[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - The Theme of Morality in "Sunflower" - Part 1

The Theme of Morality in "Sunflower" - Part 1

The Eternity Ring (July 1946); The Cage (August 1946); Sunflower (Aug/Sept 1946)

The Theme of Morality in "Sunflower" - Part 1

Postby starlight » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:33 pm

Anthony Horowitz has favourited this tweet, so he clearly appreciates the compliment. :-P

https://twitter.com/ramprana/status/428566851358965760

Feel intrigued to revisit the episode and see whether I agree with @ramprana (on his Twitter profile, he [feel sure it is a he] is a self-confessed "Avid Portuguese Poultry-Worshipper" :puzzled: , but each to his own).

Y'know, Twitter intrigues me by virtue of its vacuity. You can swoop in, make a sweeping statement and swoop out again. Nobody can tell whether you're a deep thinker or a prat. :cool:

Back later with an opinion, and maybe even some reasoned argument. Meanwhile, if anybody else wants to weigh in...

Starlight :rose:
Last edited by starlight on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Re: The Theme of Morality in "Sunflower"

Postby starlight » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:58 pm

Last edited by starlight on Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
starlight

Postby Wolesley » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:09 am

Starlight wrote:
"In a series where Foyle’s moral compass never (?) fails him, you could’ve knocked me down with a feather when the privilege of shopping Strasser to the Americans fell to Valentine.

For me, that raised an uncomfortable question: why didn’t Foyle do the honourable thing? It bothered me. I hate to see his integrity impugned. But on further reflection, Foyle’s behaviour in this instance is entirely in character. He challenges authority, and is more than ready to expose malfeasance outside his line of command, but he has never yet betrayed a superior. He’ll manoeuvre the superior into compliance, or invite it to do the honourable thing and remove itself, or he’ll resign from under its authority. But he hasn’t yet told tales."

I've watched this closing scene again and confirmed my belief that Foyle and Valentine conspired together to hand Strasser over to the Americans.
Colonel Jackson nods at Foyle to signal his thanks.
Valentine may have made the phone call, but I believe they were in it together.

Then Valentine steps up, as the senior agent, to take the blame and confront Pierce because he feels she's gone too far, using and protecting this Nazi, and he's had enough. It's clear Valentine has allied himself with Foyle in the earlier scene in Meyerson's office when Sir Alec chastises him, "You're not a policeman, stop talking like one!"

I really enjoy Valentine's gradual transfer of loyalty away from the Security Service over to Foyle and the side of Law and morality.

But I do hope Arthur will be back in the next series. Oh, I just checked Tim's page on IMDB and he has FW S9.1, .2, & .3 listed! Hilda Pierce is also listed for Ellie Haddington in S9, so perhaps she will explain how she decided to overlook Foyle and Valentine's 'treasonous' behaviour.

Your analysis of the theme of morality in this episode is a fascinating read. And your sleuthing of the tune being whistled is a huge addition to my understanding of the complexity of the character of Strasser.

I look forward to the next part!

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:58 pm

Original recording of the song ...
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:36 pm

starlight

Postby ayresorchids » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:34 pm

...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby Sunshine » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:30 am

And that, too (AC Summers in "The German Woman") involves the law directly in a case that Foyle is investigating.

Another circumstance in which Foyle didn't come completely forward to reveal someone wayward: In "War Games," when he keeps Devlin's evidence-tampering activities concerning young Harry Markham to himself, and explains why to Devlin.

Great discussion! :foyle1:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby kitchentease » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:47 pm

A wonderfully nuanced analysis, Starlight. You got me thinking about S8 as a whole and why it had to be different from the previous series. In the WWII years the battleground is fairly clearly drawn, Foyle's integrity and moral soundness are also clear and we love him for these. In the postwar years the ground underpinning both political and social structure is starting to move. Friends and enemies are harder to distinguish, power bases have shifted and the previously allied nations lack a common purpose, the validity of common societal values is questioned so choices become more difficult. AH wouldn't have been true to the world in which they found themselves if Sam and Foyle had stayed the same (much as I wish they had.) I was so thankful to Valentine for "sticking his head above the parapet" in this episode and saving it for me.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Return to Series 8 (March-April 2013)