S9 E1 High Castle

High Castle (1946); Trespass (1947); Elise (1947)

S9 E1 High Castle

Postby Wolesley » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:57 am

Teasers from Anthony Horowitz:

Radio Times, Oct. 22, 2014

"It's now 1947 and we move directly on from where we were at the end of the last season. The first story will be concerned with the Nuremberg Trials, not of the Nazis, but of the industrialists who supported Hitler and who built the furnaces and the bombs."

Horowitz also hinted that Foyle's War may be fast approaching its end and that he wanted to put his hero to the test: "It's always been a series about a good man in evil times and I felt - particularly as we're moving towards the end of the series - that I really wanted to confront Foyle with the ultimate evil.
"So, for this season, we've built a concentration camp because Foyle visits Monowitz. Monowitz has been razed, so we couldn’t film there. And you’re not allowed to film in concentration camps anyway. Quite correctly, in my view. So we had to build it ourselves."

The Spectator (print edition, July 19, 2014)

"In this season, we touch on the IG Farben trials and the construction of Monowitz, a concentration camp designed and built simply for business. "
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Re: S9 E1 High Castle

Postby Wolesley » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:46 am

Wolesley

Postby Wolesley » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:34 pm

Cast list for the filming of Series 9:
http://www.foyleswar.com/the-official-f ... igns-guest

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Wolesley » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:11 pm

Episode description:

High Castle
Foyle is drawn into the world of corrupt Nazi businessmen when a University Professor is found brutally murdered in a London park.
Wolesley

Postby starlight » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:03 pm

http://shows.stv.tv/talk-tv/304551-foyl ... gh-castle/

Aspects of the episode are mentioned in this article.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby hazeleyes57 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:49 am

Got the TV set up to record High Castle tomorrow night (Sunday) on ITV. Can't wait :thumbsup: :woohoo: :bouncy: :dancing6:
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Wolesley » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:47 am

Guest Cast list:

Hilda Pierce ..... Ellie Haddington
Arthur Valentine......Tim McMullan
Sir Alec Myerson ...... Rupert Vansittart
Elizabeth Addis ... Hermione Gulliford
Glenvil Harris..... Jeremy Swift
Patricia Scott .....Marianne Oldham
Andrew Del Mar ..... John Mahoney
Vera Stephens .... Jamie Winstone
Clayton Del Mar ......Nigel Lindsay
Edith Del Mar .....Madeleine Potter
Grant ..... Vincenzo Nicoli
Herman Linz ......Ludger Pistor
Alan Deakin......Will Keen
Viktor Krasovsky...... Joseph Drake
Nikolei Leskov......George Lasha
Hilary Knowles....... Amanda Lawrence
Albert Morton ...... Rupert Simonian
Cyril Richardson......Pip Donaghy
Horace Chorley.....Neil Fitzmaurice
Wolesley

Postby flybybee » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:08 pm

I'm so excited! For you guys.......

Well, actually, Samfan left info in the tech talk section of the forum for iPlayer which I had not had any luck with in the past. But with her detailed instructions I was able to get the new Pern episodes so I'm going to be optimistic here and say that I will get Foyle soon after the broadcast. Hoping it works!
flybybee

Postby Samfan » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:02 pm

Well, have fun watching, all you can watch it right now. Here's hoping some of us can watch it later this evening---or tomorrow evening at the latest....

:thumbsup: Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby amiga » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:18 pm

Samfan wrote:Well, have fun watching, all you can watch it right now. Here's hoping some of us can watch it later this evening---or tomorrow evening at the latest....

:thumbsup: Samfan

Just watched it through Hola Unblocker.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby starlight » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:46 pm

**SPOILERS**

What to say. The episode was a curate's egg. All scenes with Foyle were excellent, particularly those with Will Keen (the lawyer from The Hide). The Sam/Adam marital friction scene at the beginning rang completely true, but the device of catching Adam with a woman in his arms was a cheap shot. The Sam spy subplot was strung out beyond its value. Note to John Mahoney fans: sorry, but scowling in bed does not a great performance make - in fact there was too much time spent on the John Mahoney character for the value that he added to the episode. Wasn't his fault, but basically there was nothing for him to do. Clayton Del Mar's henchman Grant had about the intelligence of Oddbod from Carry On Screaming, and wins the prize for perhaps the least thorough search of a basement ever seen on telly. Sam is the world's worst spy. The banter between Valentine and Foyle was good value - nice to see how their relationship has blossomed since they both got relegated to the doghouse over Strasser. Hermione Gulliford as Elizabeth Addis is clearly being set up as Foyle's "bird", and got quite doe-eyed when she apologised to him for being rude at their first meeting. Foyle got about as flirty as he gets with women - a half roll of the eyes. But he's deploying looks last seen in the Barbara Hicks episode, so I figure he's on board for the odd leer and a bit of teasing of Doctor Addis in episode two at least.

What else?

Very little Foyle/Sam, but what little there was established them as having a more egalitarian relationship than previously. Not enough Foyle/Sam, sadly.

Very satisfying scene where Foyle gives a rundown of the tri-ethyl-lead fuel additive scandal. What a humiliating shambles. It needed telling.

The episode could've been tighter, imho. Not that I didn't lap it up. Still enjoyed it all.
starlight

Postby Wolesley » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:02 pm

Oh gosh,thanks for this, Starlight! Been hovering anxiously over the Forum and Tumblr for any news and reviews. I may get to see the episode later tonight or tomorrow, if the technology works.

So...some flirting in trademark low key Foyle style? That's better than nothing, and at least Ms. (Mrs.?) Addis has three eps to try to seduce him. Poor Mrs. Hicks only had the one, and then got shanghaied out of there by the War Office. :rofl:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby HarrietVane » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:04 pm

starlight wrote:**SPOILERS**

Well said, Starlight.

The paucity of Foyle-and-Sam scenes was startling to me, particularly as he was uncertain about her going in undercover; I was surprised we didn't see him checking up with Valentine on how her project was going as soon as he got back from Nuremberg.

I didn't get the exact wording, but Sam's statement in the car about "Not quite myself but it's nothing to worry about. Quite the opposite, really" struck me as telling him EXACTLY what's up with her while maintaining technical deniability for both of them. Seriously, we're supposed to think Foyle couldn't parse that one even half-awake?

I quite liked Dr. Addis; she and Foyle had a nice bit of sparring in [the first] dead guy's office. I look forward to seeing more of her.
HarrietVane

Postby Jillybean » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:06 pm

I'm gonna be honest (and not as erudite Starlight) ...I was a little bored.
There's something about you fascinates me...
Jillybean

Postby amiga » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:34 pm

Jillybean wrote:I'm gonna be honest (and not as erudite Starlight) ...I was a little bored.

I agree, Jilly. I'm not crazy about Sam's new role, and the fact that they were hardly together, just added to it.

Hope Dr Addis spices it up in the next episode.....well, as spicy as Foyle gets. I'm afraid it will be all in the eyes and the smile.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby hughsbeautiful » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:51 am

starlight wrote:**SPOILERS**
in fact there was too much time spent on the John Mahoney character for the value that he added to the episode.

Spot on, Starlight. It was as if he never really got a chance. And thanks for a great review!

I really liked the Valentine scenes. I think he's a great character.

btw did anyone else notice just for how long and how much Foyle's tea or coffee steamed, when he was talking with Deakin? :D
hughsbeautiful

Postby Wolesley » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:20 am

I have seen the episode! Hallelujah.
Honestly, there was so much plot and history crammed into it that I will have to absorb it all again in at least two more viewings.
Also, I was just so thrilled to be 'watching it,' I was kind of dazed with happiness.

Thought all the locations and sets and set dressing were superb. Very post-War atmospheric. And the lighting was very crisp and sort of stark, which worked well for the era and story.
Foyle still very much the loose cannon, pursuing his own agenda, and to hell with the motivations of high-level British interests, represented by Myerson.

There be SPOILERS below

Sam's subplot was suspenseful, but there was also a lot going on that required tremendous suspension of disbelief. :wink: That henchman was useless! And, yes, without Foyle supervising her, all her risk and danger lost it's dramatic tension because he wasn't worrying about her.
I did enjoy Valentine coming to her rescue.

The subplot with Valentine's young Russian informant could have been developed more, perhaps. But then this would have to be a two-parter, or a three hour film. Which would be fine with me!

Very sad John Mahoney was so underutilized. And no scene with MK? Tragic loss of opportunity.

It really feels like Horowitz was so concerned to bring the factual history out that the dramatic cohesion of the story was rushed. If they'd had another thirty to sixty minutes, it could have been presented less hurriedly. But I agree it was an important story to tell, and a morally reprehensible crime on the part of Standard - I mean American Global - Oil.

I will watch it again after work tomorrow, to take in all the story and the scenes!

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Wolesley » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:35 am

SPOILERS

Also, I really liked it when Foyle asked Sam if she would switch jobs with him, said that he was fed up with all the paperwork, and pretty much asked her outright to help him with it. Crikey, I'd've agreed in a heartbeat to help him! :biggrin:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Wolesley » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:02 am

And was anyone else kind of jealous on Sam's behalf to see Foyle in a car with another woman!!?

:wolseley: :samcry:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby starlight » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:53 am

Wolesley wrote:It really feels like Horowitz was so concerned to bring the factual history out that the dramatic cohesion of the story was rushed. If they'd had another thirty to sixty minutes, it could have been presented less hurriedly.

Agree. And if they had tightened up the mansion scenes, it would've given them more time to spend on the main plot.

On the other hand, they had Foyle covering more distance in this episode than he's covered in all the previous series put together (I'm not counting the trip to America, because that happened off screen). Fitting it into two hours around ad breaks was always going to be a challenge.

And without Sam! To put it bluntly: too many miles; too many new pals helping him. Let's hope the balance is restored in the next episode.

Re Dr Addis - another blonde with soft curls who starts off with an axe to grind. There seems to be a pattern here. Anyway, the sparring looks to be over. Dinner in Episode 2, and in Episode 3 Foyle comforts Addis on the loss of her husband. Sorted.
starlight

Next

Return to Series 9 (January 2015)