Corner for spoilers for "Elise"

High Castle (1946); Trespass (1947); Elise (1947)

Corner for spoilers for "Elise"

Postby Sunshine » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:18 am

If anyone wants to give us some morsels, y'know....... :foyle4: :samkiss:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Re: Corner for spoilers for "Elise"

Postby fe » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:11 am

I think I enjoy the spoilers even more than the episodes themselves...*hint *hint :toetap: :samkiss:
fe

Postby starlight » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:45 am

Hilda gets shot and survives. :rofl:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby fe » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:55 am

Tease :foyle5:
fe

Postby Wolesley » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:39 am

My 24-year-old son watched it with me (knowing how emotionally invested I would be, and offering support!), and at the end - he said the episode was "badass!" :rofl:

That's all I'm saying.
Too verklempt to offer spoilers at the moment.

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby mohairMK » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:00 am

Wolesley wrote:My 24-year-old son watched it with me (knowing how emotionally invested I would be, and offering support!), and at the end - he said the episode was "badass!" :rofl:

Agree totally with your son! I would even go as far as to say the episode was 'explosive'. :foyle5:
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby ayresorchids » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:01 am

Even though I was watching alone, when I realized what was about to happen, I covered my face with my hands and said aloud, "omigoshohnohno!"
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby mohairMK » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:21 am

ayresorchids wrote:Even though I was watching alone, when I realized what was about to happen, I covered my face with my hands and said aloud, "omigoshohnohno!"

Me too! When she put her hand out on the table...my hands flew up to my face and I said the same thing! OH MY GOSH!! :eek:
mohairMK

Postby starlight » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:31 am

Spoiler enough for you, fe?
starlight

Postby starlight » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:52 am

Okay: first instalment. THE PLOT.

(some of this might be severely paraphrased) :wink:

Hilda gets shot. Phew. Not dead. One bullet dissolved on entry, the other exited screaming. But hey, that’s Hilda.

Cut to Myerson, Foyle and Val. “Shame about Hilda, but THIS is your priority, Foyle: a low-life called Damian White” White is a former spiv who hides behind a legit business. Black market ciggies by the million, you name it, he nicks it and pushes it under the counter. He’s smug and he’s rich and he’s getting richer, and this country is going to the dogs because of chappies like him.

Foyle: “Why him in particular? Shouldn’t we be more worried about who shot our Hilda?”

“Do as you’re told, Foyle. White has bought a golf club in Surrey. One of his members is Kuznetsov.”

“Kuz who?”

“A nasty Russian. We don’t think he’s there to knock balls into holes.”

Cut to chat about Hilda. “The woman is extraordinary. She’s given her life to the service.”

At the hospital, Val and Foyle are sucking their teeth outside Hilda’s private room watching her unconscious. Foyle reckons they should put a guard on the door.

Up marches Woodhead guns blazing. How could this be allowed to happen? Why isn’t there a guard on the door?

“Wull, we were just, um, planning to...”

“Get your finger out and put a guard on the door.”

Sir Ian Woodhead is the Director of Operations of the former SOE.

Cut to Foyle and Sam at Miss Pierce’s flat. It's a bit, er, "functional". Not a lot of chintz, and severe lack of stuffed animals or personal touches.

Sam “Somehow I was expecting more...”

Foyle, “Wull, single... married to the job...”

A-hah! Foyle leafs through her diary, which seems to be about boring stuff like taking aspirin, and happens upon a photo of Woodhead, Hilda and ELIZABETH ADDIS together. A bit of mouth-quirking ensues. Well, that confirms that, then.

Sam, poking around Hilda’s kitchen, “Didn’t she ever eat anything?”

*** More later *** :geek:
starlight

Postby Samfan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:10 pm

SPOILER;

(it finally downloaded it and I watched it at 5am before getting ready for work. Something fun to think about today. I'll watch it again tonight--I always have to watch them at least 2x to get the plot--not a hardship!).

Well, when Hilda put the grenade on the table, I went "Oh, my Gosh," too, but it was more in disappointment--"Oh, come on, they're not going to kill her off, are they?"

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby HarrietVane » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:03 pm

Sam asks Foyle to be the godfather to her baby... and I'd just like to point out that this is part of the text of the charge to godparents in the Book of Common Prayer of the Church of England:

Priest: Dost thou, in the name of this Child, renounce the devil and all his works, the vain pomp and glory of the world, with all covetous desires of the same, and the carnal desires of the flesh, so that thou wilt not follow, nor be led by them?
Godparent: I renounce them all.

I think our Mr. Foyle is HIGHLY qualified for the position...
HarrietVane

Postby starlight » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:45 pm

HarrietVane wrote:Sam asks Foyle to be the godfather to her baby... and I'd just like to point out that this is part of the text of the charge to godparents in the Book of Common Prayer of the Church of England:

Priest: Dost thou, in the name of this Child, renounce the devil and all his works, the vain pomp and glory of the world, with all covetous desires of the same, and the carnal desires of the flesh, so that thou wilt not follow, nor be led by them?

That's a laugh. The kid was presumably found under a gooseberry bush?
starlight

Postby mohairMK » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:49 pm

starlight wrote:
HarrietVane wrote:Sam asks Foyle to be the godfather to her baby... and I'd just like to point out that this is part of the text of the charge to godparents in the Book of Common Prayer of the Church of England:

That's a laugh. The kid was presumably found under a gooseberry bush?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
mohairMK

Postby fe » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:12 pm

Wonderful pic, Starlight!

Managed to get my hot sticky hands on the ep and watched it last night. Very well done indeed, the best of all the Foyle post-wars, IMHO, but still doesn't resonate with me as much as the Home Front eps.
fe

Postby Wolesley » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:45 pm

Regarding Foyle's 'final' walk, my son suggested that was Foyle's equivalent to dropping the mic, like a rapper leaving the stage. :rofl:
(My son is hilarious at times.)

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby hazeleyes57 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:23 pm

Wolesley wrote:Regarding Foyle's 'final' walk, my son suggested that was Foyle's equivalent to dropping the mic, like a rapper leaving the stage. :rofl:
(My son is hilarious at times.)

Lesley

Not wishing to inject a moment of false hope (who am I kidding? Of course I do!!), but Dear Mr F's understated yet meaningful stare at Ms Addis (daughter of well known cleaning products millionaire) means, 'I am conveying a measure of interest in you so that people (aka 'fans') may assume we have a 'happy' ending, should this really be The End, but leaves things ambiguous, should by any odd miracle, Foyle's War is brought back again'. :waiting: :whistling:
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby mohairMK » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:23 am

hazeleyes57 wrote:Not wishing to inject a moment of false hope (who am I kidding? Of course I do!!), but Dear Mr F's understated yet meaningful stare at Ms Addis means, 'I am conveying a measure of interest in you so that people (aka 'fans') may assume we have a 'happy' ending, should this really be The End, but leaves things ambiguous, should by any odd miracle, Foyle's War is brought back again'.

Three cheers for 'false hopes'!!!

Perhaps not a 'happy' ending, because I believe as others have stated, that once Foyle is betrayed, he will not make the same mistake twice. But re-visiting Addis & Foyle could have a few conflicted sparks flying. :whistling: (now that she has hopefully learned her lesson...wasn't HER look full of regret?!)

Love 'ambiguous' endings, don't you? :lol:
mohairMK

Postby Samfan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:27 am

May reveal a Spoiler:

I think the character of Sir Ian Woodhead, who was the head of F section of the SOE, is based on Maurice Buckmaster, who was the real head of F section ("F" meaning France). I'm making my slow way through a book I got for Christmas: A Cool and Lonely Courage: The Untold Story of Sister Spies in Occupied France, by Susan Ottaway (Little, Brown, and Company, 2013). I just got through some chapters where Buckmaster refused to believe that one of the circuits in France had been compromised, despite much evidence.

Maybe more on this later (after I get through the book) :geek:

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby amiga » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:06 pm

mohairMK wrote:Perhaps not a 'happy' ending, because I believe as others have stated, that once Foyle is betrayed, he will not make the same mistake twice. But re-visiting Addis & Foyle could have a few conflicted sparks flying. :whistling: (now that she has hopefully learned her lesson...wasn't HER look full of regret?!)

Love 'ambiguous' endings, don't you? :lol:

I'm guessing if Foyle ever comes back, we will never hear about Addis. She will go the way of Andrew, James and Barbara Hicks.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Next

Return to Series 9 (January 2015)