SPOILERS for The Cage

The Eternity Ring (July 1946); The Cage (August 1946); Sunflower (Aug/Sept 1946)

SPOILERS for The Cage

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:24 am

No spoilers in this first post re The Cage, just publicity pics from TVeasy and the TV Times, and blurb from the Radio Times in preparation for the airing of the ep ...

Image>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<Image

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Re: SPOILERS for The Cage

Postby amiga » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:41 am

Thanks, Lynne. Whoever wrote that sure loves MK! Can't wait for this episode.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Sunshine » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:42 pm

Here's a nice review, with a little bit of plot detail:

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/vx4kz ... 2-the-cage
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby starlight » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:37 pm

Valentine, a Perpetually Worried Man, reneges on his indebtedness to Foyle by tasking minions with spying on him, and obstructing his inquiries.

Foyle is largely unpeturbed by this and simply gets there by a different route. Several different routes, in fact - and every one of them carries a gentlemanly flavour of "up yours" about it.

However, finding that he's being denied access to essential files, Foyle has no choice but to deploy his secret weapon:

"Do I need to remind you how much you can trust me?" he asks Valentine patiently.

On the lips of any other man, this would count as blackmail. Foyle is , of course, a gentleman, and wouldn't stoop so low :whistling:

He gets his files.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby amiga » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:58 pm

Guess they have caught on to Tunnelbear. No access allowed. Just have to hope it will be put up on YouTube tomorrow! :sad:

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby bee » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:13 pm

amiga wrote:Guess they have caught on to Tunnelbear. No access allowed. Just have to hope it will be put up on YouTube tomorrow! :sad:

Oh no, I sure hope so! No problems on IC. GREAT episode, totally gripping. I must admit that I was a bit sceptical after Killing Time but this was fantastic.. A bit like French Drop reloaded. Loved when Foyle and Sam investigated together. Also great idea about those shoes! There simply must be more after this series!!!! Loved the scene that starlight mentioned. And lots and lots of other stuff, but I will have to rewatch it, even though the plot was much easier to follow than last time. Nice touch at the end about the doctor's wife being allowed to stay, and also that Foyle's "assistant" might get the job after all...

Great buzz on twitter as well! :thumbsup:
There is no one else...
bee

Postby Samfan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:38 pm

Well, I could not access it through ITV iPlayer, either with Tunnelbear (I even updated the software--still free), or through an add-on for Firefox called "Stealthy". Here's hoping for a YT feed tonight or tomorrow. And I can't do Identity Cloaker (I have a Mac). Boy, I'm really desperate. I'll have to watch old FW's, or Doctor Who's, or write FW fan-fic (one or two which I've worked on lately), or--Oh Lord, Help Me! Finish my Taxes.. GAAAAA!!!! I got a taste of the new FW with episode 1, now I need ep. 2!!

Help!!

Jealous of all you who can watch it!! :mrgreen: (green with envy).

Have fun!!

:sad: :D :-? (in other words, "Conflicted" :lol: )

Samfan
Last edited by Samfan on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:45 pm

Just hold on to your hats, folks - it'll take a little while for the episode to be made available on the ITV Player.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:48 pm

Actually, it is up now...

Last week, I didn't see it even at 10:00pm or so my time (2:00am? or so GB time). I saw it Monday morning by me (Monday afternoon by you in GB). It was put up faster this week...

:waiting:

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:02 pm

Hmn ... yes, Samfan, I've just checked and it's there in the ITV Player. The website required that I enter my postal code before allowing me access, so perhaps Amiga is right in thinking that ITV is using additional methods to prevent particular shows being viewed by people overseas. There's a word for this that I'm not allowed to use!

Sorry, folks!

Occurs to me that if the same system is now going to be applied to Downton Abbey on the ITV Player, US fans of that series are going to be very upset, because it seems that many of them view DA via proxy servers such as Tunnelbear.
Lynnedean

Postby Englishfan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:48 pm

From The Express: (If this is posted and I didn't see it, please delete. I just posted one and then found it, so I deleted that one myself, asI don't mean to repeat.)

Honeysuckle-Weeks-and-Michael-Kitchen-are-still-keeping-the-country-safe-after-the-war Honeysuckle Weeks and Michael Kitchen are still keeping the country safe after the war

We either like period drama or fantasy drama. Admittedly, much of the former comes from here and the latter from the United States.

We almost didn’t have Foyle’s War again. It was “axed”, only to have life breathed back into its sturdy, reliable format that draws most of its strength from two things: fine writing from Anthony Horowitz and seemingly effortless acting from Michael Kitchen. Indeed Kitchen, who once played Prince Charles, still sounds a bit like the heir to the throne if you squint a little while watching the television. Kitchen makes acting look easy and treats it like a craft.

The story has moved on a tad since we last visited Foyle. He has returned from America where something, yet to be explained, has happened. It seemed to involve politics but we can expect this to roll out over the next few episodes. It doesn’t matter because the enjoyable thing about Foyle is that he has a constant air of mystery.

We either like period drama or fantasy drama.

After jumping off the boat he was plunged into an MI5 investigation and so began a rich, challenging plot, with new twists and new characters erupting all the way. Horowitz can undoubtedly spin a yarn.

Foyle was not a willing MI5 subject (can’t think why) and found himself getting his old partner and driver, played by Honeysuckle Weeks, the sack. That made the detective inspector’s lip quiver slightly more than usual. He has always had a soft spot for her. However, he soon calmed himself and returned to the task at hand, which involved unmasking a double agent plot with two-and-a-half back flips, which would have given John le Carré cause for admiration.

One postscript. Foyle is out of luck with Weeks, nothwithstanding that he was old enough to be her father. She is now married and spends her evenings with her Labour candidate husband listening to Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata. Don’t you ever complain about the television again.
Englishfan

Postby amiga » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:56 pm

I saw it on Monday too last week, but then wasn't able to access it all week. So, I don't have much hope for tomorrow.

Not fair to tease us with last week. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Amiga
amiga

Postby Englishfan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:56 am

Englishfan wrote:One postscript. Foyle is out of luck with Weeks, nothwithstanding that he was old enough to be her father. She is now married and spends her evenings with her Labour candidate husband listening to Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata. Don’t you ever complain about the television again.

Don't you love the postscript from this news release?! Someone has been reading your Fanfic.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby starlight » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:23 am

Englishfan wrote:
Englishfan wrote:One postscript. Foyle is out of luck with Weeks, nothwithstanding that he was old enough to be her father. She is now married and spends her evenings with her Labour candidate husband listening to Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata. Don’t you ever complain about the television again.

Don't you love the postscript from this news release?! Someone has been reading your Fanfic.

Englishfan

LOL Englishfan! I love the postscript, yes, but any reader of the fic would know that Foyle's luck NEVER runs out in that regard. Adam's life/fidelity are hanging by a tenuous thread in fandom :cool:

No. I have the feeling our Express reviewer thinks (s)he's being fraffly original and subversive with that parting remark.

By the way, it beats me how the producers or AH can even think three measly episodes are going to be enough of MK's star turn as the one-man antidote to MI5. Series 8 is surely just a taster for more post-war Enigma-In-(Suspenders/)Braces fare? :wink:
starlight

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:49 am

I do love this new-style FW, but both the Foyle character and the storylines have become rather grim. If the series continues, it's going to need to give Foyle a bit of warmth from somewhere, because without Andrew and any sign of home life, he's in danger of being too solitary and cold to maintain one of the main aspects of his appeal. (Incidentally, where's he living these days?)

Something about S8-E2 which will undoubtedly be a great disappointment for many fans is the very little interaction between Foyle and Sam. Anthony Horowitz didn't write this episode; was the person who did not aware of how much the series depends upon the relationship between those two characters. It's to be hoped that 8-3 will go some way to restore the balance.
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:13 am

Lynnedean wrote:I do love this new-style FW, but both the Foyle character and the storylines have become rather grim. If the series continues, it's going to need to give Foyle a bit of warmth from somewhere, because without Andrew and any sign of home life, he's in danger of being too solitary and cold to maintain one of the main aspects of his appeal. (Incidentally, where's he living these days?).

Yes - I wondered too where he was living. Sam at least invites him to her home, and one would hope it's regular - not solely on a pretext.

I think you've put your finger on the problem though. Without a family context, or a home, or much of Sam, he lives in danger of becoming a sad old man. They EVEN failed to throw him any Hilda in this episode. :sad:
starlight

Postby amiga » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:58 pm

Did anyone see The Village? Seems it beat FW in the ratings. Hope that's not a sign that people didn't like the new Foyle.

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/1 ... on-Viewers

Amiga
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:10 pm

I enjoyed the episode, though as others have said, it did contain some recycled bits from previous plots - two people with the same name, the innocent prisoner, Foyle trying to get past guards at a gated secret operation, etc. - but still very worth watching.

I did like the brief bit where Foyle in his car was hiding behind a tree and then sprang out to follow the suspect! :foyle3:
Felt that Valentine (or rather Tim McMullan) should have been allowed more of a reaction when Foyle asked, "Do I need to remind you how much you can trust me?" Would have added depth to their working relationship.
Agree that there has to be some humanizing home-life to counter the work life, but perhaps with only 3 episodes planned Horowitz wasn't interested in including that. Makes me anxious as to how the third story will end. :-?
ETA (Thanks Samfan!) The title of episode 3 is listed on IMDB as 'Sunflower.'

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Samfan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:18 pm

For some reason, I thought it was "Sunflower," but I have no idea where I read that... :eyeroll:

--And what do you use to watch the episodes from Canada (still desperately seeking a way--I'm probably going to try Brit-TV tonight--pay for a week)?

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:40 am

Well, thanks to "Brit-TV" (thanks, Bee!) I got to watch it tonight.
Spoilers-Specific parts

-Loved the shoe scene between Sam and Ms. Brown (?), and the look on Sam's face when Foyle walks in.

-I felt bad for Sam when she told the joke about the butcher and the shotgun, and I was relieved a moment later when all the women laughed.

-I liked the little bits about Valentine wanting an eye to be kept on Foyle.

-Well, Sam didn't get into too much trouble with Foyle over the file. And she helped him out by telling him Valentine wanted information on him.

-Loved Sam finding the clue about the shoe bow at Barton Hall.

-I liked the scene between Foyle and the late doctor's wife. Very emotional.

-I also really liked the part where the former SOE guy goes to Barton Hall.

I agree with others who have said this: not enough Sam-Foyle interaction. I liked this one, but just not as much as the first one (but I'm sure it will grow on me :D ).
Samfan

Next

Return to Series 8 (March-April 2013)