S9 E1 High Castle

High Castle (1946); Trespass (1947); Elise (1947)

Re: S9 E1 High Castle

Postby Janewilts » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:36 am

I also think that there was not enough of Foyle and Sam together. Foyle seemed a bit distracted when he said Sam could go undercover as long as someone kept their eye on her. Perhaps he sees her as not needing his protection now she is grown up and has Adam

Do you think in the end Hilda Pierce lets Foyle leave MI5 after he helps her with the SOE scandal?
Then he goes to help Elizabeth Addis with her war research . Sam does ' illegal rambling ' helping with the paper work that Foyle needs help with, while Adam is busy with his Constituency.
So as Foyle says at the end ' I am going to be alright '. Sam would be happy too.
Janewilts

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:57 am

Am very much under the weather right now. Was hit by the Dreaded Lurgi Sunday after Christmas and it's knocked seven bells out of me, so am late coming to this party. Won't be here long, as my head's rather swimmy.

Starlight said it all, really. Ta, muchly, kidda - as always, you summed it up neatly.

My own comments ... I do think FW has come to its end now, and if not, it needs to. Doubtless, there are great hidden WWII stories to tell, and Mr Hwz should tell 'em, but not through FW. Foyle's had his day. In this episode, there was a man who helped MI5 out with a little bit of nosing around. His name happened to be Foyle, but it could have been Smith or Jones or anything else - Our Man simply wasn't in evidence. At least these days they've given him an overcoat of reasonable length to wear instead of one that makes him look swamped! And the Sam thing was utterly ridiculous; she had to be given something to do, but that wasn't it! (As you can imagine, Starlight, that was grist to my mill.)

Re John Mahoney, was he in this? Oh, yes - he was in this. Trouble is, I blinked.

I do wish I'd had better things to say. :foyle4:
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:02 am

Lynnedean wrote:Re John Mahoney, was he in this? Oh, yes - he was in this. Trouble is, I blinked.

I think you nodded off, rather than blinked, be honest now. I never thought I'd have to say this, but there were just too many bedroom scenes with Sam in this episode of Foyle. Trouble was, the old chap in the bed was John Mahoney. :whistling:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby hazeleyes57 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:08 pm

I don't disagree with Starlight's opinion at all, so that's saved me from going through it.

I often find that the more I anticipate something on the Haunted Fishbowl (my hubby's term for the TV), the flatter it falls.

Spoiler alert:

There is an article in today's Daily Mail, the headline of which is 'Sorry, but Foyle's Peace isn't half as much fun as Foyle's War was'. I'm afraid I have to agree. There were plot holes you could have driven the wrong sort of Routemaster through. The blue hat in the window rescue signal was deployed in broad daylight, so why did the escape/rescue happen in the pitch dark? It was never explained why Clayton Del Mar was treated the way he was by the grey-coat-cigarette-smoking-man (or I missed it). Valentine sneaking around the dockyard, dressed completely in black, hiding unsubtly in doorways and smoking, might as well of been wearing a dayglo jacket with 'spook' embroidered on his back.

As Christopher Stevens pointed out, in 1947 Frank Sinatra was in the hit parade, Rita Hayworth and Deborah Kerr were box office dynamite and the hottest ticket in the West End was Oklahoma! so why on earth would anyone want to end up in Foyle's London of 'smog and powdered egg, where working class people live on grey drab streets under monochrome skies, because they're apparently too poor for colour'.

Honeysuckle looks too gaunt to be at all well. If the camera adds 10 lbs, she ought to quit the fags and eat something instead. Conversely, I thought MK looked a bit better than usual, with the slightly longer hair somehow he looked less, well, bald.

The thing I missed the most was the undercurrent of humour that stopped Foyle's War from being grim. The banter between Sam and Foyle was very British-chin-up-in-adversity, and I think the show suffers for its lack.

Glad I got to watch it though, and I'm staying tuned for the other eps. Sub-par Foyle way better than no Foyle :thumbsup:
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby starlight » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:27 pm

hazeleyes57 wrote:I often find that the more I anticipate something on the Haunted Fishbowl (my hubby's term for the TV), the flatter it falls.

It's a fair cop. Perhaps Series 9 will hit its stride in Ep 2, but the advertised subject matter isn't any less imposing, so I hope it won't turn into another quart squeezed into a pint pot.

Like you, though, I need my Foyle, and if I can't have steak, I'll tuck into the burger. :wink:
starlight

Postby flybybee » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:52 pm

This series, and most of the last, seems to be a completely different show than earlier Foyle. Part of me is OK with that since actors and writers can get stale doing the same thing over and over, and evolution can be good, but most of me misses the Hastings days. The scope of the narrative widened tremendously-stretched out to be more international. Like some of you have said, I think Anthony Horowitz tried to put too much historical fact in here and so the personal relationships aspect was left flat. Everything that Foyle pursued was fascinating but the Del Mar mansion plot was stretched way too far.

I had real trouble with Clayton Del Mar's American/Southern accent. The southern part seemed to come and go and wasn't convincing. But not a huge deal. And I think Sam forgave and made up with Adam way too easily. I thought that issue was going to carry through some more. Seemed like maybe she got scared during her spying stint?

However--I hung on to every second and thought MK looked great! I'll watch it again and probably again and I look forward to the next!
flybybee

Postby starlight » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:05 pm

flybybee wrote:I had real trouble with Clayton Del Mar's American/Southern accent. The southern part seemed to come and go and wasn't convincing. But not a huge deal. And I think Sam forgave and made up with Adam way too easily. I thought that issue was going to carry through some more. Seemed like maybe she got scared during her spying stint?

Yes, the Clayton accent thing escaped my British ears, but has just been explained to me by dcfoylefan. Apparently I should imagine the performance as if he were doing a Brummie accent one minute and a Geordie one the next. :-? Not good.

Actually, I find it quite annoying that this sort of thing can get as far as production. Actors should be employed on their ability to do accents, and accent coaches should be present on set. This show is going out in the US after all. :awkward:

Like many plotlines in this episode (except for the scenes with Mahoney in bed) the Sam/Adam reconciliation was rushed, I agree. But that was mainly because they'd introduced the complicating factor of the 'other woman' Sam caught him with. If she didn't believe he was guilty, why did she go off in a huff? Seemed unconvincing to me - whereas the argument about employment was entirely credible.
starlight

Postby HarrietVane » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:25 pm

starlight wrote:
flybybee wrote:I had real trouble with Clayton Del Mar's American/Southern accent. The southern part seemed to come and go and wasn't convincing. But not a huge deal. And I think Sam forgave and made up with Adam way too easily. I thought that issue was going to carry through some more. Seemed like maybe she got scared during her spying stint?

Yes, the Clayton accent thing escaped my British ears, but has just been explained to me by dcfoylefan. Apparently I should imagine the performance as if he were doing a Brummie accent one minute and a Geordie one the next. :-? Not good.

Further imagine that the character is supposed to be from a third, utterly geographically distinct, area. Say, Cornwall. Or Yorkshire.
HarrietVane

Postby flybybee » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:42 pm

I think most of the American audience will pick up on the accent thing. I did not hear a Texas-specific accent except for in a couple of phrases and didn't get that that was what he was after until I heard Dallas mentioned. I should have figured the head of an oil company would be from there.

I've also noticed in S8 and S9 that the film quality (if they still use film) is different. It's greyer and has higher contrast making the show literally and figuratively darker. I mean, I think the film quality here made the Monowitz scenes seem all the more cold-absolutely frightening and I was incredibly uncomfortable but in the way that well crafted filming makes the audience FEEL the scene as well as see it. Very effective. It's not Foyle walking on the beach in Hastings but I saw cinematic value to the treatment.

I'm always up for some dark film moments but I will also be returning to the earlier episodes to relive the good old Foyle!
flybybee

Postby BookwormKate » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:00 pm

**Spoilers**

Very glad to see the new episode last night! Though I think I will need to watch it again to catch it all. It felt very rushed at times, though the history itself was fascinating. Del Mar's accent drove me up wall, chopping and changing as it did. Absolutely loved Foyle and Deakin together again (maybe they could start a Private Investigative service together). The scenes between Foyle and Valentine were also good, and he seems to have struck up a better rapport with Foyle. Thought it was very odd that Foyle didn't ask after Sam, having had experience with her previous undercover work... And was a teensy bit resentful of the intelligent red head on Sam's behalf, as she apparently had all the answers and files Foyle could ever want...
It's always fantastic to watch MK, but I thought he did particularly well with his facial expressions in the last bit when speaking to Mrs Knowles. And Sam and Adam - what can I say? Adam was described by Terry Ramsey in a review in the Telegraph today as "drippy". I would have to agree wholeheartedly.

It was rather bleak, though interesting, if not slightly contrived at times. However, I'm still over the moon that Foyle is back! :foyle1:
"You could do with a good chat then..."
BookwormKate

Postby VagabondTrousers » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:43 pm

Jillybean wrote:I'm gonna be honest (and not as erudite Starlight) ...I was a little bored.

Me too, Jillybean :sad:

***Spoilers***

Del Mar's accent drove me up wall, chopping and changing as it did. ~BookWormKate

Amen to that! :thumbsup:

I must ask, though it's going to sound critical (sorry) and adds little substance to the discussion....but why, oh why do they use actors with dubious dialectical ability? Could they not have found one "jin-yoo-ine" Texan who can act? Surely there are decent American actors working in the UK? If not, why not grab someone from the overflowing pool we have here? :asking:

We'll gladly send you some. And you may keep them!

It seemed like the younger Del Mar just couldn't make up his mind where he was from, and it was very distracting. I can only imagine how MK must've felt having to work with that.

Now we know how you feel, watching American films or telly and being subjected to excruciatingly bad English.

Even though I'm not associated with the American entertainment industry, I am still so very sorry :eyeroll:
VagabondTrousers

Postby starlight » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:51 pm

VagabondTrousers wrote:It seemed like the younger Del Mar just couldn't make up his mind where he was from, and it was very distracting. I can only imagine how MK must've felt having to work with that.

:lol: accents ain't MK's strong point, generally.
starlight

Postby Wolesley » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:07 am

Did you notice the little tease for fans of Michael's curls? At the end of the scene where the pretty MI5 researcher gives Foyle the info on the shipment of High Castle whiskey and the 'Eleanor Lee,' the camera angle is from the back of Foyle's head. As the scene closes, Foyle lowers his head and then the camera changes focus from the door to MK's nape! Someone must be aware of our fangirling! :rofl:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Wolesley » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:23 am

Hazeleyes, Leskov (grey coat cigarette smoking man) was an NKVD Soviet agent who wanted to stop Del Mar from going to Tehran to negotiate a deal for Iranian oil for Britain. Stalin already had a deal for oil with Iran, and didn't want that interfered with.

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Englishfan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:17 am

They could only afford one pair of pjs for John Mahoney? Nice that he looks good in blue.

I did notice the curls!

I liked the show!!!!! My reception was totally choppy, and maybe that helped!!!!

But I did like it. Lots of disconnects and impossibilities as far as the story lines, but I liked it.

I am not a fan of Sam's, either, and she seemed to be given the plot in this episode, so that was disappointing. I have to believe that she is being set-up for something in the next episodes that required her to be the focus here.

I wonder if the researcher (PhD) will become an interest to CF as the series progresses.

We have to hang tight and know (hope) that AH will pull it out as a winner it needs to be as the show comes to an end.

I don't think CF was any more solemn than usual, although we have hoped for so long that he would radiate warmth and personal feelings, that now we are getting a bit desperate since the show is almost a wrap.

I liked CF as he permitted the ill wife to keep the diamonds and his interaction with is female friend in discussing it. I liked CF's summation of the widow's interview as being a lie. I liked his quip with the female researched when she said she was "Doctor" and who was he? "Mr!" I liked CF in the oil exec's office, altho CF changed his sitting style and didn't cross his legs, as CF has a way of scanning the scene as if he's a camera. And more.....

I like the story line, too, or the one AH tried to tell.

It is not my favorite, but it was fun enough.

Have to see it again.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby Englishfan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:49 am

P.S.
I also liked when John Mahoney and CF locked eyes at the scene under Mahoney's window. No words. Said a lot.
E'fan
Englishfan

Postby Wolesley » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:52 am

And that locking of eyes was all they got to do - which could have been edited together from separate filming dates, too. We have seen a publicity photo of them together, but why oh why didn't they have a scene together!? Such a shame, really.

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby starlight » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:30 am

Wolesley wrote:...why oh why didn't they have a scene together!? Such a shame, really.

Lesley

Well it seems as if nobody outside the family got in to see Del Mar Snr unless they were applying to read him stories. Foyle would've had to get dragged up à la Mrs Doubtfire and present himself for bedsite vetting. (I doubt that Del Mar would've called him 'cute' :rofl: - but as we all know, MK's pretty good at reading out loud... :cool: )
starlight

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:05 pm

Wolesley wrote:And that locking of eyes was all they got to do - which could have been edited together from separate filming dates, too.

Yup. It's highly unlikely that Mr K was around when the closeup was taken of John Mahoney's baleful glare. The two men's scenes will have been filmed at different times.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby jewell » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:53 pm

Not on YouTube, YET!!!

Those uploaders are really slacking this series. Jeez!

Skimming this thread peering between my fingers. May have to wait 'til February. With my luck Acorn will end their 30 day free trial just then. Mmmmmph! A scammer just can't get by, huh? :foyle3:

Jewell
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

PreviousNext

Return to Series 9 (January 2015)