SPOILERS for Sunflower

The Eternity Ring (July 1946); The Cage (August 1946); Sunflower (Aug/Sept 1946)

Re: SPOILERS for Sunflower

Postby hazeleyes57 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:16 am

The Roger Darlington site was fascinating. I've learned more about our political system in the last 15 mins than I have in the rest of my life!! Thanks for posting :thumbsup:
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Samfan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:51 pm

starlight wrote:The official site is http://www.parliament.uk/about/
But I would sooner read http://www.rogerdarlington.me.uk/Britis ... ystem.html
Specifically re Adam's role, there's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliament ... _Secretary

Thanks for these, Starlight!! They are very helpful--although I think its going to take me quite a bit more study to understand the in's and out's of MP and parliament!!

I think I got a basic understanding of what a Parlimentary Private Secretary (PPS) does, and that he/she gets paid just an "MP" salary (nothing extra), and that they have to vote in-line with the government on "payroll votes", and that he/she may work for a minister (as Adam does). A bit confused about Payroll Votes--but more study on my part will clarify that. I was mostly interested in what Adam's job entails.

Thanks again!!

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Sunshine » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:06 pm

I finally saw the episode.......Liked it, but yes, it harkens back to no fewer than 3 episodes ("50 Ships" at the end, "Broken Souls" with Foyle's interview of the patient and "All Clear" with the operation flashbacks). And I don't like the way Sam's crossing the line, either. I do like Adam, though, and Daniel Weyman did a good job, considering he replaced an actor I liked in the role. :foyle3:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Englishfan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:36 pm

I really like Sunflower. It seemed like CF was on screen quite often, too!

The airport scene at the end is topnotch.

My DVDs arrived today and I can see it again whenever I want!

Because of Mr. Kitchen's email interview, I knew he liked these new story lines and was ready for it, so that helped me to enjoy it even more than when it was first aired.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby amiga » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:09 pm

Sunflower was my favorite of the three, but I do still prefer those "weekly murders" in Hastings. I never did warm up to the new Sam. Their old relationship was charming and funny. Now, for me, it is neither. I realize that all things have to evolve, but as the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby starlight » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:32 pm

amiga wrote:Sunflower was my favorite of the three, but I do still prefer those "weekly murders" in Hastings. I never did warm up to the new Sam. Their old relationship was charming and funny. Now, for me, it is neither. I realize that all things have to evolve, but as the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Amiga

Yes, it's the All New grown-up Sam we're seeing here. She'll even go behind Foyle's back. IMAGINE. :shock:

Which makes it all the more extraordinary - and, I might add, interesting - that he indulges her and tolerates it. :foyle3:

Must be lurve. :cool:

Starlight
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Wolesley » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:35 pm

What I find intriguing about the way Foyle and Sam are working within MI5 is that they both seem to have decided that, since everyone around them is lying, withholding info and not being straight, they can do the same while still working on 'the side of the angels.'

Foyle warns Sam that she could be prosecuted for what she's done (and Adam is really disturbed by it), but he doesn't exactly 'forbid' her to do it. In fact he helps her investigate. And then he lies for her - I actually laughed out loud, when he's being questioned by Meyerson about the wiretap, and he says it's to do with 'Red Five.' An outright lie - and Foyle doesn't bat an eyelid! Clearly he feels contempt for his "superiors" to so easily lie to them. :foyle3:

Definitely a new world for our hero, this spy game!

At the end, Pierce accuses him of being a traitor to the service. So that suggests he could be 'drummed out' of MI5 by the next episode, leaving the field wide open for a new working situation or for new locations. Horowitz hasn't tweeted whether CF is still with MI5 or not, in the new episodes he's writing.

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Lynette » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:25 am

Okay, so this season of three was only marginally better than the last one. I still think it should've ended with the V-E Day episode.

Nitpicky comment: in Sunflower, the US flag shown over the embassy door is wrong, It's the modern 50-star version, which didn't come into use until around 1959 or so. (In 1947 there were only 48 states and the flag had 48 stars.) Alaska and Hawaii didn't become states until the late 1950s.

FW never used to get stuff like that wrong.
Lynette

Postby Wolesley » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:35 pm

Just rewatching Sunflower, and I must say, Mr. K is looking very good in the lamplit scene in the library with Strasser. His hair looks much better, more neat and well-trimmed (not so fluffy as in the previous series), and the lines on his face softened by the low lighting.

Very appealing, despite the uncomfortable interview with the Nazi. Love how he avoids answering any questions, and says, "Wonder why he hasn't used it (the gun). Would have saved a lot of trouble." :foyle3:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Wolesley » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:54 am

A question: in CF's early scene with Valentine, when Arthur comments on, or kids Foyle about, having drawn the case about Strasser, he adds a word - I think he says "bella," which would be 'beautiful' in Italian. Is that what he says?

Sort of meaning - 'trust them to give you the very undesirable case where you have to deal with an ex-Nazi. Wonderful!'

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:29 am

Not "bella", Lesley. What Valentine says is: "So, you pulled Strasser. Bad luck."
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:55 am

Lynnedean wrote:Not "bella", Lesley. What Valentine says is: "So, you pulled Strasser. Bad luck."

Ah! The Germanic vowels of 1940's Received Pronunciation. English As She Was Spoke.

Lovely, innit tho'? :thumbsup:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Wolesley » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:07 am

Well, that makes perfect sense, now.
Funny, I did listen to it several times, and could not hear the two separate words. Need a listening horn, I guess. :eyeroll: :rofl:

Thanks, you two!

Lesley
Wolesley

Previous

Return to Series 8 (March-April 2013)