[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - SPOILERS for The Eternity Ring

SPOILERS for The Eternity Ring

The Eternity Ring (July 1946); The Cage (August 1946); Sunflower (Aug/Sept 1946)

Re: SPOILERS for The Eternity Ring

Postby hazeleyes57 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:29 am

I had to grin when I read about the bus - my hubby is the same about any military vehicle or craft; the 'American' jeep that's not, the 'wrong' noise for a helicopter (don't get me started on 'Airwolf'!!), the re-painted tank that's British not Russian, etc, etc. When I laughingly pointed this out to him, he kindly reminded me that I did him the same favour during anything medical (that's not how you hold an automatic pipette, she's got an air bubble in the pipette tip, we don't call them centrifuges, we call them spin-bins, if you're doing DNA work you don't have your hair dangling over your bench, it takes waaaay longer than that to do that test in real life).
I confess we both laughed about the female pathologist in 'Murdoch Mysteries' stating that she had tested the dead body's adrenaline levels - Adrenaline was first discovered in 1895 by a Polish physiologist Napoleon Cybulski, then by a Japanese chemist Jokichi Takamine in 1900. He isolated it from sheep and oxen in 1901. As Murdoch is set in 1900, the idea of someone simply testing for it in a dead body was absurd!!
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Samfan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:56 pm

For those of you wondering about Hilda Pierce's back-story, Ellie Hadington does discuss that a bit in the "Making of" video (although, just in general terms):

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby starlight » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:50 pm

Re anachronistic buses et al... well, obviously it's a shame, but there was so much Foyle screentime in this episode, I could forgive them virtually anything. They could've landed a Lockheed Martin in the middle of Dublin's pseudo-Whitehall with impunity, for my money - just as long as MK was in shot.

Forgot to draw attention earlier (and don't believe that anyone has yet mentioned) the new facet of Foyle-the-Egalitarian on display in this episode. We already know that Foyle is neither sexist nor racist, and now we see evidence that he's tolerant of homosexuality too. His fair and compassionate treatment of sardonic, supercilious Valentine has made him a pal for life. :hug:

SL
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby historianheidi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:41 pm

historianheidi

Postby Lynnedean » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:25 pm

Yes, Starlight, as Heidi says, Foyle's liberal attitude towards homosexuality was demonstrated early on in the series, in FW2-2: Among the Few. In discussion on the first Michael Kitchen message board at the time of the airing of that episode in 2003, some, myself included, while welcoming it, did wonder if Foyle was a bit ahead of his time in his acceptance of Rex. We'd almost expect him to take that stance today, but in the 1940s it would have been very unusual.

That particular scene in AtF is, I think, one of my favourites from the whole series.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:53 pm

Yes - must admit that I'd forgotten Rex. Thanks both for reminding me.

I have no problem swallowing the idea of a "progressive" Foyle. He's a man who challenges accepted norms, analyses, and comes to his own conclusions. Not keen on bullies, or "the brass", not keen on being told what he should think. Yes, I like that. :thumbsup: Go Foyle!
starlight

Postby amiga » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:32 pm

What did I miss? When CF and Sam were taken from the apartment to get decataminated, CF was wearing a suit, no coat. When Hilda goes to the station to talk to CF, he is in a collarless shirt and braces, and then he puts on a raincoat. At the same time out the window we see Sam getting into a car in overalls. Where did CF get the clothes and raincoat?

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:45 pm

Wolesley

Postby Wolesley » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:52 pm

Wolesley

Postby Samfan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:01 pm

Poor Sam...

Just a few things I noticed while watching (again--yes I took notes :geek: )

-At 15:20: Sam appears to be ill when she gets off of the bus

-At 50:00: She tells Foyle, "Ive had some difficulty. Something has happened that makes me believe that starting a family won't be as straight forward as I previously imagined."
(I think one of the reviews mentioned that Sam would be troubled about something).

So, now of course I'm wondering what the difficulty/illness that might cause her difficulty in becoming pregnant. :puzzled: Hope we learn more (and I hope it turns out OK for her and Adam).

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:55 pm

I think we're meant to assume that she'd had a miscarriage, Samfan. It adds some dramatic depth to the previously jolly hockey-sticks Sam, which is something that Honeysuckle Weeks wanted for the character, and it's surely a ploy on the part of Anthony Horowitz to ensure that there will be no pregnancy and then a child, which would otherwise be expected of the young couple, to interfere with her continuing to work with Foyle.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Sunshine » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:40 pm

Wasn't the treatment Foyle got for Sam for the anthrax attack in "Bad Blood" also a slight anachronism (actually available a couple of years later)? :foyle3:

Episode descriptions sound great! To quote Sam in "Bleak Midwinter": "I'll see what I can dig up." :foyle1: :samkiss:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Samfan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Samfan

Postby historianheidi » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:05 am

historianheidi

Postby Samfan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:15 am

Some of the scenes in Eternity Ring reminded me of other FW eps:

-The dinner party toward the beginning of the episode. Reminds me of the dinner party in Fifty Ships--even the conversation was similar.

-Max Hoffman helping the young Polish pilot, and then Foyle asking Miss Pierce to help the pilot. Reminds of Foyle helping Niko in The Russian House.

--And for it supposedly being July, the characters certainly wore a lot of coats and gloves. This was probably the case in other eps that supposedly took place in summer, but I just really noticed it more in this episode.

-After my third viewing now, I think I've finally got the plot and details more straight in my mind. Took me awhile but I got there :biggrin: Third time's a charm?

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Sunshine » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:02 am

I got to watch the YT link, and I agree on all counts! (The "You're a natural" comment Foyle made to Sam was my favorite moment of the episode! :foyle1: :samkiss: )

From a plot standpoint, it wasn't quite as tightly written by AH as the best FW episodes (a lot of strings running around, and it's unclear where some of them will lead - one gets the feeling Frank's story somewhat approximates Milner's after he's wounded in "The German Woman").

But Foyle is Foyle and Sam is Sam. And that's the best part. :foyle1: :samkiss:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Samfan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:56 pm

Ok, let me get this straight (I'm still a bit confused on some points):

Sir William wanted Foyle to investigate Dr. Fraser [and Sam] because of his connection with Sam. Why? I think it was because he was trying to deflect suspicion off of himself? I still don't understand how he was all involved in the set up. :puzzled:

-Sigh- will have to watch it some more. :geek:

Samfan
Samfan

Postby jewell » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:30 pm

"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby starlight » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:46 pm

Somebody fetch Jewell a fan and a glass of water :lol:
starlight

Postby jewell » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:52 pm

"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

PreviousNext

Return to Series 8 (March-April 2013)