[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - S9 E3 Elise

S9 E3 Elise

High Castle (1946); Trespass (1947); Elise (1947)

Re: S9 E3 Elise

Postby starlight » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:16 am

Time to open a Hilda thread? I'm getting a lot of Hilda interest on Tumblr, but it's not the best platform for a back-and-forth.

S
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby bubbe » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:44 am

I am absolutely stunned and happy! What a professional piece of theater this one is! Production, actors and Mr. Horowitz take a bow and then more. I loved it. Will certainly watch this one again and again. HW and the Man were great. Their final scene made me catch my breath. The whole ensemble was perfect! We all can interpret CFs final scene as we wish to (I think that was the intent), but I saw that lovely wry smile and grimace when CF looked up and walked away was a "whew, close, but thank G-d I missed that bullet" look. Sorry, English Fan. I don't think the character, as wriiten, could ever get past those betrayals. What fun!! How can the award shows pass up this acting and writing? I have been told it helps if the public writes letter. They will at least look. Be well, everybody. Bubbe
Well,um,he's...he's an American
bubbe

Postby Wolesley » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:23 am

Hmmm, we may need to create a few sub forums to discuss several aspects of this episode!

Has this review been posted yet?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... odbye.html

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Englishfan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:16 pm

I agree, Bubbe, I think the script was written so we can interpret the end as we like.

I choose to interpret it as, "War's over! Not getting younger! Glad I still have her number!"

But I can certainly understand that the betrayal is a biggy for him.

Or is it make-up time?!!!!

Englishfan

(Enjoy the end as you like! That is how it seems to have been written. Don't have to agree or disagree. Just enjoy.)
Englishfan

Postby mohairMK » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:58 am

Last edited by mohairMK on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby mohairMK » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:07 am

Last edited by mohairMK on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
mohairMK

Postby mohairMK » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:14 am

mohairMK

Postby hazeleyes57 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:55 am

hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby dcfoylefan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:39 pm

So I finally got the final sequence giffed. It's here:
http://britishdetectives.tumblr.com/pos ... s-war-2015

I guess it's all open to debate. 'Cept for the fact that he's still drop-dead gorgeous. Dishy. Eye candy. Whatever. :biggrin:
aka britishdetectives.tumblr.com
dcfoylefan

Postby Sunshine » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:45 pm

I don't know.....I think he should look up Barbara Hicks instead. She hasn't done anything wrong! :foyle1:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Anglophile » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:56 pm

"Why have you brought us to shelter in the fuel dump, Andrew?"
Anglophile

Postby dcfoylefan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:58 pm

Here's a laugh that references our old friend Barbara Hicks. Someone on Twitter asked if Foyle had a "nemesis" and I replied "blondes with curls." That got a "favorite" out of Anthony Horowitz!
aka britishdetectives.tumblr.com
dcfoylefan

Postby Janewilts » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:02 pm

Janewilts

Postby jewell » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:45 pm

"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby Samfan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:28 pm

When Sir Alec is walking down the MI-5 hallway to Foyle's office to deliver the phone transcripts, we see a women's head pop out of a door way as he walks past. Is that Sam--but then Sam is sitting in the office as Sir Alec walks in. (Its so hard to tell--many of the women wore similar hair styles).

Samfan :geek:
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Wolesley » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:02 am

Thanks for giffing the final scene, dcfoylefan aka britishdetectives! As ever, MK conveys several emotions and thoughts as Foyle in this moment.
(Please pardon the over-analysis, but I find it fascinating how so much is done without words.)

A lot is going on:
EA has quickly left the cemetery, assuming she is persona non grata and won't be wanted there. She knows Foyle finds her wartime deceit against Hilda and the other young SOE agents unconscionable.

But Foyle stops when he sees her leaving, perhaps wondering how such an intelligent woman could have so lost sight of good sense and morality to go along with such a betrayal.

Addis notices he has stopped, and turns to face him squarely, hoping for some sign of forgiveness, perhaps. Perhaps a sign that he doesn't despise her.

Foyle then faces her squarely, but he does not forgive her, and has not changed his mind. He still finds her wartime actions unacceptable. Yet he regrets the whole situation because she is a woman who clearly otherwise has integrity, intelligence and a heart. They might have been a good match.

Then he turns away and continues walking, with a grimace that seems to say, as someone commented over on Tumblr, 'dodged a bullet there.'

Well, that's what I see in the scene, at least. YMMV. :biggrin:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby starlight » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:23 am

I think they should get together and argue the toss. It'd make a good scene/fic.

Thx for the insight, Lesley.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Englishfan » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:04 am

Englishfan

Postby mohairMK » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:24 am

mohairMK

Postby mohairMK » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:25 am

mohairMK