[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - S9 E3 Elise

S9 E3 Elise

High Castle (1946); Trespass (1947); Elise (1947)

Re: S9 E3 Elise

Postby kitchentease » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:39 am

So happy to see it go out with a bang not a whimper. 6 perfect 10's for AH and the whole FW team. :thankyou:
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby mohairMK » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:59 am

You've nailed it, starlight, as usual. On all counts in my books, and well said.

This was a fantastic episode, but far from being as final as "All Clear" was, and look what happened then! MK was in top form, looking drop-dead gorgeous with hints of his old personality peeping through beautifully.

Agree about 'the blonds', one particular one knew what a bloody idiot she was in regards to Foyle, but his look back at her is priceless. Plenty of mileage there. The other isn't going to let him go either!

It's certainly an 'up-in-the-air' ending as far as I'm concerned, and I'm happy to see others think the same as I do.

From our mouth's to AH's ears!! :thumbsup:

PS...I'd love to see 'godfather Foyle' bouncing Sam's baby on his knee...well, maybe he's not the bouncing type... :foyle4:
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby mohairMK » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:00 am

mohairMK

Postby Wolesley » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:03 am

Still very emotional about this episode, but it was terrific, and I'd say quite a departure from all previous FW stories in significant ways.

Really, friends, it is worth waiting for - and NOT reading all about it in spoilers! Trust us!

I found myself exclaiming to the screen many times, just in surprise at how the story was unfolding.
At one point, I remarked to my son that clearly Horowitz had been reading John LeCarré as he started writing this one! And in a scene where Foyle gets a drink for a certain character, even the background music was very much like what is used in the films Tinker, Tailor and Smiley's People.

So much of this one was so very impressive and, as Starlight has said, finished with an open-ended scenario that invites all manner of continuation, that I can't complain or criticize.

However, I'd certainly love to speculate and debate over what Foyle's final look at Dr. Addis conveyed! :foyle3:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:15 am

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby mohairMK » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:07 am

mohairMK

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:07 am

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby BookwormKate » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:27 pm

Really enjoyed this episode, especially some of the moments Foyle had alone. His presence was truly magnificent in this episode and thought his voice was sounding particularly gravelly and lovely. The scene with Miles (more stairs!) brought a lump to my throat. Plus Andrew got another tiny mention. Absolutely adored the way Sam told Foyle. How perfect - harking back to the first series beautifully. I felt the ending was quite open ended, and wouldn't mind discussing that look he gave Addis here too - I found it a bit puzzling. I thought it was meant to be the end - certainly didn't feel like it! Exceptional episode. :foyle1:
"You could do with a good chat then..."
BookwormKate

Postby Janewilts » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:38 pm

Janewilts

Postby ayresorchids » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:09 pm

I agree, Lynne and Janewilts. That was exactly how I read it.

It's a little funny to remember Horowitz or Green talking about "a gentle romance" for Foyle. That one was so gentle that it barely registered!
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby amiga » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:28 pm

"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby cmee57 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:49 pm

The episode certainly exceeded my expectations! :thumbsup:
"Special! And it's my word, anyway. I'm perfectly entitled to use it, so do bugger off. I'm sticking with it! Thank you!" - Alibi
cmee57

Postby Samfan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:56 pm

Well, I really liked this episode a lot. I liked it that the lighting was much brighter. And yes, there was yet another stair scene :lol: I really liked the scene at the end between Foyle and Sam. I even liked how Foyle walked off in the last scene--how they filmed it. I'm hoping to watch it again tonight, to better figure out the plot.

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby vicky » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:16 pm

This was, indeed, a splendid episode with a really surprising ending. Loved the
brighter lighting, it made such a difference. Definitely one I'll be watching
quite a few times. As for Addis and Foyle - well I think she had her chance
and blew it. A man with such high moral standards would never forgive her
betrayal which had such disastrous consequences.
vicky

Postby mohairMK » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:53 pm

mohairMK

Postby Anglophile » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:13 am

"Why have you brought us to shelter in the fuel dump, Andrew?"
Anglophile

Postby Wolesley » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:25 am

Have to mention the absolutely brilliant casting of Conleth Hill in the role of Sir Ian Woodhead, and have to confess that, though he seemed familiar to me, it was my son who started chuckling straight away, and dropping hints. Then he had to tell me! I just didn't recognize him with hair and in a suit!
Look familiar at all...? ~

Yep, it's the deliciously self-serving, devilishly clever, reptilian yet sympathetic, Lord Varys from Game of Thrones! As soon as I realized who he was, the character of Sir Ian took on all sorts of extra flavour! I think Eleventh Hour Films was very lucky to get Mr. Hill in this role.
If you're not a G of T watcher, you may have missed out on the added nuance, but he is brilliant in the role of Sir Ian, in any case.

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby amiga » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:51 am

Thanks, Lesley. Couldn't figure out where I'd seen that face. He was great.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:28 am

Well, okay, I'm succumbing to the Spoiler compulsion...

Having this discussion over on Tumblr, with BritishDetectives, AbjectAdmirer, et al:

Hilda's line, in the car, after seeing the letter with her forged signature, firing the SOE agent who knew their French operation had been blown. She is in tears of remorse, anger, humiliation,

"Thank-you, Mr. Foyle. I always knew I could rely on you."

My thoughts: Well, Hilda is pleased to have been shown the truth of the matter by Foyle, but it means that she now knows that everything she worked for in the SOE was a cruel farce, that the whole operation *should* have been shut down, and that her closest colleagues and superiors lied to her for years. Don’t think she’s feeling ‘close’ to him, just grateful to be treated with integrity by a man she respects. Now she has to deal with it, and, wow, does she ever!

Also suggests her current high position in MI-5 may be meaningless, to some extent, doesn't it?

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Englishfan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:06 am

Oh, gosh! Just saw it!!!

Best ever. Best evvvvvver.

He had terrific screen time and what a great story.

I think he all but licked his lips at the end, after "the look," and they will date. That's how I see it and how I choose to believe it!

Lovely.

Englishfan
Englishfan

PreviousNext

Return to Series 9 (January 2015)