SPOILERS for The Cage

The Eternity Ring (July 1946); The Cage (August 1946); Sunflower (Aug/Sept 1946)

Re: SPOILERS for The Cage

Postby bee » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:36 am

amiga wrote:Did anyone see The Village? Seems it beat FW in the ratings. Hope that's not a sign that people didn't like the new Foyle.

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/1 ... on-Viewers

Amiga

I totally hate the BBC for starting this (over?)hyped series now. Why couldn't they wait two weeks? I think many people will be interested in both and they will tend to watch the BBC live and record ITV (because of the horrible ads which drive you crazy). As I said earlier the reactions on Twitter were very positive. There are even people who say that they didn't care for the war series but do like the new setting. Let's hope next week's ratings will be better ...

By the way here is a friendly video review of FW. FW starts at 3:44:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ ... read-video

Anyway I watched the first episode of TV yesterday trying to keep an open mind :wink:
Well one hour is not enough to really form an opinion and everything still feels a bit stilted. It is beautifully photographed and the landscape (Peak District) is breathtaking. There was no time yet to really warm to any of the characters but the little boy (the narrator) is really cute, and his older brother very handsome. As much as I like John Simm I thought the horriblemess of his character was a little overdone (but apparently there will be an explanation as JS confirmed in an interview on Radio 2 which I just listened to). I am certainly interested to learn how it will go on. Has anyone else watched it?
There is no one else...
bee

Postby Wolesley » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:25 am

What a great reviewer! Witty, friendly, knowledgeable; I'll certainly look for more of his stuff.

Lesley :biggrin:
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Englishfan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:38 am

Thank-you, Bee, for the video review of FW. That was fun to listen to his thoughts and see his support for his points as a video.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby Englishfan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:42 am

I just finished watching The Cage. I loved it. It's not the same as the first, but it starred Mr. Kitchen and he was his usual talented self. How could I ask for more?

I'm hoping that Sam's smile at the end indicates more than just Adam's win....I'm the ever optimistic Pollyanna and I want everyone happy.

Also hope that MS Ross will be in the next episode.

I think I have memorized the River Cruise commercial, but even the commercials were rather fun for me as they a bit different from those in the U.S.

Thank-you to all for ideas to be able to see it before the DVDs are available. We are an impatient bunch when it comes to our Mr. Kitchen!

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby Lynnedean » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:21 am

bee wrote:By the way here is a friendly video review of FW. FW starts at 3:44:

"Two words. He said two words." :lol:
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:19 am

Honeysuckle Weeks: "Who must surely go back to the 1940's when not working." :lol:

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby amiga » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:37 pm

Lynnedean wrote:
bee wrote:By the way here is a friendly video review of FW. FW starts at 3:44:

"Two words. He said two words." :lol:

Good thing actors don't get paid by the number of words they speak! :lol:

"If you can't stand getting out of the heat, get into Kitchen." Love it! :obsessed:

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Lynnedean » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:06 am

Comments by Mr HWz in response to reports of bloopers in FW and Downton ... Downton Abbey downer
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

The Cage - Youtube

Postby amiga » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:30 pm

The Cage is up on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sni3k8U8uU

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Re: The Cage - Youtube

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:43 pm

It isn't The Cage, Amiga - the uploader numbered the ep incorrectly. It's actually ep 3 - Sunflower
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:52 pm

Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby jewell » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:26 pm

Perhaps we should post the YT links in another thread such as Mr. K on YT.
That way people who desperately want to see the episodes but are avoiding the SPOILERS threads will be able to watch the episodes and join the conversation.

Someone who'd seen The Cageand Sunflowere-mailed me or I still wouldn't have known they were up.

I watched The Cage and I enjoyed it even more than the first one - which I really enjoyed.

I've only watched it once so maybe I missed it; who garrotted the three defectors? Major McDonald? Was that point explicitly made? I am watching between customers so forgive me if I missed something.

Two more concerns: What was the motivation of the young ex-SOE gentleman to break into a secured government facility, basically committing treason? I mean, I love me some Mr. Foyle, but even I would probably draw the line at committing treason.

At the end, when Foyle is confronting Galt, he says McDonald was the mole and tells Galt that Pachenko even tried to warn him? Did I miss Pachenko's warning, too? I assumed "Tin eye" was a warning against Galt, not a warning for him.

And now to watch Sunflower. Great name. Can't wait.

Jewell

Edit: For being too crabby. Believe me, this version is less crabby.
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby starlight » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:02 pm

jewell wrote:I've only watched it once so maybe I missed it; who garrotted the three defectors? Major McDonald? Was that point explicitly made? I am watching between customers so forgive me if I missed something.

Two more concerns: What was the motivation of the young ex-SOE gentleman to break into a secured government facility, basically committing treason? I mean, I love me some Mr. Foyle, but even I would probably draw the line at committing treason.

At the end, when Foyle is confronting Galt, he says McDonald was the mole and tells Galt that Pachenko even tried to warn him? Did I miss Pachenko's warning, too? I assumed "Tin eye" was a warning against Galt, not a warning for him.

Jewell

:lol: Jewell pays attention to the plot :lol:
Ex-SOE's motivation was altruism. He's like Foyle. He does things for the greater good. And because he wants to get his feet under Foyle's table at MI5. Think you're right about the other 2 but can't remember well enough to answer.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby jewell » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:31 am

starlight wrote: :lol: Jewell pays attention to the plot :lol:

Ex-SOE's motivation was altruism. He's like Foyle. He does things for the greater good. And because he wants to get his feet under Foyle's table at MI5.

Well, Mr. Foyle did keep his jacket on the entire episode so I was able to pay attention to other things. :biggrin:

Gotta watch it again and see if I can figure it out. Waiting for the SO to return from a trip so we can watch it together. Well, maybe I'll wait...

Jewell
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby amiga » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:35 pm

jewell wrote:

Well, Mr. Foyle did keep his jacket on the entire episode so I was able to pay attention to other things. :biggrin:

Jewell

And that coat! I was hoping it was contaminated and destroyed. :rantblue:

Amiga
amiga

Postby Englishfan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:38 pm

jewell wrote:

Jewell

The coat!!!!!! And WHY exactly do we want him to lose the coat?! :whistling: I thought I was the only one! :obsessed: My husband does an eye roll :eyeroll: when I speak of losing the coat! :rofl:

Englishfan :oops:
Englishfan

Postby Samfan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:56 pm

I like the coat...

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby menopausalgoddess » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:26 pm

Samfan wrote:I like the coat...

Samfan

Me too :-)
menopausalgoddess

Postby jewell » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:28 pm

I'm indifferent about the coat.

However, the less clothing, the better!

:foylekiss:

jewell

Postby menopausalgoddess » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:29 pm

:thumbsup:
jewell wrote:I'm indifferent about the coat.

However, the less clothing, the better!

:foylekiss:
menopausalgoddess

PreviousNext

Return to Series 8 (March-April 2013)