How I went to war with Foyle

High Castle (1946); Trespass (1947); Elise (1947)

How I went to war with Foyle

Postby bee » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:33 pm

Nice article by AH about the series and the new season: :thumbsup:

http://www.lady.co.uk/people/features/3 ... with-foyle
There is no one else...
bee

Re: How I went to war with Foyle

Postby starlight » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:54 pm

Why has Foyle’s War been so successful and lasted so long? I’d like to say that it’s the quality of the writing but the truth, I’m afraid, is probably more to do with Michael Kitchen’s central performance – and his relationship with Honeysuckle Weeks, who has become a star in her own right as his long-standing driver, Sam. Michael was our first and only choice for the part of Foyle when we first conceived it and has carefully developed the character over the years. This year (and this is exclusive to The Lady) you can see a much more personal story developing around Christopher Foyle. A love interest? I wouldn’t go quite that far… and anyway, my lips are sealed.

So three scripts, two drafts and then I’m heading for the sun. My work is done and if an anachronistic vehicle happens to rumble through a shot, please don’t tell me. It’s not my fault!

Oh dear oh! The man is clearly knackered/jaded/shoving the script across the table/not-my-baby-any-more relieved. The tone is an almost comical "I'm-just-the-indentured-slave" :rofl:

Thanks for the detective work, Bee.

Starlight :rose:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby amiga » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:06 pm

Thank, Bee

I hate when AH says he doesn't want to write anymore FW. One of these days, he just might mean it.

CF's personal story sounds intriguing. I'm guessing MK nixed the love interest. :sad:

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby beingmissy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:04 pm

amiga wrote:CF's personal story sounds intriguing. I'm guessing MK nixed the love interest. :sad:

Oh, I hope not. Fingers crossed :biggrin:
beingmissy

Postby vicky » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:00 pm

Thanks, Bee, for another nice piece of detective work. It's an interesting article
and gives us some idea of the stories covered by this next series.
vicky

Postby BookwormKate » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:02 pm

Thanks for this, Bee! Great article, and the episodes sound interesting! Hope poor AH gets a rest...so he can rally and write even more FW :wink:

Nice to read a bit of backstory, and hopefully Liverpool proves successful for their filming. A more personal story around Foyle - well that will be interesting to see! I recently watched 'The Hide' again, and it is great to see Foyle in a different light. Maybe Andrew will return? I wonder how Sam will play into the story if Foyle is traipsing all around Nuremberg...perhaps the new development centres around Foyle getting a new investigative partner?

Something to chew over until we hear more from AH. Thanks again, Bee!
"You could do with a good chat then..."
BookwormKate

Postby ayresorchids » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:14 pm

POSSIBLE SPOILERS
(for Sherlock)

Well, we saw Andrew Scott's evil Moriarty die last season, so is there any reason he can't return as James Devereaux and hang out with, maybe even work with Foyle/mebbe Dad? He has done intelligence work...

[mumbles] 'Course, we also thought we saw Sherlock Holmes die...

:foyle3:
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby mohairMK » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:12 am

ayresorchids wrote:
we saw Andrew Scott's evil Moriarty die last season, so is there any reason he can't return as James Devereaux and hang out with, maybe even work with Foyle/mebbe Dad? He has done intelligence work... :foyle3:

That's my hope! I absolutely LOVE the James Devereaux character, and would love to see interplay between him, Foyle, and possibly Andrew. "The Hide" is my favorite FW episode!

Love interest would be nice to see, but I don't think it's going to happen...

mohairMK
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby amiga » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:04 pm

mohairMK wrote:
That's my hope! I absolutely LOVE the James Devereaux character, and would love to see interplay between him, Foyle, and possibly Andrew. "The Hide" is my favorite FW episode!

Love interest would be nice to see, but I don't think it's going to happen...

mohairMK

Thought I read somewhere that AH said that storyline would not be revisited. Think MK felt the same. I would love to see that relationship develop. Thought the last episodes needed a CF personal storyline. I loved every scene with CF and Andrew. Maybe they've reconsidered James.

From what AH said in that last interview we will see something personal, but seems he's now backtracking on the "gentle romance". I have no doubt that MK edited that right out. :sad:

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby starlight » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:32 pm

amiga wrote:Thought I read somewhere that AH said that storyline would not be revisited. Think MK felt the same. I would love to see that relationship develop. Thought the last episodes needed a CF personal storyline. I loved every scene with CF and Andrew. Maybe they've reconsidered James.
Amiga

You did. Lynne posted that, quoting an answer she got from AH. On the other hand, you probably also read AH claiming that Series X was going to be his last. And we are now up to Series X+n. So I wouldn't set too much store by any of it. :D Fortunately!
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Sunshine » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:23 am

No romance, huh? Oh, Mr. Kitchen, you're such a party pooper! :eyeroll: :foyle3:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Englishfan » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:12 am

AH is never at a loss for words while Mr. Kitchen prefers to only utter words from the script!

I think that what they have in common is 25 years of marriage each! As well as talent that overfloweth in their respective fields. We are so fortunate to have them working together.

I liked this in AH's comments:

OK – last year we accidentally allowed a Routemaster bus to pass through one shot 10 years before it was introduced. The Sunday Times must have published a dozen letters on the subject, which was pretty galling after all our hard work. Somebody, somewhere, made a wrong decision. Get over it!

Totally agree with that. After all their hard work and gift to us with such profound characters and acting, we can close our eyes when a non-invented bus passes by.

These new episodes sound amazing. I can see how it would be difficult to keep from being depressing. After the war dust settles, we do really see the casualties of that war. I hope there is a softening of some kind for CF to counter that part of the story. Maybe the softening will be CF babysitting for Sam's baby! And you on the other side of the Pond will know before we do!

Bee...thanks so much for sharing this. How in the world do we miss things that are out there, like the sailing article that was there for years before discovered on the forum, though? I would seriously like to know. Thought maybe you would know, Bee, how we can miss those things since you are my number one sleuth on the forum.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby amiga » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:34 am

I agree with AH and EF. It must be very disheartening to work so hard on a show, have it acclaimed for its accuracy, and then a few things slip through the cracks and that's what is talked about. When you watch The Making of Foyle's War and you see the incredible amount of work and research that goes into it, it is truly an incredible show.

I also find it amazing how things don't show up, as I know some of us research things constantly. Where was the sailing article hiding, where was Rowena's column hiding for five years??? Frustrating, but it gives me hope that there are some other wonderful things lurking out there just waiting to be found.

Amiga
amiga

Postby mohairMK » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:16 am

amiga wrote:You did. Lynne posted that, quoting an answer she got from AH. On the other hand, you probably also read AH claiming that Series X was going to be his last. And we are now up to Series X+n. So I wouldn't set too much store by any of it. :D Fortunately!

Hadn't gotten over to see that part of the forum yet, so thanks for that update. I still would like to see the James character come back, but fanfic may be the only way!

From the comments I have been reading from AH, he really sounds tired of writing Foyle' War, which I desperately hope is not the case. I know he has a lot on his plate, so maybe it was just overload talking. Perhaps we can contact him and give him encouragement to continue writing Foyle's War? How would we do that?

mohairMK
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Return to Series 9 (January 2015)