SPOILERS for Sunflower

The Eternity Ring (July 1946); The Cage (August 1946); Sunflower (Aug/Sept 1946)

SPOILERS for Sunflower

Postby Samfan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:46 pm

Well, I just wanted to say--

There has to be some sort of explosion that involves Sam right? :lol:

-Maybe she's near the car that gets blown up (we see that in the trailer for Sunflower) :shock:

Can't wait :waiting: (but sad that it will be over...)

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Re: SPOILERS for Sunflower

Postby bee » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:47 pm

Well, here's the write-up. Lots of spoilers, evidently...

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep3week15/foyles-war
There is no one else...
bee

Postby Samfan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:10 pm

bee wrote:Well, here's the write-up. Lots of spoilers, evidently...

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep3week15/foyles-war

WOW!! :shock: That is a lot of spoilers...

I started reading and stopped after glancing at part I. I don't mind a few spoilers, but I don't want to know every detail before I watch it... :biggrin:

Thanks bee!

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Wolesley » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:30 am

Samfan, do you have a link to the trailer for Sunflower?

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Samfan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:10 am

I'll have to cheeck around for one. In my origianl post, I was thinking about the trailer that came at the end of The Cage.

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Wolesley » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:51 pm

Oh right, that one! Thanks!

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby starlight » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Dear-oh! Could the backdrops get any greyer? Treetrunks included? Could the sunlight get any hazier? Could people's smoking habits get any chainier? Could the work get any dirtier? Could Foyle look any wearier? Could his bosses be any more devious?

ENOUGH! :rantblue:

The whole thing is tainted! Back to Hastings with you, Man! Take your unique sanity and naff orf out of London. No-one's in control. They're like a bunch of amateurs around you. :huh:

If Sam's got an ounce of sense she'll leave as well, with bun in oven, and volunteer to hold your fishing rod. Adam can jolly well commute to work.

Next series? Letmewriteitplease!!!
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby historianheidi » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:52 pm

starlight wrote:Dear-oh! Could the backdrops get any greyer? Treetrunks included? Could the sunlight get any hazier? Could people's smoking habits get any chainier? Could the work get any dirtier? Could Foyle look any wearier? Could his bosses be any more devious?

ENOUGH! :rantblue:

The whole thing is tainted! Back to Hastings with you, Man! Take your unique sanity and naff orf out of London. No-one's in control. They're like a bunch of amateurs around you. :huh:

If Sam's got an ounce of sense she'll leave as well, with bun in oven, and volunteer to hold your fishing rod. Adam can jolly well commute to work.

Next series? Letmewriteitplease!!!

Pretty much exactly how I felt about this episode. He needs to be back in Hastings! As does Sam.

Next series? MayIwriteitwithyouplease?!!!
historianheidi

Postby bellis » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:51 pm

Yes, a disappointing end to the series.

Never heard of it referred to as " the joyfuls" before, though ...
bellis

Postby Sunshine » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:52 am

That doesn't sound good.......I wonder if AH should have left CF in America and Sam and Adam planning their wedding... :foyle3:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby historianheidi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:14 am

Sunshine wrote:That doesn't sound good.......I wonder if AH should have left CF in America and Sam and Adam planning their wedding... :foyle3:

To be fair, Sunshine, I really should watch this episode again before I really form an opinion of it. I didn't dislike it as such and it did throw up some interesting moral dilemma type questions. I think in some ways perhaps less time could have been spent on the sub plot, which to me, did feel a little shoehorned in (even though there was a comparable moral dilemma type issue in it).

Disclaimer: I may change my mind when I rewatch this episode.
historianheidi

Postby amiga » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:31 am

Just finished watching it on Brittv. Took twice as long with my connection and am not sure it was worth the effort.

Very disappointed, not just in this episode, but pretty much the whole series. I found it all to be too serious. CF needs to be in Hastings, or at least surrounded with the likes of Brooksie, Milner or Andrew and the more naive Sam. The new grownup Sam is too serious. The joy of the whole series was Sam and Foyle. In this, every time they were together, it was just business. Nothing about it excited me. CF looked tired and really not into it all and MK looked bored. Only shades of the old CF/MK was at the end of each episode when he wraps it all up.

Of course, I will buy it and watch it again, and maybe I'll feel differently if it's not stopping and starting every few minutes.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Samfan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:33 am

SPOILERS for specific parts

Well, I just watched the episode.

-I did like it because it reminded me of the 'older' FW's: Foyle going around questioning people, and Sam driving him around (it seemed to have a bit of slower pace then the first 2 episodes in this first series). But again--not enough Foyle/Sam interaction. And most of the time, Sam seemed Ticked-off. Not any humorous lines in this episode (either from Foyle or Sam--or Adam--or Miss Pierce).

-I got a bit lost in the subplot with Charles Gibson and the land buying/selling thing.

-The ending at the airport, just before the Nazi takes off (and Foyle shows up, and then the Americans), reminds me of "Fifty Ships", only this time--Foyle got justice--he got his man (well, at least for war crimes).

-Sounded rather ominous to me when Foyle says in the last scene, when he's sitting in the back seat (did he ever sit in the back seat in earlier episodes?), and Sam asks him, "where to, sir?" and he replies, "that's a good question." I want more episodes!!

-I really don't think Foyle's cut out for working for MI5. I agree with others--bring him back to Hastings!! (perhaps Adam will be disillusioned with politics, too, and they will move back to Hastings....).

-I agree with others here about this (and the last 2 episodes)--darker, grimmer. And not just the plot--the lighting. I miss sunny Hastings! Actually, I've noticed this with a lot of TV shows/movies within the last 10 years (or more)--just darker lighting in general--I don't like it.

-Like HistorianHeidi, I may have to watch this again. Glad I signed up for a week pass on Brit-TV.

-And a question for all these episodes: Honeysuckle Weeks says in a few interviews that I've read (that have been sited/linked to here on this site) that she thanked Anthony H. for renaming the hotel that Foyle stays in after her son, Wade (the "Wade Hotel"). Is that ever actually named in any of the episodes (particularly "The Eternity Ring")? Maybe it was originally included in a scene or dialogue but was cut? Or did I just miss it?

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Englishfan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:53 am

historianheidi wrote:Dear-oh! Could the backdrops get any greyer? Treetrunks included? Could the sunlight get any hazier? Could people's smoking habits get any chainier? Could the work get any dirtier? Could Foyle look any wearier? Could his bosses be any more devious?

That is hysterical, Starlight! And the smoking almost put me under the table, but your description is right-on!

Wish you could have seen my husband and I at the kitchen table trying to see the show on a computer screen!

HOWEVER.......

We enjoyed it.

Nope, not our favorite.

Not uplifting.

Loved Starlight's and everyone else's thoughts as you are right on, but the storyline was one we could follow (!) and I like seeing CF doing his job........although it's beyond clear that he doesn't like his job. CF may have learned that he doesn't like to have restraints in his work or taking orders from others. No surprise.

And now he has to come to grips w/the fact that MS Perce is not who he thought she was.

I liked Valentine's "turn-around" at the end.

Glad Sam is pregnant, I think, but will be interested to see how the baby is written into the story next time......and I do think there will be a next time. I'm not sure AH will write it. These are somewhat formulated and we need Mr. Kitchen to have the opportunity to show even more of his skills. I think AH is an amazing writer, but he is correct that he might be tapped on stories for CF.

I couldn't help but wonder how Mr. Kitchen would have played the role of Strauser (soldier....I think that was his name......from the Sunflower Battle) and how differently he would have conveyed the same emotions. Not that Strauser was bad....he was excellent....just wondered about Mr. Kitchen in that role

I think our volunteers on the forum should start writing. I think Mr. Kitchen might give you some competition, though, as maybe he will write from now on.

I did notice a few areas that let CF be a bit humorous. I thought that his replies to the Professor in the library were fun: he didn't make many! And there were a few other things, like when he told Sam that he had to cover up the lie he had just told for her made me laugh and it showed his fondness for her.

The first episode is by far the best. Glad I got to see the next two, though. I can't give them a rousing review and they didn't equate to the first, but they did have Mr. Kitchen.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby historianheidi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:10 am

Samfan wrote:SPOILERS for specific parts

-Sounded rather ominous to me when Foyle says in the last scene, when he's sitting in the back seat (did he ever sit in the back seat in earlier episodes?), and Sam asks him, "where to, sir?" and he replies, "that's a good question."

Samfan

At that point my husband exclaimed "Back to Hastings with you! Become a private detective!"

No idea if there were any private detectives in Sussex in 1946, but maybe it could work... :D
historianheidi

Postby Englishfan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:26 am

Maybe we should think of ways that CF, Sam, and Adam could get back to Hastings:

1) Longing for the old days, they all return and CF becomes the "manny" for the baby? :rofl:

2) A crime wave of stolen prams has spread through town of Hastings while CF is away; no choice but to return and use the new baby's pram as bait for the criminals? :noidea:

3) Andrew is in Hastings, CF misses him, returns to the old house, and the two of them create a music team that travels the world. Sam and Adam manage the pair? :geek:

4) CF goes to Hastings to open a fishing store where every fly is hand tied by him. Sam is the clerk. Adam stays home and takes care of the baby? :foyle1:

5) The baby has allergies in London. CF develops the same allergy. They all pack up the pre-fab house and take it to Hastings where the baby (a girl named Christine) and CF recover, only to find that CF has a knack for researching medicine as well as crime, and he discovers a cure for the allergy? :puzzled:

I can see that A.H. would be stuck for more story lines for another series. It's difficult to think of them. :asking:

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby Englishfan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:37 am

I have one more possible storyline for the Hastings series:

6. Sam and CF, who is in the backseat, are in the opening scene. CF lightens up and sits up straight as the car slows. A beautiful woman gets in with him in the back and Adam with Sam in the front. Sam repeats, "Where to, Sir?" And he says, "Home, Sam, home." And thus begins the next series.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby Samfan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:55 am

Month of this Episode?

There's no month/year given for this episode at the beginning of the episode (I don't think). I'm wondering if if could be November 1946:

-When Foyle is talking to Sir Alec at the beginning of the episode (the first scene in which we see Foyle, right after the credits, I think), I thought Sir Alec had a red poppy in his lapel-for Rememberance Day.

-Lots of fires in fire places, gloves, coats, and hats.

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:57 am

I have enjoyed these episodes and I would like there to be more, but that's because I'm not seeing it as Foyle's War any more but something completely different. I doubt there'll be any more, though, even if Anthony Horowitz & Co. were willing to go for it, because I can't imagine that the viewing figures will be high enough to persuade ITV to recommission. The main problem is that this is not the Foyle who so endeared himself to viewers through all the previous episodes: the man has changed, and I'm not sure if audiences will want to know this darker version of him. The previously bubbly Sam, too, has metamorphosed into something downbeat and serious; I'm afraid the best I can say about her now is that she looks very good in 1940s' women's hats.

Another problem is the overall feel of each episode. I agree with those who have commented on the greyness. The draining of the colour was obviously done to help create the austere atmosphere of post-war Britain, but the level of it has surely been misjudged, as the result is unrelenting grimness. And then in contrast - and contrast is the word - the light coming in through windows in some interior scenes is more like the beam of a strong searchlight than merely bright sunlight; it's far too heavy.

Occurs to me that "unrelenting grimness" is a phrase which also describes Foyle now. :foyle4:

One thing in the plot of the third episode has me itching for an explanation. After Foyle and Sam question Gibson and then leave him in his garden, the man goes into his house, and makes a 'phone call. We then see secret service officials at a PBX switchboard noting the making of the call and about to listen in. What? Did Foyle arrange for Gibson's line to be monitored on the off-chance he'd make an incriminating call? As we'd say on Tyneside: hadaway and jump! Also, as an ex-GPO telephonist (GPO = main UK telephone network) I'm intrigued as to how they were monitoring the line.

I note that at the end of this episode, Anthony Horowitz, imagining it likely to be the final last (!), redirects Sam's personal storyline down a happy road, the result of which would make it difficult for her to work alongside Foyle in the future, and then right at the close, tantalizingly leaves open the possibility of a further series! Sam, at the wheel, asks, "Where to, sir?" and Foyle replies "Good question" then looks to camera, as though the remark is addressed to the viewers. Mr Hwz being cute, I'd say.

Now sitting waiting for Bee to come up with the viewing figures ... :D
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby bee » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:43 am

Lynnedean wrote:Now sitting waiting for Bee to come up with the viewing figures ... :D

Well Foyle's viewing figures increased compared to last week: 5,9 million (including +1). Not too bad in view of the fierce competition including The Village and The King's Speech.

It was not the most watched show of the evening (that was Countryfiles), but IT BEAT THE VILLAGE! :thumbsup:

Apart from that I'll chime in tonight or tomorrow, after having rewatched Sunflower. But I did enjoy the episode and the series, with some caveats...
There is no one else...
bee

Next

Return to Series 8 (March-April 2013)