S9 E2 Trespass

High Castle (1946); Trespass (1947); Elise (1947)

Re: S9 E2 Trespass

Postby bubbe » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:05 am

Almost fell asleep during The Castle,(if not for MK I would not have watched it) , but tonight...dear G-d !...I loved it. Mk was his usual wonderfulf self and the writing..POWERFULL!! I was in my early teens during those years and the middle east was very important to my family. We had many dinner table discussions and prayers. So well written and acted. Kudos to AH. Amiga, I too, missed the pjs and I watched it twice. Oh well, tomorrow. Be well, everybody. Bubbe aka june
Well,um,he's...he's an American
bubbe

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:10 pm

On Sunday night, Anthony Horowitz commented on Twitter that he had found it quite shocking and moving to watch Foyle in the light of the events in Paris. Today, he has added: "ITV did consider postposing last night's Foyle's War. Brave - and right - of them not to."
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby HarrietVane » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:42 pm

I am pretty much incoherent with delight. Well-plotted, well-paced, a range of intriguing and compelling (or appropriately horrible) one-off characters, a reference to Andrew (for the first time since 1945), Dr. Addis in her academic gown (ok maybe I'm the only one swooning over that), the attic guest room (YES JAMMIES, BookwormKate!), and lashings of delectable Sam-and-Foyle. Even Boring Adam more or less behaved himself!

I remain confident Foyle knows Sam's expecting - after the egalitarian "let's switch jobs" joking in the last episode, the "stay in the car" discussion was a definite shift to being more protective.

The purple tie (in the what-did-the-file-say scene with Dr. Addis) is a bit of a departure for him, isn't it? Packed in a hurry, sir?

Very interested to see how everything shakes out with Miss Pierce and Dr. Addis... unsurprising, really, that Dr. Addis' loyalty already seems to have shifted to Foyle.
HarrietVane

Postby HarrietVane » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:32 pm

starlight wrote:Though, on the languages front, I do wonder why Addis has only "middling" French if her Arabic is good enough for her to spot spelling mistakes. Brits don't usually get to learn Arabic unless they've proved they can master French first. So I suspect she's fibbing about the French. And *oops!* the final scene confirms she is :D because she's Hilda's homie.

I thought she was being very academic in her estimation of her French skills - calling her own knowledge "middling" as compared to that of a scholar of French literature, not as compared to the general British population. (I would imagine that in order to earn her doctorate she had to demonstrate knowledge-sufficient-to-read-academic-articles of a couple European languages.)
HarrietVane

Postby vicky » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:24 pm

In spite of the harrowing storyline, this was a very enjoyable episode, much better than High Castle. Loved the scenes between Foyle and Sam, also Foyle and Addis. Starlight has listed all my favourite bits. I was unprepared for the surprise at the end,
and I'm looking forward to next week's episode. It really does look as if the
series will end on a high note, and I'm so pleased about that. After all these years
I wouldn't want it to end with a whimper.
vicky

Postby Anglophile » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:15 am

Englishfan wrote:
I haven't seen it because I'm watching the Broncos (lose :puzzled: ....but there's still time for them to come through....), but I'm so glad that FW is a hit again! At least that's a certainty, even if the Broncos aren't...yet.
e'fan

I spent Sunday night doing the same thing :-P big mistake, it was depressing. Should've stuck with Foyle - which was superb. Ditto to everything everyone else has said re the return of classic Foyle & Sam, new Foyle & Addis, and news of ANDREW! Didn't catch where Foyle said he was though - "In the City"??
Was NOT expecting that ending, either! The plot thickens...

Yep, Foyle is back! :D

I was imagining the pending fanfiction during the attic bedroom scene... :whistling:

One thing that struck me as odd was at the end, when Sir Alec demands the Foreign Office guy's resignation. Surely he doesn't really have the authority to pull that off? Especially considering Sir Alec had just spent the whole episode being ordered around by him. Or was he just using the leverage of the scandal he could create?

HarrietVane wrote:I remain confident Foyle knows Sam's expecting - after the egalitarian "let's switch jobs" joking in the last episode, the "stay in the car" discussion was a definite shift to being more protective.

The purple tie (in the what-did-the-file-say scene with Dr. Addis) is a bit of a departure for him, isn't it? Packed in a hurry, sir?

At this point it is almost unbelievable that he could not know Sam's condition - but I hope we're not robbed of getting to watch her tell him!
I didn't notice the tie :-P or the pyjamas! Cue second viewing!
"Why have you brought us to shelter in the fuel dump, Andrew?"
Anglophile

Postby HarrietVane » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:38 am

Anglophile wrote:
and news of ANDREW! Didn't catch where Foyle said he was though - "In the City"??

Yes, "in the City" - I think that's sort of like "he works on Wall Street" for us Yanks. Here's my stab at a transcription of the scene:

GRIFFIN: I gather you’re the father of Andrew Foyle?
FOYLE: Yes, that’s right.
GRIFFIN: We trained at [Castletown??]
FOYLE: Ah?
GRIFFIN: We never met, but everybody looked up to him.
FOYLE: You a pilot?
GRIFFIN: No, I’m afraid not, didn’t quite make the grade. Ended up at Fighter Command. How is Andrew?
FOYLE: Oh, he’s very well.
GRIFFIN: Is he still flying?
FOYLE: No, he’s in the City now.

Anglophile wrote:I didn't notice the tie :-P or the pyjamas! Cue second viewing!

I grabbed a picture of the tie: http://kivrin.tumblr.com/post/107907488 ... lin-and-mr
HarrietVane

Postby HarrietVane » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:55 am

Didn't one of the previews say something about Guy Spencer? I didn't catch anything about him in the episode - anyone else hear the name?
HarrietVane

Postby Wolesley » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:20 am

I was listening for the name, too, at least as a plot point, but it seems that, instead, they've substituted the name of the character we DO see, Charles Lucas, and his son Robert.

Yet another Charles! What's Horowitz got against Charleses (other than Foyle's brother-in-law, who is a good guy).

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby dogstar » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:55 am

Oh my oh my oh my. :obsessed: Can't wait! :waiting: :foylekiss: How long until Masterpiece?
Dogstar

"However, I'm richer and you're happier, and I think I know what's best."
dogstar

Postby Anglophile » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:41 pm

HarrietVane wrote:
Yes, "in the City" - I think that's sort of like "he works on Wall Street" for us Yanks.

Thanks!! So Andrew is supposed to have been in London this whole time. :-x

And thanks for the tie picture! :wink:

dogstar wrote:How long until Masterpiece?

I don't think they've officially announced it yet, but I think I've read rumors of April/May?
"Why have you brought us to shelter in the fuel dump, Andrew?"
Anglophile

Postby amiga » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:49 pm

Amazon's ship date is May 5, which I assume is after it airs in the US.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby mohairMK » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:39 am

Samfan wrote:I really loved this episode. Loved it when Sam and Foyle were speeding through the London streets and Sam revealed that she passed the fast car driving course on her second try :)

The best scene after the resignation scene! Enjoyed seeing Foyle slide all over the car seat while Sam drove like a maniac! That grimace of his! He probably doubted they would get there in one piece! :foyle4:
THIS is the old Foyle's War spark! :wolseley:
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby Samfan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:32 am

mohairMK wrote:
Samfan wrote:I really loved this episode. Loved it when Sam and Foyle were speeding through the London streets and Sam revealed that she passed the fast car driving course on her second try :)

The best scene after the resignation scene! Enjoyed seeing Foyle slide all over the car seat while Sam drove like a maniac! That grimace of his! He probably doubted they would get there in one piece! :foyle4:
THIS is the old Foyle's War spark! :wolseley:

At one point during that exciding car ride, I thought I heard Foyle say "Sh+t", but I might be wrong... (grant it, I might have been saying something along the same lines...)

Samf
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby starlight » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:57 am

Samfan wrote:At one point during that exciding car ride, I thought I heard Foyle say "Sh+t", but I might be wrong... (grant it, I might have been saying something along the same lines...)

http://britishdetectives.tumblr.com/pos ... /these-two
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby mohairMK » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:49 am

Yep. That's what I thought he said also, BD! :foyle6:
mohairMK

Postby hazeleyes57 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:41 am

Unless both me and hubby were mistaken, we think CF must know about the baby, because when Sam said that she was going to the hospital, he said (something along the lines of) 'What again? Everything all right?'

I would have liked to see the scene, even if it was Sam spluttering out the info, or better yet CF saying 'Wondered when you were going to tell me'.

Apart from the fast driving (Jeeesus!) :rofl: my favourite scene was Foyle telling Sam to stay in the car and seconds later she is in trouble. I loved Foyle's irritated tsk conveying the 'now look what's happened'. :rofl: :rofl:
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby mohairMK » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm

hazeleyes57 wrote:Unless both me and hubby were mistaken, we think CF must know about the baby, because when Sam said that she was going to the hospital, he said (something along the lines of) 'What again? Everything all right?'

I would have liked to see the scene, even if it was Sam spluttering out the info, or better yet CF saying 'Wondered when you were going to tell me'.

Apart from the fast driving (Jeeesus!) :rofl: my favourite scene was Foyle telling Sam to stay in the car and seconds later she is in trouble. I loved Foyle's irritated tsk conveying the 'now look what's happened'. :rofl: :rofl:

I know, I know! Wasn't that great! The LOOK on his face when the gun was pointed at her!! Priceless!
mohairMK

Previous

Return to Series 9 (January 2015)