FW2-2: Among the Few

Detailed summaries. Some to be revised.

FW2-2: Among the Few

Postby Lynnedean » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:21 am

FW2-2: Among the Few (detailed summary)

September 1940

Note: No reference is made to Sam having found new lodgings, but it is obvious that she is no longer staying with DCS Foyle. Andrew is spending more time at the house.

DCS Foyle emerges from a building in which he has been attending a committee meeting. He pauses to watch two Spitfires pass overhead, then descends the steps to where Sam is waiting beside the Wolseley. His driver asks him how the meeting went and he comments about briefings not being brief. Sam smiles. "Ready to go, then?"

"I was ready shortly after we got here, y'know."

The Spitfires fly out over the English Channel towards France. Foyle's son Andrew is one of the pilots.

In the car, Foyle complains about committee members taking too much time to make their reports. Sam tells him that she had an instructor at the MTC whom they called Chloroform because everyone fell asleep during his lectures. Foyle asks what the man taught, and when Sam replies that it was road safety, he turns his eyes from the road ahead to look at her thoughtfully. Returning his attention to the windscreen, he remarks, "Now you tell me!"

The car stops at a Home Guard roadblock and Foyle steps out to show his identification. As he is about to get back into the car, a truck loaded with barrels comes up behind it. The driver, spotting Foyle, swerves his truck around the Wolseley, smashes through the roadblock and speeds off down the road. Foyle quickly gets back into the car and Sam immediately drives after the truck. As the chase heats up, Foyle asks his driver "You up for this?" and Sam replies "You bet I am!"

Sam sounds the Wolseley's horn to tell the truck driver to pull over, but he begins firing a pistol from his window. His attention diverted, he is unprepared to take an approaching bend at speed, and his vehicle careers into a ditch, spilling its load. Sam halts the Wolseley, and Foyle climbs out just as the truck ferociously explodes in flame. The DCS instructs his driver to wait in the car, and for once she does what she's told, contenting herself with telling her boss to be careful. Foyle finds the charred body of the truck driver still at the wheel.

Milner attends the crash site and reports that the truck was owned by a man called Fred Pierce. Foyle had recognised the driver at the roadblock, as he had once arrested him for burglary and assault. He assumes that when Pierce saw him, he panicked because he was carrying a large load of petrol. Sam describes to the sergeant what happened: "It went up like the Crystal Palace, Milner."

The three puzzle over a number of questions. Why were barrels used instead of a metal tank? Petrol coupons for private cars and goods vehicles had showered down upon the road when the load exploded – were they stolen or forged? From where had the petrol come?

Foyle and Milner visit the Petroleum Board responsible for the regulation of petrol supplies. The department head tells them that in June the entire south coast was designated a "pink" area. He explains that in France the invaders were able to collect supplies of fuel easily, so in England the number of pump sites had been cut and stocks reduced. Bexhill was now the only fuel depot in the area. The general manager is a man called Michael Bennett. The depot's stock had dropped by 3% last month. It was said to have been due to a leaking underground tank, but it is recommended to Foyle that procedures at the depot be investigated.

Foyle believes an investigation would frighten off the culprits, and suggests instead that someone be planted in the depot to report on activities.

The two Spitfires return to base. Andrew and his friend Rex Talbot have been out on a reconnaissance flight, but had a scrap with a stray Messerschmitt. The two have an argument. Andrew claims that he saved Rex's bacon, while Rex claims that he would have downed the 109 if Andrew hadn't intervened unnecessarily.

A petrol tanker turns onto the airfield and Rex goes over to it, welcoming the driver, Connie Dewar, with a kiss. They confirm their date at the Flamingo Club the following evening and she tells him that she loves him.

Sam takes a cup of tea to her boss in his office. Milner joins them and reports to Foyle that Pierce was working for Frank Gannon, the owner of the Flamingo, who also has his own brewery. Sam asks if he is a racketeer, and Milner replies that he calls himself a businessman.

As Foyle mulls over some papers, Milner asks, "Who's it going to be, sir?" Intrigued, Sam asks what the problem is, and Foyle explains that, as they are short of men, he can't decide whom to put into the Bexhill fuel depot. Sam asks if it has to be a man, and suggests herself for the assignment, saying that she has driven heavy vehicles. Foyle attempts to reject her offer. "Well… thank you, but I don't…"

Sam interrupts with her reasons as to why she would be a good choice, and before Foyle can respond, Milner agrees that she has a point. Foyle opens his mouth to reply, but Sam doesn't give him the chance, enthusiastically insisting "I would be completely invisible, a sort of secret agent."

Realising that argument will get him nowhere, Foyle says with a pained look, "I… em… I'll think about it."

In the evening, in his home, Foyle talks with his son while nursing a glass of whisky. At first, Andrew seems quiet and when Foyle comments on it, he tells of the set-to with his friend Rex. "We were at school together. Do you remember?"

His father recalls, "Dark-haired lad. Had freckles. Played conkers?" (conkers: a children's game played with horse chestnuts)

Andrew tells his father that new recruits of different nationalities have increased the number of pilots. "They're good chaps, most of them. But not many flying hours."

"Whereas you're, er, you're an old hand."

"You don't see it! I'm an experienced pilot now."

Foyle is saddened, not impressed. "You're twenty-two."

"You sit there as if nothing's happened. It's not conkers any more. It's a different world. There's Rex, Douglas and myself, and we're the three oldest."

Sombrely, his father replies, "Well of course you are... you're the only ones left." He takes a drink of his whisky, knowing that even that will not take away the bitter taste of his thoughts.

In the morning Foyle sends Sam, in brown dungarees and beret, off on her spying assignment at the fuel depot. Sam says that she is grateful to him for giving her this chance, and he, fearful for her safety, replies, "And I just want to say, em… please don't let me regret it... And if you feel yourself at any time to be in any danger whatsoever, you just get out of there."

Sam arrives at the depot on her bicycle. The manager Michael Bennett checks her credentials and takes her to meet Connie Dewar with whom she is to work to learn the job.

Foyle and Milner, driven by a uniformed sergeant, visit the Flamingo to interview the owner. Gannon reacts with surprise to news of Pierce's death and again with surprise, though somewhat muted, when told that he was ferrying petrol. Milner asks if he has ever been offered petrol from illegal sources and he replies "Who hasn't? But I'm not going to pay six shillings a gallon." He says that he wouldn't touch it anyway because he is a patriot. Leaving the club, Foyle and Milner are in no doubt as to Gannon's involvement.

Shaun O'Halloran, who maintains the storage tanks at the petrol depot, receives a visitor (a man called Carter) at home who tells him that "We just want to be sure you're ready." O'Halloran replies that he is and shows his visitor a suitcase containing a home-made bomb.

As Sam bends to her task of washing the wheels of a tanker, Bennett stands near, watching and talking to her. She straightens up quickly when a man's voice calls her name. Andrew has arrived on a motorbike! He asks her if she remembers him, but before she can answer, Bennett says with surprise, "You two know each other?" With a big smile Andrew replies, "Yes!" Sam hurriedly interjects, "Yes, we stepped out together." Andrew's smile vanishes. "What?" Looking at him pointedly and giving a little nod of her head, willing him to pick up the signal, Sam continues, "When I was working at my uncle's removals firm."

Bennett is too intent on challenging Andrew's unauthorised presence at the depot to notice the moment of awkwardness. Andrew presents a requisition slip that he has brought and the manager, disgruntled, takes it to the office.

Sam explains to Foyle's son why she is there. A pretty blonde approaches Andrew with familiarity and he greets her with a kiss. He asks her if she wants to come dancing as he has a twelve-hour pass.

In the depot office, Bennett's wife, who works there, queries the requisition slip, saying that it is a big order and asking why it was brought by a pilot officer. Bennett tells her that it is nothing to do with her.

Sam reports back to Foyle. She says the procedures for meeting the requisition orders seem to be above board, and explains … Mrs B handles the paperwork and Mr B supervises the transfer of fuel, checking the figures against the petrol gauges on storage tanks and tankers. The drivers sign the ledger and the papers are kept in the office safe.

On a lighter note, she says that the other women are taking her to a club that night – the Flamingo. Foyle and Milner note the name with surprise, but make no comment.

As she is leaving, Sam gives Foyle another surprise by telling him about Andrew. When her boss asks what he was doing at the depot, she says that he didn't say, to which Foyle replies, "Oh. I'll ask him!"

Foyle takes Andrew and his friend Rex out for a meal. During the conversation, Rex says he is taking his girl out that night and asks Andrew if he and Violet are coming. Andrew lightly replies, "Yeah," hoping that the remark will be passed over, but his father picks up on it. "Violet?"

When Andrew explains that she is just a friend, Foyle asks if, by any chance, she works at the fuel depot. The look he gives his son is almost accusing, as though he believes that Andrew has deliberately been keeping the information from him. Andrew is discomforted, but before he can reply, Rex apologises for apparently speaking out of turn. Foyle looks down at his plate as he says, "No, no, no. No, not at all. There are no secrets between Andrew and me… are there, son?" The remark is pointed and Andrew feels the jab.

Sam is in the flat that Connie shares with Violet, and talks with the two women as they get ready for the dance. Connie says that Vi and Andrew are going to be married as soon as the war is over, a double wedding with Rex and herself. As she stands, she becomes dizzy. She says it's only tiredness, but Vi is concerned because she has been like this all week. Connie recovers quickly and hurries the others so as not to be late.

A group of pilots arrive at the Flamingo. Rex greets Connie with a kiss and tells her she looks ravishing and delightful. Vi asks Andrew why he never says things like that to her. He has no answer.

During the evening, Gannon walks in to check his club. He's not happy to see Rex and Connie dancing together.

Shaun O'Halloran is in the club, and introduces himself to Sam, who is standing at the bar. As she talks with him, she takes the opportunity to ask about the fuel loss at the depot. He wonders how she knows about it, and is obviously not convinced by her explanation… "Mr Bennett, I suppose." Sam asks the Irishman where he is from, but her questions bother him. "You seem to be interested in a lot of things."

Connie attempts to smooch with Rex, and she's puzzled when he looks uncomfortable and goes to get more drinks.

As Vi dances with Andrew she tells him that she has promised Connie the run of the flat that evening, and asks if they can go back to his house in Hastings. When he explains that he doesn't live alone, she suggests a hotel.

At the bar, O'Halloran tells Sam that when you work with fuel you can't get it out from under your skin and fingernails. He grabs her wrist, asking angrily why she doesn't have a tanker driver's hands. Andrew steps in and tells him that he's not wanted in the club. Douglas adds, "You, or your mates!" Another pilot snipes, "Bloody bog-dwellers!" A fight ensues, Andrew delivering the first punch. Rex throws his jacket to Connie, and joins in. Connie runs out of the club just as the MPs arrive.

Throwing herself on her bed at home, Connie weeps. She takes a framed photograph of Rex from her bedside table and tosses it to the floor, breaking the glass.

Next morning, carpeted by his CO, Andrew denies starting the fight. When the CO says that he thought they were fighting the Germans, not the Irish, Andrew replies that everyone knows whose side the Irish are really on.

The CO says that they're neutral, but Andrew takes the view that a neutral position helps the enemy. He says that they give no support, but the CO counters with the fact that thousands of Irish volunteers are in the forces, fighting for Britain. Andrew has no answer for this. The CO adds that, with the shortage of men, Irish labour is needed. He dismisses the young man after a brief reprimand, saying that he, Talbot and Wright would be on a charge if they weren't such damn good pilots.

Back at the police station, Milner tells Foyle that O'Halloran had been interviewed twice by Special Branch about bombing incidents, but no connection with the IRA had been established. Foyle asks about the fight at the club and is astonished to be told that his son started it. Milner asks if he should tell Sam about O'Halloran. Foyle replies, "No, it wouldn't help, she's far too imaginative. But any sign of any more trouble and we'll get her right out."

At the depot, Sam is told off by Bennett who says he doesn't want any of his girls involved in bar room brawls. Mrs Bennett is in the office and as she opens the safe Sam takes careful note of the combination of the lock.

As Vi walks along a road with Andrew, she complains about the fight. He tries to shut her up by saying that he's crazy about her, but she challenges this, saying that he hasn't even taken her home yet. Again, he explains that he lives with his father.

"Can't I meet him?"

"You don't want to meet him?"

"Why not? What's wrong with him?"

"Nothing, but…" He diverts her attention by saying they'll go back to the Flamingo tonight. She wants assurance that they are going to be together after the war. He says of course they are and begins to kiss her. Vi doesn't notice when he takes time out between kisses to look over her shoulder at Sam driving past in a tanker.

At the depot, as Sam pipes petrol from a tanker into the storage tank, she talks to Connie, who is watching the tanker gauge. Connie is scathing about Andrew's part in the fight – "rushing in like a knight in shining armour" - and asks Sam if she was going out with him before he met Rex. Sam avoids the question.

Connie calls her to stop the transfer as all the fuel has gone through, but when Sam looks at the gauge it shows 200 gallons still in the tanker. Connie dismisses it by saying that the tanker is empty, its just that the gauges sometimes stick. Sam is thoughtful on the journey back. Connie insists on dropping her off on the way, telling her she can get off early and catch a bus home, which gives Sam something more to think about.

Connie drives to a location in the woods where she meets Carter. She tells him she does not want to continue, but he says that they will be stopping altogether soon and she can't get out that easily. They proceed to transfer petrol from the tanker to barrels on a truck.

Sam reports back to Foyle and Milner at the station, telling them about Connie and the 200 gallons. Already convinced that Gannon is at the bottom of the petrol theft, they now begin to suspect a link between him and Bennett.

In his office in the Flamingo, Frank Gannon is plying Connie with whisky while trying to get her to say why she is crying.

Foyle tells the head of department at the Petroleum Board of the links suspected between Bennett and a well-known crook. The man wants to close down Bexhill and do an immediate audit, but Foyle does not want him to act before he has made any arrests. He is given another forty-eight hours.

Rex, Douglas, Andrew and Vi are in the Flamingo when Connie walks through the bar. Rex approaches her, but she pushes him away, saying that she doesn't want to see him. She cries and shouts about being tired of being used and pushed around. "I've had enough. I know something. Do you know what I know? I've got a little secret and maybe it's time I started sharing it around." Andrew insists on taking her home. As they leave, the Bennetts, standing nearby, hear Connie saying that she is going to tell everyone.

Next morning, Connie doesn't turn up for work. Sam goes to her home and when she gets no reply at the door, she finds the key where she knows it's hidden, and lets herself in. At the foot of a flight of stairs, she finds Connie lying dead.

When Foyle and Milner come to the scene, they ascertain that the woman fell down the stairs and broke her neck. Milner suggests that bruising on her wrist indicates a possible struggle and that perhaps she fell out with the petrol racketeer. Foyle isn't convinced.

In Connie's room upstairs, Milner tells Foyle that she shared with a woman called Violet Davis, to which he responds "Well, well, well." A search reveals the broken photograph frame, and Foyle recognises Rex. There is a tin of bicarbonate of soda on the dressing table. Milner comments that his wife uses the stuff. Under Connie's pillow, Foyle finds a diary. It has another photograph inside – of his son.

Outside the building, Foyle tells Sam that it looks like murder. Sam confirms that Rex Talbot was the man Connie was seeing.

Foyle asks, "What about the other girl? Was she seeing anyone?" He already knows the answer, but Sam is reluctant to give it.

"I don't really know."

"You don't really know?… Oh, look, for God's sake just tell me the truth. Do you think I'm an idiot? Really! Don't keep anything from me just because it involves my son, alright? She was seeing Andrew, wasn't she?"

Sam admits it but says that she knows Andrew is not involved in this. Foyle snaps, "Well, of course he's involved, it's quite obvious that he's involved… and it's murder and that means nobody is protected, not even him. You understand?" He walks off to his car.

As Milner interviews Vi at the depot, Foyle joins them, and Milner explains who he is. Vi is too upset to take note of the name. She says that Rex was Connie's only boyfriend, but then says there was a possibility of her seeing someone else. She tells what happened in the club. Foyle ascertains that Vi was not at home but at a hotel with her boyfriend the previous night. Vi assures them that she is not "that sort of a girl" and that she hadn't done that sort of thing before, but that he is more than a boyfriend and they are going to be married.

Foyle's expression does not change as he continues to ask questions. In response, Vi tells him that Andrew took Connie home and then went back for her. She smiles as she says, "His name is Andrew Foyle and he's the most wonderful man I've ever met and…" She suddenly connects the names, and her smile fades. Foyle's expression, too, changes.

As Foyle and Milner walk out of the building, the DCS runs a hand wearily over his face. Milner says he realises that he's been put in a difficult position, and Foyle agrees. "That's a bloody understatement, Milner!"

Milner says that he's sure Andrew is above suspicion., but Foyle retorts "Is he? He's not above mine."

The pair go straight to the airfield to interview Rex and Andrew. This is the first that Rex has heard of his girlfriend's death and he reacts accordingly, but something in his response to questions arouses the suspicions of the two policemen.

Out on the airfield, Foyle and Andrew walk as they talk. Andrew cannot believe that Rex could have had anything to do with Connie's death. He asks his father if he is a suspect, too. Foyle replies that Andrew was the last person to see the woman alive, but, no, he is not a suspect. Even so, Andrew begins to show aggravation at being questioned.

Foyle shows him the photograph that was in Connie's diary. Andrew says it was taken when he got his wings and that he gave a copy to his father. He denies giving one to Connie. Foyle asks if he gave one to Violet, and Andrew discovers that his father knows where he was the night before. There is an unpleasant spat between them, Foyle being angry that he is the last to know about Vi, and Andrew being angry that his father should assume he should be told about everything.

"You know Dad, I don't think you know me at all. I don't think you have any idea what goes on in my head." Foyle is being hurt and it shows. Andrew continues. "You come here, of all places, and you ask these questions as if anybody really gives a damn." He begins to shout. "Connie's dead! I had nothing to do with it! Rex had nothing to do with it! So just chuck it!" He storms off.

In the station, Foyle and Milner learn from the medical report that Connie was pregnant. Looking through her diary, Foyle finds notes of weekly payments made to her by "MB" whom they take to be Michael Bennett. There is no indication as to the identity of the father of her child or why she should have a photograph of Andrew. Thinking about Rex and Andrew, Foyle says that as either them could be the father, Milner should find out if either of them knew of the pregnancy. In the meantime, he would take steps to get Sam out of the depot.

As Milner gets up to go, Foyle startles him by saying, "Incidentally, em, bicarbonate of soda… it turns out that Connie Dewar might have been taking it for morning sickness. Spoken to your wife?"

Foyle tells Sam that she must pull out of the depot job. She is reluctant, but agrees.

Foyle speaks to Connie's doctor and learns that when he confirmed her pregnancy she said she was going to tell the father about it immediately after leaving his office.

Sam goes to tell Bennett that she is leaving, but he is in a hurry to go out and she takes on another petrol delivery instead.

At the airbase, the CO informs Rex that there is heavy action coming and he and the others will be back on ops any day now.

As Rex leaves the CO, Milner arrives to question him about Connie's pregnancy. He says he didn't know about it, but that he has to have been the father, and, yes, marriage was discussed but it was to be after the war. Connie probably didn't tell him because she didn't want to pressure him.

Foyle goes to see Gannon. He knows that it was to Gannon Connie went after leaving her doctor, and the man cannot deny that he knew he was the father of her baby. Gannon says that the pregnancy was the result of a one night stand, and admits that, as he is married, a baby would have been an embarrassment, but he could have arranged for an abortion. The implication is that, as Connie died three hours after telling Gannon, there was no time to decide what to do.

Andrew tells Vi about his father interrogating him about Connie. He asks her if she knows why Connie had a photograph of him under her pillow, and she says she doesn't. He then asks if she told his father that they were going to be married, and when she replies that she did, he says he wishes she hadn't. It becomes obvious that he doesn't want to talk about marriage any more. Vi becomes angry, saying that talking marriage was just a way for him to get her into bed. "I've had enough of you. Connie always said that you can never trust a pilot and she was right!" Their relationship ends in that moment.

Sam returns from her petrol delivery and goes into the depot office, which she knows to be empty. Recalling the combination of the safe, she opens it. As she is looking through the contents, someone approaches the office, and she takes cover under the desk. A man walks in, places a suitcase on top of her hiding-place, and leaves, padlocking the office door as he does so.

Same emerges from under the desk and on investigating the suitcase, discovers a ticking bomb. She is unable to escape from the building because the windows are protected with metal grills, and no one is around to hear her cries for help. She grabs the telephone.

Foyle is about to leave his office in the police station when his 'phone rings. He sighs but answers, and is greatly alarmed when Sam tells him of her situation. He instructs her to take cover behind a table or something equally solid, and then dives out of his office.

Sam tips a heavy table onto its side and takes cover behind it. The bomb ticks. Two police cars and a bomb disposal unit arrive at the depot and Foyle is the first through the office door when it is broken open. He rushes Sam out and the bomb squad takes over.

Outside, an angry Foyle tells Sam that she has been totally irresponsible. He is somewhat mollified, however, when she gives him a pile of requisition orders from the safe. A member of the bomb squad reports that Sam was lucky - the bomb was badly made so didn't go off when it was supposed to. Although Sam could not say that O'Halloran was responsible, she asks if Foyle thinks it was the IRA. He seems doubtful, then voices his concern for Sam. "Anyway, are you alright?"

"I think so, sir. Look, I'm really sorry."

"Well, not as sorry as I'd have been if you'd been killed… I mean, the sergeant's a terrible driver."

Foyle and Milner, accompanied by uniformed police, arrive at O'Halloran's house as he is packing to leave. Their next stop is the Flamingo because O'Halloran has talked and they have enough to take Gannon, and Carter, whom they find with him, into custody for being behind the planting of the bomb, and for the petrol thefts.

Foyle and Milner then meet in the depot office with the official from the Petroleum Board. Bennett says he knew nothing about the thefts. But Foyle has not come for him - it is Mrs B who is to be arrested. She had been changing the requisition orders to a higher figure so that more was taken from the tanks. The customer got what was ordered and Connie delivered the rest to Gannon, via Carter. The initials "MB" in Connie's diary were Connie's own form of shorthand and stood, not for Michael Bennett, but for Mrs B. Foyle explains to the man from the Petroleum Board that the bomb was planted to destroy all evidence of the crime. O'Halloran had been hired to throw suspicion on the IRA if the police got involved.

Sam is back in her police job and has taken Foyle to the airbase where he interviews Rex Talbot. He explains that the young pilot gave himself away very early when he responded to the news of Connie's death. By saying that Violet must have seen what happened because they lived together, he appeared to know that the death had occurred at the flat, but Foyle had not said where Connie's body was found. Rex says that he knew about the child and that Connie would have forced him to marry her, but it was out of the question, his mother wouldn't hear of it, as she would have considered a girl like that to be beneath him.

Foyle tells him that the baby wasn't his, that he knew it and that he was trying to use the baby to hide the truth, just as he used Connie to hide the truth. The photograph of Andrew found in Connie's diary belonged not to her but to Rex. Rex explains that she would have come by the photograph when he threw his jacket to her before charging into the fight at the club. His wallet must have fallen out of the pocket, and she must have found the photograph when she picked it up. Foyle says that the rest is in her diary - she was confused about his feelings for her and the lack of anything physical, and the photograph explained it all. "You're not interest in women, are you, Rex?"

Rex says that he hasn't, and, not finding it easy to say, admits that his feelings were not for Connie, but for Andrew. He says, "I disgust you."

With compassion, Foyle replies gently, "Not at all."

"I wish I could believe you."

Foyle assures him "It's true."

Rex explains that he didn't want the squadron to find out because he couldn't risk being kicked out of flying. Connie had threatened to expose him. He'd argued with her on the landing in the flat and he'd grabbed her wrists. She'd pulled away from him and tumbled backwards down the stairs. It was an accident, not murder.

At this point, the bell for ops begins to ring, and Rex pleads with Foyle to let him go on this one last flight. Foyle knows that an arrest should be made so that the matter can be dealt with, but Rex says that he is No.1 in the first section and that to drop out now would jeopardise the whole operation. Foyle is in a quandary. He understands the importance of Rex's place in the mission and must also be thinking of the safety of his own son. With Rex's assurance that he will not run away, Foyle agrees to let him fly, but it is hard for him to do so – his "yes" is only a movement of the lips.

As Rex turns to leave, he makes another request – that Andrew is not told. "You can just say it was because of the baby. I think I can bear any shame… but not that." Foyle gives an almost imperceptible nod.

Getting into his car, the policeman watches the 'planes take off on their mission.

That night, Foyle is at home, standing in his living room, whisky in hand, obviously thinking and worrying about his boy. The door of the room opens and he hears Andrew's voice: "Dad?"

With relief, he turns to face his son. "Andrew!"

Standing in the doorway, Andrew says softly, "I'm sorry we argued."

"So am I… My fault."

Andrew tells his father that Rex is dead. Walking slowly into the room, he describes the fatal dog-fight over the channel and how he watched his friend's plane go down. "Then suddenly, there were two of them on his tail, and … I thought he'd come out … I kept on waiting to see him come out on his chute and there I was to protect him. … 'Plane was spinning … it was on fire … I suppose he must have been knocked out. I watched it go all the way down."

Foyle listens with great sadness. "I'm sorry."

With difficulty, Andrew says, "I don't know how I will be able to carry on, Dad. He was my best friend."

Foyle turns to his son and says gently, "He was a good man, so… carry on for him."

Andrew nods, fighting back tears. "A good man."

He goes to his father and puts his arms around him, holding him tightly while resting his head upon his shoulder. Foyle puts an arm around his son to clasp him to him, and says, "One of the best."

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Return to Series 2