Major explains … It was a training exercise at Slapton Sands on 28th April 1944 for the landings at Utah Beach. He had been transferred to the Amphibious Truck Company, working on floating harbours and tank landing ships. One night, right in the middle of an exercise, nine German e-boats came out of nowhere and fired on the fleet of LSTs, killing 749 soldiers and sailors. Warning of the Germans approach wasn't received because a typing error, just a couple of misplaced numbers, had resulted in the wrong radio frequency being sent out, so no one on the LST's heard anything. It was all hushed up for the sake of morale.

Kiefer says that it had taken him a year to find out that the man responsible was Griffiths, who had been a major with the Royal Signals Corps Allied Liaison.
Foyle says flatly, "He did the right thing then, killing himself."
Kiefer immediately replies with great emotion, "No! You don't understand. I see those kids. Every night I see them. I can't get them out of my head. I just wanted him to accept responsibility, that's all. I thought that if he did that, that maybe I could make sense of it."

Foyle points out that a number of things could have contributed to the tragedy - the changing of radio frequencies, the Germans noticing increased radio traffic, the corvette escort not showing up and the LSTs being in the wrong formation. "Whatever you think, it wasn't one man's mistake."

Kiefer replies that Griffiths was in charge and at the end of it he was just shipped out. Foyle asks if it was worth hounding him to death. Kiefer says he doesn't know what he wanted, but that he hadn't wanted Griffiths to die.

Foyle tells the American that from the law's point of view there's no case against him, so he's free to go. In response to the iciness of Foyle's tone, Kiefer remarks "Funny thing about war, Christopher, people change. Or are the only one who remained above it all?"

Without making any response, Foyle walks out.

Sam has met with Andrew on the sea front. As they sit in the car watching the sea from behind the protective fencing strung with barbed wire, she tells him that she doesn't know what she's going to do after the war.
Andrews says he'll stay in Hastings and spend some time with his father. He says he can't fly again because sinusitis ruined his eyesight. He asks how he can work in an office after what he's done during the war years. Sam suggests that, as he used to write poetry, he could be a writer,

Andrew says he wrote a poem called All Clear before he left Malta. Sam prompts him to recite it, and he does ...

They've sounded out the last 'all clear'
    And told us, those who made it here,
    That very soon we'll hold once more
    Those things that we held dear,
    Though nothing's clear to me.
    I gaze from darkness to a summer haze
    and, though they part,
    the clouds of war lead only to uncertain days.
Sam remarks that it's very sad if he really thinks that way.
Andrew apologises, saying that he's beginning to sound like an old man. He suddenly turns to her and says, "Sam, why don't we get married?"
Sam is taken by surprise, and replies that she said she'd be his friend and see him again but that was all and that it was unfair to ask for more, especially in so unromantic a fashion.
Andrew says that he's going to work on her until she changes her mind about him and forgives him for being such a bloody fool.
"And you will marry me."
"Oh, yes?"
"If only because you'd secretly love to have my dad as your father-in-law."

They laugh and then head for a pub.

Foyle speaks with Longmate in his hotel office. Longmate invites him to sit down. Foyle declines but suggests that the other man should, because with a heart condition like his he can't be too careful.

He asks Longmate who had examined him at his military service medical. Longmate replies that he doesn't remember. Foyle produces a letter confirming the appointment, which was signed by Dr Zeigler. Longmate insists that he doesn't remember who the doctor was. Foyle says that that's because the man Zeigler examined wasn't him but someone he'd paid £150 to take his place "who does have angina and who had a very nice line in acquiring exemption certificates for those interested in avoiding military service, until his arrest the other day."

Foyle says "Life, eh? Almost the end of the war and you run into the very last person in England you want to see."
Longmate says that he panicked when he heard Zeigler make the appointment to see Foyle, and so decided to get rid of the doctor before he could say anything. It was he who had taken the knife from the display case.

Asked how he knew, Foyle explains that Longmate was the first out of the committee room but that, according to Brown, Kiefer was the first out of the building. He goes on to say that it was all unnecessary, because all that Zeigler wanted to see him about was Griffiths, about whom he was concerned.

Longmate is rendered speechless. As Foyle reaches for his hat, he says to the election candidate, "Having evaded the draft, murdered a member of the medical profession, tried to avoid detection to feather your own nest, I'd have said you were a born politician. But, the Law being what it is, hanging is perhaps the very best way you can serve your country."

In the police station, Brooke pours French champagne for everyone to celebrate the birth of Milner's baby. Milner is relieved that it's a girl. When Sam says "Goodbye to Winston Milner" Milner adds that Edith wants to call her Clementine after Mrs Churchill.

Foyle asks where Brooke got the champagne. The sergeant explains innocently that it was in the evidence room but that somehow the label had come adrift so it couldn't be placed. Foyle turns a blind eye.

A radio is playing, and as they all clink their glasses, a constable turns up the volume so that they can hear the broadcast announcement …

"Yesterday morning, at 2.41am, at General Eisenhower's headquarters, General Jodl, the representative of the German High Command and of Grand Admiral Doenitz, the designated head of the German State, signed the act of unconditional surrender of all German land, sea and air forces in Europe to the Allied Expeditionary Force."

Sam says "It's over! I can't believe it."
Milner says that he must get back to his family. Foyle shakes his hand and wishes him good luck.
Brooke tells Foyle that he promised the lads that they could join in the celebrations. Foyle says to go ahead, and they leave the station.

Left alone with her boss, Sam tells him that she'd heard that he'd driven the Milners to the hospital. Foyle admits that he had.
"But I thought you couldn't drive. Are you telling me that all these years …?"
"Well, I've never actually ever at any time said I couldn't drive. I mean, I just preferred not to."
"So, you never really needed me."
Foyle takes a breath and pauses before replying, "I wouldn't say that."

Andrew bursts into the station, saying all hell is breaking loose outside, and suggesting that they join in. Sam says she will, and Andrew suggests that she might have a dance with him.
Sam replies "I'll dance with anybody …" adding after a pause "but especially with you."
Foyle grins.

Andrew asks his dad if he's going, too. Foyle says he'll catch him up, and tells the two to go.

On the sea front, Kiefer stands on the harbour arm, staring out across the sea.

In his station office, Foyle takes his overcoat from the peg on the wall. He dons it, takes down his hat and looks thoughtfully around the room, which is now empty, everything having been transferred to the new location.

The DCS then puts on his trilby and walks out, closing the office door behind him for the last time.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Return to Series 6