The Making of!

The Eternity Ring (July 1946); The Cage (August 1946); Sunflower (Aug/Sept 1946)

The Making of!

Postby bee » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:35 pm

Yippieh, finally more info regarding the new series - here's the making of which will also be part of the upcoming DVD set! :thumbsup:

No interview with MK, we didn't expect that did we, but he looks great in the couple of short scenes that we see him in. Quite interesting to see more of Jill Green and some interesting insights about MK by Stewart Orme (the things the others have to say about him we have kind of heard before but it's always nice to hear them again of course). I think I like the new Adam...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fbk0tg1oTQ
There is no one else...
bee

Re: The Making of!

Postby Babba » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:13 pm

bee wrote:Yippieh, finally more info regarding the new series - here's the making of which will also be part of the upcoming DVD set! :thumbsup:

Brilliant! Thanks for posting.

Interesting that Jill Green thinks MK is very like Foyle.

Beth
Babba

Postby bellis » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:08 pm

Great find, thank you, Bee!

Here's hoping there's a bit more chemistry between Sam and the new Adam which I thought was lacking with the old one.
bellis

Postby amiga » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:23 pm

Thanks, Bee.

It's his show.....Just think he could have said a few words.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:34 pm

Very interesting. I'm hoping to learn a lot about the immediate post-war period from the new series, Mr AHwz having done all the research for me.

Re the interviews, I have to say that I don't understand why Michael Kitchen has yet again not said even a few words in the DVD extra about about the character of Foyle or the making of FW. Seems to me you're being a touch too precious, Mr K, and the attitude disappoints.

~ Lynne
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:57 pm

Lynnedean wrote:Very interesting. I'm hoping to learn a lot about the immediate post-war period from the new series, Mr AHwz having done all the research for me.

Re the interviews, I have to say that I don't understand why Michael Kitchen has yet again not said even a few words in the DVD extra about about the character of Foyle or the making of FW. Seems to me you're being a touch too precious, Mr K, and the attitude disappoints.

~ Lynne

I so agree, Lynne. Foyle will be completely different and I think it would have been nice to hear what MK thinks of the new Foyle. OK, I get he doesn't want to do personal interviews, but part of the job is to talk about your project. I don't think a few words would have killed him. Really disappointing.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:48 pm

Yes, surely Honeysuckle would have held his hand to get him through a few words about his character's new challenges... :foyle4:
Or if he doesn't want to talk as himself, he could speak as Foyle being interviewed about his book on the history of the police in Hastings! :biggrin:

Oh well, a nice look behind the scenes! Thanks again, Bee!
I'll just go watch the FW theme guitar solo as a consolation!

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby foylefan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:01 am

Thank you very much, Bee! MK was conspicuous with his absence; unfortunate. I'm very excited about Hilda Pierce being so much a part of the story. And I do like the new Adam--somehow he reminds me a bit of Christopher Timothy from All Creatures Great and Small. How exciting!
foylefan

Postby Sunshine » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:41 am

Glad to finally see some clips!!! It's good to know that Foyle hasn't lost that dry sense of humor, and that Sam looks much better than those first pictures we saw last fall. Guess we'll see what kind of chemistry she has with the new Adam. (Is this going to get like the two Darrins on "Bewitched?" :lol: )

Would've loved to see a better Foyle-Sam clip, of course, with the humor that usually entails. :foylekiss: :samkiss:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby bee » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:14 pm

By the way, did anyone pay attention to the music at the beginning? Provided it is from the score of the new series, does it sound parker-ish to you? I think it does - but not at all sure. What do you think? :puzzled:
There is no one else...
bee

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:58 pm

It sounds very Parkerish, Bee - reminiscent of the theme of House of Cards, also by Mr P.

~ Lynne
Last edited by Lynnedean on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby jewell » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:02 pm

Yay! Finally got to see this.

It would have been nice for a quick MK bit but I think (hope, is more like it) that he has done a full on interview for the DVD and they're holding that tidbit back until release to boost sales!

Fantasy-land, I'm sure.

Jewell
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby amiga » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:03 pm

jewell wrote:Yay! Finally got to see this.
It would have been nice for a quick MK bit but I think (hope, is more like it) that he has done a full on interview for the DVD and they're holding that tidbit back until release to boost sales!
Fantasy-land, I'm sure.
Jewell

Keep dreaming, Jewel. AH's reply to comment on MK not being on DVD

@AnthonyHorowitz ............. He will not be moved.

Sorry MK didn't feel it was important enough to be part of it. Very disappointing

Amiga
amiga

Postby jewell » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:15 pm

amiga wrote:Keep dreaming, Jewel. AH's reply to comment on MK not being on DVD

@AnthonyHorowitz ............. He will not be moved.

Sorry MK didn't feel it was important enough to be part of it. Very disappointing

Amiga

Well, CRUD!

It certainly is too bad.

It begs the question, what moved him when he has granted interviews? And the ones I'm thinking of all were for other people's shows. This is his show.

Of course those interviews (Oliver Twist, The Last Contract, the newspaper where he talks briefly about his sons, etc.) were all many, many years ago now. Perhaps it's gotten more difficult for him.

Nevertheless, he's still The Man.

Jewell
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby amiga » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:37 pm

I get that he doesn't want to do interviews. This would not be an interview by some unknown reporter. This would just be a short comment on the new role of Foyle. Just a few words, written beforehand, by someone else if he doesn't want to be bothered, to be part of HIS show DVD! No personal questions or answers required.

Yes, he is still The Man; but as you can tell, I'm feeling a little disappointed in him right now.

Amiga
amiga

Postby Englishfan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:46 pm

amiga wrote: I'm feeling a little disappointed in him right now.

Amiga

Disappointed, to say the least.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby clpokorny » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:19 am

While it would be nice to hear something from Mr K, i really rather respect him for sticking to his guns, as it were. He has said in the rather more recent past that he doesn't do interviews -- perhaps he had a bad experience. And I understand that he wouldn't do one for his own show, because doing one sets a precedent -- it becomes a slippery slope at that point -- how then do you turn down one interview yet do another without making people upset? You simply cannot, so I respect him for being true to his convictions. perhaps he chooses to let his work speak for itself, would that many other entertainers would act similarily!
Peace,
Chris.
clpokorny

Postby Florrie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:16 am

Maybe MK thought he had everything covered after his 2004 "interview" (more like a Q&A) for the Radio Times. :foyle4:
Florrie

Postby sylvia » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:58 pm

MK did make some comments in the accompanying printed publicity for the very early FWs - but it did sound like getting blood from a stone! He must have something about not giving interviews written into his contract each time. Perhaps if he insists on this in all his work, that is why we don't see as much of him as the world deserves. Producers must want their stars to help publicise the programmes, so they select someone who co-operates.

Despite all this, we love you Mr K and are grateful for what we get.
sylvia

Postby Englishfan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:46 pm

sylvia wrote:Perhaps if he insists on this in all his work, that is why we don't see as much of him as the world deserves. Producers must want their stars to help publicise the programmes, so they select someone who co-operates.

I think you are right. Others in the industry show public gratitude and take risks with interviews.

The co-stars were generous to Mr. Kitchen and his abilities in the "Making of" piece. I would like to have heard him pay respect to their talents, too.

Surely he did that privately, but his co-stars were willing to honor him publicly. What an honor for them if he had shown public gratitude by someone they seem to respect.

I may decide to believe that he did the guitar video in gratitude for his opportunities on FW and to his co-stars.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Next

Return to Series 8 (March-April 2013)