[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - SPOILERS for The Eternity Ring

SPOILERS for The Eternity Ring

The Eternity Ring (July 1946); The Cage (August 1946); Sunflower (Aug/Sept 1946)

Re: SPOILERS for The Eternity Ring

Postby Wolesley » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:47 pm

I agree with previous comments and have watched the episode twice and will watch it again (and again). I am thoroughly delighted with it. Definitely a darker, more mysterious feel to it, with a disturbing threat hanging over Foyle's head - he is initially brought in to work under duress, but then finds his own motivation to pursue the investigation, all the while suspecting everyone around him.

Then in the midst of such danger and murky intrigue, we have the daylight clarity of his caring and honest conversation with Sam - we have our feet planted reassuringly on the ground with their relationship.

This is certainly a more mature, world-weary and independent Sam, and I love the way she stands up to Foyle when it comes to finding out what's going on, and that he accepts her stance as (almost) an equal.
(I loved Sam's line that she will support Adam while he's campaigning, and that he can PAY HER BACK when he is elected!) :rofl:

Hilda Pierce is wonderfully sly; there is so much potential in her storyline and in her working relationship with Foyle!

That last scene after Foyle gets out of the car - his expression is perfect: a hint of a smirk to let us know he just might enjoy himself doing this kind of work. :foyle4:

So excited for the next one!

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby historianheidi » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:05 pm

I echo what everyone else has said so far about how good it is. I still miss Hastings, but the transition to London was done well. Just to add a couple of quick things.
-There are references to Senator Howard Page (was he a Senator in Fifty Ships? I can't remember)
-A bus made a couple of two second appearances. This is not significant to the plot in any way, but it caused much consternation over on Digital Spy and in my household (my husband is a bus geek. :biggrin: ) because it was a Routemaster-the iconic London Bus that didn't appear on London's streets until 1958-and this particular bus probably dates from 1961!

Apart from that, it was nice to see the subtly changed relationship between Foyle and Sam. I can more than understand why she was upset and can also understand where Foyle was coming from. Also good to see Hilda Pierce again. She had some great lines and is an excellent foil for Foyle. :biggrin:
historianheidi

Postby hazeleyes57 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:53 am

hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Englishfan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:18 am

Englishfan

Postby bubbe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:08 am

Well, I think I just took myself out of the running for Luddite of the year. I remain a runner-up, but because of my strong desire to see FW before PBS decreed, I actually downloaded tumblebear myself (ok, it took a little trial and error). I saw the episode tonight and also loved it...Loved the interaction between Sam and CF. Her confiding to him was so touching. MK looks great, a little older and, with more age lines, but don't we all? Still great!! The shift from Hastings and old familiar scenes takes some getting used to but I am on board. Hope this brings MK some more good work. Exciting event Be well. Bubbe
Well,um,he's...he's an American
bubbe

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:12 am

Someone has uploaded the ep to YouTube. Risky move! I can't imagine the video will be allowed to stay there for long, so look in while you can ...

~ Lynne

PS: A reminder to folks who have found Tunnelbear useful for the FW ep - you might now want to check out all the British TV shows that are available on such as the BBC iPlayer. I'm not sure if the proxy server will give access to Channel 4's online player 4oD, but if it does, you will find on that website The Secret World Of Michael Fry.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:35 pm

Thanks, Lynne. I've already found QI. A friend sent me a few episodes last year and I really enjoyed it. I'm sure I'll find other things.

Can't thank you enough for telling us about Tumblebear. :thankyou:

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:24 pm

Congratulations, Bubbe, for triumphing over the technology! :biggrin: Glad you were able to get the episode!

Lesley :samkiss:
Wolesley

Postby RachelToronto » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:40 pm

Being thin and haggard were probably appropriate what with rationing, I suppose.
Utterly brilliantly done, indeed. Can't wait for more.
RachelToronto

Postby dogstar » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Let's hear it for technology, indeed. I watched it too, via expatshield. The performances were everything I had hoped for, especially CF and SSW. I am so glad to see the return of Hilda Pierce. :thumbsup: I think she is one of the show's most fascinating characters, and I would dearly love to know her back story.

Looking forward to the next episode, with much excitement! :biggrin:
Dogstar

"However, I'm richer and you're happier, and I think I know what's best."
dogstar

Postby starlight » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 pm

Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby amiga » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:13 pm

Has anyone who downloaded Tunnelbear had a problem getting into the ITV Player today? It won't let me use the player saying I'm not in the region. I tried to watch something on BBC IPlayer and had no problem. Tried reloading Tunnelbear but it didn't do any good.

It is still on YouTube, strangly enough and I am in the process of downloading it through Firefox.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby RachelToronto » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:17 pm

Yes, let's hope they include iPlayer results, too! Why they can't make arrangements to broadcast around the world on the same day eludes me. LMF, I guess.
RachelToronto

Postby bee » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:22 pm

Well I think just about everything has been said already. Just like everybody else I absolutely loved it. It's so wonderful to have CF/MK back, nobody does it better. And his interaction with Sam and Hilda is fantastic. I agree that it was a great idea to bring her back in this way. I also loved the cinematography/colours.

Much more fun now we can all watch it more or less at the same time....

Can't wait for the two other episodes and hope there will be more!
There is no one else...
bee

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:01 pm

It'll just be a temporary hitch, Amiga. I don't think proxy servers are guaranteed to work every time, so it's probably just a case of trying again later.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:17 pm

amiga

Postby Englishfan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:52 am

This is from METRO.....Monday, March 25, 2013....

http://metro.co.uk/2013/03/25/foyles-war-3555843/

(I added my 2 cents via the comments on the link......)

TV review: Despite a star turn from Michael Kitchen, Foyle’s War’s wordy approach to storytelling is impressive but can feel overbearing.

Michael Kitchen is so good as Foyle, a man perpetually amused, bemused and disappointed by life, yet not quite ready to throw the towel in, that you almost don’t notice the fact that Foyle’s War (ITV) is a very wordy kind of affair. A spot of actual action here and there would provide a spot of light and shade and lift things a touch.

The war in question as Foyle returned after a three-year break was the Cold one, with the former detective back in Britain after an unhappy spell in the US. He seemed a loose cannon, caught up in cloak-and-dagger exchanges with shady MI5 types and, like many of the characters in Anthony Horowitz’s reboot of his tale, struggling to find his place in peacetime.

Skilfully wrapping a convincing picture of post-war Britain around a tangled tale of conflicting loyalties as the atomic age dawned, Horowitz was asking tough questions about what patriotism actually means. The period detail is spot on and the accents impeccable – but at times it came across a little like a lecture.

(Englishfan)
Englishfan

Postby starlight » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:12 am

Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Wolesley » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:42 am

Too many words? Good lord, I was reveling in that sustained conversation between Sam and Foyle! What a treat to watch & listen to MK actually delivering a whole page (or more) of dialogue!

The Amadeus quote is spot on, Starlight.
I experienced a similar exchange after attending an excellent production of Othello at our Bard on the Beach festival a couple of summers ago: as we were leaving, strolling through the lawns of Vanier Park, my dear sister remarked, "So many words! Couldn't they tell the story in a simpler way?" (She's not a big fan of Shakespeare, although otherwise is a wonderful person.) I just smiled. :rofl:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby bee » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:10 am

There is no one else...
bee

PreviousNext

Return to Series 8 (March-April 2013)