FW2-4: The Funk Hole

Detailed summaries. Some to be revised.

FW2-4: The Funk Hole

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:08 am

FW2-4: The Funk Hole (detailed summary revised)

October 1940

Night. Three men, Leonard Holmes, Dan Parker and Matthew Farley, are robbing the food depot in Hailsham, East Sussex. Two members of the Home Guard challenge them and they jump into their van, but a guard fires his rifle and hits Farley. The van takes off at speed, Parker hauling his injured mate inside.

That same night, there is an air raid over London. The fire of burning buildings lights up the sky and reveals the huge barrage balloons floating above. In one air-raid shelter the terrified people are not helped by a man who moans about the madness, and the deaths, claiming that Churchill and the rest of them don't care. "We're not going to win this war. Nobody can stop them. If we don't have a negotiated peace, we'll be crushed."

Some women remonstrate with him. "What do you know about it, anyway?"
"I do know! I'm with the police, I know what's happening… The Gerries have won and we might as well pack up!"

It's early morning, and Sam is searching for something in the police station. Milner enters and gives her the distributor cap she's looking for, which he had found in a biscuit tin in the kitchen.

In the meantime, Foyle has arrived back from a trip to London on the bus. Just as the bus is about to stop, he sees the Wolseley drive past and pull up. Sam hops out of the car and stands as though she has been waiting for the bus to come along. Foyle climbs out and walks towards her.
"Been here long?"
"A few minutes, sir."

Sam's boss gives her a look that says 'yeah, right' and a little smile tugs at the corner of his mouth as he puts his gas mask bag and a small suitcase into the boot of the car. Sam sheepishly explains that, following regulations, she had immobilised the vehicle, but she had forgotten where she had hidden the distributor cap.
Foyle smiles. "At least you got here."

As Sam drives him to the station, she asks what it's like in London. Foyle says "Well, a quarter of a million homeless, civil administration almost non-existent, no builders, no materials for repairs, rest centres are overcrowded, not enough mobile canteens, and in the shelters there's anything up to three-hundred people using as little as two latrines." He adds that the voluntary services are doing a great job but with up to five hundred tons of bombs being dropped per night there's only a limited amount that they can do. "There's too many dead and dying."

In a barn, Leonard Parker crouches beside the wounded Matthew Farley, who is lying in the hay. Farley asks where Leonard Holmes is, and Parker tells him that he said he'd be there. He says that Holmes will get a doctor, and asks Farley if he wants something to eat, as a lot of food is stacked in the barn. "We've got tinned salmon, tinned peaches, chocolate … you won't believe half the stuff we've got in here. There's fifty quids' worth of sugar. Len said we could probably get a hundred quid for it, two hundred, even. It's like Ali Baba's cave."
Struggling to speak, Farley says, "I want a doctor."

At the station, Milner welcomes Foyle back, and reports that there's not a lot going on. "Bomb fell on a cemetery in Upperton. Nobody killed, but a few dead bodies!"
Foyle smiles. "Old ones are always the best, eh?"

Milner tells of the break-in at the food depot outside Hailsham. As they walk to the office, three men pass, and Milner explains that they are bird-watchers who have been looking for rare birds. When Sam asks in surprise why the twitchers were being arrested, Milner explains that they were selling the birds as meat.

Foyle interviews Kate Farley who has reported her son Matthew as missing, saying she is worried because he has been keeping the wrong kind of company. He and Dan Parker - "a bit of no good" - do odd jobs together at a guesthouse called Brookfield Court. She speaks disparagingly of the place.

In the grounds of Brookfield Court, two of the male guests play a game of tennis.

As a woman carrying large document files and notebooks walks across the grass in front of the hotel, a spaniel runs up to her, and she crossly shoos it away. She exchanges words with the female owner, saying that if she'd known Mrs Powell allowed dogs, she'd have thought twice before coming. The owner retorts, "I wish you had, Miss Reece!"

A young man working in the garden observes the encounter. As he moves on to another part of the garden, Sam and Milner arrive in the Wolseley.

As Sam parks the car in the driveway of Brookfield Court, she says to Milner, "I hope you're not going to leave me by the car. Mr Foyle always does!"

Milner isn't persuaded. Leaving Sam by the car, he goes looking for the proprietor. The first person he sees is a man sat at a table, passing time trying to construct a tower with playing cards. The man is a little guarded on learning that Milner is a policeman. When asked the whereabouts of the owner, he points to another room and says that Mrs Powell is through there.

Sam does not stay by the car but goes looking around the grounds, and comes across a woman sitting typing in a summer house. It is Miss Reece, whose manner leaves Sam in no doubt that she is not pleased to be disturbed. Somewhat impatiently, she explains that she is a journalist who writes for magazines. She does not give her name.

Milner finds Mrs Powell in the kitchen, preparing a meal. She tells the sergeant that that Parker and Farley work there occasionally, and that she has not seen either of them for a couple of days. She says Parker does odd jobs in the kitchen, and Farley helps out in the garden. When Milner queries "You have two gardeners?" she says it's a big garden. She tells him that Farley lives with his mother in Hastings, and Parker has a room above a shop in the village.

Mrs Powell's husband, who is blind and wheelchair-bound, calls from the sitting-room, and she takes Milner to meet him. He tells Milner that Parker is a good-for-nothing and Farley is a layabout.

Mrs Powell names the guests staying at the hotel as Mr and Mrs Joseph, Mr and Mrs Hardiman, writer Amanda Reece and Mr Vaudrey who is the most recent arrival, and says that they will all be there for the duration of the war.

As Mrs Powell sees Milner to the door, she explains that her husband lost his sight due to a mustard attack at Ypres during the previous war.

Sam approaches the young man working in the grounds, and he stops abruptly when she tells him that she is with the police and that they are looking for a missing person. She gives Matthew Farley's name, but he says he's never heard of him. When she remarks on that being funny because Farley works there, too, the gardener says he keeps himself to himself.

Sam points out to the gardener that he is pulling up a flower, a penstemon, in mistake for a weed, but he ignores her.

The two tennis players have finished their game, and one of them meets Milner as he is walking away from the hotel. He says he'd heard a rumour that Milner was a police officer, and explains "you can't sneeze in this place without somebody noticing." When Milner comments about seeing him play tennis, he says the other man is Max Joseph. "Well, he's a Jew, but, um, not a bad sort." The man says he hasn't seen Farley recently, then he suggests to Milner that he check out a man called Frank Vaudrey who came down from London recently. He won't say why.

In their hotel room, Blake Hardiman tells his wife that he has just advised a visiting policeman to check out Frank Vaudrey. When she says she's not sure it was a good idea, he comments on items that have been stolen from Brookfield Court since Vaudrey arrived: "a fiver out of your purse, and those cufflinks were Cartier." When he says that Vaudrey doesn't fit in there, his wife retorts "You're such a snob!"

In Foyle's office, Milner tells his boss that he thinks the guest house is a funk hole. Foyle agrees, and when Sam requests an explanation of the term, he obliges. "It's a sort of hiding place for people with more money than conscience, who want to buy their way out of the war. There are hotels and guest houses just like Brookfield Court tucked away all over the country. Some of them had taken reservations on the day Germany invaded Poland." He says that Brookfield Court is advertising in the local press, and hands Sam a newspaper.

Milner reports that, following a tip, he has sent a routine inquiry to Scotland Yard regarding Vaudrey. Sam suggests that they ask about the gardener, too, because "he knew nothing about gardening, I can tell you that." The phone rings. Before responding, Foyle gives his driver a look that indicates he has a question about how she knew that, and what it could mean.

As Milner leaves to further the inquiry regarding Matthew Farley, Foyle answers the phone. The message alarms him. Summoning Sam to follow, he walks quickly from his office.

Sam drives Foyle to the local hospital and on their arrival her boss dives out of the Wolseley and runs up the steps of the building two at a time. He finds his injured son sitting in a wheelchair with his right arm in a sling and lacerations down the right side of his face from his brow to below his ear. Andrew explains that he crashed in the Channel but is okay apart from a broken arm and a few cuts and bruises. Foyle is greatly relieved. With a week's crash leave, his son can come home to recuperate.

In police HQ in London, Chief Inspector James Collier reports to Assistant Commissioner Rose that DCS Christopher Foyle has made seditious comments while taking cover in a shelter during the recent bombing. Rose is taken aback: "Foyle's a first-class detective who's more or less running the entire south coast. If there's any truth in this, it'll be nothing short of catastrophic."

Collier tells him that Foyle was in London for a conference - Directorate of Emergency Works – and stayed near St Paul's, less than a mile from the shelter. He says he has accurate witness descriptions and one person actually gave the name. Rose exclaims that it's madness and that he doesn't believe any of it, but he accepts that spreading alarm and despondency is a very serious breach of defence regulations, so instructs that Foyle is to be suspended from duty while an immediate inquiry is held. Collier persuades him to let him go to Hastings to sort the matter out.

In a barn where the stolen food has been stashed and the wounded Farley taken, Parker has brought something for his friend but finds that the man has died.

Next morning, in Foyle's house, Andrew, with his right arm in a sling, has difficulty spreading margarine on a slice of toast. His father offers to help, but he refuses, saying he's not hungry anyway. He doesn't know what he's going to do that day. Foyle tells him that sitting around moping will not do him any good, and suggests he asks a friend over. "That Douglas fellow?"
Andrew replies that Douglas died. "Went down in the Channel."
Foyle says softly, "Sorry."

Foyle is concerned, but Andrew tells him not to worry, as he's just feeling sorry for himself and his arm hurts. His father rubs his brow in thought, then suggests he take the day off to keep his son company.
"You haven't taken a day off in twenty years."
"There's always a first time."
"No. It'll be all right. I'll be fine."

Foyle is lost in thought as Sam drives him to work. She notices his look of concern and inquires if everything is alright. He replies, "Yes, thanks" but after a pause, continues, "No, not really. I'm just wondering if, em…" He purses his lips as he wrestles with whether or not he should speak his thoughts. "You doing anything this evening?"
Sam smiles. "Are you asking me out, sir?"
"Steady on, Miss Stewart. Certainly not! No, er, I was just thinking about, em, Andrew, er…" He is obviously uncomfortable.

Sam is concerned, and asks, "Is he alright?"
"No. Well, I don't know. I'm just a bit worried about him. He's not himself at the moment because of this accident and I thought… maybe, em… it would do him a bit of good to… get out a bit."
"You mean… with me?"
"Well, no, no, no. Well, no, er, er, er…"
Sam rescues him. "A drive in the countryside, something like that?"
A relieved Foyle says, "Perfect! Yes."

Sam says she will be pleased to give Andrew a breath of fresh air and a change of scenery. Her boss smiles.

Collier arrives in Hastings to begin his investigation. On the beside table in his hotel room, he places a photograph of two women.

Foyle is in his office with Milner. Looking at the reports of the shooting of a man during the robbery in Hailsham, and the missing man Matthew Farley who works at Brookfield Court, less than a mile from the food depot, he considers the possibility of a link between the two cases, especially as Farley's co-worker, Parker, rooms with Leonard Holmes who runs the village shop local to Brookfield Court, which Foyle and Milner agree would be a perfect place to distribute stolen food.

In the shop, Mrs Farley complains bitterly when Holmes sells the last piece of meat to Mrs Powell, saying that the local villagers have to go without while the cowards at her guest house eat their food. "They're just hiding from the war just because they can afford it." She tells Mrs Powell that she should be ashamed of herself for making money out of them. "Our men are fighting this war, and if they knew it was for people like you, they wouldn't bother!"

Dan Parker enters the back of the shop and catches Holmes's attention.

Holmes has gone with Parker to the barn. There is a heated exchange between the two men, Holmes saying that they must bury Farley's body in the woods, but Parker being very concerned about the man's mother who doesn't know that her son is dead. Holmes says they have no choice, and tells Parker to pull himself together and get a spade.

The Home Guardsman who shot Farley gives his report to Foyle and Milner, saying that the man he shot shouted something that he thought was "Damn!" Milner wonders if it could have been a man's name - Dan, perhaps?

As Mrs Powell arrives back at Brookfield Court with her shopping, the gardener stops what he's doing, and approaches her with some urgency, obviously with something important to say, but she turns and walks away from him.

In the guesthouse kitchen, Mrs Powell finds Parker cleaning the stove. She asks where he's been, and tells him that the police want to talk to him. He insists that she back up his story that he was there on Wednesday night. His tone is threatening. "You know, since I've worked here, I've got to know one or two things, haven't I, but I keep my mouth shut and I get on with my job, just like I was doing on Wednesday evening. Do you know what I mean?"

Sam calls at Foyle's house, and Andrew answers the door. She says that his dad had mentioned him being on his own at home and, as she was just on her way to have tea, she wondered if he wanted to join her. He is reluctant but she persuades, saying that she's more likely to get a decent portion if she's eating with an airman.

At a tea pavilion on the seafront, Andrew doesn't eat, but Sam tucks in with gusto. She tries to make conversation, but her companion is not very talkative. One thing she does get out of him is that he has broken up with Violet.

Sam tells the young pilot that they are all proud of what he is doing in the RAF.
He asks, "Is that why you invited me out to tea?"
She replies, "No. I just didn't like the idea of you moping in the house on your own."
"Moping … that's the word my father used. Did he put you up to this?"
"No… not exactly."
"He's worried about me so he sends a girl along to cheer me up!"
"I'm not a girl. … Well, I am, but not just a girl."

Andrew is angry. "You're a police driver doing what she's been told to do… I can't believe my father! Treating me like a child!" He continues his outburst, saying that no one needs to feel proud, he's just doing what has to be done. "The simple fact is that, right now, I just want to be left on my own, and if Dad thinks he can just use you like some sort of nanny, you can tell him to forget it!"

Sam tells him that is a horrid thing to say, but he is unrepentant. He stands and throws money onto the table, saying "Here, let me pay for tea!" Telling her that he will make his own way home, he walks off.

At Brookfield Court …

Frank Vaudrey has cross words Mrs Powell about what he considers to be an unfair division of the food rations. He says he has experience of administration and so questions her claim that the food is scrupulously portioned. She tells him that if he doesn't like being at the guesthouse, he can always leave.

Over a whisky in the lounge, Hardiman tells Max Joseph not to take too long to think about his proposition, as the war could end soon. He says there are weaving mills going under all over the country due to the shortage of men, so buying them cheap now will reap a huge profit after the war. "It's your finance, my expertise. Nothing can stop us."

The young gardener enters the kitchen as Mrs Powell is preparing dinner. She is horrified and tells him that he shouldn't be there. He says he had to see her, that he couldn't just work out there, pretending. Mrs Powell says she doesn't want him to leave, but she's worried because Parker once saw them together and has threatened to tell. "I can't bear to lose you."

They embrace just as Mr Powell comes into the room, saying he has heard voices. His wife assures him that she is alone.

From the window of his room, Frank Vaudrey observes Jane Hardiman taking her dog Charlie for a walk in the grounds.

In the summer house, Amanda Reece works on a newspaper article about a child who's home had been bombed, and smiles with satisfaction as she chooses the most emotive word to describe the child's injuries. She looks up as she hears Jane calling for her dog.

Still observed by Vaudrey, Jane collects a cloth bag of something hidden in a tree near the summer house then resumes her search for her dog. She finds Charlie investigating a freshly turned patch of earth in the undergrowth, and gasps when he uncovers a man's hand.

As Foyle and Milner are preparing to leave the police station, Foyle tells of the discovery of a body, and says the man was shot in the back.

Collier has arrived at the station, and approaches Foyle as he and Milner are on their way out. When Foyle recognises him as an inspector from Scotland Yard, Collier says that it's chief inspector now. He stops Foyle leaving, saying that he's suspending him from duty pending investigation under Section 39A of the Defence and Regulations Act, which is to do with causing disaffection or influencing public opinion.

Foyle is stunned. When Collier says the offence took place in a public air-raid shelter on London's Whitechapel Road, Foyle denies being in the shelter, and asks, "Can't this wait?" Collier says that it can't, so he and the DCS continue to talk in an interview room.

Foyle declares crossly, "This is rubbish. You know it and I know it." Collier counters his adamant protestations by telling him that there are witness statements, but he won't let him see them. He says that if he'd had his own way, the whole thing would have been handled quietly and quickly, but that Assistant Commissioner Rose had insisted that it be done by the book. He tells Foyle that he is to be confined to Hastings and have no further communication with the station. When Foyle asks what is to happen with the present inquiries, Collier replies that Milner can handle those, and that, although it is unorthodox, he had persuaded the Assistant Commissioner to allow him, Collier, to stand in for the DCS, so the sergeant can report directly to him. Foyle is not pleased but can only comply.

As Sam drives Milner to the place where Farley's body has been found, she clucks about Foyle's suspension. "Spreading sedition in London! I've never heard anything so ridiculous." After long pause, she asks, "What exactly is sedition?"

Farley's mother is at the site. She is distraught. She tells Milner that she believes that Parker is the one who got her son into trouble.

Milner questions Holmes in his shop and is told that Farley used to visit Parker in his room above. Milner is curious as to why Holmes talks about the man in the past tense.

From there he goes to Brookfield Court where he finds Parker chopping wood. Parker says he last saw Farley two weeks previously, but, from what Farley's mother had told him, Milner knows he is lying. When the man turns to walk away, Milner roughly grabs his shirt front and warns him that it was a Ministry of Food warehouse he broke into, so he could well be hanged. "Think about it!"

Andrew returns to Steep Lane after being out to buy a newspaper. He is surprised to find his father at home, and is astonished to learn why. His father says he's not exactly under house arrest, but Andrew reports that there is a constable outside "so it looks like we'll be stuck here together."
"Yeah, sorry about that."
"Well, it's alright. Glad to have you here."

Foyle isn't smiling. He's not in the best of tempers, and says, crisply, "Well, I heard about your meeting with Sam."
"Yes … well … if you don't mind my saying, Dad, it was a bit presumptuous of you to set that up."
"Presumptuous? All I did was to ask her to get you out of the house because I thought the change would do you good. She drives - I don't. Tea was her idea."
"I don't need anyone's pity."
"Well, that's abundantly clear! Anyway, I thought it was very nice of her, and now she's really upset. And, God knows, I know what you've been through and how you're feeling at the moment, but it's no excuse for being thoroughly boorish and totally bloody rude, frankly."

Andrew is taken by surprise both by his father's sharp tone and what he has said about Sam. "Was she really upset?"
Foyle snaps back, "Yes, she was!"
"Well, I'm sorry. Maybe I wasn't thinking straight."
"Well, it won't be the first time."

In the station, Milner tells Collier that he thinks they have enough to arrest Holmes and Parker, but Collier disagrees. He calls it a day and invites Milner to have a drink with him. They talk as they walk to Collier's hotel. The chief inspector tells Milner of the terrible damage that is being done to London by the bombing, but "doesn't matter what they throw at us, people are still up for work the next morning, climbing over the rubble if need be."

Milner asks if Collier has family in London. He says no.

As they talk in the lounge of Collier's hotel, Milner stands up for his boss. Collier says that his loyalty does him credit but that war changes people.

He talks to Milner about the body found near Brookfield Court and asks about the inquiry he had made about Vaudrey. He says that they will go to the guest house the next day to take a look around.

Next morning at Brookfield Court, Hardiman challenges Vaudrey about a gold cigarette case that has gone missing. Vaudrey tells him that he knows what sort of business he and Joseph are in, and about his wife's "little game", too, and that maybe it is he, Vaudrey, who should talk to the police.

Collier and Milner arrive at the guest house with several uniformed policeman. During a conversation with Mr and Mrs Powell, Mrs Powell tells them that they have a son serving in North Africa, and Mr Powell says proudly that he was not conscripted but joined up. While Collier talks to them, Milner looks at photographs in the sitting room, and is puzzled.

Speaking of the guests, Mrs Powell says that Vaudrey has only been there for a couple of weeks.

When Collier asks if she ever buys "under the counter" at Holmes's grocer's shop, she and her husband vehemently deny it. Collier has the house searched to see if any misappropriated food has been stored. In the meat safe in the kitchen, a plate of green meat is found. Mrs Powell explains that it is horsemeat for Mrs Hardiman's dog, and that it is sprayed green before it's sold, to indicate that it is unfit for human consumption.

Collier questions Vaudrey and learns that his address in London was 13 Goddard Road.

The bag Mrs Hardiman took from the woods is discovered in their bedroom. It contains tins of ham which Mrs Hardiman says are for Charlie. Collier says he believes that the meat was obtained from Leonard Holmes, and he alarms the Hardimans by telling them that he may be arrested.

Nothing else is found in the search, and Collier is displeased.

Outside, Sam remarks to Milner, "Not how Mr Foyle would have done it!" When Collier joins them, she says, "Bad luck, sir. Seems the whole thing has been a bit of a disaster." Unfortunately for Sam, Collier begins to wonder why she is there. Upon learning that she is seconded from the MTC, he tells her that she is to go back there immediately after their return to the station, as he doesn't need a driver and certainly not one from outside the force. Sam is crestfallen.

Later that day, back at Hastings MTC, Sam finds that her commanding officer is far from pleased that she has returned. The CO refers to Sam as a loose canon, and says, crossly, "In fact, you were the most insubordinate woman under my command!"

Collier calls on Foyle at his home on Steep Lane, but Foyle objects to his going into the house. Instead, he agrees to go for a walk so that they can talk.

Foyle challenges something a witness has claimed as being either mistaken or a false statement. Collier ask if he thinks that someone has got it in for him: Rose, perhaps? Foyle tells him that it is possible because Rose is a friend of the previous Assistant Commissioner, who was sacked because of him. Collier says it wasn't Rose who came to him, but he who went to Rose. He refuses to allow Foyle access to the case notes.

Commenting on Foyle having a son in the RAF, Collier says that he and his wife never had children, and that he is glad, because there were too many children being killed in the war. He comments about young German pilots: "They fly over London, press a button and kill so many people indiscriminately."

Foyle wonders at what he's saying. "Are you trying to tell me something?"
Collier says, "If it was you in that shelter, if you did speak out against it, I understand. I'm with you."
"Well, thank you, but I didn't!"

In the inspection pit in the MTC garage, Sam is working on the underside of a vehicle. She turns the wrench she is using, and is squirted in the face with oil just as Andrew arrives.

He says he'd been told at the station where she would be, and that he wanted to apologise for having behaved like an absolute pig, to which Sam responds "A pig - or a prig!" He admits to both. Sam ends up agreeing to accompany him to the six o'clock showing of Gone With the Wind at the cinema that evening.

At Brookfield Court, Mr Powell tells his wife that he knows when she's lying to him, and that he knew there was someone in the kitchen with her the other day. He asks her who it was, but she won't say.

The telephone rings. It is a call for Frank Vaudrey.

In the station, Milner interviews Amanda Reece. He reads from one of her newspaper articles in which she describes the bombing of London as though she was in the midst of it. When he comments on her claiming to be an ambulance driver in the city, she says that she's giving her readers what they want. Milner asks if she knows a body has been found. Ms Reece says she'd love to write about it, but that she can't because officially she's in London.

He asks her if there is anything she can tell him that might help the investigation into misappropriated food. She says that she doesn't trust Mrs Powell because the woman is conducting an affair with a man half her age under the nose of her blind husband.

In the meantime, back at Brookfield Court, Charlie has gone missing and Mrs Powell goes to see if the dog is in the summerhouse. She finds Vaudrey writhing in agony on the floor. His last words are "Woolton should have stopped them."

Collier and Milner attend the scene. From the discoloration of Vaudrey's lips and the smell of almonds, Milner deduces that the cause of death was cyanide, and that the man was poisoned. Collier suggests that it may have been suicide. A mark on Vaudrey's brow indicates a blow, which Collier says could have been sustained when he fell after taking something. Milner says it is unusual for a suicide not to leave a note.

Speaking with the Powells, they consider Vaudrey's last words. Collier says it makes sense, as "a theft of food in the area, the house is being searched – Vaudrey must have been involved in some way." When Milner queries the mention of Lord Woolton, Collier replies that he is the Minister of Food. Milner isn't convinced.

Mrs Powell reports that the man had received a telephone call from a man that morning.

Milner asks about the summerhouse. Mrs Powell says that Amanda Reece is there most days and sometimes for most of the day, and that she didn't think Vaudrey ever went there. Milner can't understand why, if the man committed suicide, he would have chosen the summerhouse.

Collier explains to the Powells that Vaudrey may have taken cyanide. Mrs Powell immediately suggests they talk to Mr Hardiman.

Collier and Milner then interview the Hardimans in their room. Mr Hardiman admits to having kept a cyanide pill in the room in case of a German invasion, and checking, discovers that it has gone. He says that Mrs Powell was the only other person who knew about it.

The Hardimans mention the cufflinks, cigarette case and money that have gone missing, and when Milner reminds Mrs Hardiman that they may now be investigating a murder, she admits to getting the tins of ham from Leonard Holmes, who left them for her by the summerhouse.

At the station, while Collier interrogates Holmes, Milner questions Parker, who denies any connection with Vaudrey. Milner confronts him with a bag full of items stolen from Brookfield Court which had been found during a search of his room above the shop. "Now, I think it's about time you talked."

That evening, Andrew walks Sam home from the cinema. She tells him, "Your father worries about you. He'd never say as much, but I can tell."
Andrew replies, "It was bad enough for him losing Mum."
"How old were you when she died?"
"Eight. He never talks about her. I think they were very happy. He misses her... so do I."

They talk a little more and then Andrew stops abruptly, turns to Sam and asks her if she would mind if he kissed her. She wouldn't, and he does.

Foyle answers a knock at his door, and finds Milner on the doorstep. He asks his sergeant if he has been seen, and when Milner says he thinks so, Foyle comments that he'll be in big trouble with Collier.

Milner reports that Parker has confessed, and that the missing food supplies have been recovered. He says Holmes had been selling under the counter, and that Vaudrey wasn't buying food but might have known something about it. Foyle can't make sense of the dead man's last words, either. He asks where Vaudrey was before coming to Hastings, and Milner tells him about the London address.

On another subject, the sergeant hands his boss an envelope, saying that he had "happened upon" Collier's case notes about him and copied as much as he could. Foyle looks at the contents of the envelope. "You know there are, em, going to be two of us suspended at this rate, Milner." He smiles.
His sergeant smiles back. "I'd be happy to join you, sir."

As he turns to go, Foyle asks why Amanda Reece was not in the summerhouse that day, and Milner explains that he was interviewing her at the station.

Amanda Reece gives Mrs Powell a cheque to cover her bill. She is leaving the guesthouse because, she says, she can't work there with all the disruption. She remarks that there is an atmosphere in the house, and that she noticed it the moment she arrived. Mrs Powell replies that it's not the house but the people in it.

Toward evening, in 31 Steep Lane, Foyle and his son are plotting something. Andrew peers through the window of the living-room and tells his father that the constable is still outside the front door. As Foyle tightens his tie and puts on his jacket, he puzzles, "How are we going to do this?" Andrew asks him why he has to go to London anyway, and is told that he'll find out later.

His father is still trying to figure out how to get out of the house undetected, when Andrew comes up with the solution: "Hey, why not use my room? Out the window, down the tree and into the next garden."
"I beg your pardon?"
"Well, how do you think I used to bunk off when I was meant to be doing homework?"
"Yeah, but you were how old?"
"Aren't you up to it?" Andrew asks, innocently.

His father takes this as a challenge. He tugs sharply on his jacket lapels. "I see!" Indicating with a tilt of his head that Andrew should follow, he turns towards the door. "Your room!" Andrew laughs, and follows.

Collier carpets Milner for visiting Foyle, and tells him that he could have him stripped of his rank and transferred. He says that he is not going to do that, however, because, as it is, he is the one who is leaving. He does not say why, but assures Milner that the investigation into DCS Foyle will continue in London.

Milner asks about the murder at Brookfield Court and is taken aback when Collier says there was no murder, it was suicide.

Foyle has arrived in London and found the woman who had named the man in the London Underground. She is one of a number of women working with a mobile laundromat, doing people's washing using washtubs, washboards and mangles set up in the street. She tells Foyle that the name she gave to the police was Colin Fowler. She says she doesn't want him bothered any more because after what he'd been through in the school in West Ham it wasn't surprising that he said the things he did.

Foyle visits Fowler, who is very depressed. He learns that Fowler and his family were among two hundred people who, after being bombed out of their homes, had been herded together in the local school to await removal to other accommodation. They had no blankets, nowhere to wash, and had only buckets and coalscuttles to use as toilets. No buses had come to collect them. On the third night the school was bombed, and Fowler's wife and children were among one hundred killed. Fowler says that he never found his wife, but that he had found his two sons lying together, holding hands. "Turns out we'd been forgotten, somebody mislaid the paperwork, I don't know …".

As he leaves the terraced house, Fowler looks up into the sky, and remarks "There's Bevan up again. Bloody useless. They all are!" Foyle notes that he is referring to a barrage balloon floating overhead.

His next visit is to see Assistant Commissioner Rose, who is not at all happy with him marching into his office unannounced. Foyle says that if he'd told him he was coming, Rose would not have seen him. He presents his case and it is obvious that he is keeping anger under control. He explains that someone had chosen to mistake him for someone called Colin Fowler, but the only thing they have in common is their initials. Fowler had spent a year in the Police Auxiliary Messenger Service but he's not a policeman. "And for what it's worth, he's no more guilty than I am."

When he states, crossly, "I'd rather like to know which idiot suspended me", Rose replies with a smug look, "Actually Foyle, the decision was mine."

If the AC is expecting an apology for the "idiot" comment, he does not get it. Instead, Foyle comes back with "Well, what a surprise!" in a tone that indicates that surprise it is not.

Foyle wants to know why he was pulled out in the middle of a murder case. Rose does not understand; Collier had told him it was suicide. Foyle puzzles him further by saying he wants information about a West Ham school that was bombed two months ago.

At Brookfield Court, Milner is solving a puzzle that has been bothering him. He questions Mrs Powell, in the presence of her husband and the young gardener, about Amanda Reece's accusations of an affair. The truth that Milner has suspected comes out: the young gardener is the Powells' son and a deserter, hiding out at the guesthouse. Milner had deduced this from his not knowing anything about gardening, and the lack of photographs in the supposedly proud parents' home. Mr Powell did not know that Peter had deserted and was there, and Mrs Powell had hidden the pictures to prevent others recognising him.

Milner tells Peter that if he gives himself up voluntarily, going AWOL is not considered as serious an offence as desertion.

As Andrew walks with Sam along the seafront, he laughs as he tells her about his father sneaking out and climbing down the tree. "I don't think I've ever seen anything quite so bizarre. Dad in his best suit and hat, swinging down into next door's garden."

Sam asks if he found anything out in London and Andrew says that he didn't say. Sam replies, "He never does."

When Andrew tells her that he is going back to his unit, she says she is going to worry about him now, and mentions writing letters every day. Andrew hints that his father would probably not approve, and she agrees. She tells him to take care of himself, and he makes the promise, sealing it with a kiss.

Foyle returns to his police station, greeting a surprised Milner. It is Foyle's turn to be surprised when, asking the whereabouts of Sam, he is told that Collier sent her back to the MTC. With a look of displeasure, he instructs Milner to phone Andrew and get him to come over.

When Foyle goes into his office, he finds Collier sitting at his desk. Collier tells him that he was delighted to learn that Foyle had been cleared and that the whole business would be reviewed when he returned to London. Standing to leave, he informs Foyle of his conclusions re Vaudrey's death, but Foyle has things to say. He tells Collier what he had deduced … When Milner's inquiry was received at Scotland Yard, Collier had seen it, and had discovered the whereabouts of the London councillor whose negligence left the two hundred people languishing in the West Ham school. Collier's own mother and sister, voluntary workers with the WVS, had been among those killed when the building was bombed. The chief inspector had deliberately confused Fowler's name with Foyle's in order to have the DCS suspended so that he could take his place in Hastings. He had found the cyanide capsule when searching Brookfield Court, and had told Milner to interview Amanda Reece at the station so she would not be in the summerhouse where, by telephone, Vaudrey had been told to go.

Collier confesses that he forced Vaudrey to take the cyanide, and asks Foyle if he knows what the dying man had meant by "Woolton should have stopped them." Foyle explains that the barrage balloons in London are named after politicians: Bevan, Minister of Labour; Woolton, Minister of Food; et cetera. The balloons were intended to prevent bombing by forcing enemy planes to fly higher or divert, but the one near the school hadn't succeeded.

Collier says he doesn't regret what he has done. "I lost my entire family so stupidly, so unnecessarily. And all because one man forgot to sign a piece of paper. That's what I've said from the start: war does different things to different people. Look what it's done to me."

In the MTC garage, Sam has been set to work fixing a problem with her CO's car, and is being hassled by the woman. As the officer stalks off, Sam hears Foyle calling her name. The policeman marches into the MTC garage with a grin on his face. "What on earth are you doing here? Gross dereliction of duty!" He tells her that he has a car outside that needs a driver. "You've been transferred. Come on!"

Before she follows him, Sam tinkers with something under the bonnet of her CO's car and then closes it.

Outside, Foyle takes his usual seat in the Wolseley, Milner gets into the back, and Andrew, who has driven them to the garage, holds the door open for the regular driver. As Sam climbs in, her CO notices and wonders where she's going, but seeing her car apparently ready for her, she gets in and switches on the ignition, whereupon a cloud of hissing steam erupts from under the bonnet. The furious CO runs out of the garage after the Wolseley, but Sam has made a speedy getaway!

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Return to Series 2