FW2-3 War Games

Detailed summaries. Some to be revised.

FW2-3 War Games

Postby Lynnedean » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:22 pm

FW2-3 War Games (detailed summary in process of revision)

October 1940

Sir Reginald Walker enters the head office of his company, Empire & European Foods, and makes his way to the 18th floor. In the Chair of a special board meeting, he tells the members that the minutes will be deposited with the company's solicitors as there may come a time after the war when there will be a need to demonstrate that there was a consensus on the company's European operations. Only selected members are in attendance, those "in tune" with Sir Reginald's thinking, and the business to be discussed is to be kept secret. Philby, one of the directors, looks distinctly uncomfortable.

Sir Reginald's son Simon has just returned from Switzerland. He says that he has brought home a letter "and unlike the one Mr Chamberlain brought from Munich, this one is worth the paper it's written on." He shows the letter, which confirms an agreement that will make Empire & European Foods the largest processor of non-mineral fats and oils in Europe, both during and after the war. "It doesn't even matter who wins – we can't lose." The members of the meeting all applaud, but Philby does so with a concerned look upon his face. The secretary Agnes Browne, too, looks troubled.

Immediately after the meeting, Agnes Browne goes hurriedly to her office and makes a telephone call to Hastings 1456. She keeps her voice low: "This is Agnes. I can't talk, but he came back from Switzerland this morning and it's just like you said. He's brought back a letter and I think I can get it, but we'll have to be quick. Tonight. At eight o'clock. The usual place." She replaces the receiver, and as she turns she realises to her horror that, through the glass office door, a man has been watching her. She is next seen plummeting from an 18th storey window to the street below.

DCS Foyle listens in court to his sergeant giving evidence in a case of murder which the defence claims to have been suicide. The case is to continue next day.

As the pair leave the courtroom, Milner concludes that the defence counsel Stephen Beck made a fool of him, but Foyle disagrees. As they descend the stairs, they are met by Beck, and Milner is surprised to discover that the man, who is German, and his boss are friends. Foyle and Beck arrange to go fishing at the weekend.

Police Sergeant Rivers is attending to four small children at the station desk when Foyle, Milner and Sam arrive. The children are collecting recyclable materials for the war effort. Foyle apologises for having again forgotten to bring his newspapers in for them.. One of the boys reminds him that one envelope makes fifty cartridge wads, and another, after Rivers refuses to allow him to take the metal fire bucket hanging on the wall, says that they need more salvage because there's a prize of chocolate to be won. They leave, having arranged to return the next day. Foyle says it's the second salvage collection he's missed. "They've got me down as a fifth columnist!"

Sgt Rivers hands his boss a letter that he says is from Brigadier Harcourt of the Home Guard Liaison Committee. Foyle looks at it and obviously isn't thrilled by the contents. "Oh dear, I've been roped into some sort of exercise …" He has been appointed to act as a referee in forthcoming war games to be held in the woods around Hastings for the purposes of training the Home Guard, and in which the regular army will participate. He tells Milner that it means he won't be in court for the second day of the trial, but says he's sure he'll manage.

Next morning.
Lucy Markham and her brother Harry live work on Greenwood Farm on land rented from Sir Reginald Walker. After tending to a number of beehives on the farm, Lucy goes into the kitchen of the farmhouse and tells her brother that at least there's honey for breakfast. Harry is opening post and says there's another letter from the bank. When Lucy tells him to put it with the others, he says they can't just keep ignoring them. He opens another letter and tells her that it's from the CWAEC, the War Agricultural Committee, and that it's a ploughing up order for the top field. His sister reminds him that they were told it would happen. Harry is despondent. He says that there must be easier ways to earn a living, and Lucy immediately warns him not to go back to his old ways: "If anything killed dad, it was that – you going to prison." Harry says that what killed their father was pneumonia caused by his having to cut kale at six in the morning in freezing weather.

Foyle attends a war games briefing chaired by the somewhat pompous Home Guard CO Brigadier Harcourt. Philby is a Home Guard officer and is present at the briefing. Harcourt tells the small meeting that Philby will be acting as second in command during the exercise and that he is also the main liaison with Sir Reginald Walker. Philby explains to Foyle that part of the exercise will be taking place on the Walker estate, and that he is a director of Empire & European Foods.

The brigadier is displeased when Foyle questions the way in which the exercises are to proceed, and slaps him down. "You're here as a referee, Mr Foyle. I think you can leave the military planning to me."

The leader of the regular army contingent, Captain Jack Devlin, arrives. He is already known to the DCS, as he was Foyle's sergeant before joining up. On seeing Foyle, Devlin hesitates but then greets his old boss with a handshake. Harcourt asks if the two know each other, to which Foyle responds ambiguously, "We've met."

Later, as they leave the building, Devlin and Foyle talk. Devlin explains that he was shipped back from France after "catching a bit of shrapnel" but should be rejoining his unit soon. He asks if Foyle was given a new sergeant, and enquires about Andrew. He comments, "They didn't let you transfer then? I heard a rumour that you were going to work with General Ismay."
"No, it didn't work out."
"You're damn good at your job."
"Well, if that's the case, what am I still doing here, I wonder."

Stephen Beck sits in his car parked near the entrance to Greenwood Farm. He waits until Lucy leaves the farm, and then he approaches Harry, who is working in the barn. When Markham had been in trouble with the police, Beck had acted as his defence counsel and had succeeded in securing a greatly reduced sentence at the trial. Now he requests a favour in return: the theft of something from Greenwood Hall, the home of Sir Reginald Walker.

Markham is shocked and very reluctant, but Beck stresses that the item is very important. Markham asks if there's a safe. Beck says that there is, a big one, American, and Markham shakes his head, saying "They'll know it was me." Beck says that the crime won't even be reported, but he won't give the reason. He tells the young man that there isn't much time to think about it, because he'll be leaving England soon. He hands over a piece of paper with his telephone number on it. "Call me!"

As Lucy returns home, she sees a car driving away from the farm, and, on entering the house, notices her brother putting the piece of paper inside a notebook. She asks who the caller was, and is told that it was someone asking for directions because they were lost.

Sir Reginald Walker's second wife Alice finds her stepson Simon locking the door of the cellar in Greenwood Hall, the manor house that is their home. When she asks why, he explains that there are valuable vintage wines stored there. She doesn't look convinced.

That night, Markham breaks into Greenwood Hall after drugging the two guard dogs, and cracks open the safe. Mrs Walker's sleep is disturbed by the sound, and she awakens her husband, telling him that she thinks there is an intruder downstairs.

Markham looks briefly at a letter written in German that he finds in the safe, then replaces it and takes what he has come for: a gold box with ornate carvings. Hearing someone coming, he makes his escape out of the building and back across the grounds. Simon emerges from the house with a shotgun, and fires both barrels at him. He is wounded in the shoulder but manages to climb over the wall. As he drops down onto the grass verge and runs down the road, he is seen by someone on a motorbike.

Next morning as Sam drives Foyle and Milner to Greenwood Hall, Milner says the break-in was reported by a warden on his way home who heard a shot and saw someone climb over the wall, but that it had not been reported by the householder. Interviewed about the incident, the Walkers explain that they didn't want to bother the police who already had enough to do, and that there was nothing taken because the intruder was chased off . It is noted that the safe has a lever tumbler lock with over ten million combinations. Simon Walker appears to be taking the whole matter lightly. He grins as he says he thinks Foyle is looking for a real professional, and asks if any known felons come to mind. Foyle ignores the question and asks about the gunshots. Simon admits to firing a shotgun, but only into the air as a warning.

Outside the house, Foyle comments to Milner, "I've never met anyone quite so cheerful about being burgled." He says Harry Markham could break such a safe and that the man came out of prison two months ago; it was Devlin's last arrest before he joined up.

Inside the house, Walker tells his son that the culprit must be found and to contact someone he knows within the police force. Mrs Walker does not understand why her husband did not report the break-in; she is not aware that something was taken.

Lucy discovers that her brother has been house-breaking again when she sees the shotgun pellets in his shoulder. Harry tells her he was doing someone a favour and that he was not going to steal anything for himself but had found something worth a fortune that would give them a new life. Lucy is upset, saying that they have a life on the farm. As she sets about treating Harry's wounds, she asks what it was that he took, but he won't not tell her, so she asks where it is, and he says that he's got some friends looking after it. When she queries "What friends?" he says that they're busy ones and that he can trust them. Lucy says he just talks a lot of nonsense, and tells him that if he goes back to thieving, she'll throw him out.

That evening, Beck and Foyle are angling on the edge of the river. Foyle comments on the fish not feeding, and asks his friend what fly he's using. When Beck replies that it's a medium olive nymph, Foyle immediately asks if he has been reading Skues. Beck replies thoughtfully, "'The Way of the Trout With the Fly': my wife bought me that on our first wedding anniversary."
"You were still in Germany then, weren't you?"
"Yes, we had to send all the way to London for it. We didn't leave until 1935." With a look of distaste, he adds "We saw what was coming."

Beck comments that he sometimes thinks that angling is the greatest waste of time anyone ever invented. Foyle grins and agrees. Calling it a day, he asks "Pint?"
Beck responds, "A pint, the fishing, the evening light. They are things about his country I would always miss if I had to leave."
Foyle is thoughtful about the way he says it.

Next morning, Markham goes to the court to see Beck. He tells him that he took nothing from Greenwood Hall because he heard someone coming down the stairs and had to get out fast. He says he didn't have time even to open the safe. Beck does not believe it and threatens him: "You don't know me. You don't know anything about me, the people I work with, what I am capable of." He grabs Markham's jacket lapel and looks closely directly into his eyes. When Markham continues to deny that he took anything from the house, he says menacingly "I'll give you a little time, Markham. We'll meet again, and if I were you I would think very carefully." With that, he walks away

Sam calls into Foyle's office to report that there has been another break-in and ask him to have a word with the culprits who are at the front desk. Two of the children who had been collecting paper have been caught breaking into their school to hunt for salvage. They know exactly what items can be reused for the war effort. One of the boys informs Foyle that a single chop-bone can provide enough cordite for two cartridges. Foyle tells them that their little group should stick to collecting paper only from now on, and that perhaps they need a new commanding officer to keep them out of trouble. He says to Sam, "Captain Stewart, you've just been promoted. Keep an eye on 'em!" and walks off before she can protest.

Milner goes to Greenwood Farm to find Harry, but his wife tells him that he is in the Home Guard and involved in the exercises shortly to take place. Milner spots a blood-stained shirt in an open waste-bin and Lucy explains that her husband cut his hand on a fence.

Connor and Clarke, two members of the Home Guard, talk in a pub about the incident at Greenwood Hall. Criminal associates of Markham, they assume him to have been responsible and they resent him working on their patch without them. They decide to sort him out during the war games.

The Walkers' police contact give them Markham's name as a local man capable of cracking their safe.

Beck plays the organ in the local church. He is there when approached by a Miss Pearce who tells him that he must leave in three days. He replies that he cannot leave yet because he is in the middle of something. She mentions the death of Walker's secretary, saying that she understands that Beck feels responsible, but he is disobeying orders.

Sam marches her four small charges, pushing their load of collected paper in a baby's pram, to where they can tuck into a reward of lemonade and buns. She joins them.

Captain Devlin calls at the police station to collect Foyle for the exercises. On the way, they discuss Harry Markham. Devlin is disgusted with the lightness of the three-month sentence Markham received. He is angry that some men commit crime while others fight for their country. "People like Markham should be shot."

In the hall where the war games are being organised, Harcourt tells Philby to assign men to keep the public away because there is live ammunition about. Simon Walker comes in and is seen by Foyle. Walker is surprised to see the DCS but approaches him as though having been looking for him. He mumbles something about realising that they should have reported the break-in and wanting to apologise for not having done so.

Out on the field, Connor and Clarke catch up with Markham. They want a share of what he took from the house and when he denies any theft, they attack him. Philby interrupts and orders them to join the others. As they do, Connor warns Markham to look out because it is very lonely in the woods and there is a lot of live ammunition around.

The exercises begin. Philby briefs his HG group and assigns Markham to guard duty in the lower wood.

There is tension between Walker and his wife who is unhappy to be in Hastings and feels that her husband and stepson are keeping things from her.

Philby notices that Connor and Clarke are no longer with his group, but assumes they are just trailing behind. He leads his men toward their position, but Devlin's regular soldiers appear, take them all prisoner and order them to remove their uniforms.

Back at the war games hall, the brigadier is in a froth about the field radio not working. He catches Foyle as he is about to leave. "Have to get a message over to HQ! I don't suppose you have any ideas, Foyle." With a look which is a mixture of innocence, mischief and revenge, Foyle replies, "I don't have ideas, brigadier. I'm only the referee!" and leaves Harcourt cramming his cap down on his head in frustration.

A short while later, Folye and Sam are walking to the Wolseley when they see the brigadier fuming about his old army truck refusing to start. Foyle offers him a lift. Harcourt responds with astonishment, "You've got a car?" Sam glances sideways at her boss and notes that he is hugely enjoying the moment. Gesturing towards the Wolseley, Foyle says triumphantly, "Follow me."

At his lonely outpost, Markham puts down his rifle to light a cigarette.

The Wolseley is stopped by a road block that has been set up by what looks like the HG group, but turns out to be regulars wearing HG uniforms. The CO is captured and blusteringly protests at Devlin's unorthodox methods. "This is not in the plan!"
Devlin replies with a huge grin, "Well, if Jerry does come, let's just hope he remembers to bring the plan with him. Right, sir?"
Harcourt appeals to the wrong man for help: "Foyle, you're the referee - tell him he can't do this!"
Foyle replies, "Er… looks as if he already has."

Devlin indicates a nearby pub and tells the brigadier that his incarceration won't be so bad, and Foyle, turning back to his car, says he's going to leave them to it. Harcourt tries to stop him. "Foyle – you can't leave!"
"Well, if I stayed, I'd only have to arrest you. This pub should have closed an hour ago, you know?"

Markham hears someone approaching. The group of HG members under guard hear a rifle shot. Philby cannot understand, as there should not be any shooting in that zone.

Another shot!

Philby pleads in vain with the guard to let him investigate.

A third shot!

Markham's blood splatters the wall of the shed behind him as a bullet goes straight through his brain and lodges in the wood.

Foyle and Milner examine the scene of the crime. There are powder burns on Markham's face, so the killer had to be very close, but how did he miss twice and where are the other two bullets?

Foyle questions Devlin about where he went after leaving the brigadier. He says that he had begun to walk over to Divisional HQ, but turned back when he heard about the incident.

Foyle goes to Greenwood Farm to speak to Lucy Markham. She admits that she knew Harry had broken into Greenwood Hall, but says she is sure that it was for someone else because a man had called to see Harry. She gives to Foyle the piece of paper she had seen her brother hiding. Foyle's expression indicates that what the paper contains means something to him. Lucy tells Foyle that Harry said the item he took was being looked after by friends and that when she had asked which friends, he had replied "Busy ones. And I can trust them." The only friends she can think of are Connor and Clarke.

When questioned by Milner, the two men claim never to have seen Markham once the exercises had begun and deny having anything to do with the break-in.

Philby registers disquiet with Sir Reginald Walker over the death of Harry Markham and also admits to being concerned about the agreement made in Switzerland. Walker tells him that he needs to get away from stress and assigns him to the company's New York office.

Foyle visits Stephen Beck in the barrister's office. He asks about Markham, having discovered that his friend saw the man on the day Greenwood Hall was broken into. Beck realises that Foyle knows him too well not to be able to see through any deception and so decides to tell him the truth. They go to the grounds of the local church to talk in more privacy.

In Germany, Beck had spoken out against the Nazis. He was denounced and left in fear for his life. In England, he is collecting information about businessmen who deal with the Nazis, in particular, Sir Reginald Walker. Germany has lost access to all sorts of food resources, edible oils and fats, essential to many production processes, are in short supply. Simon Walker had made a deal with an SS officer from the Reich's commissariat, contravening the "trading with the enemy" act. Evidence would be needed to bring Empire & European Foods to book. Markham had been sent to get the letter Simon Walker had brought back from Switzerland which was a trading agreement between Sir Reginald Walker and the Third Reich. Beck will not say how he knows about the letter. He does not know what Markham took from Greenwood Hall, but he believes that, whatever it was, he was killed to get it back.

Foyle visits Greenwood Hall to speak with Sir Reginald who says he cannot see how Markham's death has anything to do with him. Foyle says it could have a lot to do with him as it appears to have been Markham who broke into the house. The man had gunshot wounds in his shoulder which gave the lie to Simon's claim to have fired into the air that night. Walker is alarmed when reference is made to certain papers that may have been taken from the safe. He denies any theft. Rising from his chair, he says angrily, "Let me tell you something, Mr Foyle. You may be at war, but I am not, because business is bigger than war…" He goes on and then ends his little speech by saying, "War doesn't matter. You and I don't matter. Business will go on."
Foyle is singularly unimpressed. "Well, thank you for that fascinating insight." He asks where he can find Philby, and is told that the man is no longer available to be interviewed.

The four determined paper collectors are peering over the wall around Greenwood Hall. They have spotted a fire in the garden near the house and intend to salvage the paper being put out to be burnt. With a prize of chocolate for the biggest collection at stake, the three boys enter the property while the little girl keeps watch.

Inside the house father and son are piling up incriminating papers to be destroyed. Sir Reginald asks his son if he had anything to do with Markham's death. Simon replies that of course he hadn't, because Markham was needed alive to return the stolen box. Mrs Walker comes in to inquire what they are doing, but is told "Nothing!" Simon walks past her and out of the room, carrying a pile of papers out to the garden. When Simon returns to the house, the children begin to scavenge, but they are spotted by Mrs Walker. Walker orders his son to set the dogs on them. Mrs Walker is horrified, and a blazing row blows up between man and wife. Simon leaves the room, grinning.

The boys run when they see the dogs coming at them, but one of them, Tim, is bitten on the leg as he scrambles back over the wall.

Miss Pearce meets with Beck in the local library and tells him that she cannot give him any more time. Realising that he has failed to obtain the letter, Beck replies with regret that his business in England may well already be over, so he could go, but he asks Miss Pearce to promise that she will not give up on the Walker affair.
She asks, "There's a Detective Chief Superintendent Foyle working on the case?"
Beck replies, "Yes."
Miss Pearce smiles. "He won't give up."

Foyle is sorting through newspapers on his desk when Milner enters the office. The sergeant reports that there are ten minutes unaccounted for with regard to Devlin's movements before the shots were fired. The Captain could have made his way to Divisional HQ, but he could have doubled back. Foyle puts the papers to one side and opens a file. He hands Milner a newspaper cutting about the death of Agnes Browne and asks him to find out what he can.

While by herself in the Wolseley, Sam spots three of her small charges pushing the wounded boy in the pram they use to carry paper. They tell her what happened and, grimacing at the sight of Tim's wound, she asks if they have informed his parents. "No – if you think that's bad, you should see what his dad will do!" Sam takes the boy to hospital.

Next morning, at Greenwood Hall, Sir Reginald apologises to his wife for his earlier behaviour, but she remains angry.

Milner speaks with the father of Agnes Browne, who is a barrister in Hastings, and asks him about her death. Browne does not believe that it was an accident, but nothing could be proved. Milner learns that Stephen Beck was responsible for getting Agnes the job with Empire & European Foods.

Sam reports to work late and explains to her boss that she has been visiting Tim in hospital. She tells Foyle how the boy came to be hurt and when Foyle hears that Walker was "burning paper by the ton" he asks where the children took the paper they salvaged. Sam takes Foyle and Milner to an old farm building where the children are stashing yet another load. A boy called Brian informs Foyle that "Tim nearly lost his leg. It was eaten by a dog!" Foyle explains that they need to find one or two papers that were taken from the big house. Brian can't tell them exactly where they are, but takes them into the building and shows them all they have collected so far. "We're definitely going to win this prize!" Foyle surveys the mountain of paper with a pained look. "Right, let's get started!"

Simon Walker calls on Lucy Markham to see if she knows the whereabouts of the gold box. Simon first tries to buy information by promising to forget the money the Markham's owed to his father as their landlord. When that yields nothing, he threatens, saying that she could end up like Harry, but Lucy can tell him nothing.

At Greenwood Hall, Walker sees the cellar door open and goes to investigate. He finds Simon in one of the chambers which is filled with items associated with the Nazi Party. His father is angry that he left the door open, but Simon says that if he's worried about his new wife finding out what is down there, he needn't because she has left him. He tells his father that they should have spent longer in Germany. "People like us, people like who you used to be… we are the ones who will make the new England."

Foyle calls upon Beck at his office and is unhappy to find his friend packing to leave. "Is this what you wanted?" He hands Beck the incriminating letter. Beck is astonished and asks Foyle if he knows what is in it. Foyle admits that his German is not quite up to it and Beck reads: "As it is agreed, in return for full co-operation, the development of new food products, all property and assets previously seized will be returned to Empire & European Foods by the German Reich subsequent to… etc., etc., etc." He smiles. "How did you get this?" Foyle replies, "With difficulty!" Beck thanks his friend, hands the document back to him and continues with his packing.

Foyle returns the letter to his inside jacket pocket and says, "If I am to do my job, how can I let you leave? … You've instigated a burglary, which is against the law. The man you recruited to commit the burglary has been murdered …"
"You think I killed him?"
"Well, I think you're responsible for his death in much the same way as you're responsible for the death of Agnes Browne, the woman you put into Empire & European Foods. A of people seem to lose their lives in close proximity to you."
"I told you, I'm fighting a war."
"Which makes your behaviour ethically acceptable? The Nazis might claim the same."
"I do what I have to."

Foyle asks Beck to help him understand why he should not pay for all this in exactly the same way that anyone else might have to. The barrister says he will, and takes his friend into another room where he introduces him to a woman called Hilda Pearce, for whom he says he works.

He explains that she represents an organisation quite new to the country: overseas intelligence. The organisation is sending him back to Germany because he still has contact with communist and socialist groups, and his job will be to help form a resistance. It will be very unlikely that he will return, because agents such as himself do not last long. He says that Miss Pearce will deal with the letter.

There is one other thing that Beck wishes to tell: it was his own son who denounced him. There was an English boy that his son had met who was even more fanatical and anti-Semitic than the Nazis. His name was Simon Walker. "Now do you understand?" Foyle says nothing, but his silence is acceptance and he makes no move stop Beck when the man picks up his case. "You have been a good friend to me, Christopher. I will miss our fishing trips together… I will miss you!"

As Beck walks out the door, Foyle lays the letter down on a table in front of Miss Pearce. "Don't let him down."

Devlin comes to Foyle's office to tell his old boss that he is rejoining his unit. Foyle wishes him luck. When he says he wants to say sorry about Markham, Foyle asks if he is sorry the man is dead or sorry for what happened six months ago. Devlin is puzzled; he does not realise that Foyle knows. The DCS explains. Markham was found guilty of breaking and entering but the theft charge against him had to be dropped. The necklace that was submitted as primary evidence had to be withdrawn because it turned out to be Devlin who had taken it from the house Markham had broken into and planted in Markham's possession because he was so determined to see the man jailed. His actions had wrecked the case and Markham was almost set free. Devlin had perverted the course of justice and Markham might still be alive if it hadn't been for his unforgivable interference.

Devlin asks why, even though he was in France when the case came to court, Foyle had not told him what had happened. Foyle says he chose not to disclose the details to the court or to Devlin. Markham was guilty of theft despite the evidence, not because of it, and Devlin was fighting for his country, so it seemed to serve no purpose. Devlin says, "You could have had me charged... You still could."
"Yes." There is a long pause. "I think you should go, don't you?"
Devlin comes to attention, salutes and leaves.

Foyle and Milner are amongst the members of the congregation leaving the church at the close of Sunday morning service. Milner comments on Devlin being back with his unit and asks if he is still a suspect. Foyle replies, "No, I think we can safely rule him out of the picture… so your job's safe." He smiles. The vicar congratulates the four children on winning the salvage competition. Sam tells him that they had been busy little bees. Overhearing the remark, Foyle looks thoughtful.

Hilda Pearce catches up with him and gives him bad news: the letter didn't work. Although making huge profits out of the Nazis, Reginald Walker had persuaded the British government that he could use his contacts to their advantage. He passes on low-grade information and they turn a blind eye. He is trading with the enemy with the unofficial blessing of elements with the government. At the end of the day, a piece of paper just isn't enough.

Foyle thanks her for telling him, and she replies that it occurred to her that he might not want to give up. Again Foyle looks thoughtful.

At Greenwood farm, Foyle gets Lucy to inspect the beehive. She finds the gold box. Foyle explains that her brother told her where it was – with friends who were… he nods in the direction of the hives and Lucy exclaims, "Oh - busy bees!"

At Greenwood Hall, Lucy returns the box to the Walkers and assures them that she has told no one. She leaves and the two men congratulate themselves on now being in the clear. A footstep announces the arrival of DCS Foyle who explains that he has come to confirm that their property has been safely returned and to arrest Simon for the murders of Harry Markham and Agnes Browne. When he had come to the hall in which the war games were being organised, Simon had persuaded Philby to put Markham on guard duty on the estate so that he would know exactly where he was. He had not intended to kill the man, but, to persuade him to tell where the box was, he had played a game of Russian roulette with two blanks and one live cartridge. He had misjudged and Markham had been killed. Simon admits it. He says he does not care what happens to him because the business will go on and when the Germans win the war the Walkers will be remembered as heroes. He also admits that he murdered Agnes Browne because she was going to hand over the letter. Foyle nods to Milner who takes Simon away.

Sir Reginald is in shock. Foyle asks, "Where's your wife" and when Walker replies, "She's left me" comments, "Not much of a day for you is it? Your wife, your son… your business." Walker does not understand. Foyle asks him if he knows what the box is. Walker replies that it is solid gold and was a gift given to his company in recognition of successful trade relations. Foyle prompts him to admit that it was from the German Office For Trade and the theft of it had not been reported because it had been smuggled into the country. Foyle then tells Walker that the box originally belonged to a Jewish family. The whole family had been shot and their home looted by the Nazis. He asks Walker just how long he thinks he and his company will survive when it is generally known that he is a beneficiary of the Nazi reallocation of looted property. "There are one or two things bigger than business, wouldn't you say?" He starts to walk towards the door.
Walker asks, "Aren't you going to arrest me?"
Foyle pauses and half turns. "Well, on behalf of a very dear friend of mine… I'd say it was no longer necessary." He walks out.

Outside the front door, Milner is putting Simon into a prison van. Foyle walks from the house towards his car. When the sound of a pistol shot is heard from inside the house, his step does not falter or his expression change. Simon understands what has happened and shouts for his father, but is taken away.

Foyle nods to Sam as he climbs into the Wolseley, and the pair head back to the station.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Return to Series 2