General Series 8 discussion

The Eternity Ring (July 1946); The Cage (August 1946); Sunflower (Aug/Sept 1946)

General Series 8 discussion

Postby Sunshine » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:20 pm

In watching the shows and reading summaries, reviews, etc., I wonder whether AH has placed Foyle not really in his element.

I remember how he told Hilda Pierce in "All Clear" that she likes the shadows. But HE doesn't. Foyle has always excelled as a police officer by bringing things out into the open and getting justice, which he may not be able to get in the way he wants in this new role. :foyle3:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Re: General Series 8 discussion

Postby bee » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:54 pm

Well I for one thoroughly enjoyed the new series, at least as much as the original one. I loved the colours (or the lack of them) and did not mind the grimness at all. Hilda was a great asset to the new show, and I also liked Valentine. The plots were all interesting, with a special mention for The Cage in that respect.

But and that’s a major but I do agree that the private side of Foyle in general and the non-professional interaction between Foyle and Sam in particular fell a little short, especially in episodes two and three. The glimpses into Sam’s and Adam’s private life do not make up for the lack of Foyle’s. It all boils down to Andrew really, a cameo such as in All Clear would have been lovely.

But all in all I really enjoyed the new setting and in view of the generally positive response to the series (and potential additional markets for the series as a whole) I am confident that there will be more…
There is no one else...
bee

Postby jewell » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:43 pm

Bee,

I both agree and disagree with you.

But, my disagreement is just a matter of taste, I think. I dislike the colors and darkness of the new series. I heave a sigh of relief when we finally get a snippet of a scene in daylight. And, I think the lighting does The Man a disservice.

I agree that it all could have been better with more personal interaction with Foyle. I would have really liked to have seen Andrew in a bit, but barring that I think they could have had more and deeper interactions between Sam and Foyle. I also think they underutilized Hilda Pierce in the second and third episodes and she could have interacted more personally with Foyle, as she did in The Eternity Ring.

Not many smiles for our hero in this bunch. :sad:

I really hope you're right and the ratings will justify more series. Even a grim Foyle is better than no Foyle at all.

Jewell
Last edited by jewell on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby amiga » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:19 pm

I agree with all the positives and negatives posted. I have to revise my initial post where I was really unhappy with it all. I wanted my old Foyle back and kept waiting for him to show up. Now that I have all of the episodes downloaded and can watch them without all the stopping and freezing I was experiencing with the streaming sites, I am better able to "see" it. What helped me was reading an earlier post by Lynne where she said, “.....that's because I'm not seeing it as Foyle's War any more but something completely different.”

I've now watched ER and Cage with that in mind and it has changed my attitude considerably. Through it all, CF is still a cop and he hasn't changed and is there throughout the three episodes. What has changed, of course, is everything around him and I wish some of that had been handled differently. I don't like the new Sam, and CF needed some kind of personal back story, even if it was as simple as seeing him in his apartment. I always loved those scenes of seeing him at home. Andrew showing up for a scene or two would have been perfect. We've always needed to see that side of Foyle as he's always been too grim. When the lighting on him is right, MK looks as gorgeous as ever. When it gets all gray and dark is when he looks older and tired.

This series will never be my favorite, but now it's mainly because I don't really like spy shows. It bothered me that I felt so negative about it, but I feel much better about it now. CF/MK are what I loved, and both of them are there.....all I need.

I wouldn't have minded if he would have used to MI-5 connections to find Barbara Hicks. :lol:

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Englishfan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:29 pm

amiga wrote:
This series will never be my favorite, but now it's mainly because I don't really like spy shows. It bothered me that I felt so negative about it, but I feel much better about it now. CF/MK are what I loved, and both of them are there.....all I need.

Amiga

I bet it was the starting and stopping of the show via the computer site as you watched the show that caused you the anxiety. So glad you like it as you are one of Mr. Kitchen's most loyal fans!

amiga wrote:I wouldn't have minded if he would have used to MI-5 connections to find Barbara Hicks. :lol:

PPPPLLLLLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEEE!!!!!!!! Okay, if he's happy with her, I can support that connection. But maybe, just maybe, there's someone back in Hastings with whom he'd like to reconnect?! I'm just not positive on Barbara yet. Need additional interaction. And she better not hurt him in any way.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby amiga » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:37 pm

Englishfan wrote:
amiga wrote:

Amiga

PPPPLLLLLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEEE!!!!!!!! Okay, if he's happy with her, I can support that connection. But maybe, just maybe, there's someone back in Hastings with whom he'd like to reconnect?! I'm just not positive on Barbara yet. Need additional interaction. And she better not hurt him in any way.

Englishfan

No one back in Hastings but prissy Elizabeth. He needs someone with a little fire. We saw the spark, too bad we never got to see the flame! :lol: :lol:

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby jewell » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:41 pm

amiga wrote: When the lighting on him is right, MK looks as gorgeous as ever. When it gets all gray and dark is when he looks older and tired.

That's what I was trying to say. Thanks, friend.

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby Englishfan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:42 pm

P.S.

Englishfan wrote: And she better not hurt him in any way.

Englishfan

"I'm watching you, Barbara Hicks!" :geek: :shock: :toetap:

E'fan
Englishfan

Postby Englishfan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:45 pm

amiga wrote:
No one back in Hastings but prissy Elizabeth. He needs someone with a little fire. We saw the spark, too bad we never got to see the flame! :lol: :lol:

Amiga

I do want the FLAME! If Barbara can light it, okay, but I repeat, "I' m watching you Barbara Hicks :geek: :shock: :toetap:!"

E'fan
Englishfan

Postby menopausalgoddess » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:28 am

Newbie here, Ke from UK.

Honeysuckle has posted a tantalising tweet .... Ms Outhwaite's outstanding performance in S8 means a possible reboot of this role :thumbsup:

She was in Cannes with Anthony Horowitz ... Fingers crossed for more FW.
menopausalgoddess

Postby menopausalgoddess » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:02 am

Yesssss, Anthony Horowitz tweets that ITV want more Foyle's War and that he may have been a tad hasty putting away his pen!

Wonderful news

:wave: :thumbsup: :foyle1:
menopausalgoddess

Return to Series 8 (March-April 2013)