Rationing

Rationing

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:46 pm

On Twitter, historian Paul Feeney reports that on this day - 26th September - in 1953, sugar rationing ended in Britain.

I knew that many items continued to be rationed for a while after the war - but eight years!
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Re: Rationing

Postby ayresorchids » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:32 pm

Celebrate today with plenty of sugary things, in honour of poor deprived Sam!
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby Sunshine » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:23 pm

ayresorchids wrote:Celebrate today with plenty of sugary things, in honour of poor deprived Sam!

Just what I was thinking!!!! :samkiss:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:43 pm

I can't - I'm a diabetic. :sad:
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Janewilts » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:41 pm

In regards to rationing, there is an interesting article in The Daily Telegraph today. It is an article from the paper published Feb 1945 about the poultry black market as discussed in Parliament.
Put me in mind of the episode Bleak Midwinter especially and also of Elise.
Quote: It can be seen at every market.....The Ministry's inspectors know what happens and it has been going on for four years. The farmer goes to market with live birds and persons come along who are supposed to be stock breeders ..........the bird is subject to signature and the person who purchases it signs that he will take it home and use it for stock breeding purposes. But 99 per cent of those who buy have no such intention"

Butchers were campaigning to to have restriction removed on poultry because it was either ending up in hotels or the black market and members of the public we're not getting their fair share.
Well at least Sam got hers in The Bleak Midwinter :samkiss:
Janewilts

Postby Sunshine » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:54 pm

Good to know. Thanks Janewilts! :thumbsup:

I love the turkey sequence in "Bleak Midwinter." I had a ball writing a sequel a few holiday seasons ago. It's called "Lunch" and is in the FW fanfic section:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=46
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:35 pm

Sunshine wrote:I love the turkey sequence in "Bleak Midwinter."

For publication in a December 2004 issue of the TV Times, ITV's TV listings magazine, Anthony Horowitz wrote a short FW story, titled Foyle's Festive Dilemma, It's all about Sam having designs on a black-market turkey that is being held in the Hastings police station as evidence. The Bleak Midwinter episode will have been written in 2006. Can a writer be accused of plagiarising his own work? :D
Lynnedean

Postby Anglophile » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:23 pm

Lynnedean wrote: The Bleak Midwinter episode will have been written in 2006. Can a writer be accused of plagiarising his own work? :D

I thought the same thing when I read it, Lynne. :rofl: But it's such a cute storyline, I'll forgive him!
"Why have you brought us to shelter in the fuel dump, Andrew?"
Anglophile

Postby Wolesley » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:16 pm

The end of all rationing didn't come until July of 1954:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/date ... 818563.stm

This article gives a brief outline of what was rationed during the War, and what was de-rationed post-war. Very interesting.

If you click on the right side bottom link, "WWII Children: the Rationing Challenge," there are some 'fun' interactive games to play and learn about what rationing was like. I enjoyed them. :samgrin:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby HarperCurls » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:02 pm

Lynnedean wrote:On Twitter, historian Paul Feeney reports that on this day - 26th September - in 1953, sugar rationing ended in Britain.

I knew that many items continued to be rationed for a while after the war - but eight years!

What came as a surprise to me when I first became interested in WW2 was that the USA had rationing at all! All the TV and films show the apparent ease with which GIs distribute sweets, nylons etc. Came as quite a shock.
"... you'll want to help Samantha butter those scones."
HarperCurls

Postby HarrietVane » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:45 pm

HarperCurls wrote:
Lynnedean wrote:On Twitter, historian Paul Feeney reports that on this day - 26th September - in 1953, sugar rationing ended in Britain.

What came as a surprise to me when I first became interested in WW2 was that the USA had rationing at all! All the TV and films show the apparent ease with which GIs distribute sweets, nylons etc. Came as quite a shock.

At least some of US rationing was indirect - for example, gasoline was rationed not so much because it was in short supply as because rubber for tires was in even shorter supply! Some of the food rationing was also for the purpose of reducing the amount of gas and rubber used in transporting food stores around the US.

American soldiers in Europe would have more canned goods than civilians back in the US because rationing reserved most canned goods for military use. And US sugar rations were, I think, princely compared to UK ones! I don't know whether real-life GIs could chuck nylons around with such abandon, though.
HarrietVane

Postby kitchenwonder » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:39 pm

Considering rationing in the US, the Ames (Iowa) Historical Society has some interesting information on its website: http://www.ameshistory.org/exhibits/ration_items.htm

The following are in the list of rationed goods in the US: Tires, Cars, Bicycles, Gasoline, Fuel Oil & Kerosene, Solid Fuels, Stoves, Rubber Footwear, Shoes, Sugar, Coffee, Processed Foods, Meats, Canned Fish, Cheese, Canned Milk, Fats, and Typewriters.

Generally, rationing lasted through the period from January 1942 to December 1945. However, sugar was rationed from
May 1942 to 1947. :rose:
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Postby annebronterocks » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:08 pm

I remember learning from a documentary that the rationing of sugar and sweets ended about the time of Queen Elizabeth II's coronation, which took place on June 2nd, 1953. One woman recalled that her mother baked a cake for the occasion, and stuck smarties all over the frosting. She said (and there was still awe in her voice all these years later) that she had never seen so many smarties in one place before in her life.
annebronterocks

Return to The Post-war Period