SPOILERS for The Eternity Ring

The Eternity Ring (July 1946); The Cage (August 1946); Sunflower (Aug/Sept 1946)

Re: SPOILERS for The Eternity Ring

Postby Samfan » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:50 pm

Thanks Lesley. That was interesting. The article also mentioned a cypher clerk--like the cypher clerk in the episode?

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Wolesley » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:31 pm

Yes it is, though I have to say I'm still confused about that part in the episode. Foyle questions him, figures out his girlfriend is wearing a 'sweetheart pin' and can't possibly still be in Russia, and then...he's a legitimate defector, but amongst the real documents he has stolen Hilda Pierce has planted the fake info about the Eternity Ring...???
I'm still a bit fuzzy about that plot device. Must watch it again and try to divert my eyes from Mr. K.

Historically, that cypher clerk would be Igor Gouzenko, who defected in September of 1945 from the Soviet Embassy in Ottawa, Canada. Causing quite an international stir at the time! Horowitz mentions this in one of the 'making of' videos, I believe.
Gouzenko's main reason for defecting was that he and his family had been recalled to the Soviet Union, and he knew they would have a bleak and harsh life there, which is similar to the reasons behind the FW character's defection.

Lesley

ETA: From Wikipedia
The "Gouzenko Affair" is often credited as a triggering event of the Cold War, with historian Jack Granatstein stating "Gouzenko was the beginning of the Cold War for public opinion" and journalist Robert Fulford writing "I am absolutely certain the Cold War began in Ottawa". The New York Times described Gouzenko's actions as having "awakened the people of North America to the magnitude and the danger of Soviet espionage."
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby amiga » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:22 am

Life was so less complicated in Hastings.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby jewell » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:45 pm

amiga wrote:Life was so less complicated in Hastings.

Amiga

I miss Hastings.
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby amiga » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:56 pm

Me, too.....and everything and everyone in Hastings :sad: I miss the house, I miss old Sam, I miss Andrew and Milner, and on and on. We don't even know where CF lives.

And time marches on. So glad I have all the DVD's to keep watching. Think I only revisited the last series once after it aired.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby mohairMK » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:01 pm

amiga wrote:Me, too.....and everything and everyone in Hastings :sad: I miss the house, I miss old Sam, I miss Andrew and Milner, and on and on. We don't even know where CF lives.

And time marches on. So glad I have all the DVD's to keep watching. Think I only revisited the last series once after it aired.

Same here. The last series, although I love all things MK, just didn't have the spark or charm as the ones set in Hastings. I kept feeling so sorry for Foyle, he seemed so miserable throughout each episode. :foyle3:
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby Sunshine » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:05 pm

Agreed. Post-war Foyle is like post-Hastings Poirot.......(Hopefully not with the same ultimate fate! :foyle4: )
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby kitchentease » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:19 pm

"Red Joan" by Jennie Rooney is an interesting look at the motivation of some Soviet spies during this period. It is loosely based on the story of Melita Norwood, who was finally exposed as a Soviet spy in 1999 at the age of 87.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby TicketyBoo » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:18 am

I, too, miss the Hastings years. And Brookie!
The last series was just so GRAY. Even Foyle had a gray pallor to him. And Sam looked like the war had aged her beyond her years. Or maybe it was putting up with the penniless Adam. Perhaps this was intentional by Anthony Horowitz. :noidea:
TicketyBoo
TicketyBoo

Postby mohairMK » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:03 am

TicketyBoo wrote:I, too, miss the Hastings years. And Brookie!
The last series was just so GRAY. Even Foyle had a gray pallor to him. And Sam looked like the war had aged her beyond her years. Or maybe it was putting up with the penniless Adam. Perhaps this was intentional by Anthony Horowitz. :noidea:

If it WAS intentional, he succeeded in showing how horrible everything was during that time, but lost the spark of hope that the previous episodes had in spite of the war privations.
mohairMK

Postby TicketyBoo » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:13 pm

mohairMK wrote:
TicketyBoo wrote:I, too, miss the Hastings years. And Brookie!

If it WAS intentional, he succeeded in showing how horrible everything was during that time, but lost the spark of hope that the previous episodes had in spite of the war privations.

You speak the truth, my Foyle-ian friend. So, so depressing...
TicketyBoo

Postby mohairMK » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:49 am

TicketyBoo wrote:You speak the truth, my Foyle-ian friend. So, so depressing...

We can only hope the next series is an improvement on this...and that it is NOT the last series...they can't leave our beautiful Foyle in the dregs.
mohairMK

Postby TicketyBoo » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:42 pm

mohairMK wrote:
TicketyBoo wrote:You speak the truth, my Foyle-ian friend. So, so depressing...

We can only hope the next series is an improvement on this...and that it is NOT the last series...they can't leave our beautiful Foyle in the dregs.

I agree. But that photo in the cemetery that made the rounds on Facebook has me positively spooked. If they kill off Samantha, Foyle will certainly be "in the dregs." And let's face it, she's his life force. Or maybe I've read too much fan fiction... TicketyBoo
TicketyBoo

Postby starlight » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:05 pm

TicketyBoo wrote:... But that photo in the cemetery that made the rounds on Facebook has me positively spooked. If they kill off Samantha, Foyle will certainly be "in the dregs." And let's face it, she's his life force. Or maybe I've read too much fan fiction... TicketyBoo

You probably have :wink: . But however you interpret their relationship, it's the only "constant" in the series. So to dismantle it would damage a core element that makes Foyle's War popular (we just have to hope this series isn't the last). Sure, the stories lost their sunny Foyle/Sam interludes in S8, but in the place of those came opportunities to explore the boundaries of trust between the main protagonists. I appreciated the attention paid to those aspects, some of which appreciation I tried to express here. To me, S8 wasn't tarnished, but mature.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby mohairMK » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:11 am

TicketyBoo wrote: If they kill off Samantha, Foyle will certainly be "in the dregs." And let's face it, she's his life force. Or maybe I've read too much fan fiction...

Quite!

Perhaps our Foyle needs to discover a different "life-force"... :wink:
mohairMK

Postby ayresorchids » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:24 pm

Somewhat in keeping with this discussion, I offer this:

http://dancesabove.tumblr.com/post/8964 ... -120-words

:whistling:
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby Jillybean » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:15 am

Sunshine wrote:Post-war Foyle is like post-Hastings Poirot.......

I got that too, the Poirot episodes sans Hastings lacked the warmth and humour they previously had. And the production levels seem to fall in line with the then new Marple series. More 'stars' and more salubrious sets, but far fewer moments of joy.
There's something about you fascinates me...
Jillybean

Postby mohairMK » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:21 pm

Jillybean wrote:I got that too, the Poirot episodes sans Hastings lacked the warmth and humour they previously had. And the production levels seem to fall in line with the then new Marple series. More 'stars' and more salubrious sets, but far fewer moments of joy.

Totally agree with your observations, Jilly.
mohairMK

Postby TicketyBoo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:58 pm

Will be in Hastings next week! I cannot wait... TBoo
TicketyBoo

Postby Wolesley » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:28 pm

Sunshine wrote:Agreed. Post-war Foyle is like post-Hastings Poirot...

Clearly, then, any drama with 'Hastings' in it must retain that element or risk a decline and fall. :whistling:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

PreviousNext

Return to Series 8 (March-April 2013)