Thoughtful article on Foyle in MI-5

The Eternity Ring (July 1946); The Cage (August 1946); Sunflower (Aug/Sept 1946)

Thoughtful article on Foyle in MI-5

Postby Wolesley » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:14 am

Interesting article, but I don't see a date anywhere (well, only in the web address).

http://www.theimaginativeconservative.o ... even.html#

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Re: Thoughtful article on Foyle in MI-5

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:42 am

Very interesting article, Lesley.

The staunch integrity of Foyle is consistently highly praised by viewers and reviewers. It's obviously the main attraction of the character, being a quality we long for in today's authority figures but rarely, if ever, see demonstrated. But Foyle is fictional; any personal qualities he possesses have been given to him by his creators, so any such comments about him actually say a great deal about Messrs Horowitz and Kitchen. And that's very interesting, too, I think.
Last edited by Lynnedean on Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:07 pm

“Quantitative judgements don’t apply”

:bananadance: I haven’t read much Evelyn Waugh, but I did once read an account by his son Auberon, relating how, during the war, his father sat down at the table and ate three bananas doused with cream and sugar in front of his children. Children who had not tasted a banana in an age.

The anecdote leads me to wonder whether writing is in fact a dangerous occupation: if, as an author, you pour the best of yourself onto the page, whatever’s left behind? :shock:

It’s the very problem allegorised by Oscar Wilde in “Dorian Gray”. :yikes:

And then there’s Wagner. How can such soaring music come from such a man? Or did he start out really nice, then degenerate with the beauty of each successive opera he wrote. Ack! :puzzled:

This pattern makes me fear for Mr Horowitz’s soul. It really does. Because his Foyle is such a paragon :fallenangel: , by the “quantitative judgements” standard (which, incidentally, I do concede as being worthy of respect, though Waugh himself—thanks to the earlier anecdote—can never be).

The suggestion made here, as I understand it, is that the small choices we make as individuals are what ultimately define our worth. In Foyle’s case, his brand of integrity does not derive from loyalty to “the service” at all costs, but from a weddedness to what, by his own lights, is right. Though in every other sense, Foyle operates as a sophisticate, Foyle’s god, if indeed he has one, is the god of small things.
What a man! :thud:

I sincerely hope, in writing the incomparable Foyle, that Mr Horowitz has not gone to the devil :twisted:

Starlight :lol:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Sunshine » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:41 pm

Fine analysis of Foyle's conduct in this series. Did the matter of the keys bug anyone? (I think this was discussed in the Eternity Ring string of posts, so I'll go back and look. :foyle1: )
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Wolesley » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:03 pm

I questioned his keeping the keys, but then, really, after hearing Valentine's heartless remark, "Interview postponed," I can see Foyle wanting to hang on to some professional advantage as the investigation continues.

And it all was still connected to them implicating Sam in the case, for some unknown reason at that point.

So, really, Foyle did "liberate" the keys from all the other MI-5 people he did not trust. :foyle3:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby starlight » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:21 pm

Sunshine wrote:Fine analysis of Foyle's conduct in this series. Did the matter of the keys bug anyone? (I think this was discussed in the Eternity Ring string of posts, so I'll go back and look. :foyle1: )

Absolutely not. He does it because a) he suspects he's been played and b) Sam's back is to the wall.

Foyle is nobody's mug. Elements at MI5 might fancy that they've written it into his job-description, but his reaction is simply to cross it out. :cool:

Starlight :rose:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Englishfan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:19 pm

From the article, this is the part I loved best.....

the magnificent Michael Kitchen

...even though the entire article was excellent.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Return to Series 8 (March-April 2013)