SPOILERS for Sunflower

The Eternity Ring (July 1946); The Cage (August 1946); Sunflower (Aug/Sept 1946)

Re: SPOILERS for Sunflower

Postby starlight » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:17 pm

jewell wrote:
Lynnedean wrote:Of course, you're right, Jewell, Sam arranged the wire tap. But that makes it worse! Did she say it had been ordered by Foyle? (Sorry, I can't remember exactly how it came about and I don't have time to find the scene in the ep.) If she didn't do it in Foyle's name, then I don't see how she could have done it at all, because she wouldn't have had the authority to order it herself.

They don't spell it all out in the episode but I was left believing that Sam had arranged it in Foyle's name.

Not Sam-like at all and pretty bloody nervy. (I keep wanting to use a ruder term than nervy but it's rude and not anatomically correct when discussing a woman)

Not good.

J

Or even "very good". I'd like to see that dynamic: Foyle reacting to a "ballsy" Sam. Provided that she doesn't land them both in jail first.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby amiga » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:45 pm

I don't like anything about this new Sam. Granted she has grown up and is married, but she still works for CF; they are not equals. She had to know she was putting CF in jeapardy. He has always been there to help her; and if she had just asked, he probably would have. Hope AH comes up with another storyline for her. Don't care about the Sam/Adam backstory either. Takes up too much of CF's screen time.

If they didn't have private detectives back then, then call it something else, but I think CF should work for himself. He has such disdain for all those in authority that I think he would be so much happier running things himself. He could go back to Hastings, open an office, maybe hire Sam, if she behaves, bring back Milner and Andrew and they could all live happily everafter, and so could we. :smile:

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby ayresorchids » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Foyle and Sons
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby jewell » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:00 pm

ayresorchids wrote:Foyle and Sons

They could hash it out over dinner...

:rofl: :lol: :foylekiss: :samkiss:
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby amiga » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:04 pm

Perfect! I love Foyle & Sons. Can't you just see the eye rolling! :eyeroll:

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby hazeleyes57 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:05 pm

Foyle, Foyle (as in Mrs S) and Sons sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

If it's any help, I've 'killed off' Adam (although I did feel a tiny tiny smidgen of guilt, as I do prefer this actor to t'other one). :lol:
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby amiga » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:01 pm

hazeleyes57 wrote:

If it's any help, I've 'killed off' Adam (although I did feel a tiny tiny smidgen of guilt, as I do prefer this actor to t'other one). :lol:

Thank you for that, Hazeleyes!

Amiga
amiga

Postby Samfan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:53 am

Samfan wrote:Month of this Episode?

There's no month/year given for this episode at the beginning of the episode (I don't think). I'm wondering if if could be November 1946:

-When Foyle is talking to Sir Alec at the beginning of the episode (the first scene in which we see Foyle, right after the credits, I think), I thought Sir Alec had a red poppy in his lapel-for Rememberance Day.

-Lots of fires in fire places, gloves, coats, and hats.

Samfan

Nope, I'm wrong about the possible red poppy in Sir Alec's lapel. It's just a red handcherchief and perhaps a watch chain.

Samfan
Last edited by Samfan on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:13 pm

Ok, the 2 times (only 2?) I've watched this episode, I've wondered about this:

When Foyle is sitting in his office at MI5, and Charlotte comes in and tells him he can go and meet with the 'Dutch' professor at the library that night, after she leaves, Foyle looks ticked-off/a bit angry. Is it because:

-He has been told that Sam has left early (Charlotte told him this)?
-Or is it the fact that he has to meet with a Nazi who he doesn't like?
-Or, a bit of both?

:puzzled:

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Wolesley » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:25 am

I believe Foyle is disgusted at having to meet with a Nazi, and also that "his" organization will protect and harbour an enemy of the British people just to get secrets about the new enemy. :foyle3:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Englishfan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:26 pm

Wolesley wrote:I believe Foyle is disgusted at having to meet with a Nazi, and also that "his" organization will protect and harbour an enemy of the British people just to get secrets about the new enemy. :foyle3:

That's what I thought.

As the story progressed, it seemed to me that he was disgusted even more with the fact that the British were harboring an enemy to get secrets than he was in having to meet with a Nazi. :foyle3:

Good question, though.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby Englishfan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:28 pm

hazeleyes57 wrote:

Who does "Mrs. S" stand for? Not trying to be funny; I really don't understand the S. I guess if it were "F" as in Foyle, I'd get it.

I'm dense. So sorry, hazeleyes57.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby amiga » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:30 pm

I agree. If he didn't get mad at Sam for the other things she pulled, I don't think he would have for her going home early. He was pretty much driving himself around anyway.

Amiga
amiga

Postby ayresorchids » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:14 pm

Englishfan wrote:Who does "Mrs. S" stand for? Not trying to be funny; I really don't understand the S. I guess if it were "F" as in Foyle, I'd get it.

I'm dense. So sorry, hazeleyes57.

She means his wife Samantha, Englishfan. It's a shippy thing. :samkiss:
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby Samfan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:11 pm

Thanks everyone! :wave:
I had a feeling he was more disgusted with the fact that he had to meet with a Nazi, but I just wondered...
Samfan
Samfan

Postby starlight » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:01 pm

Samfan wrote:Thanks everyone! :wave:
I had a feeling he was more disgusted with the fact that he had to meet with a Nazi, but I just wondered...
Samfan

You wondered, because the writers/MK wanted you to wonder - a game they play with viewers constantly. It's disingenuous. You're neither wrong nor right.

There's another element there which no-one's mentioned. Charlotte is so pointed in her criticism of Sam for leaving early, you could also read Foyle's reaction as irritation with Charlotte.

Layers upon layers upon layers upon layers ...... :rantblue:
starlight

Postby Samfan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:14 pm

You know, a few times during the 2 episodes that had Charlotte and Sam interacting, I wondered if there was a bit of a rivalry or jealousy between Charlotte and Sam. Sam just looked slightly irritated when Foyle (or someone else, but usually Foyle) asked Charlotte to do something (sorry, no specific examples here--would have to go through the eps again--just speaking off the top of my head).

Samfan
Samfan

Postby starlight » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:17 pm

Samfan wrote:You know, a few times during the 2 episodes that had Charlotte and Sam interacting, I wondered if there was a bit of a rivalry or jealousy between Charlotte and Sam. Sam just looked slightly irritated when Foyle (or someone else, but usually Foyle) asked Charlotte to do something (sorry, no specific examples here--would have to go through the eps again--just speaking off the top of my head).

Samfan

Charlotte is an "old hand". She goes by the book. Quite probably she has no experience of the type of working relationship Foyle and Sam have. Professionally, she's helpful, but not about to grant any personal favours. I think that's about the top and bottom of it. She's he same with Foyle. No personal warmth towards him. If her boss, Valentine says he can have a file, she'll get it to him with a bow of ribbon round it. :D If Valentine says not, Foyle can whistle. :whistling:

That's the point: they're a different "sort" at MI5.
starlight

Postby Samfan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:08 am

I just watched Sunflower tonight on my Region 2 DVD, with the subtitles. The subtitles helped clarify for me what Sam said toward the beginning of the episode (wouldn't of caught it maybe, without them). As she and Foyle are walking out to the car, Sam says that Adam is a Private Secretary (we soon learn he's working under a Minister). Well, I know that Adam's an MP, but I guess I thought that MPs were all one 'thing'--people making laws. I guess that there are many positions that carry the term MP (like Private Secretary to a Minister)?

I don't know anything, really, about the British (UK?) Parliament (what's the correct term?). The only time I really see anything about the Parliament in England is every once in awhile, C-SPAN (a news feed channel here in the US) will show the Prime Minister addressing/debating with the House of Commons.

So, can someone point me to a good website that explains (as simply as possible :D ) about how Parliament works, and what MPs do? I tried Wikipedia, but I'm still confused... :puzzled:

Thanks!! :wave:

Samfan
Samfan

Postby starlight » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:20 am

Hi Samfan,
:wave:
The official site is http://www.parliament.uk/about/
But I would sooner read http://www.rogerdarlington.me.uk/Britis ... ystem.html
Specifically re Adam's role, there's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliament ... _Secretary

Starlight
starlight

PreviousNext

Return to Series 8 (March-April 2013)