FW1-1: The German Woman

Detailed summaries. Some to be revised.

FW1-1: The German Woman

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:18 pm

FW1-1: The German Woman detailed summary

England, May 1940

On the cliff top near the village of Fenton on the Hastings coast, Thomas Kramer, a man in his sixties, is picnicking with his wife Elsie. While he is taking photographs of her with the sea as a backdrop, an ARP warden, cycling past, sees him and also notes a ship far out in the bay. Later that day in a little cottage on the coast, Kramer, who is a music professor, gives a boy a piano lesson while Elsie hangs out washing in the garden.

That night, the Kramers are awakened from sleep by police officers, who have come to intern them as enemy aliens under the Defence Regulations and Aliens Order Act of 1920. They are taken to a police station and questioned separately. It is established that the couple came to England in 1938 and that they have relatives in Germany and a nephew, Mark Andrews, in the British Army, stationed at Aldershot. In England the couple have been given a 'B' registration which restricts movement and forbids the possession and use of a camera. The interrogators believe that Kramer was photographing the ship and has been sending information to America under the pretence of coded chess moves. They also believe that his wife was making a signal when in her garden, clothes on a washing line being the first sighting that would be made by enemy aircraft approaching from the south.

The Kramers are taken with many others to a dank factory building roughly converted for use as a military prison. As the internees are herded into cells resembling chicken pens, Kramer's distraught wife collapses with a heart attack, and dies.

Detective Chief Superintendent Christopher Foyle alights from a taxi outside Police HQ in London. He enters the building and proceeds to the office of Assistant Commissioner R F Summers.

The AC is not pleased with Foyle, who sits in gloomy mood while his superior flatly rejects his fourth request for transfer. Foyle feels that he could be doing something more relevant to the war effort and argues that he's not needed for pen-pushing, blackouts, traffic patrols, and the like, but is firmly told that as first-class police officer he is needed where he is. Foyle points out that the crime rate has nearly halved. The AC says that may be so in Hastings, but per head of the population it is rising - various offences, including murder. "Has it crossed your mind that we're training half the country how to kill? Eh? What's the effect of that going to be?"
Foyle points out that he does not have the men to cover a murder investigation as most of them had enlisted; his sergeant was somewhere in the North Sea. Summers is exasperated and says it is the same for everyone, last month alone three Chief Constables enlisted.

Foyle says, flatly, "I'm wasting my time on the south coast, I want to be transferred."
Summers responds adamantly. "Request refused!"

Foyle is not surprised by the response. He says dully, "Thank you for seeing me." He rises from his chair and walks across the room. Summers allows him to get as far as the door before saying, brusquely, "Sit down, Foyle! I haven't finished yet."

The DCS pauses, chews his lip for a second and then wearily obeys the order. Summers tells him that he will find him a new sergeant. "Oh, and I understand that you don't drive? I've never heard of a Chief Superintendent who can't drive, but still..." Foyle looks as though he has heard the comment before. "…I've managed to arrange a personal driver for you, name of Stewart, pulled out of the MTC [Mechanised Transport Corps]. It's a bit unorthodox, I know, but it's the best we could do." He dismisses Foyle, telling him not to submit any more requests for transfer.

As Foyle goes to the door, Summers fires after him, "You know, Foyle, if you weren't so damned obstinate, you'd see that I'm actually on your side. You do a good job. No telling where you might be once the war is over."

Pausing thoughtfully before he exits, Foyle replies, "It'll depend on who wins, I suppose."

Mark Andrews, in Army uniform, calls at the manor that is home to Henry Beaumont, the local magistrate and his one-time employer, to ask the man to use his influence to help his uncle. He explains to Beaumont that Kramer had to leave Germany because he spoke out against what was going on. When Beaumont says that he can do nothing, Andrews protests that Beaumont's wife is German but has not been interned. The magistrate sternly rebukes him for impertinence, and sends him away. On his way out, Andrews passes Greta Beaumont in the hall and gives her a long, sour look. Outside, he notes Beaumont's daughter waiting as a car driven by her fiancé pulls to a stop in front of the manor.

Indoors, Greta asks her husband what the angry-looking young soldier wanted, but he brushes the query aside. She then tells him that Michael Turner has arrived; she does not look pleased with the fact.

At lunch Turner says that he is over from London for a couple of days and when Greta asks if he is staying at the Bell, answers yes. In the resulting exchange her tone is critical, prompting Sarah to speak to her sharply about her attitude. Beaumont rebukes his daughter and she responds by remarking that if Greta has something against Michael, she should come out and say it. She looks pointedly at Greta. "Or is it about the money again?" Beaumont objects, demanding civilised behaviour. "When this is your house, you can do as you like, but until then…"

DCS Foyle is typing at his desk in the police station when there is a knock at his office door. Without looking up, he responds with "Come in" whereupon the door opens and a woman enters, and inquires, "Chief Superintendent Foyle?"

Foyle glances up and then back to his typewriter, but does a double take when he realises that his caller is a female in her early twenties, wearing khaki uniform. Questioningly, he replies, "Yes?"

The young woman marches up to the desk, salutes and announces brightly, "I've been assigned to you as your new driver."

"Ah." Foyle is disconcerted and takes a moment to digest the information. "Er, S... Stewart?"

"Samantha Stewart, sir."

Foyle's puzzled expression requests clarification. The young woman cheerfully responds with "You can call me Sam!" While she appears to be happy with her posting, Foyle appears to be anything but.

The DCS, gas-mask over one shoulder and trilby in hand, leaves the office with his new driver and as they walk down the corridor to the front desk, Sam fills Foyle's ears with rapid, chirpy chatter. She tells him things he really does not want to know, such as the facts that she was born in Lyminster and her father is still the local vicar there. Foyle tries to appear interested.

As they approach the front desk opposite the station entrance, Sam keeps talking. "Anyway, it's not much fun being a vicar's daughter, on your best behaviour all the time. Personally, I couldn't wait for the war to come along. Chance to get out." She grins at the police sergeant behind the desk.

As Foyle signs out, he comments dryly, "It's em, very unusual for, em, a ranking officer to be assigned a driver outside the Force."

"Yes, that's what I said when they told me, but they said they couldn't get anyone else, so here I am."

Foyle is glum. He says resignedly, "Right," and leads the way out of the station.

As they set off in the police Wolseley, Sam asks what her boss is investigating, adding with relish, "I hope it's something juicy – a spy ring or a nice, grizzly murder."

Foyle is taken aback and responds sternly, "I think we should get something straight right from the very beginning. You don't ask me what I'm doing. You don't ask me what I'm investigating. You simply take me to where I want to go. Is that understood?"

Sam smiles brightly. "Whatever you say."

As she brings the car to a halt at a shingled beach, Foyle instructs her to wait, opens the door and begins to climb out. Sam immediately asks how long he is going to be and with a look of exasperation he drops back into his seat. He opens his mouth to speak, but before he can get a word out, Sam inquires if he is meeting someone. Pained, Foyle turns to her. "Excuse me, did you not understand what I've just been… er…?"

Sam looks bemused and asks innocently, "What?"

Foyle gives up. "Never mind. Just wait here, will you?" He steps out of the car and closes the door before his new driver has a chance to annoy him further.

Foyle searches amongst rows of fishermen's huts until he finds a man whom he has arranged to meet about having call-up papers "mislaid" for a bribe of £150. The man comments that Foyle is a bit old to worry about being called up, but Foyle explains that it is for his 23-year-old son whom he does not want to go. After establishing that the man's name is Keegan and he is a civil servant in the Brighton office, Foyle identifies himself as a policeman and proceeds to arrest him. He is stopped short and doubles up as Keegan punches him in the midriff before running off in blind panic. Recovering, Foyle gives pursuit through the rows of huts and fishing boats, but the other man is well ahead of him. Rounding a hut, he comes to a halt and stands wide-eyed in astonishment at the sight of Keegan lying flat out on the ground, unconscious, and Sam standing over him with a dustbin lid in her hand.

Foyle looks in wonder. "Sam?"

She replies, "Yes, sir?" a little surprised herself at what she has done.

Foyle fingers the knot in his tie as he thoughtfully surveys his new driver's handiwork. Deciding not to complain about her disobeying instructions to stay in the car, he says appreciatively, "Thank you!"

As Foyle walks back to the Wolseley, a little grin tugs at the corner of Sam's mouth.

A taxi pulls up in Steep Lane. Andrew Foyle alights and ascends the steps of No.31. Inside the house he finds his father bent to the delicate task of making a trout-fly. Foyle is both surprised and delighted to see him, and Andrew is pleased to be home.

Father and son prepare to have a meal together, but on finding little in the kitchen cupboard, Andrew pulls a face and complains, "There's bugger-all in the larder!" His father replies, "Well, there was bugger-all indication, Andrew, that you were coming home!"

As they put something together for tea, Andrew says that he's going to be home for a couple of days. As they eat at the dining table, Foyle discovers that his son, who has been flying weekends with the volunteer reserve, is soon to be more closely involved in the war. Andrew explains that he will be based in Scotland for three months training and then will be flying ops. Foyle is very unhappy with the news, but tells Andrew that he is proud of him. As he clears the table he suggests that before Andrew leaves on Saturday afternoon they go trout fishing together. Andrew laughs and happily agrees. As Foyle carries the tray out to the kitchen, his son calls him back. Foyle stops and turns towards him. "Yeah?"

"It's good to see you."

Foyle smiles briefly and with a wistful expression says softly, "Hm."

When he is back at work, Foyle questions Bob Keegan, but without success. The civil servant, extremely nervous and sweating profusely, will not answer. Foyle tells him that as he is non-compliant, he will be handed over to the military police. "Treason in a time of war – they'll hang you." He makes to leave, but as he reaches the door Keegan says, "There's a man called Judd… Ian Judd."

Inside the Bell, Mark Andrews and another young man, Ray Pritchard, are drinking at the bar. A radio is on and a voice is warning against trusting anyone with German or Austrian connections. Angrily, Andrews yells at Ian Judd, the landlord, to turn it off. The man obliges, but says that he thinks the broadcaster is right. Andrews snaps, "So if a German walked in here, you wouldn't serve them?" The young barmaid Tracey Stephens responds by saying that she would show them the door. When Andrews asks what she would do if it was Mrs Beaumont from the manor, she replies that she is different. Andrews retorts, "Well, she's German!" Ignoring objections, he elaborates on his opinion of Mrs Beaumont until Judd orders him to leave.

Michael Turner enters the pub, and books a room for two nights. When asked if he wants the usual room, he replies that any will do and Judd tells him it will be seven shillings a night "plus you owe me for a couple of weeks." Turner hands over money warning that, one day, Judd will push him too far. Pritchard observes the scene with interest.

Shortly afterwards, Pritchard walks the young barmaid home after her shift. The two are obviously very much in love.

Outside the manor, Greta, dressed in riding costume, mounts a horse and tells her husband that she will be back in an hour. Dr Julian Groves drives up just as she is riding off and he queries with Beaumont if it is wise to let her go, as she is supposed to be ill. Beaumont says he thinks she can look after herself. Groves is unhappy with the response. "That wasn't what you said to me once. And it wasn't just me. I wasn't the only one to stick my neck out."

Greta rides across open fields and through the woods, watched by Andrews who is hiding in the trees.

Next day, the Wolseley pulls up outside the Bell and before Foyle can alight, Sam asks if she may come in. Foyle looks at her in disbelief and is about to issue a suitable rebuff when Sam explains, "To powder my nose." She immediately climbs out of the car and, unable to object in the circumstances, Foyle simply follows.

In the pub, the policeman introduces himself to Judd and requests a minute to talk. Tracey is near, so before Judd gets into conversation with him he sends her out of the room to fetch more beer. Foyle questions Judd about Bob Keegan, but the landlord will admit only to knowing the man as a customer. Suddenly, an air-raid warning sounds, and seconds later Sam runs into the bar to Foyle, seeking his assurance that it is a false alarm. Foyle recognises the whistling sound of a falling bomb and, realising that it's coming their way, yells, "Get down!" He grabs Sam and pulls her with him to the floor just as the bomb hits the street and the blast of it wrecks the room.

In the aftermath, as the emergency services fight fire in nearby buildings and tend the injured around him in the bar, Foyle confirms sadly that a young girl lying on a stretcher has died, and covers her face with a blanket before her body is stretchered away. Foyle takes a drink out of the landlord's hand and gives it to a traumatised elderly woman whose injured leg Sam is bandaging. He surveys his driver's handiwork with a measure of surprise and compliments her on doing a good job. Sam explains that she was taught basic first aid in the MTC. "My instructor always said he'd rather bleed to death than be bandaged by me." When she asks Foyle if he thinks it was a raid, he says that it was just a single plane, perhaps lost on its way home.

They are interrupted by young Pritchard running into the bar searching for Tracey. When he is told that she is dead, he rounds fiercely on Judd, shouting that it is his fault because Tracey shouldn't have been in pub, and that he knew all about him and had warned her. Foyle steps in to calm him down and tells Sam take him home.

When Tracey's parents hear the news of their daughter's death, they are distraught. The girl's father rails against the Germans, threatening what he would do if he could get his hands on one of them.

When, a while later, Greta Beaumont is shopping in the village, she is made to feel uncomfortable by the people she passes in the street, who look at her accusingly.

Mark Andrews visits his uncle in the camp and tells him of his fruitless visit to the magistrate, commenting upon Beaumont's German wife still being at home. Kramer says that he could petition the Appeals Tribunal about his situation, but there is a five to six month waiting list. Andrews remarks that it makes him wonder which side he is fighting for, but Kramer assures him that he is fighting for the right side. He tells his nephew that there is nothing the young man can do, to which Andrews replies, "We'll see about that."

Andrew Foyle sits reading in the living room of 31 Steep Lane. Foyle enters and pours them both a drink, commenting on how expensive whisky is now. Andrew expresses concern about his father being on his own, but Foyle assures him that he will be all right.

Settling into his armchair, the older man remarks that Andrew's mother would have been proud of him being a pilot. Andrew replies that she would have been worried sick.

"And I won't be?"

"Oh, you're not serious?"

"Well, you're right. I don't see why I should worry about you, it was me that got bombed. A reminder, I suppose, if I needed reminding, of how important this is – what you're doing. I mean this war, it…"

Andrew attempts to reassure him. "It'll be over by Christmas."

"Well maybe, once they know you're in the air." Foyle smiles and sips his drink. "Saturday? Still on for Saturday?"

"The river."

"The river. Well, you complained about the larder, you can help me fill it."

Andrew laughs.

Michael turner is having dinner with the Beaumonts. Greta tells her husband that, without explanation, the maid has asked to leave. She speaks about certain foods not being available in the shops and the frustration of rationing. "Twelve ounces of sugar, four ounces of butter..." She also says that when she was in the village it was as if nobody wanted to serve her. When Sarah remarks "Well, they wouldn't would they?" an uncomfortable silence follows. Turner eventually breaks it by commenting that there is a rumour that the price of petrol is to rise again by another penny ha'penny (one and a half pence). His attempt to turn the conversation in a different direction fails as Greta challenges Sarah about her comment and a spat ensues, during which Sarah tells Greta that she is the enemy. Greta flounces out, and Sarah's father orders his daughter to go after her and apologise.

Sarah goes, but she asks Greta why she is doing all she can to spoil her happiness, and what she has against her fiancé. Greta says she doesn't trust him and that he's not right for her. Sarah asks if she thinks Turner is after her money, and Greta replies in the affirmative.

Sarah rejoins, "Well, perhaps that makes two of you. In three weeks the two of us are getting married and that's an end of it."

Greta says with determination, "No, Sarah, that will not happen, I promise you." And as Michael Turner enters the room, she adds, "I will not let you marry that man!"

Early next morning, Foyle is in the kitchen of his home, reading a newspaper article about a man called Paul Milner who left the police force to join the army and was very badly wounded in Norway. He is interrupted by Sam arriving to drive him to work. She waits in the hallway while he gets ready, and as he dons his jacket she remarks on the quality of several watercolours on the wall. He explains sadly that his late wife painted them.

Foyle has Sam drive him to the hospital to see Paul Milner. Foyle tells the doctor that he knew Milner in peacetime when he was a detective sergeant. The doctor explains that the man has lost the lower part of his left leg. Foyle was hoping to speak with him, but the doctor says it might not be possible, the physical injuries not being the only problem. When the two men reach Milner's bed they find him asleep and Foyle decides not to disturb him.

Greta is out riding. She is going towards a copse where, ahead of her and unseen, someone is stringing a thin wire tautly between two trees. She encounters the wire at a gallop and it slices into her neck, the force of it throwing her backwards to the ground. Her white horse, now sprayed with blood, gallops on until it reaches the manor.

Some time later, Beaumont receives DCS Foyle at the manor. Foyle learns that the magistrate is an old friend of Summers, which explained why the AC had instructed him to look into Greta's disappearance. He also learns that Greta is Beaumont's second wife. When he asks for her maiden name, Beaumont reluctantly gives it as Greta Anna Hauptmann. Foyle inquires about her classification. Beaumont is again unhappy, but explains that she went before a tribunal in February and was given 'C' status because she was not considered dangerous, and was also classified as a refugee from Nazi oppression.

Foyle expresses surprise that Greta hasn't been moved. "The Security Executive moved all non-interned enemy aliens from coastal areas, the only exemptions being those under 16 and over 60." Beaumont is cross and says that his wife is exempted because she has severe angina. Foyle comments that he would not have thought that riding was the wisest thing for her to have been doing. There is a knock at the door. A policeman enters the room; it is obvious that he is not the bearer of good news.

Foyle goes to the scene of Greta's death and finds that on the trunk of one of the trees to which the wire was attached, a Swastika has been carved.

Returning to the manor, Foyle questions Sarah in gentle tones, asking if she saw her mother-in-law leave. Sarah says that she didn't, as she went out early to walk the dog and didn't go anywhere near the area. On being asked how she knew where it happened, she replies that Greta always took the same bridal paths. "All I meant was that I didn't go that way. You don't think I had anything to do with it, do you?" Foyle smiles enigmatically. Sarah admits that she and Greta didn't get on because they didn't like each other, and says it was no secret.

At this point Turner bursts into the room, looking for Sarah. He reacts angrily when Sarah tells him who Foyle is and that he has virtually accused her of being involved in Greta's death. Foyle says quietly that he is not accusing anyone of anything, and asks Turner who he is. Sarah gives his name, and says that he used to be the family solicitor, and that they are to marry. Foyle asks Turner what he does now, and when Turner replies that he is with the Operation Intelligence Centre at the Admiralty in London, inquires politely what sort of work it is. Turner replies that the information is classified.

Foyle then asks the man if he is staying at the house. Turner says that he isn't, explaining that Sarah's father does not approve of the two being under the same roof before they are wed. He says he's staying at the Bell, adding that he was there all morning. When Foyle seeks to know if he was on his own, Sarah makes a remark in a tone that he finds flippant in the circumstances. He tells her so quite firmly, but then relaxes back into his gentle questioning, by which he learns that Turner went out for a short stroll at about nine o'clock, unseen, and then returned to his room. Turner admits that he and Greta did not get on well. "I don't know why, but she seemed to take against me from the moment Sarah and I got engaged."

Foyle asks the two how they met. Sarah begins to answer, "Funnily enough, Greta introduced us…" but Turner interrupts: "Mrs Beaumont came to London. She was interested in the family trust. This house and quite a large sum of money are in trust to Sarah until she marries. She didn't like that. … She asked me to look into it and that was when I met Sarah. It was love at first sight." Sarah expresses her opinion that Greta's murder has nothing to do with the trust but was someone from the village exacting revenge for the bomb. Turner asks her about the soldier from the village who called at the manor. She gives his name and says he was underkeeper on the estate before he enlisted. Foyle makes a mental note of the information.

Sam drives Foyle to see Mark Andrews at the Kramers' cottage in which he is staying. As she pulls the car to a stop, Foyle prepares to step out, saying that he'll be a couple of minutes. Sam immediately asks if she can come in. Foyle closes his eyes in exasperation for a moment, then looking straight at her, says a very definite "No!"

Andrews complains about the treatment meted out to his uncle and aunt, saying that there is one law for the rich and one for the poor. He wonders cynically how much it cost to get Greta Beaumont a "C" registration. Foyle mentions the tribunal, but Andrews counters with the fact that Beaumont is a magistrate with friends in high places. Foyle points out that the reason Greta was allowed to stay at the manor was because she very ill, but Andrews challenges with "Says who?"

He tells Foyle that, when he went for help, Beaumont sent him packing and he had not been back. He says that he has been in the cottage all day packing up to return to his unit in Aldershot.

As Sam drives Foyle to his next call, she asks him if he thinks Greta was killed because of what happened in the village, and mentions the Swastika carved into the tree near the body. Foyle replies that the carving could have been left as a distraction or by someone who came upon the body afterwards. He explains that piano wire across the road is something local defence volunteers are taught to do in the event of a German invasion. Sam comments on Tracey's father being in the ARP and Foyle remarks on the fact that it was he who reported the Kramers to the authorities, adding "Small world."

The car stops outside the small greengrocery where Ray Pritchard works, and Foyle goes in to talk to the young man. Pritchard tells him that he has not seen Greta Beaumont, as he has been working all day. Foyle asks him what he meant about knowing all about Judd, the comment he made in the pub on the day of the bombing. Pritchard explains that the barmaid was seventeen, under the legal age to work in a pub. He says he doesn't trust Judd and tells Foyle that he saw his being given a lot of money by Michael Turner, much more than the cost of bed and breakfast. Foyle looks thoughtful. Pritchard queries why he is spending time on investigating the killing of a German woman, saying, "One more dead German. Who gives a damn?"

Dr Groves has called to see Beaumont. He is worried because he has learned that that Foyle has ordered a full post-mortem on Greta. "You know what you have to do. We can't afford to have this man breathing down our necks."

Foyle interviews Turner at the Bell. Turner admits to seeing Tracey since early in the year. He says that he is madly in love with Sarah, but "I'm a man like any other and being banned from the house…" He claims that he gave Tracey ten bob now and again and she was happy with the arrangement, and that he wasn't being blackmailed, it was just that when Judd found out, the price of the room went up.

Outside the pub Judd tells Foyle that Tracey was a nice girl and it wasn't unusual for girls of her age to be working in bars: "These days you just turn a blind eye." He grins and comments about her arrangement with Turner, that there was no harm in her earning a few extra bob. When asked how he found out about it, he replies that around ten one night in early March he saw Tracey get into the back seat of Turner's car with him.

Foyle works late at his desk, having told Sam that he will walk home. He telephones a number in Whitehall and asks a friend to find some information for him on Greta Anna Hauptmann. Putting down the telephone, he pulls his typewriter towards him and begins to type up his case notes.

The next day Foyle visits Milner in the hospital, greeting him with a smile and addressing him as "sergeant", the rank he had held in the police force before enlisting. Milner recalls that Foyle had once asked him to work with him but he had declined. He tells him about what he has been through and that he is to be given a prosthetic limb. To his surprise, the DCS says that he needs an assistant and has come again to ask Milner to work with him.

"I'm sorry, sir, I'm not quite myself any more. I don't think I'd be of much good to you."

"Well, I think I should be the judge of that. Unless, of course, you've got other plans. I mean, if you intend to spend the rest of the war in bed weaving raffia baskets."

"I haven't thought about the rest of the war!"

"I think you should."

Foyle gives Milner papers and photographs, explaining that they relate to a case on which he would appreciate another point of view. Milner expresses surprise that the DCS has typed the case notes himself. In response, Foyle smiles and reiterates that he requires assistance. Milner says he will look at the reports as he has nothing else to do.

Late that night, Ian Judd is walking down a dark lane when a car comes up on him from behind. He runs but is chased and knocked down. Lying badly injured and unable to move, he can do nothing as the car stops and the driver climbs out and walks towards him.

Saturday morning. Foyle and his son are fly fishing on the river. Andrew waits with a net as his father casts. He looks bored.

"You know, I never did quite work out the attraction of spending half a day ankle deep in mud in pursuit of a fish too stupid to even come near us."

"Andrew," Foyle again loops his line out over the water, "just never underestimate the intelligence of a trout. And they can hear you from forty feet away, so do be quiet."

Later that day, as Andrew prepares to leave, Foyle hands him some banknotes, saying that it's a little "spending money". Andrew, touched, accepts and tells his father that he'll miss him. Foyle is obviously unhappy to see his son go, but he doesn't have time to dwell on his thoughts, because as Andrew's taxi departs, the Wolseley arrives and Sam reports another death.

Standing by Judd's body lying in the road, Sam asks how he was killed. Foyle replies that he has hit by something, possibly a rock or a car. As the two walk to the nearby Bell, Sam remarks. "He lived over the pub. He had rooms. These are his keys." She hands them to a surprised Foyle, saying that she took them from Judd's pocket. Her boss is impressed. "Oh, well done!"

In the pub, they search the landlord's rooms. Inside the chimney of a small fireplace Foyle finds a metal box containing over £200 in notes. When he and Sam return to the car, Sam notices something on the dashboard that she has forgotten, and hands her boss an official looking envelope. This time Foyle is far from impressed and expresses annoyance when he realises the envelope contains the post-mortem report on Greta Beaumont.

The Wolseley arrives at Beaumont's house just as Dr Groves is leaving to attend the funeral of Tracey Stephens. After Foyle verifies that Groves was Greta's doctor, he asks why he diagnosed her as having severe angina when the post-mortem showed that she was healthy. Groves tells him that he is trespassing on doctor-patient confidentiality, and will not answer. Foyle says that he can obtain a copy of the medical report in twenty-four hours and Groves tells him that is what he will have to do, and walks off.

Foyle joins the mourners at Tracey's funeral as they gather for tea in the church after the interment. He speaks to Tracey's father, who tells him that his daughter and Pritchard would have been married within a year. Stephens becomes angry, declaring that he hates the Germans and Greta got what was coming to her. "She didn't belong here. And out flouting the law as much as she liked: riding, driving her car, doing as she pleased!" As Foyle leaves the gathering, he remarks to Sam, "She drove."

Foyle returns to the manor but goes straight to the garage. Sarah finds him looking around inside it and when he asks her about the car parked there, she tells him that it is her father's but has not been out of the garage for three months. When Foyle points out recent tyre tracks on the garage floor, she explains that the gardener takes it out to clean it.

They return to the house where Foyle asks about the family trust. Sarah explains that the house and land passes to the first in line on their marriage and Greta was very unhappy about it. She had gone to London to the solicitors and brought Turner back to work on the papers. Foyle ascertains that Sarah began go out with Turner in the spring.

Beaumont comes in and when Foyle tells him about the murder of Ian Judd, says that Greta knew him and couldn't stand him. After Foyle leaves, Beaumont looks thoughtful and says, "Time he moved on."

Foyle is summoned to see AC Summers, who complains crossly that he has persisted in submitting transfer requests: "Half a dozen more the very day you left this office!" Calming down, he then says that after due reflection he has decided that accede. A senior position in the Cabinet Office has come up, reporting directly to General Ismay. Foyle's expression is a mixture of interest and suspicion, especially when told that he is to report to Ismay first thing next day. He clicks his tongue and says that he cannot start yet as he is investigating a murder. Summers is aghast and tells him sternly to send the case notes on the German woman to him. When Foyle tells him that he cannot stop now, Summers becomes very angry – he has offered Foyle exactly what he requested, what does one murder matter? "You want me to tell General Ismay you're busy?"

"I'd like you to ask him to wait."

Summers sneers. "I doubt that is a possibility."

Foyle replies, "Then I'm sorry."

He rises and goes to the door, but pauses as Summers issues a stern warning. "Foyle, if you go out of that door you will remain a policeman not just for the duration of the war but until the day you retire. You won't get a second chance."

Foyle takes a little time to consider his response. He turns back to face his superior and, speaking quietly but deliberately, says that the German woman was protected by influential friends: she was fully fit, but the family doctor lied about her medical condition to prevent her internment. When Summers asks if he has arrested the doctor Foyle says he has not because he was only a part of it. In Beaumont's position he would find it very easy to expect favours. Greta went before a tribunal and was given "C" registration. She was also classified as a refugee from Nazi oppression, but she was not exactly a classic refugee, having two brothers still in Germany – one having served under von Falconhorst in Norway and the other still being a ranking officer in the Abver in Berlin. She should have been interned immediately.

"And the committee that gave her "C" registration must have been blind, idiotic, corrupt - or all three." The AC's expression becomes grave when Foyle adds, "But of course you know all this, don't you? Because you were the chairman of the committee."

Summers takes a moment before responding with a plea. "Foyle… we can work this out."

Quietly, Foyle replies, "Well, I don't think so." He exits, leaving his superior stewing in his own juice.

Foyle visits Thomas Kramer in the internment camp, explaining that he has arranged a special dispensation for him and he can now go home. He says that what happened to Kramer and his wife was wrong and he is very sorry. Kramer asks if he doesn't think it is too late. "Well, Mr Kramer, we're at war and there are going to be casualties, and some of them are going to be innocent like your wife. I couldn't do anything to help her, but I can do something to help you." Foyle casts an eye over the depressing surroundings. "Do you want to leave, or don't you?"

"I want to leave."

On the journey back it is Foyle who begins a conversation with Sam. "D'you know, Sam, I think we got it wrong."

"The case?"

"No - enemy aliens."

"I was reading the Mail. They were saying that Norway would never have fallen if it hadn't been for the Germans inside the country - quislings and people like that."

Foyle replies with a little sneer of disapproval. "The Mail… huh."

"Well it makes you think, doesn't it?"

"Well, Fleet Street would rather you didn't think, that's the whole point. I mean, these people have fled their own country a step ahead of concentration camps and God knows what. They've had to give up everything – their homes, their possessions – and if getting out of a country is hard enough, getting into another one in even worse. They have to be sponsored, there's the British Consul, port immigration, tribunals, the local police, and when they finally do settle down, what do we do? We arrest them and lock them up again!"

"Would you have helped Greta Beaumont?"

"Well, I wouldn't have broken the law."

The car pulls up outside the hospital and Foyle goes in to see Milner. He finds him sitting up in bed reading something very lightweight. Milner says his wife was going to bring in something better but had forgotten, adding ruefully that today she forgot to come at all. Foyle asks about the case notes. Milner queries if he needs help or just feels sorry for him and Foyle replies that he does not have time for charity.

Milner shares his thoughts on the case. What did Mrs Beaumont have against Michael Turner? If there was something she didn't like about him, why didn't she come out and say what it was? Was it about money? Milner says he believes that the key is Greta and Turner. He mentions Ian Judd and Foyle confirms that Greta had something against him, too. Milner wonders about how she knew him. Judd saw Turner with Tracey, so maybe Judd went to Greta with what he'd seen outside the pub. He asks, "Was there a moon that night?"

Foyle returns to the manor find out more about the family trust. He wants to know when Greta started to make enquiries and is told October or November last year. He learns that she spent a lot of time on it with Turner before he joined the Admiralty. Beaumont is annoyed when Foyle asks if he and his wife had separate banking arrangements, but says that she did have a personal allowance and another for housekeeping. He also confirms that she asked for more money several times. Foyle begins to leave, but pauses to ask, "How did you get Dr Groves to lie about your wife?" Beaumont reluctantly replies that he paid him. Foyle asks about Summers and is told that the two men are long-term friends. In response to a final question about knowing of Greta's two brothers, he replies that he did, but Greta wasn't the enemy and loving her as he did, he would do it again.

Foyle visits Admiralty HQ and is kept waiting before seeing Turner, who asks, "So what can I do for you?"

Foyle considers his approach and then says, "Well, you could tell me the truth."

"I thought I already had."

"No, you were lying."

The DCS smiles. Turner recognises knowledge in his expression and says that he will come clean. He admits that Judd was blackmailing him, but says he was willing to pay. Foyle tells him that he is still lying and Judd had lied to him, too: the landlord could not have seen who got into the car because there was a blackout and no moon. Turner did not even know Tracey, but he knew was that she had been killed and could not answer for herself, so he used her. But she was not that sort of girl. "Everything you said about her was a desecration."

Foyle goes on to say that Turner told Judd to say he had seen Tracey and Judd agreed because he could extort more when Turner became wealthy through marriage. Judd knew whom Turner had really met in the car park – Greta, and he had been blackmailing her, too. Turner had first met her in October, five months before he met Sarah, which is why he had interrupted when Sarah began to tell about it. When Turner dumped her and prepared to take everything from her she found out what sort of person he really was. She did not want the marriage to go ahead, perhaps caring more for Sarah than anybody thought and prepared to destroy her own marriage to save her. She threatened once too often, so Turner killed her, placing the Swastika as a diversion. He did not want to spend the rest of his life paying Judd, so he killed him too.

Turner realises that Foyle knows all, but tells him that there is something he must take into consideration before making an arrest. There is only a small number of people at OIC and the work is vital to the war effort. The Royal Navy is using antiquated manual cipher tables; there is no air reconnaissance or RDF. The OIC is putting together a crypt analysis service that will give advance warning of German fleet movements. "Yes, I admit I killed her. It was just like you said… But have you any idea how important I am to the work we're doing here? I'm actually leading the team here... What good is it going to do taking me out of here and throwing me in prison? What good is it going to do hanging me? It would set back our work here months! And that could cost us another ship, hundreds of lives. Are you ready to have that on your conscience, Detective Chief Superintendent? Is it really worth the price?"

Foyle contemplates, but says nothing. After another long silence Turner continues. "She was only a German woman…" Foyle winces at the remark. He mentions Judd and Turner almost shrugs as he replies that the man was a blackmailer. Turner takes a deep breath. "You have to take the wider view. This is war." Foyle says nothing, as he wrestles with Turner's reasoning.

As Sam pulls the Wolseley into the car park of the hospital, she asks Foyle, "Are they going to hang him?"

"Probably."

"Do you mind if I ask you a question? Weren't you tempted to let him go?"

Foyle's expression indicates that he had not found easy the decision to arrest Turner. "Yes, er… yes, I was. Hanging him is… is not going to do anybody much good. And he had a point, I suppose, but, um… I'm a policeman. I'm here to do a job, simple as that. If I start bending the rules I might as well pack it in."

As the two alight from the car, Sam comments, "Yes, but she was a German."

"Well, the war doesn't make any difference at all. She was a human being; she was murdered. Murder is murder. You stop believing that and we might as well not be fighting the war, because you end up like the Nazis."

Milner comes out of the hospital, walking with the aid of crutches. Foyle greets him with "Morning, sergeant! Thought you might like a lift." He smiles and with a little movement of his head, indicates the Wolseley, then turns and walks back to the car. Sam and Milner follow.

6-1-14 Edited to make small correction.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Return to Series 1