[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - IG Farben and the Nazis

IG Farben and the Nazis

IG Farben and the Nazis

Postby starlight » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:51 pm

Here are my findings on the IG Farben situation, as featured in S9E1 High Castle.

Utterly scandalous, but barely surprising given the unholy combination of a power-crazed industrialist mentality shaken up in a bag with twisted Nazi objectives.

In a nutshell, IG Farben financed the Nazis' rise to power and helped keep them there.

German industrialists first expressed a taste for world domination in a pre-WWI vision, outlined in 1904 by Carl Duisberg, the head of Bayer, for the German pharmaceuticals industry to achieve a worldwide monopoly. This fell flat on its face with Germany’s defeat in 1918. But the German pharmaceuticals cartel came back for a second go, in the form of a plan by Bayer, BASF and Hoechst (known collectively as IG Farben) to take control of all pharmaceutical, chemical and petrochemical patent rights in a Europe under Nazi rule, and to implement a common currency and appeals court (sound familiar?).

Well before the war started, as a first step towards establishing Nazi rule in Germany, the German pharmaceutical giant IG Farben invested 40 million Reichsmarks in the Nazi election campaign (this investment in the Nazi political machine eventually rose to 80 million). The day after the burning of the Reichstag in 1933, IG Farben paid 400,000 Reichsmarks directly into Nazi coffers as a ‘well done’, effectively financing the fall of democracy in Germany. Six months later, in October, IG Farben director Hermann Schmitz was in Munich, being feted by Adolf Hitler.

In 1936, IG Farben, whose headquarters were actually in Frankfurt, moved physically closer to the source of political power when they set up a politburo in Berlin, the better to liaise with the Nazi power base.

Auschwitz-Monowitz concentration camp was built entirely by IG Farben, and specifically to provide slave labour for their pharmaceuticals complex at Auschwitz, the largest industrial chemicals plant of its day (it covered 24 square kilometres).

Bayer pharmaceuticals were tested on inmates of the camp - and the testing was not, as previously thought, conceived and instigated by the ‘unscrupulous SS’. The practice was agreed with Bayer and IG Farben, who subsequently filed related patent specifications.

24 IG Farben executives were indicted for violation of human rights at the Nuremberg Trials in 1947. Those convicted served laughably short sentences.

40,000 pages of evidence used at the Nuremberg Trials remained buried in the German national archives until last year, when they were made available on the Internet.

Sources
http://www.ostufer.net/de/news/videos/1 ... it-politik
http://www.eu-facts.org/en/background/d ... cture.html

Starlight :rose:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Re: IG Farben and the Nazis

Postby mahtra » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:07 pm

If I remember correctly Zyklon B - the agent used in the gas chambers - was actually produced by IG Farben.
Source: various history lessons at school, Yad Vashem and the guide in Auschwitz.
mahtra

Postby starlight » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:13 pm

starlight

Postby starlight » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:12 pm

starlight

Postby Anglophile » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:13 pm

This is fascinating stuff!! After the war, my grandfather actually worked at the IG Farben building in Frankfurt - it was never bombed because Eisenhower wanted to use the building as his HQ.
I grew up knowing the name IG Farben but I'd never heard this before. Wow.
"Why have you brought us to shelter in the fuel dump, Andrew?"
Anglophile

Return to The Post-war Period