S9 E3 Elise

High Castle (1946); Trespass (1947); Elise (1947)

S9 E3 Elise

Postby Wolesley » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:43 am

Teasers from Anthony Horowitz:

Radio Times, October 22, 2014

"I think it's our best work and there is a shock in the third episode."

"And the third one looks at a scandal within the Special Operations Executive, which has only recently come to light. It's one of the most horrendous stories of the Second World War, which seems inexplicable even now."

From The Spectator (originally in the print edition, July 19, 2014)

"Finally, we examine one of the war’s greatest scandals — the quite unnecessary deaths of SOE agents sent into France and Holland."
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Re: S9 E3 Elise

Postby Wolesley » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:11 am

Some info about the SOE scandal this episode will cover:

http://www.fpp.co.uk/History/General/SOEHolland.html

And

Starlight wrote:Did the same SOE scandal search, btw, and found this on the Leo Marks Wiki page:
"Das Englandspiel" in the Netherlands

The Germans generally did not execute captured radio operators out of hand. The goal was to turn and use them, or to extract enough information to imitate them. For the safety of entire underground "circuits", it was important to determine if an operator was genuine and still free, but means of independently checking were primitive. Marks became convinced (but unable to prove) that the situation in the Netherlands was out of SOE's control[1] and that they were being toyed with by the Germans (who among themselves actually did call it a game—Das Englandspiel). He was repeatedly told (for political reasons) to keep his mouth shut while as many as 50 agents were delivered to the Gestapo.[citation needed] The other side of this story was published in 1953 by Marks' German opposite number in the Netherlands, Hermann Giskes, in London Calling North Pole.

If agents were still being sent in, in spite of the cover being blown, that would be scandalous indeed. Sufficient motive for a relative/lover of a betrayed female agent to shoot Hilda Pierce? Oh, I'd say so... :cool:
Wolesley

Postby Wolesley » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:17 pm

Episode description:

Elise
When his colleague Hilda Pierce is nearly killed in an attempted assassination, Foyle must re-examine her top secret role during the War to find out if there was a traitor at the heart of the Special Operations Executive.
Wolesley

Postby Lynnedean » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:56 am

Wolesley wrote:Episode description: When his colleague Hilda Pierce is nearly killed in an attempted assassination, Foyle must re-examine her top secret role during the War to find out if there was a traitor at the heart of the Special Operations Executive.

Looks as though the shock for viewers that Mr Hwz referred to is that Hilda Pierce was not what she seemed.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby hazeleyes57 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:25 pm

One of the things I remember most about Hilda's role and character was when she gave CF the file about Slapton Sands and the deaths of all the troops during the rehearsal. She said something along the lines of 'The war is full of dirty secrets and this was a very dirty secret indeed'.

I think Hilda knew that some of 'her' work was reprehensible but justifiable under the state the country was in at the time. I had the impression that for her the ends justified the means. As we have found out all too recently, the trouble with playing 'fair' is that your enemy won't do the same.

Gott mit uns (meaning God with us) is a phrase commonly used on armor in the German military (Wehrmacht). They thought God was on their side, even though we saw them as the enemy. As the saying goes, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

The only real difference I can see between the Brits and the Germans is that the Brits and their allies were trying to defend and keep what was theirs, while Hitler was trying to take what belonged to others.
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Wolesley » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:49 pm

In the new trailer there is a short clip which seems to be a flashback of Hilda during the War advising a young woman to "...be afraid. Fear will keep you alive." If this is the SOE agent that was knowingly sent to her death, I'd really hope Hilda did not know their communications had been breached by the Nazis, and that she is innocent of the young woman's murder.
Foyle will find out! :foyle4:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby starlight » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:58 pm

Wolesley wrote:In the new trailer there is a short clip which seems to be a flashback of Hilda during the War advising a young woman to "...be afraid. Fear will keep you alive." If this is the SOE agent that was knowingly sent to her death, I'd really hope Hilda did not know their communications had been breached by the Nazis, and that she is innocent of the young woman's murder.
Foyle will find out! :foyle4:

Lesley

I am going to stick my neck out and say I don't believe that Hilda was complicit. You read it first here :lol:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Wolesley » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:09 am

Guest Cast list:

Elizabeth Addis..... Hermione Gulliford
Glenvil Harris..... Jeremy Swift
Sophie Corrigan......Katherine Press
Joyce Corrigan ..... Emma Fielding
Rex Carter..... Tony Clay
Sir Ian Woodhead..... Conleth Hill
Miles Corrigan ..... Jesse Fox
Kenton.....David Ericsson
James Stafford...... Julian Lewis Jones
Derek Gates....... Ronnie Fox
Neville Smith ......Henry Garrett
Damien White ..... Leo Gregory
Blakey........Daniel Peacock
Eric Caplin....James Garnon
Chief Supt. Usbourne..... Ferdy Roberts
Luc Tallier..... Serge Hazanavicius
DI Henry Kinner...... Gary Sefton
Peter Hawtrey..... Nick Caldecott
Wolesley

Postby starlight » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:03 am

Wolesley wrote:Guest Cast list:

Sophie Corrigan......Katherine Press
Joyce Corrigan ..... Emma Fielding

Surely this means mother and daughter? If so, I guessed it in March! :bouncy:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=961&p=9205#p9205

Interestingly, Jesse Fox, the young actor who plays 'Miles Corrigan' (and I think, from the trailer, he's the one who shoots Hilda), was in a bad London bus crash two months before shooting started, and had a lucky escape.
starlight

Postby jewell » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:01 pm

No Ellie Haddington or Tim McMullan - or the man who plays Sir Alec - in Episodes 2 & 3!!???.

Very interesting, indeed.

Perhaps they gained 'regular character' status or perhaps Foyle chucked the whole lot of them.

Or am I missing something?

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby Wolesley » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:01 pm

They are in the episodes, I only listed the new guest cast members.

Wolesley
Wolesley

Postby jewell » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:07 pm

Oh, NEVER MIND! :awkward:

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:12 pm

The Radio Times summary of this episode reads:

The last episode in the series starts and ends with nasty shocks and in between has the usual well-oiled, limousine engine of a plot: writer Anthony Horowitz at the top of his game, in other words. He has made the shady, sordid world of the security services in postwar Britain his own. Here, Foyle looks into an attack on one of his MI5 bosses, the scary Hilda Pierce, who we know (but Foyle doesn't, yet) assigned that nice-seeming Elizabeth Addis to spy on him. The wheels within wheels whirr as we learn of a tragic, beautiful, bilingual, piano-playing mathematician whom Pierce recruited to be a wartime agent in France. But something went wrong and Foyle is the man to find out what. ~ DB

In the most recent interview re the ending of FW, Anthony Horowitz says of Ep3 "I think you'll be shocked by what happens and it does contain something quite surprising in Foyle's relationship with Hilda ..." We were teased about Hilda at the end of Ep2 and have been warned before about the shock - oh, there are to be two, it seems - within the final ep. Apart from the Elise character apparently making this storyline one of the hardest for Mr Hwz to write, it looks as though he may also have had a little fun. I don't want Sunday to come, as it really will put the tin hat on everything (pun intended), but at the same time it can't come soon enough! :D
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:11 pm

Aaaargh!!!! Suspense is killing me! :eek:
starlight

Postby Anglophile » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:00 pm

Lynnedean wrote:The Radio Times summary of this episode reads:

...The wheels within wheels whirr as we learn of a tragic, beautiful, bilingual, piano-playing mathematician whom Pierce recruited to be a wartime agent in France. ~ DB

Ah ha! Ages ago Horowitz tweeted "Just got to end of Part 4, Episode 3 of Foyle's War. "For Elise". One of the saddest episodes I've written."
Clearly been renamed, but I wondered if there would be a piano connection.

starlight wrote:Aaaargh!!!! Suspense is killing me! :eek:

How long till Sunday?!?!
"Why have you brought us to shelter in the fuel dump, Andrew?"
Anglophile

Postby Wolesley » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:33 am

In the second part of her recent interview, HW talks of tearing up and feeling she's going to a funeral as herself, not only as Sam, and she says it's the funeral for "a very important character in FW."
Well, Foyle, Adam, Pierce, Valentine are all there, and I doubt she'd be too sad over Meyerson, so who would it be? Not Andrew. Not Milner. There'd be no point in doing that.
It seems clear from the filming photos and the plot summary that it must be the female character that Hilda had sent over as an SOE Agent (repatriated remains?), but how is she such an important character, if we've never met her before? Important in that episode, but not emotionally important?

I'll just have to wait and see, obviously, but I am puzzling over HW's words.

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby kitchentease » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:14 am

Elise - Elizabeth - or is this too obvious? Addis and Hilda clearly have some history but Addis isn't a mathematician.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby dogstar » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:49 pm

Could it possibly be Miss Pierce? Perhaps we find a backstory that makes us love and respect her, and maybe she dies from injuries suffered in the assassination attempt? :noidea: I'll admit to being a big HP fan--I enjoy the smart and tough character and the actress is terrific.
Dogstar

"However, I'm richer and you're happier, and I think I know what's best."
dogstar

Postby jewell » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:10 pm

I have decided it is Hilda Pierce's funeral. I don't have sufficient evidence but lack of evidence still convicts people in what we call the justice system nowadays.

My take on HW's interview was that the character was an important FW character but most of the sadness HW was feeling was for the "death" of her character, Sam. The "death" being caused by the show ending - figurative, not literal.

Random Jewell opinions on an early Saturday morning.

J

jewell

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:32 pm

jewell wrote:I have decided it is Hilda Pierce's funeral...

I'd agree, but the pre-reviews appear to indicate that the attempt on Hilda's life is unsuccessful. Then again, that could be just the press playing along and not giving the game away. This little bit in the TV Times may well mean that she dies later as a result of the attempt. Oh, well, we'll know soon enough.

Lynnedean

Next

Return to Series 9 (January 2015)