S9 E1 High Castle

High Castle (1946); Trespass (1947); Elise (1947)

Re: S9 E1 High Castle

Postby cmee57 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:56 pm

Clayton Del Mar's pseudo Southern accent was "pluperfect awful" (Southern for really, really bad) Wish the accent had not been attempted at all. :-x

Must say that MK was in excellent form! :samkiss: :foyle5:
"Special! And it's my word, anyway. I'm perfectly entitled to use it, so do bugger off. I'm sticking with it! Thank you!" - Alibi
cmee57

Postby Englishfan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:50 pm

Janewilts wrote:I enjoyed this episode more watching it for a second time.

I have been excited to see it again and just haven't done it. But I really loved it the first time (even with the choppy reception) and think that this show, in context of the next two episodes, will be favorites.

Hang on..... :foyle5:

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby starlight » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:22 pm

cmee57 wrote:Clayton Del Mar's pseudo Southern accent was "pluperfect awful" (Southern for really, really bad) Wish the accent had not been attempted at all. :-x

Must say that MK was in excellent form! :samkiss: :foyle5:

MK's form is always enjoyable.

As for the accent on Del Mar, well, they made a right mess of the Polish in Series 8

Here's what I can't understand, though: they PUT OUT TO TENDER WITH A TRANSLATION AGENCY for an accurate rendition into French of an intelligence report

Sample text quoted on the job sheet was
Report on the terrorist attack of the ship named Jericho. Suspects include the defenders of Palestine. Suspected mode of attack; two limpet mines attached to starboard side of ship. 1 bomb was found still intact, including four and half pounds of explosives and detonators and aniseed balls.

but, seriously, who's going to read it?

Whereas they let one of their main characters speak in a buffet of tongues, knowing full well that the series is going to be exported to the US.

OY VAY! :awkward:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Anglophile » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:17 am

Finally, finally got to watch it! And I'm with Englishfan; I really, really liked it. It's never going to be as good as it was, but for what it is now, I thought it was about as good as it could be. (Of course I was also in a "daze of happiness" just to be watching a new Foyle's!)

SPOILERS! (Although if you're still reading after 4 pages, you're beyond being spoiled :wink: )

Pretty much all the old humor/personal side was missing, as in the last series, (but that was to be expected), and it was an awful lot to cram in one episode. And an awful lot to follow - was still sorting it all out as the credits ran. Fascinating history, as usual (even if it does leave you feeling that Foyle is just a means to the end), and starkly filmed. Certainly not the best Foyle, and not going to be a favorite, but watching it for the first time I really enjoyed it.

There wasn't enough Foyle and Sam, there so rarely is; I was quite annoyed he never asked about her after her undercover job (will they never learn not to send Sam undercover?!), quite jealous of the "intelligent redhead" (a replacement for the efficient Charlotte from s. 8?), and extremely jealous of Addis going along in the car with him. (Definitely not properly explained...if she's
Mrs Knowles's friend why'd she stay with the car?! That's SAM'S job thankyouverymuch.)

Not too sure about Dr Addis...nice to see Foyle pseudo-flirting, but not sure I would've picked her - seemed a bit pinched or hard (of course, that can, and probably will, change). Eager to see where (and how far) they go with that!

That was a cheap shot with Adam and Vera - hey, it's a V, Wolesley!

It was a shame about Mahoney's part; we were coming up with wild theories about him being behind it all, orchestrating all the murders; as it was, he definitely felt superfluous. But his ACCENT was much appreciated coming after the other guy's! So glad that annoyed the rest of you Americans too, it was dreadful.
(Capt Kiefer used to bother me a bit too, but never figured out if it was the accent or the acting that fell a bit flat.)

MK did look great, especially right after watching Sunflower. Missed the curls though! Ah well, an excuse to watch it again.

And about the coffee...I didn't notice how long it was steaming, but did anyone else notice that this was possibly (I think) the only time Foyle actually accepts a hot drink from someone?! What happened to "Thanks, I won't"? Guess that RAF flight to Germany really did him in. Or he's just a secret coffee fan, not sure he's ever been offered that before.

Oh and by the way, is it normal for them to play the theme song at the very beginning of the show when first airing it? (This is my first time watching it almost-live, was afraid I'd missed the usual pre-theme-song scene!) I didn't spot a date, either. Assuming it's supposed to be January 1947?
"Why have you brought us to shelter in the fuel dump, Andrew?"
Anglophile

Postby HarrietVane » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:48 am

Anglophile wrote:And about the coffee...I didn't notice how long it was steaming, but did anyone else notice that this was possibly (I think) the only time Foyle actually accepts a hot drink from someone?! What happened to "Thanks, I won't"? Guess that RAF flight to Germany really did him in. Or he's just a secret coffee fan, not sure he's ever been offered that before.

Oh and by the way, is it normal for them to play the theme song at the very beginning of the show when first airing it? (This is my first time watching it almost-live, was afraid I'd missed the usual pre-theme-song scene!) I didn't spot a date, either. Assuming it's supposed to be January 1947?

Coffee: he accepted coffee (or maybe it was a coffee substitute) from Mrs. Konstantin in "The Russian House" (and Sam brings him tea at least once in the station, but that's so close to home maybe it doesn't count.)

Music: I think in all the prior series there's been a scene before the credits (I believe the insider term is "cold open.") I had the same concern you did!
HarrietVane

Postby mohairMK » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:07 am

HarrietVane wrote:I think in all the prior series there's been a scene before the credits (I believe the insider term is "cold open.")

I noticed the episode jumping right into the music as well, but in my excitement to be watching the series we have been anticipating for so long, I guess I didn't think about it until it was mentioned here!
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby Anglophile » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:10 pm

HarrietVane wrote:
Coffee: he accepted coffee (or maybe it was a coffee substitute) from Mrs. Konstantin in "The Russian House" (and Sam brings him tea at least once in the station, but that's so close to home maybe it doesn't count.)

Music: I think in all the prior series there's been a scene before the credits (I believe the insider term is "cold open.") I had the same concern you did!

I quite forgot about Mrs Konstantin! I think it's a coffee thing. :D Although the trusting people/weak bladder theories on Tumblr work for me too. :lol:
(I didn't count Sam bringing him tea, or of course all the times he gets tea for himself.)

Interesting...wonder why they changed it? Especially starting with a prologue scene, it was a bit strange not to have the theme come after it. Well, glad we didn't miss anything!
"Why have you brought us to shelter in the fuel dump, Andrew?"
Anglophile

Postby Wolesley » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:35 pm

Anglophile wrote:I quite forgot about Mrs Konstantin!

Well, perhaps this little story will make her a more vivid character in your memory: :biggrin:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1264#p11516

If not that version, then there is another, warmer version on FanFic dot net. :rofl:

There is hot coffee in both!

Lesley (shameless self-promotion)
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby kitchentease » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:08 am

Anglophile wrote:
And I'm with Englishfan; I really, really liked it.

After watching this a second time, I'm coming around to this point of view. Perhaps both the dark subject matter and lack of light visually put me off initially. Perhaps AH felt that such a dark topic couldn't encompass any humour at all? I can't wait for Episode 2 after reading all the ecstatic comments from those who have already seen it.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby Wolesley » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:10 am

Well, this is a bit odd, but someone has posted all of High Castle on YT, but the video is set within a background frame, so you can't see it full screen.
For those who haven't been able to see it yet at all, it's better than nothing.

http://youtu.be/5-lQJ7QUfAA

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Sunshine » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:25 am

Thanks Lesley!

I'm going to try to download and save it before the goblins follow.... :foyle4:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby mohairMK » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:34 am

Wolesley wrote:Well, this is a bit odd, but someone has posted all of High Castle on YT, but the video is set within a background frame, so you can't see it full screen.
For those who haven't been able to see it yet at all, it's better than nothing.

http://youtu.be/5-lQJ7QUfAA

Lesley

It's not available to everyone...it's been 'terminated' in my area.
mohairMK

Postby Sunshine » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:51 am

Finally got to see it.

Nothing really to add to what everyone's already said, except that Honeysuckle Weeks can do well with audiobooks. :samkiss:

I do sense that there were plot twists done better in previous episodes - especially the climax, which reminded me of the endings of both "War Games" and "War of Nerves" - basically, a brand of justice coming from someone or something other than Foyle.

And I suspect Foyle took the coffee because it came from someone he trusted. :foyle1:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby mohairMK » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:34 pm

Sunshine wrote: - basically, a brand of justice coming from someone or something other than Foyle.

Well noted.
mohairMK

Postby Samfan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:00 pm

I watched this again last night. So did Foyle let Knowles' wife keep the diamonds? I think he might have. Or did he take them to be returned to their rightful owners? Or did he think it'd be too difficult to find the rightful owners, and thought some good might come out of the stolen diamonds-healing Mrs. Knowles of her condition caused by the fuel additive (at least, that's what I think caused her condition).
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby starlight » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:22 pm

I think he lets her keep them, because she tells him that she'll die without them, and directly afterwards, when Addis asks if she'll be all right, he replies "She'll be fine".

Lifted from the transcript:

Foyle: You probably know where these came from.
Mrs K: Yes.
Foyle: And that would be where?
Mrs K: Monowitz.
Foyle: And you'd understand they don't belong to you.
Mrs K: But if you take them from me... .. I will die.

Addis: Will she be all right?
Foyle: She'll be fine. Thank you for coming.
Addis: What was it?

Foyle: Diamonds.
Addis: Did you let her keep them?
Foyle: What would you have done?

Read more at: http://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/ ... 24&t=15931
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Samfan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:35 pm

Thanks Starlight. That makes sense. :wave:
Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby amiga » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:40 pm

Thanks, Starlight. Always thought he let her keep them.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:57 am

Samfan wrote:... some good might come out of the stolen diamonds-healing Mrs. Knowles of her condition caused by the fuel additive (at least, that's what I think caused her condition).

Mrs. Knowles says she's been sick all her life, with kidney disease, so her illness isn't related to the fuel additive. The diamonds will pay for her treatment in America with the new machine called a dialyzer. What we now call kidney dialysis.
Foyle, of course, wouldn't deny her chance of life-saving treatment by taking away the stolen diamonds.

Lesley
Wolesley

Previous

Return to Series 9 (January 2015)