S9 E1 High Castle

High Castle (1946); Trespass (1947); Elise (1947)

Re: S9 E1 High Castle

Postby Englishfan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:03 pm

Lynnedean wrote:The two men's scenes will have been filmed at different times.

Does it matter?

I liked the way it turned out.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:30 pm

Englishfan wrote:
Lynnedean wrote:The two men's scenes will have been filmed at different times.

Does it matter?

No, Englishfan, it doesn't matter, but some of us do like to note the way TV dramas are made and how scenes can be deftly knitted together to look as though they were shot at the same time. :D
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Englishfan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:05 pm

Lynnedean wrote:No, Englishfan, it doesn't matter, but some of us do like to note the way TV dramas are made and how scenes can be deftly knitted together to look as though they were shot at the same time. :D

I guess I just like to believe it's all real, and thank-you very much to whomever made me think it was!

As much as I wanted to see the filming and almost got to see it, I think it might have destroyed the story for me. Or maybe that's sour grapes since, in the end, I didn't go.

I liked the stare off!

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby Samfan » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:33 pm

Well, I just watched "High Castle." Wow, 4 dead bodies--is that a new record for dead bodies in one FW ep?

Yes, Clayton De Mar's Texan accent came and went, didn't it?

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:08 pm

And, did Sam and Adam move house? Their house interior looked nothing like it did in series 8. But, changing settings seems to be a regular occurance with FW.

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby hazeleyes57 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:27 pm

Samfan wrote:And, did Sam and Adam move house? Their house interior looked nothing like it did in series 8. But, changing settings seems to be a regular occurance with FW.

Samfan

They are no longer in the Pre-Fab. I imagine they are in rented accommodation.

Although some Pre-fab houses are still in use or preserved in museums, the program stopped in 1951 after just over 150,000 were built. Many of them were more expensive to build than bricks and mortar houses even if they were quicker to erect. I know AH wanted to have a Pre-Fab in the show, but in fact as a couple without children, Sam and Adam would not have qualified to have one anyway.
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Samfan » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:32 pm

hazeleyes57 wrote:
Samfan wrote:And, did Sam and Adam move house? Their house interior looked nothing like it did in series 8. But, changing settings seems to be a regular occurance with FW.

Samfan

They are no longer in the Pre-Fab. I imagine they are in rented accommodation.

Although some Pre-fab houses are still in use or preserved in museums, the program stopped in 1951 after just over 150,000 were built. Many of them were more expensive to build than bricks and mortar houses even if they were quicker to erect. I know AH wanted to have a Pre-Fab in the show, but in fact as a couple without children, Sam and Adam would not have qualified to have one anyway.

Thanks for the clarification, Hazeleyes!
Samfan
Samfan

Postby fe » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:38 pm

Thanks to everyone for the spoilers :thumbsup: Has anyone got a screen cap of the PHD and Foyle together that they're willing to share? I'd love to see if there's any chemistry going on between them - :mushy:
fe

Postby starlight » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:12 am

fe wrote:Thanks to everyone for the spoilers :thumbsup: Has anyone got a screen cap of the PHD and Foyle together that they're willing to share? I'd love to see if there's any chemistry going on between them - :mushy:

http://britishdetectives.tumblr.com/pos ... -have-done
http://britishdetectives.tumblr.com/pos ... e-flirting

Here are some, Fe.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Wolesley » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:16 am

Foyle *does* seem to look at Mrs. Addis as a contemporary and an equal, as they are clearly closer in age. :foyle1:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby starlight » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:24 am

Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby fe » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:30 am

starlight wrote:
fe wrote:Thanks to everyone for the spoilers :thumbsup: Has anyone got a screen cap of the PHD and Foyle together that they're willing to share? I'd love to see if there's any chemistry going on between them - :mushy:

http://britishdetectives.tumblr.com/pos ... -have-done
http://britishdetectives.tumblr.com/pos ... e-flirting

Here are some, Fe.

Brilliant, how efficient you are, Starlight! I like the second batch especially, and Foyle's little tight-lipped smile - you can see he is warming to her, but still holding back, not quite sure ...
fe

Re: S9 E1 High Castle * SPOILER *

Postby kitchentease » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:29 am

The interaction between Foyle and PhD when she finds him in Knowles' office is definitely reminiscent of the scenes with Barbara Hicks, although Foyle isn't quite so nonplussed this time. His "Bye" as they part company (immediately following the final GIF in BritDetectives flirting post) is pretty firm though. Her history as an advisor on the Middle East sets her up perfectly for showing up again in Episode 2 - should be fun!
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby Englishfan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:36 am

I'm really hopeful about these two! I like the chemistry!

I hope the funeral in the last episode does not involve the PhD, if you follow my drift.

I like these two as a couple. I do. Wish they'd say that: I do! :hug:

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby HarrietVane » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:38 am

kitchentease wrote:The interaction between Foyle and PhD when she finds him in Knowles' office is definitely reminiscent of the scenes with Barbara Hicks, although Foyle isn't quite so nonplussed this time. His "Bye" as they part company (immediately following the final GIF in BritDetectives flirting post) is pretty firm though. Her history as an advisor on the Middle East sets her up perfectly for showing up again in Episode 2 - should be fun!

It's pretty firm... but then he takes her with him to see Mrs. Knowles. Except he doesn't take her in with him... and he was driving so it's not even like he wanted to have a getaway car... what was that all about?

(I mean, aside from the chance for them to spend more time together, of course. What was the PRETEXT?)
HarrietVane

Postby kitchentease » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:41 am

Harrietvane wrote: but then he takes her with him to see Mrs. Knowles. Except he doesn't take her in with him... and he was driving so it's not even like he wanted to have a getaway car... what was that all about?

That was a bit weird that he left her outside. She had said earlier in the episode that she was a dear friend of Knowles' wife.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby HarrietVane » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:23 am

kitchentease wrote:
Harrietvane wrote: but then he takes her with him to see Mrs. Knowles. Except he doesn't take her in with him... and he was driving so it's not even like he wanted to have a getaway car... what was that all about?

That was a bit weird that he left her outside. She had said earlier in the episode that she was a dear friend of Knowles' wife.

Ooh, you're right. I had forgotten that part.

Maybe she was his backup plan - if Mrs. K didn't level with him, he'd send in Dr. A?
HarrietVane

Postby Wolesley » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:45 am

I would think she might have come in with him first, then left Foyle to do the difficult part, perhaps. Or, yes, as a backup if Mrs. Knowles reacted badly.
But clearly he'd spoken to her earlier to ask her to come with him, or she had offered. Wish we could have had that scene!

I wonder how much more might have been filmed and then edited out - or does that even happen these days with very tight filming schedules?

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby mohairMK » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:31 am

HarrietVane wrote:...but then he takes her with him to see Mrs. Knowles. Except he doesn't take her in with him... and he was driving so it's not even like he wanted to have a getaway car... what was that all about?
(I mean, aside from the chance for them to spend more time together, of course. What was the PRETEXT?)

Need a little more info to help this scene make sense. Clearly, there must have been a reason for Foyle to take her with him, whether it was his idea or hers, Foyle is not usually random with his actions. It may have been obvious to Anthony, but the reasons did not get conveyed to the audience clearly enough.

Nice touch, we just needed more!
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby Janewilts » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:59 am

Foyle thanks the Dr for going with him so I think he must have asked her to accompany him.
She had already told Foyle that she was Mrs Knowle's friend. Foyle took Sam with him the first time showing that he is aware that things might get a bit emotional questioning a recent widow, especially one who is ill. I don't think Foyle would be comfortable around hysterical women, so he took back up. Perhaps the Dr could also have applied friendly pressure if Mrs Knowles had not cooperated with Foyle.
I enjoyed this episode more watching it for a second time. There was so much going on and it did jump about a bit.
Janewilts

PreviousNext

Return to Series 9 (January 2015)