SPOILERS for The Eternity Ring

The Eternity Ring (July 1946); The Cage (August 1946); Sunflower (Aug/Sept 1946)

SPOILERS for The Eternity Ring

Postby Wolesley » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:31 am

Post your reactions here. I can't wait for PBS! :obsessed:
Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Re: SPOILERS for The Eternity Ring

Postby Sunshine » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:34 am

Me neither!!!! :obsessed: :obsessed: :foyle1:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby hazeleyes57 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:16 pm

You rotters, I got my hopes up that there were some spoilers here :rofl: :rofl:
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Sunshine » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:29 pm

Well, the ITV summary of the second episode, "The Cage," has the whole durn episode! :foyle3:

Sunshine

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:15 am

Sorry, don't have time to do a rundown of the ep tonight - just wanted to say that I think many folk who were fans of the "old" FW may not take to the new format, as it is so very different, but I thought it was excellent. Everything is different, right from the opening credits, which I must admit I didn't expect to be changed, but they are - and how! They're followed by a dark plot which includes a murder that, rather than being centre stage as usual, is really only a cry from the wings; a sombre Foyle; a Sam with personal problems and looking much older than her years; and - joy of joys - the return of Hilda Pierce. There are lighter moments - Sam backing her husband's bid to stand for election as MP will make you laugh, and Hilda Pierce's conversation with Foyle in the car will make you grin - and sigh with satisfaction, too, I think - well, it did me. This ep is a great start. If the two to come are as good, I do hope more will be commissioned and Mr Hwz will decide to continue writing.

~ Lynne
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Englishfan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:19 am

YEAH! Thanks for the post, Lynne!

Keep them coming, everyone! I will live vicariously as you all tell about the episodes.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby Englishfan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:26 am

Lynnedean wrote: This ep is a great start. If the two to come are as good, I do hope more will be commissioned and Mr Hwz will decide to continue writing.

MUSIC TO MY EARS!!!!!

I'm so happy!

Englishfan (lovely post, Lynne, and look forward to seeing the recap sometime.)
Englishfan

Postby amiga » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:41 am

One good thing about getting older is I won't remember all the spoilers I've read by time it airs here in the US! :smile:

Thanks, Lynne. It sounds terrific. Keep them coming!

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby starlight » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:24 am

I enjoyed it from start to finish, and for the following reasons:

VERY Foyle-centric - he gets lots and lots of screen-time for eyebrow-quirking, being coy, standing up to bullies, telling-it-like-it-is-to-people's-faces and emoting quietly over Sam's welfare. When he isn't on screen, pretty much everybody else is enthusing about his brain or his - um - methods.

VERY Foyle-Sam focussed plot-wise. She is the reason he gets drawn into things he wouldn't normally touch with a barge-pole, the only reason he sticks with it, and a main condition of his staying.

VERY emotionally frank in one particular F/S scene, where she confides a personal secret, then finishes by telling him off, and he, sweet man, sits there and takes it on the chin before offering his perfectly reasonable defence with a hint of puppy eyes.

VERY good performances from Rest of Cast. Great interaction with Ellie Haddington particularly. Even Adam is a success without being obtrusive.

One small grouse: there are some shots of F & S near the beginning that make them both look frighteningly haggard, but they seem to recover as the episode progresses. Foyle needs some serious moisturiser.

The Adam/Sam relationship looks very natural here (for me, it jarred in Series 7), but the writers have wisely ringfenced and, actually, emphasised the F/S bond - to the point where Sam confides to Foyle things she doesn't even tell her husband.

Bits of it were funny enough to make me laugh out loud.

All-in-all, a brilliant start, I thought.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:00 am

A brilliant start indeed. Great review, Starlight, you said it all ... and welcome to the board, by the way. :D

I agree with you about the physical appearance of Foyle and Sam. Mr K's just looking his age, I guess, but Honeysuckle Weeks must put some weight back on, and soon.

~ Lynne
must dash - I'm off to visit a penguin ... don't ask ...
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:25 am

..any chance of a look at the Foyle fics then? (Being a newbie I don't even have the PM rights to ask for access ;0)
starlight

Postby starlight » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:28 am

Back again (to boost my posting quota in a bid for access to the fics..)

A major source of comedy in Ep 1 is the disconnect between Our Hero's "methods" and the cloak-and-dagger doings of the bungling berks in MI5.

Foyle, suitably unimpressed by Secret Service Keystone Koppery, deploys his secret weapon: the simple expedient of asking a chap a direct question.

The "method" operates approximately thus:
"Um - help me out here... why were you lurking on that street-corner/sneaking down that alley/slipping him that envelope?"

It was utterly hilarious.
starlight

Postby historianheidi » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:05 pm

Welcome starlight. :wave:

Not a spoiler exactly, but last night's episode did pretty well in the overnight ratings over here. It attracted an average audience of 7.1 million viewers (8.1 million peak). This compares to around 6 million for the first episode of the last series (The Russian House) in 2010. When the final collated ratings are published that figure should go up. :thumbsup:
historianheidi

Postby ayresorchids » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:02 pm

So happy to learn how well-received it has been!
:foyle1:
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby Englishfan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:55 pm

starlight wrote:ts of it were funny enough to make me laugh out loud.

All-in-all, a brilliant start, I thought.
starlight wrote:The "method" operates approximately thus:
"Um - help me out here... why were you lurking on that street-corner/sneaking down that alley/slipping him that envelope?"

It was utterly hilarious.

Keep writing, Starlight! I'm so excited to EVENTUALLY see the series! Sounds like everyone in the cast is on his/her game.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby Samfan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:02 pm

Thanks to Tunnelbear (an VPN that allows me to access iPlayer--thanks Lynnedean), I was able to watch The Eternity Ring this morning.

Talking about specific aspects of the show here:

-When Foyle gets off the ship and is talking to Valentine, who is standing behind Valentine? Wasn't he from Eagle Day (one of the interrogators who questioned Andrew)?

-Did Frank Shore ever show up in any of the earlier FW's?

-I like the new theme music (but I like the old one better--maybe this new one will grow on me). Sounds rather 'majestic'. The composer is not Jim Parker :| I didn't catch the name in the credits (I was afraid of pausing or rewinding too much--losing MB from Tunnelbear).

-A funny scene: when Sam shows up late to Adams' MP selection hearing. I felt bad for Adam.

-All in all, I really liked it. Although we didn't see Foyle in his home, it did not have that 'rushed' feel from the 3 episodes from series 6 (at least, I felt that they were rushed--Foyle running around all over the place--not seeing him relaxing at home).

-I did get a bit lost in all of the characters and plot (but, that's not so unusual for me--just more reason to watch them over and over :D

-Glad we saw more of Miss Pierce.

-I'm glad that Foyle said, when saying that he needed Sam as his driver, that the MI5 owed it to her (for setting her up), and that he did, too.

Can't wait to see the rest of them!!

Samfan

ETA: changed Fifty Ships to Eagle Day
Last edited by Samfan on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Sunshine » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:30 pm

It all sounds great. (I'll miss Jim Parker's FW theme, though. :foyle4: ) Looking forward to reading more! :foyle1:

Sunshine

Postby Englishfan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:11 pm

I'm so excited to hear such wonderful things about FW and Mr. Kitchen's performance in it, that I have see how Mr. Kitchen can just let his acting speak for itself.

I would love to hear from him in some format or other, but I think I have just been missing him on the screen more than needing him to change into an interviewee. Although I haven't seen him in this series yet, I "get it."

To change him into a speaker and a limelight chaser would also change him into a typical actor. We know he's better than that.

My dear friend showed me an article today from the Telegraph that indicated Mr. Kitchen was greyer and more stout than before. Made me want to cry. Aren't we all greyer and more stout? Did it have to be said? Can't we just see that? Then I felt so sad for Mr. Kitchen to be exposed to lines like that and I hope he didn't read my comments about demanding how he behave.

My apologies.

Someone gently stop me when I miss him next and demand he speak!

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby amiga » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:24 pm

Just watched it on Tunnelbear. Thanks so much for that recommendation!

I agree with everything that's been said. Brilliant......MK has not skipped a beat. I'm not big on spy subjects, and I will better understand all of it after I watch it again. Loved all of his scenes with Hilda. She is a perfect match for him and I'm delighted that she is back. His scenes with Sam are always the best. Loved her giving him what for and him trying to explain. Fun to see them on equal footing where she would feel free to do that.

I might actually have to pay for Tunnelbear as I don't think the free version will allow me to watch the upcoming episodes.

Oh, I'm not mad at him anymore. I know, I'm easy :lol:

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby vicky » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:24 pm

Here's another satisfied viewer. MK was his usual brilliant self.
So who cares if he looks older and greyer, he still has the ability
to dominate every scene he appears in, and that twinkly smile is
as beguiling as ever. I loved his terse exchanges with Hilda Pierce,
and his reunion with Sam was very well done. His concern for her
was very touching. I did find the spy ring a bit confusing, all those
sinister men meeting in dark corners, but subsequent views will sort
that out. Maybe MK will treat Sam to a good meal very soon, though,
before she fades away.

Vicky.
vicky

Next

Return to Series 8 (March-April 2013)